PDA

View Full Version : How do YOU feel about getting old?

ZepSinger
02-10-2006, 08:20 AM
I'm currently shooting and producing a fundraising video for a local retirement village.. most people there are in their 80's and 90's. I've interviewed several residents and watched them in the halls, doing activities, etc.

And I've come to the conclusion that if I can't be a healthy, vibrant, self-sufficient, home-owning man of sound mind when I reach that age, I do NOT wanna be on this earth. If otherwise, then I sincerely hope the good Lord above takes me home before I hit that season of my life.

What's your opinion? Do you even think about being really old at all? I know when I was in my 20's and 30's it never crossed my mind... but it does now...

Discuss.

Z

Chiefs Express
02-10-2006, 08:21 AM
Regardless of the condition being old is better than being dead.

FAX
02-10-2006, 08:24 AM
I mind it a lot.

When I was younger, it was a good day when the earth moved. Now, it's a good day when my bowels move.

FAX

Bob Dole
02-10-2006, 08:24 AM
Bob Dole fully intends to wear out all his parts before he gets anywhere near 70.

Count Alex's Losses
02-10-2006, 08:27 AM
I can't wait to be old.

Skip Towne
02-10-2006, 08:28 AM
Why hasn't my name been mentioned yet?

ZepSinger
02-10-2006, 08:29 AM

I thought about you when typing this... :)

ChiefsFan4Life
02-10-2006, 08:29 AM
If I'm incapable of taking care of myself when I get old than I'd rather have been "taken" by then

PastorMikH
02-10-2006, 08:31 AM
I'm not too fond of the getting older, but what choice does one have? I am getting to the point where the eyesight is starting to dim a bit. I've always had perfect vision, but I'm starting to hold stuff further and further away like I use to make fun of others for doing. Also, I've got lots more aches than I used to, and when I do work out, I don't hurt nearly as much the next day as I do 2-3 days later. I even get to take a pill every day now for my blood pressure. Yep, I'm getting old.

However, as long as I feel I can fend for myself and be somewhat productive (or at least have fun), I'm in no hurry to hang it up.

Chiefs Express
02-10-2006, 08:31 AM

That's an easy question to answer. Because nobody cares.

Mr. Kotter
02-10-2006, 08:32 AM

It's too late for you to think about; you live it.

Brock
02-10-2006, 08:35 AM

Says you.

jspchief
02-10-2006, 08:40 AM
I think I'd rather check out a bit early than have to go through the whole assisted living thing. Thos places are so freaking depressing, I can't imagine many people enjoy that stage of life.

Rain Man
02-10-2006, 08:45 AM
I'm banking on science to cure aging sometime soon. My time is running out.

Skip Towne
02-10-2006, 08:46 AM
The worst part is that you get slow. Hell, it takes me an hour and a half to watch 60 minutes.

Count Alex's Losses
02-10-2006, 08:46 AM
I think I'd rather check out a bit early than have to go through the whole assisted living thing. Thos places are so freaking depressing, I can't imagine many people enjoy that stage of life.

The idea is to keep your brain sharp. I plan to be sharp as a tack when I'm 82.

morphius
02-10-2006, 08:49 AM
Well, they haven't been able to help with your hair loss in your lifetime, what gives you hope that they could fix the aging process?

Seeing one of my Grandfathers makes me dread getting older. Though luckily I never smoked like him so hopefully I will be in better shape then that.

Dartgod
02-10-2006, 08:51 AM
Sitting in a wheelchair in a nursing home, shitting your pants everyday, all the while not knowing what you are doing there, let alone who you are is better than being dead?

I'll take death, thank you...

Rain Man
02-10-2006, 08:56 AM
Well, they haven't been able to help with your hair loss in your lifetime, what gives you hope that they could fix the aging process?

Seeing one of my Grandfathers makes me dread getting older. Though luckily I never smoked like him so hopefully I will be in better shape then that.

That's not hair loss. I intentionally shave the top of my head so that I can look old enough to buy beer.

jspchief
02-10-2006, 08:56 AM
The worst part is that you get slow. Hell, it takes me an hour and a half to watch 60 minutes.Apparently your jokes get less funny too.

jspchief
02-10-2006, 08:58 AM
The idea is to keep your brain sharp. I plan to be sharp as a tack when I'm 82.I'm sure no one "planned" to be in adult diapers, but a lot of them are.

oldandslow
02-10-2006, 09:04 AM
So far getting older has been good. My jumpshot is not what it once was, and I now run a 10 minute mile, but so what.

I certainly do not make the mistakes that I made at 25.

If I ever get diagnosed with Alzheimers or Lung Cancer, I will make sure that I will NOT be burden to my family.

Chiefs Express
02-10-2006, 09:24 AM
Quote: <HR SIZE=1>Originally Posted by Chiefs Express
Regardless of the condition being old is better than being dead. <HR SIZE=1>

Says you.

I think I just said that!

Chiefs Express
02-10-2006, 09:26 AM
That will be some feat considering that you are currently sharp as a basketball!

Fat Elvis
02-10-2006, 09:26 AM

Hanging out here will make you retarded by the time you turn 45.

burt
02-10-2006, 09:29 AM
Sitting in a wheelchair in a nursing home, shitting your pants everyday, all the while not knowing what you are doing there, let alone who you are is better than being dead?

