PDA

View Full Version : Interesting blurb about Gibbs..

The Bad Guy
02-09-2006, 01:58 AM
This is from profootballtalk.com, but it's interesting that Kubiak thought enough of him to offer him the DC job...

KUBIAK WANTED GIBBS

One of the more intriguing story lines to date in the 2006 offseason has been the status of former Broncos secondary coach David Gibbs.

Gibbs abruptly was fired by Broncos coach Mike Shanahan in November 2004. Shanahan never gave a reason for the move, and we'd heard that defensive coordinator Larry Coyer instigated the move (http://www.profootballtalk.com/11-01-04through11-15-04.htm) because players were going to Gibbs more often than to Coyer with questions.

Recent developments suggest that, indeed, the move had nothing to do with Gibbs' abilities. Why? Because we're now told that Shanahan lieutenant Gary Kubiak offered Gibbs the job of defensive coordinator with the Houston Texans.

Gibbs declined the offer, opting instead to join the Kansas City Chiefs as defensive backs coach after spending a year as the defensive coordinator at Auburn.

"Her family lives in Lawrence (http://www.al.com/sports/huntsvilletimes/index.ssf?/base/sports/1138961990182510.xml&coll=1)," Gibbs recently said. "With a second child on the way, this was the perfect opportunity to get closer to her home."

If Gibbs plays his cards right, he might be in line to succeed current Chiefs defensive coordinator Gunther Cunningham.

Unless, of course, too many of the Kansas City defenders go to Gibbs with questions than to Cunningham.

DaWolf
02-09-2006, 02:43 AM
All I really care about is if he can turn Julian Battle into a player...

greg63
02-09-2006, 06:39 AM
:hmmm: :shrug:

chefsos
02-09-2006, 07:10 AM
Good! Another guy with motivation to stick it to Denver.

Mike in SW-MO
02-09-2006, 07:20 AM
Good! Another guy with motivation to stick it to Denver.

That's never a bad thing. :clap:

BigChiefFan
02-09-2006, 07:23 AM
Sounds like the players believe in him and that's what counts. I hope he coaches 'em up.

greg63
02-09-2006, 07:43 AM
Sounds like the players believe in him and that's what counts. I hope he coaches 'em up.

Ditto.

KCTitus
02-09-2006, 07:54 AM
Interesting and heartening...lets hope it makes itself evident on the field.

Tuckdaddy
02-09-2006, 08:16 AM
[QUOTE=Mike in SW-MO]That's never a bad thing. :clap:[/QUOTE

Damn right it's not.

htismaqe
02-09-2006, 09:13 AM
I'm really starting to get stoked about this coaching staff.

Maybe Blackmon, Krumrie, and Gibbs can elevate Gunther's game a bit...

foxman
02-09-2006, 09:17 AM
All I really care about is if he can turn Julian Battle into a player...

I don't think our problems are limited to Julian Battle...so maybe he can turn a few guys into NFL players.

Eitherway, if we are somehow sticking it to the man......then yeah it's a good thing.

TEX
02-09-2006, 10:31 AM
I'm really starting to get stoked about this coaching staff.

Maybe Blackmon, Krumrie, and Gibbs can elevate Gunther's game a bit...

IMO, Gun was really strapped by the other defensive coaches. Seems now we'll have the opportunity to know for sure.

kaplin42
02-09-2006, 10:36 AM
IMO, Gun was really strapped by the other defensive coaches. Seems now we'll have the opportunity to know for sure.

Even more so, I think Gun was strapped by DV. Hopefully Herm lets him take control of the defense and run it how he wants to. No more P. Surtain 5 yards off his man all the time.

Now that the coaching staff is in place I'm really looking to see what the collective barganing agreement is going to be, as that will directly effect our FA activity.

Garcia Bronco
02-09-2006, 10:44 AM
David Gibbs is not a good coach...he's a poor secondary coach...and that's the reason he got fired. The question that was being asked of him by players was..."WTF are you doing?"

TEX
02-09-2006, 10:46 AM
David Gibbs is not a good coach...he's a poor secondary coach...and that's the reason he got fired. The question that was being asked of him by players was..."WTF are you doing?"

