PDA

View Full Version : Hypothetical: Symbols of Earth and Mankind.

Rain Man
02-08-2006, 01:43 PM
I have no proof that this is going to happen, but let's imagine that sun is about to blow up. It's kicking off big solar flares, and it's frying Mercury, and we know that we've got about 4 hours before we all become pork fritters.

Conveniently, NASA has a deep space probe on the launch pad, and it's set to take off. NASA has pulled off all of the sensors and cameras and stuff, and they've made room for six items, not to exceed 20 pounds in total, to be packed aboard the probe.* (Assume that you cannot be one of those six items.)

The sun is going to destroy any electronic media, so you cannot simply load the box with memory chips that describe the sum of all mankind's knowledge and inventions. There is no way to send electronics that store information. Repeat: no way to send electronics that store information. You can place photos, books, pictures, or anything else that is tangible aboard the probe, within the weight limits described above, but you cannot place electronics that store information on board.

What six items would you place aboard the probe to serve as the only proof that mankind ever existed?

* You are limited to six items due to space requirements and due to NASA policy 6-540284, which states that no more than six "personal items" may be brought aboard any spacecraft.

Rain Man
02-08-2006, 01:46 PM
I think I'd start with a human skull.

Perhaps a photo of an astronaut on the moon.

Maybe a diagram that shows as many as possible of the various kingdoms, families, and species of life on earth.

Donger
02-08-2006, 01:47 PM
A world map.
A vibrator.
A copy of the Declaration of Independence.
A Slinky.
A mirror.
A Buddy Christ.

Pitt Gorilla
02-08-2006, 01:52 PM
Human DNA map

sedated
02-08-2006, 01:54 PM
a job for Rain Man.

seriously, you've got too much time on your hands

SquirrellyBastard
02-08-2006, 01:55 PM
A pic of the Chiefs SB trophy
A Rubix Cube
A nudie pic of me porking the wife (next civilization to inhabit earth will worship me because of this)
A Playboy
A Bible
A box of Girl Scout Shortbread Cookies

DaneMcCloud
02-08-2006, 02:31 PM
A Globe in color with relief
A bottle of wine
A bottle of beer
A fully preserved male skeleton
A fully preserved female skeleton
An issue of Hustler

Ultra Peanut
02-08-2006, 02:40 PM
Wouldn't the probe get wiped out by the sun, too?

Anyways, whenever I think of the total destruction of our species and planet as a whole, I get really tingly and excited... err, I mean, depressed.

Ultra Peanut
02-08-2006, 02:41 PM
I do not trust Jupiter.

Saulbadguy
02-08-2006, 02:42 PM
Autographed picture of Christian Okoye.

Rain Man
02-08-2006, 02:48 PM
Wouldn't the probe get wiped out by the sun, too?

Anyways, whenever I think of the total destruction of our species and planet as a whole, I get really tingly and excited... err, I mean, depressed.

The probe will be shielded by a SAFCO firesafe trash can. See picture here, as seen in Saul's office: http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?p=3026075#post3026075

cdcox
02-08-2006, 03:36 PM
Figure 20 lb of paper = 5000 pages. Standard microprinting can provide 900 characters per square mm.

That works out to about 250 GB, without going to anything elaborate.

I would find the 250 GB of most essential human knowldege and shoot that into space. :p

Saulbadguy
02-08-2006, 03:45 PM
Figure 20 lb of paper = 5000 pages. Standard microprinting can provide 900 characters per square mm.

That works out to about 250 GB, without going to anything elaborate.

I would find the 250 GB of most essential human knowldege and shoot that into space. :p
Wikipedia FTW!

Ultra Peanut
02-08-2006, 03:50 PM
After thinking this over and deliberating for days on end with some of the top philosophers in the world, I have decided upon the following:

! A photograph of Leonard Maltin
! "Who is Mike Jones?" CD case
!!! Three live centipedes
! An ice cream cone

Iowanian
02-08-2006, 03:53 PM
A stretch Armstrong Doll
A Case Pocketknife
A crate of Jello Cups
A Bible
A link to Chiefsplanet and a copy of the directory on a server

Reaper16
02-08-2006, 04:00 PM
1 bottle of Shatto chocolate milk
1 copy of Oscar Wilde's "The Importance of Being Earnest"
1 copy of Moliere's "The Miser"
The entire 8 album discography of the band Opeth
1 airtight container containing Arthur Bryant's burnt ends.

The above represents the pinnacle of human achievement.

Smed1065
02-08-2006, 04:02 PM

Like it keeps up and running without a catastrophe!

Reaper16
02-08-2006, 04:04 PM
Ideally, a different server than the one current. :)

Iowanian
02-08-2006, 04:04 PM
A locally stored Archive my friend....no network or server problems to deal with.....a Gdorklon could make it work.