PDA

View Full Version : Fulton, MO bans "Grease"; Crucible

banyon
02-11-2006, 01:48 PM
In Small Town, 'Grease' Ignites a Culture War

By DIANA JEAN SCHEMO
Published: February 11, 2006
FULTON, Mo. When Wendy DeVore, the drama teacher at Fulton High here, staged the musical "Grease," about high school students in the 1950's, she carefully changed the script to avoid causing offense in this small town.

She softened the language, substituting slang for profanity in places. Instead of smoking "weed," the teenagers duck out for a cigarette. She rated the production PG-13, advising parents it was not suitable for small children.

But a month after the performances in November, three letters arrived on the desk of Mark Enderle, Fulton's superintendent of schools. Although the letters did not say so, the three writers were members of a small group linked by e-mail, all members of the same congregation, Callaway Christian Church.

Each criticized the show, complaining that scenes of drinking, smoking and a couple kissing went too far, and glorified conduct that the community tries to discourage. One letter, from someone who had not seen the show but only heard about it, criticized "immoral behavior veiled behind the excuse of acting out a play."

Dr. Enderle watched a video of the play, ultimately agreeing that "Grease" was unsuitable for the high school, despite his having approved it beforehand, without looking at the script. Hoping to avoid similar complaints in the future, he decided to ban the scheduled spring play, "The Crucible" by Arthur Miller.

"That was me in my worst Joe McCarthy moment, to some," Dr. Enderle said.

He called "The Crucible" "a fine play," but said he dropped it to keep the school from being "mired in controversy" all spring.

To many, the term "culture war" evokes national battles over new frontiers in taste and decency, over violence in video games, or profanity in music or on television. But such battles are also fought in small corners of the country like Fulton, a conservative town of about 10,000, where it can take only a few objections about library books or high school plays to shift quietly the cultural borderlines of an entire community.

The complaints here, which were never debated in a public forum, have spread a sense of uncertainty about the shifting terrain as parents, teachers and students have struggled to understand what happened. Among teenagers who were once thrilled to have worked on the production, "Grease" became "the play they'd rather not talk about," said Teri Arms, their principal, who had also approved the play before it was presented.

"Grease" and "The Crucible" are hardly unfamiliar; they are standard fare on the high school drama circuit, the second-most-frequently-performed musical and drama on school stages, according to the Educational Theater Association, a nonprofit group. The most performed now are "Seussical" and "A Midsummer Night's Dream."

But challenges to longstanding literary or artistic works are not unusual, said Deborah Caldwell-Stone, deputy director of the American Library Association's office of intellectual freedom. Complaints generally are growing; in 2004, the last year for which figures are available, 547 books came under fire, an increase of nearly 20 percent over 2003, when 458 books were challenged.

"That a literary work is a classic does not protect it from being challenged, or even removed from a particular community," Ms. Caldwell-Stone said. Fulton, about 90 miles west of St. Louis, is best known as the home of Westminster College, where Winston Churchill gave his Iron Curtain speech in 1946. Presidents since Harry S. Truman have spoken in Fulton, lending the town a more cosmopolitan image.

Joseph Potter, an assistant professor of performing arts at William Woods University here, has staged dozens of shows for the community, including "Grease," and said he had never received a complaint. But politically and socially, Mr. Potter said, the town's core is conservative.

The three complaints about "Grease" reached Dr. Enderle within the same week.

Mark Miller, a 26-year-old graduate student, said he was moved to complain after getting an e-mail message about the show from Terra Guittar, a member of his church. Her description of the pajama party scene offended him, he wrote, adding that one character should have worn a more modest nightgown. Mr. Miller did not see the play.

"It makes sense that you're not going to offend anyone by being on the conservative side, especially when you're dealing with students, who don't have the same power as a principal or a theater director," he said.

A tape of the dress rehearsal showed that while most of the girls in the scene wore pajamas or a granny gown, Rizzo, the play's bad girl, wore just a pajama top. After the other girls fell asleep, Rizzo slipped her jeans on to sneak out for a date.

