PDA

View Full Version : Anybody ever built a BBQ pit?

Fire Me Boy!
02-12-2006, 05:55 PM
I'm interested in doing this once my wife and I get a place up in KC... but I've never done it.

Anyone got any advice?

JBucc
02-12-2006, 05:58 PM
Isn't that like a hole, that you stick your meat in

Fire Me Boy!
02-12-2006, 06:07 PM
Ummmm... yeah. Just like that.

Dinny Bossa Nova
02-12-2006, 06:31 PM
Indirect cooking.

Boneside down.

Trust your Weber.

Dinny

Dinny Bossa Nova
02-12-2006, 07:12 PM
Seriously, FMB. BBQ success, IMHO, is 90% fire management/time.

If you can design a pit that can manage air intake well enough to control heat in the cooking chamber, all you lack is finishing up. I have never seen a "pit" that could control fire management to suit me.

A full-blown smokehouse is another story, but I am guessing you are not talking that level.

I can see a container twice as large as need be, but I would love to see a permanent pit design that affords me the air control as my Weber.

The Weber will be much easier to throw in the U-Haul than your pit, if you should decide to make another move.

It is a noble and worthwhile mission that you are on, godspeed.

Dinny

SLAG
02-12-2006, 07:13 PM

I thought he said he already had a wife

KChiefsQT
02-12-2006, 07:14 PM
No, that would be a pu$$y and/ or mouth... and for some, backdoors. But men like you wouldn't know that.

SLAG
02-12-2006, 07:15 PM
No, that would be a pu$$y and/ or mouth... and for some, backdoors. But men like you wouldn't know that.

can you help me find those places.... i could use you for some hands on instruction

KChiefsQT
02-12-2006, 07:16 PM
can you help me find those places.... i could use you for some hands on instruction
That's more of a man's job, ask Phob. Her knows how to please his women, per Pink.

B_Ambuehl
02-12-2006, 09:25 PM
Call up the Agri teacher at your nearest high school and ask him if he has any students who are building them as welding projects.

Seriously, we used to call my agri class Bar-B-Q pit 101 cause there'd always be about 50 people building Bar-B-Q pits....that's out of a school of 300..most of the pits would just stay there unused.

plbrdude
02-12-2006, 10:20 PM
Call up the Agri teacher at your nearest high school and ask him if he has any students who are building them as welding projects.

Seriously, we used to call my agri class Bar-B-Q pit 101 cause there'd always be about 50 people building Bar-B-Q pits....that's out of a school of 300..most of the pits would just stay there unused.

call me stupid, but when i think of a q pit, i am thinkin brick/and or stone.

Fire Me Boy!
02-13-2006, 05:47 AM
call me stupid, but when i think of a q pit, i am thinkin brick/and or stone.
Yeah, I was thinking brick, but now B_Ambuehl mentions it... this is a damn good idea for a big smoker! I know where I'm callin' this afternoon!