PDA

View Full Version : Grizzly Man!

Pages : [1] 2

Halfcan
02-12-2006, 07:27 PM
Documentary about the life and violent death of Timothy Treadwell. 13 seasons spent filming Grizzlies ended in tragedy. This film is mesmorizing, and a 2005 Sundance Film Festival winner.

I have been wanting to learn more about this man since I heard the stunning tape of his death and his girlfriend Amy. He absolutely, lived life on the edge, and gave his life to a cause he believed in.

Could you guys live like that, knowing any minute you could die a long and horrible death?

sd4chiefs
02-12-2006, 07:34 PM
It was on the Discovery Channel the other day. I tape it and watched about an hour of it but they would have 5 minutes of Grizzlie Man then 5 minutes of commercials. Just about everyone that they interviewed said that he should not have been out there with the bears and he got what he deserved.

4th and Long
02-12-2006, 07:35 PM
Dude got eaten by a bear eh?

Halfcan
02-12-2006, 07:38 PM
It was on the Discovery Channel the other day. I tape it and watched about an hour of it but they would have 5 minutes of Grizzlie Man then 5 minutes of commercials. Just about everyone that they interviewed said that he should not have been out there with the bears and he got what he deserved.

He really pissed a lot of people off. Funny they don't get mad at poachers and hunters that make millions off of killing animals, but this guy-they write letters about. Hell Bush is going to kill all the animals and turn it into an oil field anyway-so I guess it doesn't matter anymore.

Timothy should deffinately not been there at the end of the season like that. He broke his own rules.

sd4chiefs
02-12-2006, 07:39 PM
They shot the bear that was in his camp, cut it open, and found him and his girlfriend in the bear. :eek:

Deberg_1990
02-12-2006, 07:39 PM

I thought the same thing...it was very well made but Discovery Channel put in waaay too many commercials. I agree, the guy had good intentions, but his luck finally ran out. I feel he ultimately got what he deserved by playing with fire for like 13 years.

Bwana
02-12-2006, 07:40 PM
Todays Lesson: Know your limitations.

Halfcan
02-12-2006, 07:41 PM
Dude got eaten by a bear eh?

Yeah him and his girlfriend. Mauled and then literally ripped into pieces and eaten alive. He calls his own death in a scene with the exact bear that got him. I think he knew it was a matter of time. Almost like he wanted it that way-but really somehow didn't think it was so close, because he had his girlfriend there.

Halfcan
02-12-2006, 07:42 PM
They shot the bear that was in his camp, cut it open, and found him and his girlfriend in the bear. :eek:

Yep 4 trash bags full.

4th and Long
Some days you get the bear. Other days, the bear gets you.

4th and Long
Todays Lesson: Know your limitations.
AKA Dont f*ck with bears.

Brock
02-12-2006, 07:43 PM
I heard it was a Darwin Award Winning Film.

Frazod
02-12-2006, 07:44 PM
Was the camera rolling while they were being eaten? That would be f#cked up.

Halfcan
02-12-2006, 07:44 PM
I thought the same thing...it was very well made but Discovery Channel put in waaay too many commercials. I agree, the guy had good intentions, but his luck finally ran out. I feel he ultimately got what he deserved by playing with fire for like 13 years.

Surprised it was on Discovery with all the cussing. This shows that the Park system up there is a joke, and nobody really cares about Alaska or the Bears, when it comes down to it.

I don't think anyone deserves what he got-especially his girlfriend.

4th and Long
02-12-2006, 07:45 PM
F*cked up is actually asking the question you just posted.

You sick freak.

:p

Halfcan

Yes it was rolling-but the cap was on. The audio is worse than the old Faces of Death films.

Bwana
AKA Dont f*ck with bears.

Or do what I do, pack a .454 Casull when in Bear country and know how to use it. Sorry Mr tree hugger, you're not going to stop a bear by shooting it with a camera.

4th and Long
02-12-2006, 07:47 PM
Yes it was rolling-but the cap was on. The audio is worse than the old Faces of Death films.
So who got to play the part of chew toy first? Him or her?

Frazod
02-12-2006, 07:48 PM
F*cked up is actually asking the question you just posted.

You sick freak.

:p

You're just still pissed at me from this afternoon, go4th. :)

Halfcan
Or do what I do, pack a .454 Casull when in Bear country and know how to use it. Sorry Mr tree hugger, you're not going to stop a bear by shooting it with a camera.

He never once had a weapon, and refused to arm himself in 13 years. He would just smack the bear on the snout and say "shoo" then " I love you" over and over again. He got some amazing footage. The bear fight is the best.

Sure-Oz
Sucks his gf had to go to, damn that woulda sucked dieing like that.

