PDA

View Full Version : Doyel: Norm Stewart Wants Mizzou to Hire Altman

nychief
02-10-2006, 08:41 PM
Gregg Doyel Feb. 10, 2006
By Gregg Doyel
CBS SportsLine.com Senior Writer
Tell Gregg your opinion!

Left out of the 1999 search that resulted in hiring Quin Snyder as his replacement, Missouri coaching legend Norm Stewart will have a lot more say this time around.
Advertisement

And Stewart likes Creighton's Dana Altman.

With Snyder mercifully out of the picture -- he has resigned, effective immediately -- a source close to the situation told CBS SportsLine.com on Friday that Stewart, who won 634 games there from 1967-99, will recommend Altman to the Missouri administration.

The question that arose later Friday, though, was one of finances: Will a Missouri program that has been paying multiple coaches in multiple sports be able to afford Altman?

Although his salary isn't known, Altman is believed to be making considerably more than what Missouri would like to pay its next coach -- in the $500,000 range. Unless boosters or other sources come up with the money, Missouri's financial constraints could push the school in the direction of a younger Missouri Valley coach, perhaps Greg McDermott of Northern Iowa or Chris Lowery of Southern Illinois.

Another name to keep in mind is Nevada's Mark Fox, a former Kansas State assistant.

If Stewart had his choice, though, it would be Altman. They've known each other since the early 1980s, when Altman was at Moberly (Mo.) Junior College. Their connection grew when Altman coached at Kansas State from 1990-94. Altman has spent the last 12 years in the Missouri Valley Conference, going 235-125. Stewart knows the validity of an MVC pedigree; he came to Missouri in 1967 after a brief run at Northern Iowa.

And this time, Stewart is back in a position of influence at Missouri. When Snyder was hired, Stewart had just been nudged aside. The timing wasn't right for Stewart to have much say in that decision, and consequently, Stewart and Snyder had a mostly frigid relationship.

Seven years later, Stewart is expected to play a role in this search, a source said. Of course, Missouri athletics director Mike Alden could still screw it up. He's the one who lacked the sense, and possibly the power, to fire Snyder after last season, when it was clear that Snyder and Missouri would eventually part ways after years of scandal and underachievement.

Altman wouldn't be the sexiest hire for Missouri -- some Big 12 fans erroneously recall him as failure at Kansas State, where he went 68-54 -- but he would be an excellent fit. He's a Midwest guy, obviously loyal (12 years at Creighton) and highly regarded in coaching circles for his X-and-O acumen and integrity. Despite losing star Nate Funk to a shoulder injury, the Bluejays are 17-5 this season, pushing Altman's overall record in Division I to 318-192.

Talk Back!
Time Subject Author
8:29 pm Re: Sad Day... lambeer94
8:28 pm Re: Glad to see him go lambeer94
8:27 pm Re: Sad Day... orangekrushu
8:25 pm Re: Sad Day... lambeer94
8:20 pm Sad Day... orangekrushu
7:29 pm Glad to see him go dnice7600
7:19 pm Snyder down the road mubball2
7:14 pm Whatever amutiger
Post New Message · Post New Poll · Full Message List

Related Links
Missouri head coach Snyder resigns

Headlines
And now back to your regularly scheduled program ...

Mess with Coach K, now the readers have their say

School angered by 'Glory Road' depiction

Pitt tops WVU, holds Pittsnogle scoreless

No. 19 Buckeyes claim win vs. Wolverines

Bruins' D holds Cougars to mere 30 points

More Headlines

ADS BY GOOGLE
Dunk-Now® Jump Program
Jumping 8-14 Inches Higher, $24.95 Double Your Vertical Jump In A year
www.dunknow.com
Xbox 360 Giveaway
Answer our 5 question survey and get a free Xbox 360! Limited Supply
www.gadgetcity.com
NCAA Office Pool Software
For running NCAA tournament pools. Many features, stats, web builder.
www.leapydog.com

beavis
02-10-2006, 08:45 PM
I'm torn on Altman. He sucked at K-State, but the job he's done at Creighton makes me want to believe he could do the job.

Of course, Norm's recommendation probably puts him out of consideration immediately.

nychief
02-10-2006, 08:47 PM
sounds like norm is in the drivers seat with this hire... but I am confused by the salary limits. Considering the basketball team has the richest tradition (that is sad), they would pay top dollar.