The same way that Ray Rhodes was a bad DC?

BigChiefFan
02-09-2006, 10:46 AM
Why would Kubiak offer him the job to become the DEFENSIVE COORDINATOR, then?

TEX
02-09-2006, 10:48 AM
Even more so, I think Gun was strapped by DV. Hopefully Herm lets him take control of the defense and run it how he wants to. No more P. Surtain 5 yards off his man all the time.

Now that the coaching staff is in place I'm really looking to see what the collective barganing agreement is going to be, as that will directly effect our FA activity.

Don't hold your breadth on FA this year. Peterson has already stated that we won't be as active as last year. It's all BS as many teams seem to find a way to do it every year, and one of them is in the AFC West.

TEX
02-09-2006, 10:49 AM

Don't you know that to Bronco fan, most anything "ex-Bronco" is not good? Ironic that anything "ex-Cardinal" or "ex-Brown" is. :hmmm:

kaplin42
02-09-2006, 10:57 AM
Don't hold your breadth on FA this year. Peterson has already stated that we won't be as active as last year. It's all BS as many teams seem to find a way to do it every year, and one of them is in the AFC West.

Yeah I wasnt figuring on as much as last year, but I was kinda hoping for another pass rushing DL and maybe a ROLB that understands the concept of tackling someone.

But speaking of which, does anyone have any news on the Collective Barganing Agreement. The last thing I heard, although nice for our cap, was a little bit out there so I took it with a grain of salt.

The Bad Guy
02-09-2006, 11:14 AM

Why should he be as active as last year?

They can't bring in 5 more new starters.

I never read that though, so if you could, please reference where he said he wouldn't be as active.

keg in kc
02-09-2006, 11:18 AM
He said it in at least one radio interview I've heard (Petro's show). Typical cash and cap dollars comment.

chefsos
02-09-2006, 11:18 AM
Why should he be as active as last year?

They can't bring in 5 more new starters.

I never read that though, so if you could, please reference where he said he wouldn't be as active.
Well, I don't have it handy in print but I heard Carl, on the radio, say that to Petro in Detroit last week, FWIW.

chefsos
02-09-2006, 11:19 AM
He said it in at least one radio interview I've heard (Petro's show). Typical cash and cap dollars comment.
Once again, I am owned.

The Bad Guy
02-09-2006, 11:21 AM

It makes sense. The Chiefs shouldn't have to bring in 5 new starters.

If Fox is healthy, they can start him and go out and get a DT, DE and safety to replace Wesley - with one of them coming with the 20th pick - and be set on defense.

Garcia Bronco
02-09-2006, 11:36 AM
The same way that Ray Rhodes was a bad DC?

Rhodes is a bad DC.

Garcia Bronco
02-09-2006, 11:37 AM

I can't testify to why that would be, but I will say that he lucked-out if he did. You'll see.

htismaqe
02-09-2006, 11:40 AM

Name FIVE NFL franchises that sign big-name free agents every offseason.

You can't? You can only find the Redskins?

What is BS is people like you propagating this myth that this behavior is unique to the Chiefs...

Mr. Laz
02-09-2006, 11:52 AM
didn't the donks struggle developing cornerbacks while Gibbs was there?

drafting corner after corner with no results...

then Gibbs gets fired and the next year the donks start 2 rookies with success.

:shrug:

doesn't sound too promising to me.

Garcia Bronco
02-09-2006, 11:58 AM
didn't the donks struggle developing cornerbacks while Gibbs was there?

drafting corner after corner with no results...

then Gibbs gets fired and the next year the donks start 2 rookies with success.

:shrug:

doesn't sound too promising to me.

That's the thing...I don't know what happened behind the scenes...he might make the KC secondary the best in the league.....but here's what I do know...6 games after Champ Bailey, the best cover corner in the game today, arrived he was fired...we couldn't buy an intercept while he was here...as soon as he left...the int's went up. You take that for what it's worth. He also hand picked Willie Middlebrooks as our #1 pick...and WM is out of the league.