Frazod

Ick. :spock:

4th and Long
You're just still pissed at me from this afternoon, go4th. :)
Bastard! :p

Frazod
02-12-2006, 07:49 PM
Bastard! :p

:evil:

Halfcan
02-12-2006, 07:50 PM
So who got to play the part of chew toy first? Him or her?

Dude-talking about f-uped. That was a sick question. Him first, she could have gotten away, but stayed to help. The bear literally did chew on them.

plbrdude
02-12-2006, 07:50 PM
actually it was rolling, just filming the lens cap though. they never played the audio, but the guy doing the autopsy talked about it, and they showed the director listening to it.think they said they destroyed it though.

4th and Long
02-12-2006, 07:51 PM
Careful there, Mr. "I tried Earl Grey because of Start Trek" and "I knew what Section 31 was and didn't even have to look it up."

:D

4th and Long
02-12-2006, 07:51 PM
Dude-talking about f-uped. That was a sick question. Him first, she could have gotten away, but stayed to help. The bear literally did chew on them.
She shoulda ran.

Bwana
02-12-2006, 07:52 PM
He never once had a weapon, and refused to arm himself in 13 years.

Hmm? It worked out for him for 13 years but................

Sure-Oz
02-12-2006, 07:53 PM
She shoulda ran.
If that was your wife or gf would've you?? Damn that would be a tough spot, they didnt have a gun or anything?

4th and Long
02-12-2006, 07:54 PM
If that was your wife or gf would've you?? Damn that would be a tough spot, they didnt have a gun or anything?
If a hungry bear is ripping someone up and I'm next and all I have is a hand with some skin on it for a weapon, you're damn right I'd run.

Frazod
02-12-2006, 07:55 PM
Careful there, Mr. "I tried Earl Grey because of Start Trek" and "I knew what Section 31 was and didn't even have to look it up."

Sorry, but you're not salvaging any dignity out of this one. :harumph:

ROFL

Halfcan
02-12-2006, 07:56 PM
actually it was rolling, just filming the lens cap though. they never played the audio, but the guy doing the autopsy talked about it, and they showed the director listening to it.think they said they destroyed it though.

It made its rounds on Yahoo-until a threat of a lawsuit, forced them to pull it. It was aweful, never thought a man could scream that high, it goes on for like ten minutes before they both die. Amy, I think, must have got decapitated because, her screams just stop, and he was like' no, no, leave her alone, then it just stops and he cries. Then the bear goes back, to Tim and chews his legs and arms for another 5 minutes before he stops screaming.

Sure-Oz
If a hungry bear is ripping someone up and I'm next and all I have is a hand with some skin on it for a weapon, you're damn right I'd run.
Yeah me too, that would still suck ass either way, but i wouldnt go looking for grizzlies either.

4th and Long
Sorry, but you're not salvaging any dignity out this one. :harumph:

ROFL
Dignity?

AAAAAAAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!

I lost that the moment I stepped onto this board over 2 years ago.

KcMizzou
02-12-2006, 07:57 PM
If a hungry bear is ripping someone up and I'm next and all I have is a hand with some skin on it for a weapon, you're damn right I'd run.You could always distract it with a beer. (Loved that commercial)

As for the movie, I've been wanting to see this for a while now. Didn't realize it was out on DVD. I'll have to check it out.

unlurking
Maybe it was just me, but I couldn't take his retarded commentary on his personal life. Every time he opened his mouth to talk about why nobody liked him, life was so hard, he's such a good catch but women don't like him, etc., I just started rooting for the bear. May be sick on my part, but the guy just came off as a total whack job.

Bwana

Oh bullshit! You would reach up, give him a nut twist, bitch slap him and send him running into the woods asahmed of himself with some hard earned manners.

Halfcan
02-12-2006, 07:58 PM

In the tape you can hear a frying pan hit the bear several times as Timothy is screaming. But no they never had any waepons, he said he would rather die than hurt a bear.

plbrdude
02-12-2006, 07:58 PM
It made its rounds on Yahoo-until a threat of a lawsuit, forced them to pull it. It was aweful, never thought a man could scream that high, it goes on for like ten minutes before they both die. Amy, I think, must have got decapitated because, her screams just stop, and he was like' no, no, leave her alone, then it just stops and he cries. Then the bear goes back, to Tim and chews his legs and arms for another 5 minutes before he stops screaming.

i never heard it on the net. glad i didn't now.

4th and Long
02-12-2006, 07:59 PM
Yeah me too, that would still suck ass either way, but i wouldnt go looking for grizzlies either.
Same here. The catalogue of knowledge in my brain would, for a split second, flip to the page containing the question, "How many people have killed a bear with their bare hands?"