Ms. Guittar was so outraged by the drinking and kissing onstage that she walked out on the performance. She said she was not trying to inhibit artistic creativity. "It was strictly a moral issue," she said. "They're under 18. They're not in Hollywood."

But other parents were happy with the play. Mimi Curtis, whose son John played the lead, said the principal and drama teacher went out of their way to respect parents' wishes, changing the script in response to her own objections to profanity.

Ms. Curtis, who ran a concession stand during the play, saw all four performances.

"I didn't view it as raunchy," she said, adding that children who watch television are "hearing worse."

Dr. Enderle said he did not base his decision to cancel "The Crucible," which was first reported by The Fulton Sun, a daily, just on the three complaints and the video. He also asked 10 people he knew whether the play crossed a line. All but one, he recalled, said yes.

"To me, it's entirely a preventative maintenance issue," Dr. Enderle explained. "I can't do anything about what's already happened, but do I want to spend the spring saying, 'Yeah, we crossed the line again'?"

Nevertheless, the superintendent said he was "not 100 percent comfortable" with having canceled "The Crucible."

The absence of public debate meant that students heard of the cancellation as a fait accompli from their principal, Ms. Arms, and Ms. DeVore, the drama teacher. Others learned "The Crucible" was off limits through an internal school district newsletter. In it, Dr. Enderle said he dropped the play after seeing this summary on the Web: "17th century Salem woman accuses an ex-lover's wife of witchery in an adaptation of the Arthur Miller play."

Mr. Miller wrote "The Crucible" in the 1950's, in response to the witch hunt of his own day, when Congress held hearings to purge Hollywood of suspected Communists, pressuring witnesses to expose others to prove their innocence. The affair is not acted out in the play, which focuses on how hysteria and fear devoured Salem, despite the lack of evidence.

Dr. Enderle said Fulton High's students had largely accepted his decision and moved on. They are now rehearsing "A Midsummer Night's Dream" as their spring drama.

But in interviews here, students, who had already begun practicing for auditions of "The Crucible," expressed frustration and resignation, along with an overriding sense that there was no use fighting City Hall.

"It's over," said Emily Swenson, 15, after auditioning for "A Midsummer Night's Dream." "We can't do anything about it. We just have to obey."

Both the students and Ms. DeVore seemed unsure of why "The Crucible," which students study in 11th grade, was unacceptable.

Jarryd Lapp, a junior who was a light technician on "Grease," said he was disappointed that "The Crucible" was canceled. But he had a theory. "The show itself is graphic," he said. "People get hung; there's death in it. It's not appropriate."

Ms. DeVore believes it was canceled because it portrays the Salem witch trials, "a time in history that makes Christians look bad."

"In a Bible Belt community," she added, "it makes people nervous."

The teacher and her students are now ruling out future productions they once considered for their entertainment value alone, like "Little Shop of Horrors," a musical that features a cannibalistic plant, which they had discussed doing next fall.

Torii Davis, a junior, said that in her psychology class earlier that day, most students predicted that "Little Shop of Horrors" would never pass the test.

"Audrey works in a flower shop," Ms. Davis said. "She has a boyfriend who beats her. That could be controversial."

Ms. DeVore went down a list of the most commonly performed musicals and dramas on high school stages, and ticked off the potentially offensive aspects. " 'Bye Bye Birdie' has smoking and drinking. 'Oklahoma,' there's a scene where she's almost raped. 'Diary of Anne Frank,' would you take a 6-year-old?" the drama teacher asked.

"How am I supposed to know what's appropriate when I don't have any written guidelines, and it seems that what was appropriate yesterday isn't appropriate today?" Ms. DeVore asked. The teacher said she had been warned that because of the controversy, the school board might not renew her contract for next year.

For the moment, Dr. Enderle acknowledged, the controversy has shrunk the boundaries of what is acceptable for the community. He added that "A Midsummer Night's Dream" was "not a totally vanilla play."

But asked if the high school might put on another Shakespeare classic about young people in love, "Romeo and Juliet," he hesitated.

"Given the historical context of the play," the superintendent said, "it would be difficult to say that's something we would not perform."

banyon
02-11-2006, 01:48 PM
I think they should just ban "Grease" because it sucks

nychief
02-11-2006, 01:58 PM
stupid ****ing red necks.

