PDA

View Full Version : Hypothetical: Standard salaries for football.

Rain Man
02-10-2006, 09:23 AM
Would the game be better if the entire salary system was scrapped and replaced with a simple seniority scale?

No negotiating, no differentiation. Just a pay scale that reads the same for every player:

1st year: $xxx,xxx
2nd year: $xxx,xxx
3rd year: $x,xxx,xxx
15th year: $x,xxx,xxx

There would certainly be some players that would be against it, but if money ceased to become an issue, would the players once again concentrate on the game and being the best player, as opposed to "playing for the money"? Or is this just communist football?

It seems to me like motivation wouldn't be affected negatively. Would Peyton Manning say "I'm just going to settle for being average", just because he can't get a bigger contract by being great? I don't think so. And the money would still be big enough that there would be great motivation to remain in the league, as opposed to working at Long John Silver's.

beavis
02-10-2006, 09:24 AM
I don't really like the idea of Kendall Gammon making $5 million a year.

Rain Man
02-10-2006, 09:26 AM
Well, Kendall's not a big fan of you, either.

jspchief
02-10-2006, 09:29 AM
I don't care for it. Tenure doesn't automatically equate value. Look no further than unions, where idiots get paid the same amount as the top employee, simply based on being hired at the same time.

Wile_E_Coyote
02-10-2006, 09:30 AM
players may be less apt to sacrifice their bodies, or play a postion that tends to be less harmful

Rain Man
02-10-2006, 09:34 AM
My theory (unproven) is that at astronomical salary levels, and with no job guarantees, and with extreme competition for jobs, the union analogy wouldn't hold. I don't think people would get complacent or would "take the easy way out" if they had the option of making $5 million or being out of the league.

I think the only thing you'd have to do is experiment a little bit to determine the proper wage progression, especially as players get older. Salaries might not continue rising each year, but would plateau or even go down at some point. It might take some tweaking to get that progression right.