The answer would prompt me to run like hell.

4th and Long
02-12-2006, 08:00 PM
Oh bullshit! You would reach up, give him a nut twist, bitch slap him and send him running into the woods asahmed of himself with some hard earned manners.
Ssshhhhhhhh!!!!!!! You're ruining my wimpy guy image, damnit!

Bwana
02-12-2006, 08:00 PM
he said he would rather die than hurt a bear.

Well he got his wish. I wonder if he was feeling the same way as the bear was eating him for lunch?

4th and Long
02-12-2006, 08:01 PM
he said he would rather die than hurt a bear.
Way to call your shot.

Halfcan
02-12-2006, 08:02 PM
Maybe it was just me, but I couldn't take his retarded commentary on his personal life. Every time he opened his mouth to talk about why nobody liked him, life was so hard, he's such a good catch but women don't like him, etc., I just started rooting for the bear. May be sick on my part, but the guy just came off as a total whack job.

I would have to agree with, he was unbalanced. I was kind of jealous of him in a way. I mean to swim and live with Grizzlies and the Foxes were like his pets. He did it all for free too. I think he had a death wish in a way-but somehow figured it was on down the row.

Sure-Oz
02-12-2006, 08:04 PM
Does this movie have the audio in it??? or is it just about him and what happend.

Halfcan
02-12-2006, 08:05 PM
I would have to agree with, he was unbalanced. I was kind of jealous of him in a way. I mean to swim and live with Grizzlies and the Foxes were like his pets. He did it all for free too. I think he had a death wish in a way-but somehow figured it was on down the row.

If it was somone you loved, you would fight it out. How could you run knowing your best friend is getting mauled and shreded alive. I would fight it out-cause I couldn't live with myself if I ran.

Halfcan
02-12-2006, 08:06 PM
Does this movie have the audio in it??? or is it just about him and what happend.

No audio of the death. But a coroner explains in detail how they were eaten.

4th and Long
02-12-2006, 08:06 PM
If it was somone you loved, you would fight it out. How could you run knowing your best friend is getting mauled and shreded alive. I would fight it out-cause I couldn't live with myself if I ran.
You mean to tell me you would enter into a hopeless, sure death situation?

You're not as bright as I had first thought.

plbrdude
02-12-2006, 08:07 PM

i agree with that too. he definately acted a little left of center. and maybe it wouldn't have seemed as bad if it weren't for the gay names he gave the bears and his i love you stuff.

luv
02-12-2006, 08:08 PM
I would put one foot in front of the other as quickly as I could.

I would have stayed had I thought that I could stop things from happening somehow, but how in the hell would I be able to defeat a bear with no kind of weapon?

KcMizzou
02-12-2006, 08:09 PM
Always remember : When being chased by an angry grizzly, you don't have to be faster than the bear... you only have to be faster than your friend.

Sure-Oz
02-12-2006, 08:09 PM

Esp. considering you had no weapons and no chance of saving your friend, come back and give the ****er hell later i say!

Bob Dole
02-12-2006, 08:12 PM
nm

milkman
02-12-2006, 08:13 PM

And you're still overestimating him.

4th and Long
02-12-2006, 08:14 PM
nm

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/attachment.php?attachmentid=53678&stc=1
I believe Mr. Dole just covered all the angles.

Halfcan
02-12-2006, 08:14 PM

I wouldn't be there in the first place, but I could never run if someone I loved was getting mauled. I find that hard to believe you would just let them die a gruesome, horrible death without trying to help.

This summer at Lake Manitoba, my kids got caught in the wind and undertow on a raft and were getting pulled out to nowhere. I swam about 300 yards in 30 degree water and got them. I kept getting pulled under in the current and really came close to drowning. But there was no way I going to let my kids die, and thank God I got to them and it all worked out.

KcMizzou
02-12-2006, 08:15 PM
And you're still overestimating him.Halfcan would calm the bear with the soothing sounds of Geddy Lee.

JBucc
02-12-2006, 08:16 PM
Drove me crazy when he kept saying "i love you i love you i love you". Well guess what, the bear doesn't care and is going to eat you anyways.

DJay23
02-12-2006, 08:17 PM
I saw it last week or whenever it first showed on Discovery. He was definitely a fanatic for what he did. They kept suggesting that he had a death wish to keep doing this. I have to wonder if they aren't wrong about that. He stated over and over that it was very dangerous what he was doing, and he knew the power of those bears. It was only a matter of time. The real tragedy was that his girlfriend had to go too.

The description the pilot that discovered their bodies gave was gruesome enough, I don't need to hear audio or see pictures.