Hydrae
02-11-2006, 01:58 PM
This:

But in interviews here, students, who had already begun practicing for auditions of "The Crucible," expressed frustration and resignation, along with an overriding sense that there was no use fighting City Hall.

"It's over," said Emily Swenson, 15, after auditioning for "A Midsummer Night's Dream." "We can't do anything about it. We just have to obey."

is the saddest part of this whole thing. Crushing these young people into thinking there is nothing they can do but to be obedient and follow along in lockstep. :shake:

4th and Long
02-11-2006, 01:59 PM
crib notes please.

SLAG
02-11-2006, 02:04 PM
Damn People need to get the sand out of thier vaginas

Phobia
02-11-2006, 02:05 PM
It sucks that the Dr. is so shortsighted that he's more interested in pleasing the old bitties in the community than giving the future of the community something in which they can be proud. I very much despise stupidity.

JBucc
02-11-2006, 02:06 PM
Plays and musicals suck

Phobia
02-11-2006, 02:08 PM
Mark Miller, a 26-year-old graduate student, said he was moved to complain after getting an e-mail message about the show from Terra Guittar, a member of his church. Her description of the pajama party scene offended him, he wrote, adding that one character should have worn a more modest nightgown. Mr. Miller did not see the play.

I didn't even see this the first time reading. Pathetic.

CoMoChief
02-11-2006, 02:09 PM
Musicals are for little weiners who can't play sports while they're in school.

mikey23545
02-11-2006, 02:10 PM
I don't mind the people who complained; everyone is entitled to their opinion. What I do mind is a superintendent of schools who caves so ****ing easily.

SLAG
02-11-2006, 02:11 PM
I don't mind the people who complained; everyone is entitled to their opinion. What I do mind is a superintendent of schools who caves so ****ing easily.

his was the sandy vagina i was talking about

Phobia
02-11-2006, 02:13 PM

I mind people complaining who have no idea WTF they're complaining about. If you weren't there, don't complain. It's a very simple concept.

Skip Towne
02-11-2006, 02:35 PM
It sucks that the Dr. is so shortsighted that he's more interested in pleasing the old bitties in the community than giving the future of the community something in which they can be proud. I very much despise stupidity.
It's not stupidity it's lack of balls. He's doing what is easiest for him.

Saulbadguy
02-11-2006, 04:07 PM
There is a musical that Topeka West High School is putting on called "Urinetown".

KCChiefsFan88
02-11-2006, 04:23 PM
Welcome to George Bush's America. A Christian Taliban Nation. And people (Bush included) wonder why America is starting to fall behind the rest of the world in education?

Valiant
02-11-2006, 04:35 PM
Welcome to George Bush's America. A Christian Taliban Nation. And people (Bush included) wonder why America is starting to fall behind the rest of the world in education?

Man you are an idiot...

Phobia
02-11-2006, 04:37 PM

George Bush would not want Owens to play for the Chiefs.

tk13
02-11-2006, 04:45 PM
This kinda stuff just hacks me off. We read and went and saw 'The Crucible' when I was a junior in high school. I can't imagine what's so bad about it that people would throw a fit. I mean it's legit history, stuff like that happened. Let's just throw art right out the window. That's 1984ish stuff.

Count Alex's Losses
02-11-2006, 04:47 PM
Man you are an idiot...

Doesn't that support his claim about American education?

stevieray
02-11-2006, 04:49 PM
This kinda stuff just hacks me off. We read and went and saw 'The Crucible' when I was a junior in high school. I can't imagine what's so bad about it that people would throw a fit. I mean it's legit history, stuff like that happened. Let's just throw art right out the window. That's 1984ish stuff.

tk is hacked off? take a picture and give me the date.

KCChiefsFan88
02-11-2006, 05:15 PM
Man you are an idiot...

Way to have an articulate response.

Obviously you have no problem with legit science education in this country being compromised so religious zealots can teach their baseless creationist garbage, obviously you have no problem with books being banned (check out the banned book list in the Blue Valley (KS) School District) because certain religious fanatics don't like anything that (gasp) challenges someone to use logic and reason.

the Talking Can
02-11-2006, 05:17 PM
Their women wear burkas too.

