PDA

View Full Version : Exercise Equipment

luv
02-08-2006, 02:05 PM
What I have available to me are the follow (not including any type of stationary weight machines):

Treadmill
Row Machine
Exercise Bike
Stairstepper

I could walk on the treadmill for forever. The row machine, I can do for 5-10 minutes. Same with the bike. Stairstepper, about 5 minutes. I usually do two of them when I work out then do some stuff on the stationary weight machines. Which ones are the best to use? I know that I'll be able to up my time on each over a period of time. The areas that I really need to work on the most are my stomach and thighs. Believe it or not, my butt isn't that bad compared to the other two.

luv
02-12-2006, 06:47 PM
Hmmm...

No thoughts on this, I guess. I'll just keep doing what I'm doing. Thanks anyway. :)

mcan
03-01-2006, 03:21 PM
Hmmm...

No thoughts on this, I guess. I'll just keep doing what I'm doing. Thanks anyway. :)

OK, here you go:

If you want to lose weight, you need to burn more calories than you take in. Most of the calories that you burn don't come from exercise, they come from your resting metabolic rate.

It's imperitive that you are counting calories if you are trying to a plan an exersice/diet program, and that you understand exactly how many calories you should be eating and hit that number each day within a hundred or so, or else you'll either not eat enough, and lost muscle mass just as much as you lose fat, or you'll eat too much and not lose a thing...

It's also really important that you know approximately how many calories you are burning when you exercise... That way you can know almost exactly what type of weight loss goals you can achieve.

It's also very important to monitor your heart rate. The reason you can't go very long on the stepper is because you're heart rate is going above your lactic acid threahold (usually around 80-90% of your maximum heart rate). It is at this point where you produce more lactic acid than your body can create new energy from and the remainder makes your muscles and cardiovascular system start to shut down. So the answer is, monitor your heart rate and stay below your threshold. In fact, it's generally accepted that for fat loss, you should stay well below that (around the mid 60s%). This is what happens when you walk at a fairly quick pace on a treadmill. You're burning fat but not getting very tired. (walking at a pace of about 2 steps per second should burn X number of calories per half hour where X is equal to your weight in pounds. So if you weight 130, you'll burn about 260 calories in an hour walking quickly).

The tradeoff is, of course, that you don't burn a whole ton of calories just walking, because 1) it doesn't involve a lot of motion, and 2) it isn't very intense.

So, in order to burn more calories in less time (without making your heart rate skyrocket) you have to do something more intense, that involves more actualy movement. Remember that a calorie is not a physical THING. It's a unit of energy, just like temperature is a unit of energy that measures the AMOUNT of energy in a given substance, a calorie measures the amount of time it takes to completey burn off a given substance at a given temperature. Your body's temperature varies by only a few degrees in your entire life, so certain foods take forever to burn off so they get a higher calorie RATING. FAT contains more energy than protein or carbohydrates, so you have to burn for a long time for just a little fat to go away. 3500 calories = One pound of fat.

So let's look at an average woman that is 28 y/o, 5'3" and 130 pounds...
-Her ideal weight (according to dieticians) is 115 pounds...
-Her resting metabolic rate should be somewhere around 1800 calories/day
-Her target heart rate for burning fat should be around 120ish bpm.
-If she were to exercise for an hour at this heart rate on any of the above machines she would probably burn about 400 calories.
-If she were to walk for an hour she would burn around 260 calories.
-If she cuts her food intake down to 1300 calories a day she will be naturally burning bout 500 calories throught her metabolic rate.

Given all these factors she should lose a pound of body fat (cutting calories, walking one hour a day, and working out one hour a day) in: 1300 - 1800 - 400 - 260 = -(1160).... This means that every day she does this, she will lose about 1/3 of a pound. Or, she will lose a pound of body fat every three days she does this program. If that weight loss rate stayed constant (which it does not) whe would reach her target weight in (15x3) = 45 days. These numbers are approximate, and weight loss will become more difficult as you get smaller but it provides a pretty reasonable guess. This is, of course, if you have the will power to work out without fail every day, and eat only 1300 calories worth of competely clean food. You can't be going to McDonalds and expect to be able to convert that heavily processed garbage into efficient energy. You can't drink 500 calories worth of soda and get enough nutrition in the rest of your diet to allow your body to renourish itself after a workout. You'll get tired and lathargic, and quit.

One myth (that you alluded to in your post header) is that of SPOT REDUCTION. There is no such thing. Your body burns fat as energy from genetically programmed places first, second, third... There is nothing you can do to change that order. So, just because you work out your abs, and you are burning fat does not mean that fat is coming off of your abs. If you're genetically programmed to burn the fat stored in your arms and face before you burn off the stomach, you'll do that first. The only thing you can do is try to get down to a reasonable body fat percentage and you'll look good all over.

luv
03-04-2006, 01:34 AM
Um, I realize the basics of losing weight. Exercising helps tone certain areas of your body. Like walking helps your stomach as well as your thighs. I'm just wondering which ones are best to use for lower impact. Of course, I won't be working out until I can get my back fixed. :banghead:

sedated
03-06-2006, 02:53 PM
The treadmill is the best for weight loss, but thay would involve running.

Running burns the most calories (about 100 in 10 minutes), but is also high-impact.

2nd best is the eliptical. It burns nearly as much as running, is low-impact, and (depanding on how much $$ you spend) can be adjusted (resistance and angle) to work specific muscles harder.

Row machines suck.

Stairstepper is good, but is slower and therefore burns less calories. better for building muscles in legs and butt.