4th and Long
02-12-2006, 08:17 PM
I wouldn't be there in the first place, but I could never run if someone I loved was getting mauled. I find that hard to believe you would just let them die a gruesome, horrible death without trying to help.

This summer at Lake Manitoba, my kids got caught in the wind and undertow on a raft and were getting pulled out to nowhere. I swam about 300 yards in 30 degree water and got them. I kept getting pulled under in the current and really came close to drowning. But there was no way I going to let my kids die, and thank God I got to them and it all worked out.
Theres a HUGE difference between swimming in cold water and fighting a killer grizzly with your bare hands.

Many people have survived swims in cold water. Facing an angry grizzly than wants to eat you, with no weapon, is just stupid.

You won't be able to save your loved one and you'll die trying in the process.

Exactly what purpose will your death serve?

ChiefsCountry
02-12-2006, 08:18 PM
Well the bear did the human race a big favor. Seriousally the dude was a freaking idiot.

Halfcan
I would put one foot in front of the other as quickly as I could.

I would have stayed had I thought that I could stop things from happening somehow, but how in the hell would I be able to defeat a bear with no kind of weapon?

Amy did stay and fought with a frying pan, until the bear either ripped her head off, or snapped her neck with a giant paw. Very sad deal.

4th and Long
Halfcan would calm the bear with the soothing sounds of Geddy Lee.
Better yet, take Geddy Lee with you. I hear he throws a mean punch.

Sure-Oz
02-12-2006, 08:19 PM
I don't want my head ripped off, i would've chucked the frying pan then ran!

Halfcan
02-12-2006, 08:20 PM
I saw it last week or whenever it first showed on Discovery. He was definitely a fanatic for what he did. They kept suggesting that he had a death wish to keep doing this. I have to wonder if they aren't wrong about that. He stated over and over that it was very dangerous what he was doing, and he knew the power of those bears. It was only a matter of time. The real tragedy was that his girlfriend had to go too.

The description the pilot that discovered their bodies gave was gruesome enough, I don't need to hear audio or see pictures.

Yep and the pic of the bear opened up, was pretty sick.

Halfcan
02-12-2006, 08:22 PM
Theres a HUGE difference between swimming in cold water and fighting a killer grizzly with your bare hands.

Many people have survived swims in cold water. Facing an angry grizzly than wants to eat you, with no weapon, is just stupid.

You won't be able to save your loved one and you'll die trying in the process.

Exactly what purpose will your death serve?

Tell that to Joe Delany. Death is death. I wasn't trying to compare my situation to fighting a Bear-just that I know I could never run and turn my back on someone I loved.

4th and Long
02-12-2006, 08:24 PM
Tell that to Joe Delany. Death is death. I wasn't trying to compare my situation to fighting a Bear-just that I know I could never run and turn my back on someone I loved.
Are you SERIOUSLY comparing yourself to Joe Delaney and his accident?

Halfcan
02-12-2006, 08:24 PM
Well the bear did the human race a big favor. Seriousally the dude was a freaking idiot.

Insane maybe, but I wouldn't call the work he did stupid. I mean, he was living his life exactly how he wanted and did not let the F#cked up Park system or the crooked Government to tell him otherwise.

Halfcan
02-12-2006, 08:28 PM
Are you SERIOUSLY comparing yourself to Joe Delaney and his accident?

No, but it could have ended the same for me. I really thought that I had it. It was a very bad situation, the place is uninhabited up there and there was nobody but me that could have saved them.

Frazod
02-12-2006, 08:29 PM
Always remember : When being chased by an angry grizzly, you don't have to be faster than the bear... you only have to be faster than your friend.

With friends like you, I'll certainly not be wandering unarmed into the wilds of Alaska. :D

4th and Long
02-12-2006, 08:29 PM
No, but it could have ended the same for me. I really thought that I had it. It was a very bad situation, the place is uninhabited up there and there was nobody but me that could have saved them.
Excuse me but, can you swim?

JOE DELANEY NEVER LEARNED TO SWIM!

Your arguments get worse with every post.

JBucc
02-12-2006, 08:30 PM
I don't think he deserved to die, but he certainly was asking for it. If someone said to you, "I'm gonna go live with some grizzly's for thirteen years" most people would probably say "you're gonna get eaten you idiot"

4th and Long
02-12-2006, 08:37 PM
For the record, if I'm ever out in the wilderness with any of you and a bear grabs my ass and starts eating me, and we were STUPID ENOUGH not to carry a gun with us ... RUN! RUN LIKE HELL! LEAVE ME THERE! GO! RUN! NOW!

