PDA

View Full Version : Perfect Pie Crust How-To?

Dinny Blues
02-12-2006, 06:28 PM
I'm talkin' scratch.

I know they can be bought, but so can....well lots of stuff.

How do YOU make pie crust?

Dinny

JBucc
02-12-2006, 06:29 PM
I don't make pie crust...

SLAG
02-12-2006, 06:29 PM
I usally wear a condom so i dont have that problem

FAX
02-12-2006, 06:30 PM
2 cups flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup crisco
1/4 cup water

Mix dry stuff

Cut in shortning

Add water (have it very cold - almost frozen)

Roll out ... makes two crust pie.

FAX

Dinny Blues
02-12-2006, 06:30 PM
I am trying to bring a new definition to "Crusty the Magnificent"

Dinny

BigMeatballDave
02-12-2006, 06:31 PM
I know a HIGH quality lard makes a HUGH difference...

FAX
02-12-2006, 06:32 PM
That's a f*cking award winning crust recipe, by the way, Mr. Dinny Blues. County Fair blue ribbon 22 times. Just don't overwork it.

FAX

KChiefsQT
02-12-2006, 06:32 PM
3/4 cup cake flour
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon white sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon baking powder
4 tablespoons unsalted butter
5 tablespoons shortening
1 egg yolk
2 teaspoons distilled white vinegar
3 cubes ice
1/2 cup cold water

Dinny Blues
02-12-2006, 06:39 PM
2 cups flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup crisco
1/4 cup water

Mix dry stuff

Cut in shortning

Add water (have it very cold - almost frozen)

Roll out ... makes two crust pie.

FAX

What is the method of "cutting" in shortening?

Where is the line for "overworking"?

Can I use a wine bottle as a roller, and if so, empty or full?

I have been playing with this stuff for a while, and I don't seem to match my mom's crust, or other good crusts from other folks.

As a blues musician for a couple decades, I can not say that nobody loves me but my mother. But that is a different story than pie crust.

Dinny

Halfcan
02-12-2006, 06:41 PM
Is this the kind of threads we have to look forward to until next season? ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

FAX
02-12-2006, 06:45 PM
What is the method of "cutting" in shortening?

Where is the line for "overworking"?

Can I use a wine bottle as a roller, and if so, empty or full?

I have been playing with this stuff for a while, and I don't seem to match my mom's crust, or other good crusts from other folks.

As a blues musician for a couple decades, I can not say that nobody loves me but my mother. But that is a different story than pie crust.

Dinny

Sorry, Mr. Dinny Blues.

Cutting. I use a wire pastry cutter I got from Williams Sonoma. I'm sure you can find them anywhere. Or, you can use a fork.

Overworking. You're making pastry. Not bread, so don't work the pastry too much. Be gentle.

Rolling. Doesn't matter what you use. I use a rolling pin but, I'm sure a wine bottle will work well.

Secret. Keep the water very cold. Also, you can put the pastry in the fridge for a little while before you construct the pie. For reasons I cannot explain, pastry likes cold.

General Information. Having spent my 20s in the music industry, I can attest to the fact that a man needs three things: a decent guitar, a woman who loves you, and a good pie crust recipe.

FAX

Dinny Blues
02-12-2006, 06:50 PM
Is this the kind of threads we have to look forward to until next season? ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

God forbid a thread mentioning pie.

It is OBVIOUSLY so irrelevant.

My apologies.

Dinny

JBucc
02-12-2006, 06:51 PM
Is this the kind of threads we have to look forward to until next season? ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZIn the offseason this converts to housekeepingplanet.com

Phobia
02-12-2006, 06:54 PM
They're learning to make pie for me.

FAX
02-12-2006, 06:54 PM

Gee whizikers, Mr. Halfcan. I tell you what. Go to your neighborhood grocery, buy two cans of cherry pie filling and use this recipe for the crust. The entire process will take you approximately 20 minutes time.

Bake the pie at 375 degrees for 50 minutes. Then, cut yourself a piece of warm cherry pie.

The last thing on your mind will be posting a bunch of mean "z"s.

FAX THE PASTRY MAN

Dinny Blues
02-12-2006, 07:02 PM
Sorry, Mr. Dinny Blues.

Cutting. I use a wire pastry cutter I got from Williams Sonoma. I'm sure you can find them anywhere. Or, you can use a fork.

Overworking. You're making pastry. Not bread, so don't work the pastry too much. Be gentle.

Rolling. Doesn't matter what you use. I use a rolling pin but, I'm sure a wine bottle will work well.

Secret. Keep the water very cold. Also, you can put the pastry in the fridge for a little while before you construct the pie. For reasons I cannot explain, pastry likes cold.

General Information. Having spent my 20s in the music industry, I can attest to the fact that a man needs three things: a decent guitar, a woman who loves you, and a good pie crust recipe.

FAX

I have a '59 Gibson LG1, a '36 Slingerland Songster Archtop and I know more phat chords than any drummer should.

I am now concentrating on the pie crust thing as opposed to the woman thing, as I believe that anything worth doing is worth doing well.

I have had less than zero success in the woman who loves me thing in 47 years of futility, and less than 12 months pie crust experience.

Pie crust optimism is still alive and well.

Dinny

Ari Chi3fs
02-12-2006, 08:57 PM
Veterans everywhere are lining up for Mr. FAX's f*cking award winning county fair pie crust.

Logical
02-13-2006, 12:34 AM
When I was young my parents had a German Woman come in and take care of my sister and I while they went to Vegas. This lady baked what was basically pie crust with a topping of powdered sugars and some sort of light glaze, god was that good. Flaky sweet and not to filling.

pikesome
02-13-2006, 01:21 AM
When I was young my parents had a German Woman come in and take care of my sister and I while they went to Vegas. This lady baked what was basically pie crust with a topping of powdered sugars and some sort of light glaze, god was that good. Flaky sweet and not to filling.

The whole reason I know how to make pie crust is something like this. My mother used to take the leftovers after making the pie, roll them out flat and sprinkle with cinnamon-sugar. I got my mother to teach me how to make crust just so I could make this after school.

pikesome
02-13-2006, 01:31 AM

FAX

On overworking: You don't want gluten forming which happens when you work flour doughs, its the stuff that makes bread chewy.

On the cool: You want the fat (shortning) to melt during cooking giving you a light flaky crust. The colder you keep it the more likely this will happen.

One more piece of advise when adding the water, you want to start with half of it then add the other half in small increments until the crust is just held together. It's hard to describe what it will look like but you want the smallest amount of water possible.