Ari Chi3fs
02-11-2006, 05:19 PM
Luckily Kevin Bacon just moved to the town, and they are gonna have a dance about 10 miles away...

John Lithgow is gonna be pissed.

stevieray
02-11-2006, 05:20 PM

Obviously you have no problem with legit science education in this country being compromised so religious zealots can teach their baseless creationist garbage, obviously you have no problem with books being banned (check out the banned book list in the Blue Valley (KS) School District) because certain religious fanatics don't like anything that (gasp) challenges someone to use logic and reason.

Our school system has been compromised since gangs brought violence into the schools.

If half of the kids didn't come from broken homes, schools wouldn't feel compelled to "raise" our kids, 'cause they damn sure don't think parents can.

And for the most part, they can't.

kcfanXIII
02-11-2006, 05:28 PM
since when is this a big deal? the same people prevented my school from doing grease when i was in school. and i went to blue springs, much larger than fulton. grease has always been considered too mature for high school kids to perform.

luv
02-11-2006, 05:30 PM
What? He would allow Romeo & Juliet, but not a toned-down Grease? He does realize that the teeneagers will act out killing themselves at the end. What on earth will the "community" think? :rolleyes:

1punkyQB
02-11-2006, 05:35 PM
Welcome to George Bush's America. A Christian Taliban Nation. They had the Logo network and Desperate Housewives under the Taliban? If you're going to use the words "logic and reason" don't compare America to a country that literally had a morals police, complete with whips, stones, and burkas. The hyperbole isn't necessary to make your point.

banyon
02-11-2006, 05:37 PM
There is a musical that Topeka West High School is putting on called "Urinetown".

Is that about St. Louis?

Mr. Laz
02-11-2006, 05:40 PM
Man you are an idiot...
and you're a piece of chit

more bible than brains .... woo woo ... jump ball

DomerNKC
02-11-2006, 05:41 PM
i guess that means that they are not doing "pulp fiction" anytime soon...

Mosbonian
02-11-2006, 05:41 PM

Do you spend much time running around screaming about the sky falling?

mmaddog

Phobia
02-11-2006, 05:50 PM
This thread is undeniable proof that people will blame anything on George Bush. Funniest shit ever. Hell, I'd pay admission to read KCChiefsfan88 blame more crazy stuff on George Bush. I got a speeding ticket a few months back - can we get somebody to blame that on Bush?

stevieray
02-11-2006, 05:58 PM
This thread is undeniable proof that people will blame anything on George Bush. Funniest shit ever. Hell, I'd pay admission to read KCChiefsfan88 blame more crazy stuff on George Bush. I got a speeding ticket a few months back - can we get somebody to blame that on Bush?

Maybe your x is one of his distant relatives.

Logical
02-11-2006, 06:10 PM
Each criticized the show, complaining that scenes of drinking, smoking and a couple kissing

OMG a couple kissing, we sure would not want no openly heterosexuality going on.:rolleyes:

Can RRWNJs get any more stupid than this, really?

Ultra Peanut
02-11-2006, 06:13 PM
EVERYONE HAS AIDS

Logical
02-11-2006, 06:13 PM

I blame people like you more than Bush or any RRWNJ, stupidity appears to be contagious and you are spreading it.

el borracho
02-11-2006, 07:00 PM
Callaway Christian Church
(573) 592-4977
2051 S Silver Dr
Fulton, MO 65251

callawaychristianchurch.com/

KCChiefsFan88
02-11-2006, 07:01 PM

Yeah Bush sure showed his commitment to science and education in this country with his endorsement of teaching creationism, errrr "intelligent design", restricting stem cell research, etc. All are examples of Bush and people of his ilk trying to curtail science and education in this country in the name of his narrow religious beliefs.

KCChiefsFan88
02-11-2006, 07:03 PM
Do you spend much time running around screaming about the sky falling?

mmaddog

Hmmmmm funny, TIME magazine's cover story this week was how America is falling behind in education and science and even Bush referenced it in his State of the Union Address.