The Bad Guy
02-09-2006, 12:10 PM
That's the thing...I don't know what happened behind the scenes...he might make the KC secondary the best in the league.....but here's what I do know...6 games after Champ Bailey, the best cover corner in the game today, arrived he was fired...we couldn't buy an intercept while he was here...as soon as he left...the int's went up. You take that for what it's worth. He also hand picked Willie Middlebrooks as our #1 pick...and WM is out of the league.

I don't know what will happen with him either, but if your assistant defensive back's coach is making the call on a first round draft pick then every scout should be fired.

If you don't know what happened behind the scenes, how do you know that he handpicked Middlebrooks?

TEX
02-09-2006, 12:12 PM
Name FIVE NFL franchises that sign big-name free agents every offseason.

You can't? You can only find the Redskins?

What is BS is people like you propagating this myth that this behavior is unique to the Chiefs...

Big name? Never said big name. I simply said free agents. What is really BS is you answering your own questions for people and stating that they're propagating myths.

So, do you want me to list the teams that sign more free agents than the Chiefs? Is that what you're asking me?

htismaqe
02-09-2006, 12:16 PM
Big name? Never said big name. I simply said free agents. What is really BS is you answering your own questions for people and stating that they're propagating myths.

So, do you want me to list the teams that sign more free agents than the Chiefs? Is that what you're asking me?

So now your criteria is ANY free agents?

We sign free agents EVERY YEAR. Name a year where we haven't.

The reason you responded the way you did is because you know that your entire premise is false and you don't know how to defend it.

htismaqe
02-09-2006, 12:19 PM
By the way, I should point you back to your original post:

So again, I issue the same challenge. Name FIVE teams in the NFL that spend as much money as we did last year on Knight, Surtain, and Bell EVERY YEAR.

milkman
02-09-2006, 08:44 PM
I don't know why anyone is paying any attention to what profootballtalk.com is saying? :shrug:

listopencil
02-09-2006, 09:12 PM
From what I remember: Coyer was establishing his defensive scheme and Gibbs didn't go along with it. Gibbs made adjustments to coverages during games that went against what Coyer wanted to do. This went on for about half a year and it caused a problem. DB's were asking Gibbs questions because he wasn't telling them to do what Coyer wanted them to and they knew it. Gibbs and Coyer had at least one meeting, then Shanny had a meeting with one or both of them. The bye week came and Gibbs was fired. The asst. secondary coach (I think it was ex-player Jimmy Spencer) took over the job for the rest of the season. This was also the first season that David's father, the O-Line guru Alex Gibbs, was no longer affiliated with the Broncos.

milkman
02-09-2006, 09:35 PM
From what I remember: Coyer was establishing his defensive scheme and Gibbs didn't go along with it. Gibbs made adjustments to coverages during games that went against what Coyer wanted to do. This went on for about half a year and it caused a problem. DB's were asking Gibbs questions because he wasn't telling them to do what Coyer wanted them to and they knew it. Gibbs and Coyer had at least one meeting, then Shanny had a meeting with one or both of them. The bye week came and Gibbs was fired. The asst. secondary coach (I think it was ex-player Jimmy Spencer) took over the job for the rest of the season. This was also the first season that David's father, the illegal chop block guru Alex Gibbs, was no longer affiliated with the Broncos.

There.
I fixed your post.

listopencil
02-09-2006, 09:40 PM
There.
I fixed you post.

Atlanta is the sixth NFL stop for Gibbs, who tutored offensive lines in Denver (twice, 1984-87 & 1995-2003) Los Angeles Raiders (1988-89), San Diego (1990-91), Indianapolis (1992) and Kansas City (1993-94).

So where are your Lombardis?

milkman
02-09-2006, 09:42 PM
Atlanta is the sixth NFL stop for Gibbs, who tutored offensive lines in Denver (twice, 1984-87 & 1995-2003) Los Angeles Raiders (1988-89), San Diego (1990-91), Indianapolis (1992) and Kansas City (1993-94).

So where are your Lombardis?

Cambria, Cal.