PDA

View Full Version : Jets | Raye hired

Bill Lundberg
02-09-2006, 12:31 PM
Jets | Raye hired
Thu, 9 Feb 2006 08:43:52 -0800

Randy Lange, of the Bergen Record, reports the New York Jets have hired former Oakland Raiders offensive coordinator Jimmy Raye according to NFL sources. Raye, 59, has worked for 10 different NFL teams and has served as an offensive coordinator with five of them. It is unclear what position he will serve with the Jets but he has coached all offensive positions during his career.

ROFL

Bootlegged
02-09-2006, 12:32 PM
Oh my. Would suck to be a JETS fan these last 20 years.

chiefqueen
02-09-2006, 12:39 PM
Raye to the new Jets OC:

"Brian, I am your father"

StcChief
02-09-2006, 12:43 PM
Jets getting desperate.
Probably looking at experience factor, likely a cheap coach too.

Piper
02-09-2006, 12:45 PM
I can't believe we hired this guy AGAIN!! :banghead:

Now I have to change my Sig

jspchief
02-09-2006, 12:46 PM
Wow, from Hackett to Raye in just a few short seasons. Are they trying to get contracted?

Cochise
02-09-2006, 12:47 PM
bwahahahahaha

Coogs
02-09-2006, 12:47 PM
You know, things have not always turned out to be SUPER here for the last 36 years either. And, we did take Gun back to get us a middle of the road defense that could get us to the SUPER BOWL before our offense all retires. And we are still waiting after two years of that experiment.

Mr. Laz
02-09-2006, 12:49 PM
omfg :eek:

ROFL

Rain Man
02-09-2006, 12:49 PM
Does anyone on the Jets management team wonder why he's been on ten teams?

Piper
02-09-2006, 12:50 PM
Does anyone on the Jets management team wonder why he's been on ten teams?
Because he's in such high demand??

jspchief
02-09-2006, 12:51 PM
Anyone still think we got out-smarted by the Jets in the Herm deal?

chefsos
02-09-2006, 12:52 PM
I'm guessing Jimmy's there to retrieve stuff off of the top shelves and open the Child Proof cabinets for the coaching staff.

Tuckdaddy
02-09-2006, 12:53 PM
How the hell does he keep getting jobs?

Scaga
02-09-2006, 01:06 PM
How the hell does he keep getting jobs?

Easy....

One of three ways:

1) :bong:
2) :toast:
or
3) :hump:

Mike in SW-MO
02-09-2006, 01:21 PM
The obvious Raye jokes aside, it doesn't say he is the offensive coordinator. I think he was actually a pretty good position coach.

Wasn't he the running backs coach for the Chiefs before the ill-fated decision to make him the offensive coordinator?

On the other hand, I've got to wonder how any coach associated with the Chiefs offense from the 1980's ever got a head coaching job or new job as OC. :shake:

Wile_E_Coyote
02-09-2006, 01:37 PM
so much for Bradway being the problem. Speaking of which, they extended his contract 1 year with the demotion

Count Alex's Losses
02-09-2006, 01:39 PM
I am tempted to award Herm some points.

tk13
02-09-2006, 01:51 PM
Haha... great stuff. Everybody here freaked out while all the Jets fans rejoiced because they thought "Martyball" was coming here and leaving NY, and now they look more "Martyball" than we do... I don't think Raye is as bad as Hackett, but it's good smack material. I imagine the Jets boards are melting down at the moment.

Dave Lane
02-09-2006, 02:42 PM
Wow, from Hackett to Raye in just a few short seasons. Are they trying to get contracted?

I mean this is insane what NFL franchise would ever hire Paul "Can't" Hackett and then hire some schmoe like Jimmie Raye to be OC I mean NO one would ever even think oh ... oh yeah... well I mean any more or something like that...

Dave

Coogs
02-09-2006, 03:00 PM
Haha... great stuff. Everybody here freaked out while all the Jets fans rejoiced because they thought "Martyball" was coming here and leaving NY, and now they look more "Martyball" than we do... I don't think Raye is as bad as Hackett, but it's good smack material. I imagine the Jets boards are melting down at the moment.

Not really.

http://forums.theganggreen.com/showthread.php?t=31231

jynni
02-09-2006, 03:03 PM
Not really.

It appears they just don't know any better.

Coogs
02-09-2006, 03:05 PM
It appears they just don't know any better.

That is possible. Seems as if some are content with the hire.

DJJasonp
02-09-2006, 03:34 PM
Not only on opening day did we start the Jets on a downward spiral that would make Robert Downey Jr. proud.....then Carl steals their coach...gets the GM fired....now Jimmy Raye???