I guess they must be over-reacting, too.

stevieray
02-11-2006, 07:07 PM
Hmmmmm funny, TIME magazine's cover story this week was how America is falling behind in education and science and even Bush referenced it in his State of the Union Address.

That's talking about how our kids are failing or lagging behind other countries, it has nothing to do with what you are referring to.

crossbow
02-11-2006, 07:41 PM

I am glad we got that settled. Now we know whom to blame for 50 years of declining educational standards in this country. It has to be the current president's fault. After all, he wasn't in office during all that time so he must be the cause of it. Yep, sure enough he went back in time and created the outcome based educational system.

And while we are finger pointing we should all be mad that Bush has the nerve to strike back at terrorists with military force. That is so uncool. When 5 thousand people are burned alive in the world trade center we should try to understand where these attackers are coming from. What is their motivation? How can we validate them and learn to understand what their concerns are so we can avoid a conflict like this in the future. When they make public statements like "All Americans must be killed" We should try to reach out to their feelings or at least sit back and let them kill us. That would be accomodating wouldn't it? We must let them kill us so we can show the rest of the world how nice we are.

KCChiefsFan88
02-11-2006, 07:50 PM
That's talking about how our kids are failing or lagging behind other countries, it has nothing to do with what you are referring to.

And a significant reason for that, as referenced in the TIME magazine feature was because of all the red tape that hinders science education currenly in the US. When science teachers can't do something as basic as teach evolution without a bunch of narrow minded religious fanatics going crazy, it shows that priorities in this country are out of wack.

KCChiefsFan88
02-11-2006, 07:53 PM
And while we are finger pointing we should all be mad that Bush has the nerve to strike back at terrorists with military force. That is so uncool. let them kill us so we can show the rest of the world how nice we are.

Yes because after all Iraq had a major role in the 9/11 attacks... oh wait :shake:

Mosbonian
02-11-2006, 08:03 PM

That article is more about the "dumbing down" of our systerm here in the US....it has nothing to do with what you are inferring. Don't let your agenda put you in a fog when trying to have an intelligent discussion about how our educational system is lagging when compared to the rest of the world.

mmaddog

Logical
02-11-2006, 08:03 PM
Yes because after all Iraq had a major role in the 9/11 attacks... oh wait :shake:You should just admit you screwed up blaming this on Bush. There are plenty of legitimate things to blame Bush for, don't make yourself look more foolish by continuing to make Bush the focus of the problem identified in this thread.

stevieray
02-11-2006, 08:04 PM
And a significant reason for that, as referenced in the TIME magazine feature was because of all the red tape that hinders science education currenly in the US. When science teachers can't do something as basic as teach evolution without a bunch of narrow minded religious fanatics going crazy, it shows that priorities in this country are out of wack.

significant? did you read the article?

Mosbonian
02-11-2006, 08:04 PM
Yes because after all Iraq had a major role in the 9/11 attacks... oh wait :shake:

Sorry...but that is a discussion that neither side can support with a firm foundation. Besides, if you want to have that discussion, you need to take it over to the DC Forum.

mmaddog

Mosbonian
02-11-2006, 08:07 PM
When science teachers can't do something as basic as teach evolution without a bunch of narrow minded religious fanatics going crazy, it shows that priorities in this country are out of wack.

Wow...tolerance.....

mmaddog

Pitt Gorilla
02-11-2006, 11:12 PM
Some people just like to be offended.

I can't figure out why a 26 year old guy is upset by a girl wearing too little. Is it possible that this guy is a conservative homo?

KCChiefsFan88
02-11-2006, 11:12 PM
You should just admit you screwed up blaming this on Bush. There are plenty of legitimate things to blame Bush for, don't make yourself look more foolish by continuing to make Bush the focus of the problem identified in this thread.

As long as Bush continues to voice his support for teaching creationism and against stem cell research, he will continue to put himself on the wrong side of religion and education/science, in terms of the role, religion should have in influencing what is taught in schools and other academic institutions across America.

Whether it is this situation in Fulton, Missouri or banning books in the Blue Valley (KS) school district or trying to curtail the teaching of evolution in public schools, certain religious people in this country are trying to use their narrow religious beliefs as a basis for influencing what is taught in our schools and that is a dangerous trend.

