PDA

View Full Version : New MU coach

Sully
02-08-2006, 09:55 AM
I heard it discussed on the radio a bit yesterday, but I was only passively listening.
Is there a prelim list of coaches that could possibly end up in Columbia?
Wishes/wants?

Saulbadguy
02-08-2006, 09:56 AM
McDermott from UNI? Lowery from SIU? Mike Anderson from UAB? Huggy Bear?

Sully
02-08-2006, 09:57 AM
I also heard Altman and Calipari mentioned. Is there a chance in hell for either of these?

Saulbadguy
02-08-2006, 09:57 AM
I also heard Altman and Calipari mentioned. Is there a chance in hell for either of these?
Calipari = no chance in hell. Why would he leave Memphis?

I would be absolutely tickled if MU hired Altman.

Dave Lane
02-08-2006, 10:01 AM
I heard Matt Dougherty was a possibility for them.

Dave

Hoover
You guys want Steve Alford?

Saulbadguy
I heard Matt Dougherty was a possibility for them.

Dave
That'd be funny.

Cochise
02-08-2006, 10:03 AM
Keitzman had a guy on last night, I forget his name but he's the guy he gets on for these kinds of things, and he swore that he kept hearing Calipari was interested. No one could make sense of it, but he said that was what he was hearing, maybe he's unhappy there for some reason.

Beilein (sp?) at West Virginia was also said to be interested in the job.

Sure-Oz
02-08-2006, 10:24 AM
Get someone who can coach and bring in good players please...

Woodrow Call
02-08-2006, 10:29 AM
A couple of posters on Tigerboard say that it will be Pat Knight according to their sources. Take it for what its worth.

nychief
02-08-2006, 10:30 AM
Keitzman had a guy on last night, I forget his name but he's the guy he gets on for these kinds of things, and he swore that he kept hearing Calipari was interested. No one could make sense of it, but he said that was what he was hearing, maybe he's unhappy there for some reason.

Beilein (sp?) at West Virginia was also said to be interested in the job.

Why would Beilein want to leave the best team in the Big East? I know that the big 12 is much better - but is Mizzou that much more high profile? It might make sense since WV could hire Huggins (alum) and bring in his awesome class to boot.

Sully
I thought Knight had the deal at Texas Tech that Sutton did at Oklahoma State, where he's already the guy once his dad steps down.

ct
Some local rumbling down here in DooDah talking about Turgeon in Mizzou. Frankly I don't think he's proved anything here at WSU, let alone even discussing why he's ready for the Big12.

nychief
02-08-2006, 10:31 AM
I thought Knight had the deal at Texas Tech that Sutton did at Oklahoma State, where he's already the guy once his dad steps down.

he does. it was annouced last year.

nychief
02-08-2006, 10:33 AM
norm stewart jr.? Jed Frost?

How about some one who is clean - and teaches defense and might have an offensive philo.

redhed
02-08-2006, 10:34 AM
It's gonna be Watkins.
A lil' bird told me.

nychief
02-08-2006, 10:34 AM
It's gonna be Watkins.
A lil' bird told me.

melvin watkins?

Cochise
02-08-2006, 10:38 AM
Why would Beilein want to leave the best team in the Big East? I know that the big 12 is much better - but is Mizzou that much more high profile? It might make sense since WV could hire Huggins (alum) and bring in his awesome class to boot.

The local sports radio's 'sources' had supposedly confirmed his interest. For what it's worth - they aren't the most credible station in the world.

Reasons listed:
-Snyder is apparently getting paid a LOT more money than he is at WV.
-There was some connection between him and the Lauries.
-Him getting out of the Big East, and into a conference that's not as rough to play in right now.

nychief
02-08-2006, 10:42 AM
The local sports radio's 'sources' had supposedly confirmed his interest. For what it's worth - they aren't the most credible station in the world.

Reasons listed:
-Snyder is apparently getting paid a LOT more money than he is at WV.
-There was some connection between him and the Lauries.
-Him getting out of the Big East, and into a conference that's not as rough to play in right now.

I like him as a coach - recruits regionally - recruits good college players (not NBA hopefuls) - has off. and def. systems (little tired of snyders' "inside out" offense).

Sfeihc
02-08-2006, 10:49 AM
Mizzou's new basketball coach will be Bobby Knight.

Cochise
02-08-2006, 10:51 AM
I like him as a coach - recruits regionally - recruits good college players (not NBA hopefuls) - has off. and def. systems (little tired of snyders' "inside out" offense).

Now that I think about it, I believe they also said Beilein's family was from the Iowa area someplace, and that could be a factor. (could be mistaken)

Missouri will want a squeaky-clean coach. Even among the fan base here, the feeling is that Snyder is probably more dirty than we know and I don't know any supporters he has left. After the investigation stuff they seemed to be pretty much all gone. I have wanted his head for 2 or 3 years now. They will want to go after someone with a sparkling record and no character questions.

Someone who runs an actual offense and defense would be important. After the stark contrast between the And1 ball Snyder plays and the structure of the Stewart era, I think it's perfectly clear which one works better and will have the respect of fans, donors, alumni.

We need a recruiter who won't fly straight out of the midwest and head to urban centers in other regions when recruiting. Somebody who will cultivate this state as a base source of players to go with star potential from other areas.

Missouri isn't an upper echelon basketball job. But it's a job in a major conference with a team that is playing in a brand new arena that largely has a winning tradition in the conference, and one that will come with a pretty nice salary. It is an attractive job for a coach on his way up. There's no excuse not to make a good hire, because this isn't a place like K-State or Baylor that would probably have a hard time competing with a lot of other schools for a head coach. No excuse not to make a good hire.

Cochise
02-08-2006, 10:53 AM
Totally agree with you about NBA recruits. I want someone who recruits solid college players first.

Saulbadguy
02-08-2006, 11:27 AM
Some local rumbling down here in DooDah talking about Turgeon in Mizzou. Frankly I don't think he's proved anything here at WSU, let alone even discussing why he's ready for the Big12.
MU would never hire a former Jayhawk.