Watch out Jets fans....the anal raping cant be far behind!

Spicy McHaggis
02-09-2006, 03:38 PM
Not really.

Denial is a scary thing.

milkman
02-09-2006, 07:57 PM
I'm riding down the road in my truck at work today, heard this news on ESPN radio, and just busted out laughing.

The guy I'm working with thought I was ****in' nuts.

Extra Point
02-09-2006, 08:00 PM
Wow, from Hackett to Raye in just a few short seasons. What have they contracted?

Amended. No offense.

Coach
02-09-2006, 09:04 PM
Ok, since I was a young pup during the 90's and the Hackett/Raye era, which one of those two OC's are better?

Just looking for honest answers.

milkman
02-09-2006, 09:09 PM
Ok, since I was a young pup during the 90's and the Hackett/Raye era, which one of those two OC's are better?

Just looking for honest answers.

Oh Hell.

Which one sucked the least? :hmmm:

Hackett. :shrug:

Buzzsaw
02-09-2006, 10:06 PM
I mean this is insane what NFL franchise would ever hire Paul "Can't" Hackett and then hire some schmoe like Jimmie Raye to be OC I mean NO one would ever even think oh ... oh yeah... well I mean any more or something like that...

Dave

Brian Schotty is the OC. Raye's there to get him coffee and gatorade and hold his clipboard.

And with Herm as your head coach, I wouldn't throw stones considering that glass trailer -- err -- house you're living in.

tk13
02-09-2006, 10:09 PM
Brian Schotty is the OC. Raye's there to get him coffee and gatorade and hold his clipboard.

And with Herm as your head coach, I wouldn't throw stones considering that glass trailer -- err -- house you're living in.
I'd put our coaching staff up against yours. Herm's assembled a pretty nice staff.

Logical
02-09-2006, 10:18 PM

Good luck with Brian, your team will need it.

Mecca
02-09-2006, 10:36 PM
The Jets are making these hires because no one wants to work for Mangini. They hired a 34 year old head coach and none of the good assistants in the NFL have any desire to work for him. They think it could possibly ruin thier careers.

Halfcan
02-09-2006, 10:48 PM
Wow back to back Jets are Freakin stupid post, but different threads.

huskerdooz
02-09-2006, 11:29 PM
Just an observation.

If I recall, Jimmy Raye was actually considered a very good RB coach with the chiefs before he was promoted to OC.

I also don't think that Brian Schottenheimer will be a Martyball clone. Afterall he rode the pine at Florida, and if I recall the reason he went to Florida where he had almost zero chance to play instead of to a smaller Div I school was so that he'd have a chance to learn under Spurrier. He has also had a chance to work under Cam Cameron in SD the past 4 yrs, and Cameron is anything but a Martyball clone.

JMO

milkman
02-09-2006, 11:35 PM
Just an observation.

If I recall, Jimmy Raye was actually considered a very good RB coach with the chiefs before he was promoted to OC.

I also don't think that Brian Schottenheimer will be a Martyball clone. Afterall he rode the pine at Florida, and if I recall the reason he went to Florida where he had almost zero chance to play instead of to a smaller Div I school was so that he'd have a chance to learn under Spurrier. He has also had a chance to work under Cam Cameron in SD the past 4 yrs, and Cameron is anything but a Martyball clone.

JMO

Why was Raye considered a very good RB coach?
Who the hell did he develop?

tk13
02-09-2006, 11:40 PM
Just an observation.

JMO
Raye actually has a pretty good history with RB's. If I'm not mistaken, he was the OC when Eric Dickerson set the rushing yards record. It's just that when he got promoted to OC he pounded the ol' running back by committee led by Donnell Bennett. Of course maybe it all would've been different if Kimble Anders stayed healthy.

milkman
02-09-2006, 11:48 PM
Raye actually has a pretty good history with RB's. If I'm not mistaken, he was the OC when Eric Dickerson set the rushing yards record. It's just that when he got promoted to OC he pounded the ol' running back by committee led by Donnell Bennett. Of course maybe it all would've been different if Kimble Anders stayed healthy.

I'm not certain, but I think that Raye was the "passing game coordinator" when Dickerson broke the record.

milkman
02-09-2006, 11:52 PM
I'm not certain, but I think that Raye was the "passing game coordinator" when Dickerson broke the record.

I was wrong.
I just looked it up and Raye was the OC in Dickerson's record year.

Dave Lane
02-10-2006, 06:46 AM

Please turn on your sarcasm meter and notice which NFL yeam is being discussed. Please try to keep up with the rest of us.

Dave