PDA

View Full Version : Six years ago last Wednesday..

WebGem
02-12-2006, 06:34 PM
I made the thread in 2004 and 2005 and I looked last Wednesday but it was late and I was wayyy too tired, but I was shocked there wasn't already one. So I figured since I was late I'd make it during the Pro Bowl, because that seems pretty fitting.

http://www.wildbillschiefs.com/features/dt_tribute.jpg

Six years plus four days ago, the heart of the Kansas City defense in the 1990's tragically passed away. Sixteen days after suffering a broken back in a car accident on an icy I-29, Derrick Thomas died at a Miami hospital where he was being treated for injuries that left him paralyzed from the chest down. He was 33 years old. Derrick had been a Kansas City Chief for eleven years, he was selected by the Chiefs in the first round of the 1989 draft (4th overall pick). 58 jerseys still remain in Arrowhead crowds, and rightfully so. Derrick had many accomplishments throughout his career, including nine consecutive Pro Bowl appearances, 126.5 sacks for almost 900 yards, 3 safeties, 18 fumble recoveries, and still holds the single game sack record of 7. The 7 sacks came on former KC quarterback Dave Kreig (vs Seattle) on November 11, 1990. Derrick recieved many awards, such as the 1999 VFW Man of the Year, the 1998 Butkus Award winner, 1993 NFL Man of the year, and many, many more. He joined the 100 sack club in 1997, one of less than 20 to join that club. I was hoping this year the Hall of Fame would be added to that list, but unfortunately it's not.

It always sucks thinking about Derrick, but it's a little different for me this year. My best friend back home in Arizona, Brian, was a die-hard Chiefs fan. On December 19th of last year he and his girlfriend died in a car accident. Our friend Breanna, who is now paralyzed from the neck down, and I were also in the car. He was a regular observer on the Planet, but never actually signed up. The Sluggo's guys wouldn't know him, because he was about 500x more superstitious than anybody I've ever met when it comes to the Chiefs, and he always had to watch the game in his room alone unless he was attending the game. He was actually at the Jets and 'Skins games with me at Arrowhead this year. I got a call from his mom last Wednesday (ironically) telling me she has 3 boxes full of Chiefs stuff for me to pick up next time I'm back in Arizona. I haven't brought this up much to anybody at all, in fact a lot of my friends in Nebraska don't even know it happened, but it's something I'm never going to forget and the fact that Brian never got to see the Chiefs win a Super Bowl makes me wonder if I ever will.

In memory of Derrick Thomas, buckle up. 58 forever.

JBucc
02-12-2006, 06:36 PM
I still forget to buckle up sometimes

chiefs4me
02-12-2006, 08:41 PM
I remembered him on that day..and even thought about starting a thread, but thought better about stirring up memories...I also have a box, call it a small shrine if you will, full of chiefs stuff bearing his number, not a big box, but enough that it would hurt if it was lost..I am really sorry to hear about your firend..my sympathy to you..

and yea...buckle up for 58

go bowe
02-12-2006, 08:48 PM
my wife's car makes all kinda God-awful noise if you don't put on your belt, passenger side too...

i hated it at first, but it's not so bad once i got used to it...

go bowe
02-12-2006, 08:48 PM
r.i.p. dt... :toast:

58-4ever
02-12-2006, 08:51 PM
I remember the suddenness of DT's death. Seemingly indestructible one day and gone the next. It really helps put things in perspective.

greg63
02-13-2006, 01:07 AM
RIP DT

Dunit35
02-13-2006, 01:13 AM
I was in 8th grader when he died. I remember coming home from my basketball game and my dad was pretty upset and told me he got in a car accident, I was fairly upset. I then had another game at Derby and come home to find out that he had died. It was the first time I had cried about somebodys death besides a family members death.

jidar
02-13-2006, 01:14 AM
Here's to you DT.

My wife and I were both raised by parents who didn't see the need to buckle up, things were different back then, people just didn't understand.
As a result we never did either until our kids were born and we both decided that we would never convince our kids to wear their seatbelts at all times if they didn't see us doing it. We changed our habits for their sake, and lets hope that incidents like this can help to remind everyone to change their habits.

CoMoChief
02-13-2006, 01:15 AM
RIP DT #58

Dunit35
02-13-2006, 01:19 AM
I don't buckle up unless I get on the highway. I have never once not buckled up on the highway.

huskerdooz
02-13-2006, 04:18 AM
I normally always buckle up. On the rare occasion that I'm a little slow to do so my 3 yr old will never fail to remind me. She always says "buckle up daddy", after which I thank her for reminding me and then I promptly do so.
I'm sure that if Derrick could have done it over he would have buckled up also. Unfortunately in real life we may not get the chance for do overs.