Except you Halfcan. You break out the frying pan and start swinging. :D

KcMizzou
02-12-2006, 08:38 PM
Speaking of animals eating people. I just read that Peter Benchley has died.

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/20060212/benchley_obit_060212/20060212?hub=TopStories

Didn't know if it was worthy of it's own thread... :shrug:

Frazod
02-12-2006, 08:38 PM
Sounds like a clear cut case of Darwinism in action, with a side effect of some cool footage.

Definitely sounds like something I should watch.

Bwana
02-12-2006, 08:39 PM
I believe Mr. Dole just covered all the angles.

Just about, meet my little bear country friend:

stumppy
02-12-2006, 08:40 PM
The guy was a fruit cake. I tried watching it but couldn't stand all of his ' I love you ' bullshit, or his little tirade's in front of the camera.
He got exactly what he wanted.

4th and Long
02-12-2006, 08:40 PM
Speaking of animals eating people. I just read that Peter Benchley has died.

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/20060212/benchley_obit_060212/20060212?hub=TopStories

Didn't know if it was worthy of it's own thread... :shrug:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/2/20/Jaws_DVD.jpg/222px-Jaws_DVD.jpg

At least he wasn't doing something stupid like, swimming with chum in shark infested waters or something.

Halfcan
02-12-2006, 08:41 PM
Excuse me but, can you swim?

JOE DELANEY NEVER LEARNED TO SWIM!

Your arguments get worse with every post.

I am not the one saying I would turn my back and let a loved one die, just to save my own ass. When you questioned me about what I would do, I gave you a recent example. If you think it is stupid to try and save someone's life by putting your own in danger, that is your opinion, but I don't agree. Lots of folks do it for a living.

4th and Long
02-12-2006, 08:41 PM
I was referring to the idiot WITHOUT THE GUN in the picture. :D

Halfcan
02-12-2006, 08:45 PM

For some reason, I don't think you and Timothy would have got along.

chiefsfan987
02-12-2006, 08:46 PM
The guy was a complete nutcase. On the bright side, his watch took a lickin and kept on tickin :) I wonder if the battery was Energizer? It keeps going and going and going and...

4th and Long
02-12-2006, 08:46 PM
I am not the one saying I would turn my back and let a loved one die, just to save my own ass. When you questioned me about what I would do, I gave you a recent example. If you think it is stupid to try and save someone's life by putting your own in danger, that is your opinion, but I don't agree. Lots of folks do it for a living.
Again, your argument is full of holes.

Putting one's life in danger, i.e. firefighters, policemen, etc., is different than trying to kill a grizzly with your bare hands. Firefighters have equipment they use (hoses, O2 masks, 02 tanks, fire resistant suits, etc.). Policemen carry guns. These people have a sure chance at survival.

Going up againmst a 1 ton, hungry, pissed off grizzly with a your fists and a frying pan as your only weapons, makes you an automatic Darwin Award candidate. YOU'RE GOING TO DIE! PERIOD!

I asked this before and you didn't answer but I'll ask again. What purpose would you death serve if you chose to stay and die?

Sure-Oz
02-12-2006, 08:48 PM
You wouldn't save your friend or loved one by having a frying pan, there is no way you'd prevent them from dieing in that situation. You're basically ****ed.

Halfcan
02-12-2006, 08:56 PM
Just recently in a shark attack in Florida, a kid fought a tiger shark with his bare hands to save his brother. The brother lost his leg, but survived. It was a supposedly "sure" death situation, but the kid saved his brother.

So I guess, somehow I would think I could help, or die trying. I would never run away, and just let them die a horrible death.

Nzoner
02-12-2006, 08:56 PM

So hypothetically let's say the waters had been full of piranah or sharks do you still dive in?

Halfcan
02-12-2006, 09:01 PM
So hypothetically let's say the waters had been full of piranah or sharks do you still dive in?

You guys are missing the point. I would not want to live, if something ever happened to my kids, and would risk my life without thinking about it twice to prevent them from harm.

Maybe, Amy felt like she could help Timothy, or flet like it was worth it to try. It seems insane to be there in the first place, it was going to happen sometime.

4th and Long
02-12-2006, 09:02 PM
Just recently in a shark attack in Florida, a kid fought a tiger shark with his bare hands to save his brother. The brother lost his leg, but survived. It was a supposedly "sure" death situation, but the kid saved his brother.
Oh Jesus F*cking Christ.

You get an F in debate.

THIS IS NOT A SHARK WE WERE DISCUSSING!
IT'S A GRIZZLY BEAR!
APPLES AND ORANGES!
So I guess, somehow I would think I could help, or die trying. I would never run away, and just let them die a horrible death.
So you would let your wife not only go through having to bury your kids but, you'd throw in the added bonus of her having to bury you as well. Nice. That leaves her ALL LONE AT THE FUNERAL. It also leaves her with without you to comfort her or to possibly have other children with.