I'll take death, thank you...

depends......

Dartgod
02-10-2006, 09:31 AM
depends......
Now that's funny right there. I don't care who you are...

redhed
02-10-2006, 10:00 AM
If my quality of life dips below a certain point yet to be determined, I'll just go to towelheadland and tell 'em I drew all those cartoons.

Chief Faithful
02-10-2006, 10:30 AM
I'm sure no one "planned" to be in adult diapers, but a lot of them are.

In parts of China adult diapers are a big hit. It allows people to ride the over crowded trains without worry that the toilet is un-available.

jspchief
02-10-2006, 10:34 AM
In parts of China adult diapers are a big hit. It allows people to ride the over crowded trains without worry that the toilet is un-available.There are a lot of things wrong with China. But those crab rangoons are so damn good.

ChiefsOne
02-10-2006, 10:39 AM
I don't think that I'll ever feel that I would be better off dead, no matter how old I get.

Death is a scary thing.

Rain Man
02-10-2006, 10:41 AM
In parts of China adult diapers are a big hit. It allows people to ride the over crowded trains without worry that the toilet is un-available.

Actually, this isn't a bad idea for people with long driving commutes, too.

Wile_E_Coyote
02-10-2006, 10:43 AM
fake pain, take painkillers, watch the Animal Planet all day...wait you don't have to be old to do that

ROYC75
02-10-2006, 11:06 AM
It stinks so far............ :(

I'm not old, really not. 48 isn't old, but damn this 65 year old body I'm living in is .

Need an overhaul.

Phobia
02-10-2006, 11:14 AM
I'm looking forward to assisted living. I plan to enter one of those facilities a little early so I can line up my harem of toothless broads. Can you imagine how much strange the guys who are merely confined to walkers get?

picasso
02-10-2006, 11:22 AM

In the next ten years is the projection, bring on the nanotechnology.
Indulge in everything that can kill then shoot up with a nanoshot and the next day your not only 21 years old again, you're better.

SLAG
02-10-2006, 11:25 AM
Being 21 married with 2 kids I feel like im 45 somedays now thats old

It sucks.

Go figure

greg63
02-10-2006, 11:28 AM
I'm currently shooting and producing a fundraising video for a local retirement village.. most people there are in their 80's and 90's. I've interviewed several residents and watched them in the halls, doing activities, etc.

And I've come to the conclusion that if I can't be a healthy, vibrant, self-sufficient, home-owning man of sound mind when I reach that age, I do NOT wanna be on this earth. If otherwise, then I sincerely hope the good Lord above takes me home before I hit that season of my life.

What's your opinion? Do you even think about being really old at all? I know when I was in my 20's and 30's it never crossed my mind... but it does now...

Discuss.

Z

It is of course the natural order of things barring any unfortunate circumstance which would end one's life at an early age. While I agree with your point of view about being vibrant at that season in life Iím, at this time, not a fan of euthanasia, assisted suicide or anything like that. I am also not at all a fan of being dumped in a substandard nursing facility only to be mistreated and forgotten by my family. So I guess the only other alternative would be as you stated to have the Good Lord take me home first.

greg63
02-10-2006, 11:31 AM
I don't think that I'll ever feel that I would be better off dead, no matter how old I get.

Death is a scary thing.

Depends on ones point of view, it's also an appointment everyone has to one day come to terms with. There's no escaping it.

mike_b_284
02-10-2006, 12:59 PM
All of my really old family members (Great Grandparent's Generation) have had full mental capacity. While this sounds nice, they have to sit around by themselves waiting to die. I think I would prefer to be out of my mind in my own world and not have to think about it.

Scaga
02-10-2006, 01:08 PM
http://www.shire.net/mormon/humor/old.html

Simplex3
02-10-2006, 01:29 PM
I disagree completely. My Grandmother has advance alzheimer's, after watching her I can safely say I'd rather not get that far.

Adept Havelock
02-10-2006, 01:59 PM
It beats the alternative...the vast majority of the time.

Chiefs Express
02-10-2006, 02:05 PM
I disagree completely. My Grandmother has advance alzheimer's, after watching her I can safely say I'd rather not get that far.

My dad was 91 when he died. He did not recognize any of the kids for the last three years of his life. He seemed content and always had a smile on his face. He did not die in a health care facility. At that point you don't know that you are ill or anything. I'd wait until you get to the same place before calling the shot.

Ultra Peanut
02-10-2006, 02:20 PM
And now you're older still.

redhed
02-10-2006, 02:20 PM
Death is part of life.

PastorMikH
02-10-2006, 02:27 PM
Being 21 married with 2 kids I feel like im 45 somedays now thats old

It sucks.

Go figure

No you don't, you just think you do. I'm 37, 45 is still a ways off, and though I thouht 10-15 years ago that there were days I felt this old, I was mistaken. :)

I am to the point now though that I am starting to understand Garth's song "Much to Young to Feel This Old".

Dave Lane
02-10-2006, 02:35 PM
I can't wait to be old.

Don't be in a hurry little man.

Dave

~a voice from the other side.