DomerNKC
02-10-2006, 09:08 PM
unfortunately, the powers that be at MU didn't want norms opinion then and im sure they don't want it now. those ties are severed. if they took noms opinion now, and the coach he picks succeeds, norm was right and they were wrong. they wont let that happen.

nychief
02-10-2006, 09:11 PM
The story indicates the Norm will be heard.

alanm
02-10-2006, 09:20 PM
Altman isn't going anywhere. He'd be too expensive to buy out. Besides his wife is a Omahan and she won't want to go either.
Stay the **** away from Altman :cuss: :cuss: :cuss:
Besides he's got a sweet gig at Creighton why would he want to go to Mizzou and f*ck that up? :shake:

nychief
02-10-2006, 09:25 PM
Altman isn't going anywhere. He'd be too expensive to buy out. Besides his wife is a Omahan and she won't want to go either.
Stay the **** away from Altman :cuss: :cuss: :cuss:
Besides he's got a sweet gig at Creighton why would he want to go to Mizzou and f*ck that up? :shake:

chill man. If everything you say is true - why worry?

alanm
02-10-2006, 09:35 PM
chill man. If everything you say is true - why worry?
Cause if they throw enough money at him anything can happen. :)

DomerNKC
02-10-2006, 09:56 PM
The story indicates the Norm will be heard.you believe everything you read? i am the smartest man on the planet, and the best looking.

nychief
02-10-2006, 09:58 PM
Cause if they throw enough money at him anything can happen. :)

more money, bigger conference, better job.

nychief
02-10-2006, 10:03 PM
you believe everything you read? i am the smartest man on the planet, and the best looking.

I don't not believe an article that states something from a source.

alanm
02-10-2006, 10:20 PM
more money, bigger conference, better job.
Frankly I don't think it would be a better job. Besides I believe he's getting $750,000 a yr at Creighton. And he signed a new contract last spring.

nychief
02-10-2006, 10:23 PM
Frankly I don't think it would be a better job. Besides I believe he's getting $750,000 a yr at Creighton. And he signed a new contract last spring.

we'll see what happens. I am a mizzou fan and I hope he stays with the jays.

alanm
02-10-2006, 10:27 PM
we'll see what happens. I am a mizzou fan and I hope he stays with the jays.
Good, then that's 2 votes no. :thumb:
I just hope he doesn't let ego get in the way if offered the job though. :(

PastorMikH
02-10-2006, 10:30 PM
Too bad Norm's too old to come back.

PastorMikH
02-10-2006, 10:33 PM
And I don't see how $ would be a problem. If an Alumni can come up with $250 for Clemons, surely a top coach would get some serious financial support from the Alumni.

:)

nychief
02-10-2006, 10:46 PM
Good, then that's 2 votes no. :thumb:
I just hope he doesn't let ego get in the way if offered the job though. :(

if I were you that is what I would be worried about. Dana might want to prove all the people who says he is only a mid-major coach wrong.

alanm
02-10-2006, 10:55 PM
if I were you that is what I would be worried about. Dana might want to prove all the people who says he is only a mid-major coach wrong.
But here's the wildcard in the whole situation. Barry Collier is going to be fired after the season. Nebraska will offer him a boatload of $$$ and buy out his contract at Creighton. Being a Nebraska boy and all I'd think he'd consider Nebraska before Missouri.

nychief
02-10-2006, 11:04 PM
But here's the wildcard in the whole situation. Barry Collier is going to be fired after the season. Nebraska will offer him a boatload of $$$ and buy out his contract at Creighton. Being a Nebraska boy and all I'd think he'd consider Nebraska before Missouri.

I don't know. Basketball will always be second best at Nabraska. Football rules the day.

alanm
02-10-2006, 11:16 PM
I don't know. Basketball will always be second best at Nabraska. Football rules the day.
Hell Basketball is at best 4th or 5th at Nebraska behind football, womens vollyball, baseball, track and field and wrestling. Hell make that about 8th or 9th. Bowling has won the past few Nat'l championships for that matter. :)

Saulbadguy
02-11-2006, 10:25 AM
Hell Basketball is at best 4th or 5th at Nebraska behind football, womens vollyball, baseball, track and field and wrestling. Hell make that about 8th or 9th. Bowling has won the past few Nat'l championships for that matter. :)
I've never, ever met a Husker football fan who also liked Husker hoops.