For this move, Mr. Sensitive, you win this award.

http://farrer.riv.csu.edu.au/ASGAP/APOL9/pigasus.gif

Sure-Oz
02-12-2006, 09:03 PM
If I put myself in that situation all the time, I would've brought a ****ing gun, just incase, I don't care how much i loved what i did, you gotta look out for yourself too and esp the ones you love being put in that situation. THey were just stupid not bringing any sort of protection.

4th and Long
02-12-2006, 09:04 PM
You guys are missing the point. I would not want to live, if something ever happened to my kids, and would risk my life without thinking about it twice to prevent them from harm.
I'm sure your wife takes great comfort in the fact that what you just said is a giant, "SCREW YOU SWEETY! THE KIDS ARE MORE IMPORTANT THAN YOU! I'D RATHER DIE WITH THEM THAN BE ALONE WITH YOU THE REST OF MY LIFE!"

Halfcan
02-12-2006, 09:05 PM
You must not have kids.

Your whole debate is, you would run like a coward and let your loved one die without trying to save them. Fine you win.

4th and Long
02-12-2006, 09:06 PM
You must not have kids.

Your whole debate is, you would run like a coward and let your loved one die without trying to save them. Fine you win.
There's a huge difference between running like a coward and dieing a needless, senseless death. Your line of reasoning suggests you would go parachuting sans a parachute.

4th and Long
02-12-2006, 09:08 PM
I believe I'll have a piece of cheesecake now and head off to bed. Lives to save at work tomorrow and all that rot.

I'm not the insensitive prick you think I am. :)

Psyko Tek
02-12-2006, 09:09 PM
the best thing you could do with a loved one getting eaten by a grizzly, and you got a frying pan...

is to kill your loved one and then run like hell

if the guy was screaming for 10 minutes, jebus

Nzoner
02-12-2006, 09:10 PM

Maybe, Amy felt like she could help Timothy, or flet like it was worth it to try. It seems insane to be there in the first place, it was going to happen sometime.

I'm not missing anything,I'm looking for a little common sense,in the case of the water,maybe a boat,or another raft.A cell phone to call help.By jumping into a lake full of piranah you're only guaranteeing one thing and that's that you're fish food,and I don't see how in the hell that's going to help your kids.

Sure-Oz
02-12-2006, 09:13 PM
id come back with a shotgun and shoot the bear until it was paralyzed and tie it down and start eating it alive as revenge LOL

not really

Halfcan
02-12-2006, 09:13 PM
I'm sure your wife takes great comfort in the fact that what you just said is a giant, "SCREW YOU SWEETY! THE KIDS ARE MORE IMPORTANT THAN YOU! I'D RATHER DIE WITH THEM THAN BE ALONE WITH YOU THE REST OF MY LIFE!"

No that is not what I am saying at all. I am saying, I would do whatever it takes to save them. I have been put in that situation, and did what it took to save them. Thank God it turned out good, but it could have been very bad. BTW I am divorced.

Halfcan
02-12-2006, 09:17 PM
I'm not missing anything,I'm looking for a little common sense,in the case of the water,maybe a boat,or another raft.A cell phone to call help.By jumping into a lake full of piranah you're only guaranteeing one thing and that's that you're fish food,and I don't see how in the hell that's going to help your kids.

The place is deserted up there, cel phones don't work, and I knew it was very dangerous when I jumped in. If you have ever been in freezing water, you would realize how your body shuts down. I just was'nt my time yet.

Bwana
02-12-2006, 09:29 PM
For some reason, I don't think you and Timothy would have got along.

There is zero doubt about that. I hate tree huggers. :shake:

Halfcan
02-12-2006, 09:31 PM
There is zero doubt about that. I hate tree huggers. :shake:

But Timothy would "Love you, love you, just love you," he would "LOVE YOU"-lol if you see the movie you will know what this means.

Demonpenz
02-12-2006, 09:31 PM
probably called him gobears on accident

jspchief
02-12-2006, 09:38 PM
If a bear attacked my wife, I hope that I would have the courage to try and save her. I don't think I could live with myself if I didn't try.

Bears almost never eat humans, and when they attack, they can often be driven off before killing their victim. I don't think it's entirely unreasonable to think you could help save someone in that situation. Of course, the biggest problem this idiot faced is probably the fact that the bears had gotten used to him enough that they were no longer wary of him. That and he had stopped carrying pepper spray.

