PDA

View Full Version : lol Mike & Mike are trashing the Raiders

jidar
02-10-2006, 07:32 AM
Talking about how nobody wants to work for Al Davis.

They do have a mystery candidate though with "considerable NFL experience.", which could be anyone.

Hoover
02-10-2006, 07:37 AM
I heard last night on the News its Art Shell

Anyong Bluth
02-10-2006, 08:10 AM
I heard last night on the News its Art Shell

retread

Mile High Mania
02-10-2006, 08:34 AM
I heard the Art Shell speculation a few weeks ago as well.

Wile_E_Coyote
02-10-2006, 08:35 AM
http://www.insidebayarea.com/raiders/ci_3494634

Set to be Shell of former selves?
Raiders may revert to ex-coach, star
By Bill Soliday, STAFF WRITER
Thirty-seven days without a coach. And counting. The waters grew ever murkier Thursday for the Oakland Raiders.

Their options dwindling by the minute, things went from sticky to embarrassing when the man many believed would be their new leader withdrew his name from consideration.

Pittsburgh Steelers offensive coordinator Ken Whisenhunt told the Raiders no thanks at midday Thursday after having spent five hours Wednesday with Oakland boss Al Davis at the team's Alameda facility.

It wasn't the only hit Davis' proud franchise took. In Kentucky, Louisville Cardinals coach Bobby Petrino released a statement claiming he had rejected an offer the Raiders purportedly made to him Wednesday, the same day Whisenhunt was in Oakland interviewing.

ESPN reported the Raiders offered the job toPetrino on three separate occasions.

Whisenhunt and his wife, Alice, returned to Pittsburgh on Wednesday night. Although Whisenhunt said the interview with Davis had gone well, sources close to the situation said his reason for opting out mostly had to do with control issues.

"I liked Al," Whisenhunt told the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. "I had a good visit, it was a productive meeting. I am flattered to be considered. I just felt like I needed to come back here."

According to the Raiders, the 43-year-old former NFL tight end left town without a formal offer.

According to various reports, even while Whisenhunt was still in California, the Raiders were covering their bases by making an offer to Petrino, who visited the Bay Area for an interview last month.

While the Raiders denied an offer was made to Petrino, Louisville sports information director Rocco Gasparro was releasing a statement that said Petrino "received an offer late last night and has decided to remain at Louisville."

According to one unconfirmed report, Oakland offered Petrino a five-year, $18 million deal. Petrino's reluctance reportedly had to do with his 16-year-old son not wanting to leave Kentucky.

With Whisenhunt and Petrino and Al Saunders and Rod Marinelli before them out of the picture, the clear front-runner now appears to be former Raiders player and coach Art Shell.

Shell was in Florida for meetings connected with his current status as NFL senior vice president of football operations and development and was unavailable for comment Thursday night.

Whether the Raiders were spurned or were merely fishing when interviewing Whisenhunt, Petrino, Saunders and Marinelli, one thing is clear Shell wants another run at the job he held from 1989 to 1994 when the Raiders played in Los Angeles.

His representative, Danny More, made that point clear.

"I really feel he is the right guy at the right time for this job," he said. "This would be the greatest thing ever if Art came back to Oakland. He deserves a second chance. Everyone else in the free world has had one but Art.

"He is a guy who won 56 and lost 41. He clearly would be the class of this hiring class, if it eventuates. If it does, it would be outstanding for everybody outstanding for Oakland, outstanding for Art, outstanding for the players."

Shell visited Raiders headquarters last week for an interview. More said he had not heard from the Raiders since then, adding specific terms of a potential deal had not been discussed.

According to the Raiders, the team is remaining in contact with all current candidates.

The Raiders also have made telephone contact with Baltimore Ravens assistant Jim Fassel. Fassel coached the New York Giants into a Super Bowl following the 2000 season with current Raiders quarterback Kerry Collins at the helm. Fassel was an assistant coach with the Raiders in 1995 under Mike White.

The Raiders have been without a coach since Jan. 3 and are the last of nine teams making a change. Since Shell was let go, the Raiders have had five, going on six, head coaches over an 11-year period. Previously they had had just two from 1969 to 1987.

Although neither received a firm offer from Davis, Whisenhunt is the second Raiders interviewee after Saunders, who signed on with Washington who chose to serve as an offensive coordinator rather than push for the head job in Oakland.

Are the Raiders an undesirable employer for a potential head coach? Send comments to Turn2@angnewspapers.com (Turn2@angnewspapers.com). Include first/last name and city.

foxman
02-10-2006, 08:59 AM
What differance does it make? Whoever it is will be gone soon and wont have a lot of say so on a lot matters. The only reason why Al doesnt do it officially is because he doesnt want to stand for the whole game and he wants someone to fire when he doesnt get the results he expected.

Cochise
02-10-2006, 09:20 AM
lolz. omgz lolz