Sybil
02-11-2006, 11:31 PM
I know there are places like this in the US....I'm just glad I don't live there.

jspchief
02-11-2006, 11:33 PM
The principle is probably just trying to keep his community from becoming Bill Clinton's America, where adultery and perjury are prevalent.

Sybil
02-11-2006, 11:34 PM
The principle is probably just trying to keep his community from becoming Bill Clinton's America, where adultery and perjury are prevalent.

And you are convinced her effort will make a difference?

Jenny Gump
02-11-2006, 11:36 PM
If they ban grease, they are liable to help reduce the incidence of heart disease. I think this is a smart public health move personally.

jspchief
02-11-2006, 11:37 PM
And you are convinced her effort will make a difference?No. But I'm now convinced that your sense of humor is lacking.

Jenny Gump
02-11-2006, 11:40 PM
Danny Zuko NEVER perjured himself....NEVAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!

luv
02-11-2006, 11:41 PM
As long as Bush continues to voice his support for teaching creationism and against stem cell research, he will continue to put himself on the wrong side of religion and education/science, in terms of the role, religion should have in influencing what is taught in schools and other academic institutions across America.

Whether it is this situation in Fulton, Missouri or banning books in the Blue Valley (KS) school district or trying to curtail the teaching of evolution in public schools, certain religious people in this country are trying to use their narrow religious beliefs as a basis for influencing what is taught in our schools and that is a dangerous trend.
Comparing the banning of Grease to creationism and stem cell research is a stretch. I think you're hunting. I also believe there is a political forum if you wish to discuss Bush, and how he is ruining the country.

Mosbonian
02-11-2006, 11:49 PM
Some people just like to be offended.

I can't figure out why a 26 year old guy is upset by a girl wearing too little. Is it possible that this guy is a conservative homo?

Could it be possible that he just doesn't share your ideals? So I guess everyone who doesn't want to see a young gal scantily clad is a conservative homo?

mmaddog

tk13
02-11-2006, 11:51 PM
If they ban grease, they are liable to help reduce the incidence of heart disease. I think this is a smart public health move personally.
Oh wow.

Even I didn't go there.

Jenny Gump
02-11-2006, 11:53 PM
Oh wow.

Even I didn't go there.

I'm doing my best to hijack. Give me a break. I'm tired, my back hurts, I feel like kicking someone's ass. What do you expect from me?

Mosbonian
02-11-2006, 11:59 PM
I'm doing my best to hijack. Give me a break. I'm tired, my back hurts, I feel like kicking someone's ass. What do you expect from me?

I know you aren't meaning that toward me, but I feel honor bound to volunteer....

I've been taking a beating all week at work.....feel free to prolong it thru the weekend...

mmaddog

Pitt Gorilla
02-12-2006, 12:30 AM
Could it be possible that he just doesn't share your ideals? So I guess everyone who doesn't want to see a young gal scantily clad is a conservative homo?

mmaddog
*******Could it be possible that you have no sense of humor? It was a joke. Lighten up, Francis.

greg63
02-12-2006, 01:14 AM
Damn People need to get the sand out of thier vaginas

Ouch!

dtebbe
02-12-2006, 09:17 AM
All I know is that Fulton is where all the crazy people get sent... ROFL

DT

gblowfish
02-12-2006, 10:11 AM
If they want to kill off all the old church ladies, they ought to do "Deathtrap."

Bob Dole
02-12-2006, 10:14 AM
Bob Dole is offended about this thread discussing an article that discusses email messages from people who were offended by email messages they received describing a play that someone could have seen if they had been in the auditorium where it was performed.

This must cease! To whom do we send our complaints?

Mosbonian
02-12-2006, 12:20 PM
Could it be possible that you have no sense of humor? It was a joke. Lighten up, Francis.

I have an excellent sense of humor......thank you. Next time out, help yourself by either adding a smilie or [sarcasm] and you'll help your case.

mmaddog

Nightwish
02-12-2006, 03:27 PM
I bet "Footloose" would be a jailable offense in Fulton!