Halfcan
02-12-2006, 09:42 PM
If a bear attacked my wife, I hope that I would have the courage to try and save her. I don't think I could live with myself if I didn't try.

Bears almost never eat humans, and when they attack, they can often be driven off before killing their victim. I don't think it's entirely unreasonable to think you could help save someone in that situation. Of course, the biggest problem this idiot faced is probably the fact that the bears had gotten used to him enough that they were no longer wary of him. That and he had stopped carrying pepper spray.

You mean you would take a chance instead of just running away? That is what I have been saying!!!!

The bear that got him seemed old and cranky and maybe sick. He was very close to it several times and filmed it a few days prior to his death. He even made a reference about being eaten. It was like he knew it was coming. He never had pepper spray or any weapon.

jspchief
02-12-2006, 09:45 PM
You mean you would take a chance instead of just running away? I'd like to think I would. Saying it while sitting at my computer, and doing it in the face of death are two different things. But I hope I would have the fortitude to do whatever I felt would help my wife.

Of course, things would be different because I don't think you'd find me in bear country without at least pepper spray if not a firearm.

Halfcan
02-12-2006, 09:48 PM
Bears actually love pepper spray, it works the opposite with them.

stumppy
02-12-2006, 09:53 PM

:thumb:

I know exactly what you mean. No way in hell I could run off and leave my kids. It wouldn't matter what was attacking them The fugging thing is going to have to deal with me.

You're very very lucky everything turned out OK at the lake. I was in almost the exact situation about 7 years ago. Except the 2 girls weren't mine. I had no idea who they were. Their dad had dove in the river trying to save them but he couldn't do it. All three were drowning, screaming for help. Me and some other guy went in after them. We got the 2 girls out alive then I went back for the dad. He was under by the time I made it to him. On my 3rd or 4th dive under I found him. Pulled him to the surface and headed back to shore with him. He was unconcious but still barely breathing. I made it about 2/3 of the way back with him. (When I struggled to pull him to the surface I fugged my back up real bad. Crushed a disc and broke off part of a vertabrae ) I couldn't make it all the way back with him. My life literally was flashing in front of my eyes. I had to let him go. Barely made to shore myself.
Saved the two girls but he died.

So, like I said. You and your children are very lucky.

Cochise
02-12-2006, 09:56 PM
The audio is worse than the old Faces of Death films.

You know most of those were fake, right?

Halfcan
02-12-2006, 09:59 PM
:thumb:

I know exactly what you mean. No way in hell I could run off and leave my kids. It wouldn't matter what was attacking them The fugging thing is going to have to deal with me.

You're very very lucky everything turned out OK at the lake. I was in almost the exact situation about 7 years ago. Except the 2 girls weren't mine. I had no idea who they were. Their dad had dove in the river trying to save them but he couldn't do it. All three were drowning, screaming for help. Me and some other guy went in after them. We got the 2 girls out alive then I went back for the dad. He was under by the time I made it to him. On my 3rd or 4th dive under I found him. Pulled him to the surface and headed back to shore with him. He was unconcious but still barely breathing. I made it about 2/3 of the way back with him. (When I struggled to pull him to the surface I fugged my back up real bad. Crushed a disc and broke off part of a vertabrae ) I couldn't make it all the way back with him. My life literally was flashing in front of my eyes. I had to let him go. Barely made to shore myself.
Saved the two girls but he died.

So, like I said. You and your children are very lucky.

Wow that is amazing. Some folks on here would just run. At least you saved the kids.

Yep I didn't feel too lucky at the time though. I swallowed so much water I was sick. That hypothermia is a bitch, your whole body feels like needles poking you until it just shuts down.

jspchief
02-12-2006, 10:00 PM
Bears actually love pepper spray, it works the opposite with them.Whatever. I suggest you google "bear spray". As far as I know, it's all pepper spray.

Halfcan
02-12-2006, 10:01 PM
You know most of those were fake, right?

The early ones I saw sure didn't look fake. The guy parchuting into the Gator farm was pretty horrible looking. Just the blank look on his face knowing he was a goner.

Halfcan
02-12-2006, 10:04 PM
Whatever. I suggest you google "bear spray". As fas as I know, it's all pepper spray.

Actually Bear Spray is a different formula. Regular old pepper spray doesn't do much to them, and it Not recomended, because more than likely it will end up in your own eyes. A loud Bull horn in a can, scares them pretty good I heard from a Ranger in Canada. Same with Cougars-make lots of noise and don't run-you could never get away.

Cochise
02-12-2006, 10:11 PM
The early ones I saw sure didn't look fake. The guy parchuting into the Gator farm was pretty horrible looking. Just the blank look on his face knowing he was a goner.

I saw some TV news show several years ago that said the stuff in FOD was mostly fake. It was in the context of some new video coming out at that time that was not fake and the controversy surrounding it.

jspchief
02-12-2006, 10:15 PM
Actually Bear Spray is a different formula. Regular old pepper spray doesn't do much to them, and it Not recomended, because more than likely it will end up in your own eyes. A loud Bull horn in a can, scares them pretty good I heard from a Ranger in Canada. Same with Cougars-make lots of noise and don't run-you could never get away.Well, I'm not talking about mace. I'm talking about bear spray. And the only difference I know of is the effective range. It sure as hell doesn't "work the opposite".

cdcox
02-12-2006, 10:36 PM
The dude should have brought Dick Chaney along with him. Wait... no... that wouldn't have worked out so well either.

Bwana
02-12-2006, 11:05 PM
The dude should have brought Dick Chaney along with him. Wait... no... that wouldn't have worked out so well either.

Heh! At least if he would have been dusted with a shot gun he would have lived. ROFL

Halfcan
02-12-2006, 11:07 PM
Well, I'm not talking about mace. I'm talking about bear spray. And the only difference I know of is the effective range. It sure as hell doesn't "work the opposite".

Timothy never had spray, he would just say "Bad bear" "now stop that" "I love you bear" and gave them all names.

Bear #141, didn't go for that. He was looking to fatten up. Spray won't stop them if they want to eat you. And regular pepper spray attracts them like honey.

SnakeXJones
02-12-2006, 11:16 PM
Sorry to Mr.Treadwell but i just had to post this.
Tim Treadwell's Death ! (http://damnshow.com/grizzly_man_damnshow%20com%20mp3.mp3)

Halfcan
02-12-2006, 11:41 PM
Tim Treadwell's Death ! (http://damnshow.com/grizzly_man_damnshow%20com%20mp3.mp3)

How could someone make a fake joke copy of their deaths. That is very poor taste-no pun intended.

Mr. Choclate didn't eat him, but that is a big freakin bear.

Count Zarth
02-12-2006, 11:51 PM
Treadwall is really annoying. The movie needed more bear stuff and less annoying tard.

Halfcan
02-12-2006, 11:56 PM
No sorry, I don't have the real audio file. I heard it once before it was pulled due to lawsuit, and that was enough. Just terrible, they really suffered a bad death.

Count Zarth
02-12-2006, 11:56 PM

That's funny shit.

Demonpenz
02-13-2006, 12:19 AM
the woman probably had her period and the bear smelled it.

ENDelt260
02-13-2006, 12:21 AM
the woman probably had her period and the bear smelled it.
I heard a rumor once that there's a shot women can take to prevent that sort of thing.

beavis
02-13-2006, 12:45 AM
I highly doubt what you heard was authentic.

NewChief
02-13-2006, 06:34 AM
If you've watched the movie, this spoof is pretty damned funny:
http://www.travisandjonathan.com/GrizzlyBearMan.html

jspchief
02-13-2006, 07:03 AM
Timothy never had spray, he would just say "Bad bear" "now stop that" "I love you bear" and gave them all names.

Bear #141, didn't go for that. He was looking to fatten up. Spray won't stop them if they want to eat you. And regular pepper spray attracts them like honey.I've read about ten different articles that said he carried bear spray in the early years of his outings, but he had stopped in the last few years. But don't let the facts get in the way of you pretending to be an expert on the subject.

And if you think regular pepper spray "attracts them like honey" you are a f*cking retard. I'd like to see one source that backs that statement up. According to: http://www.nps.gov/yell/tours/rangerlife/bearspray.htm

Bear spray is similar to the pepper spray police officers carry, but the canisters designed for bear encounters are much larger. Park rangers recommend that hikers carry the spray as defense in the event of a bear attack. Bear spray has proven very successful in stopping attacks, although one or two people are still injured each year by Yellowstone's bears. As for "spray not stopping them if they want to eat you", I'd also like to see the resaerch that supports that. For starters, bears so rarely eat humans, I doubt you'll find any expert on bears that would make such a claim. Most expert opinions on this particular attack believe the series of events as pieced together by the audio shows that Aimie's initial attack with the frying pan was effective in fending the bear off, and her actions after running the bear off the first time led to the bear's return.The notion of a bear that just wanted to eat a human so bad that there is no way to stop it goes against almost everything bear experts have learned over the years. Obviously there is no way to make a definitive statement that the bear could have been stopped. But to try and make a definitive statement that there bear couldn't be stopped is just as speculative, and also goes against what experts have known to be common habits of bears.

Saulbadguy
02-13-2006, 07:11 AM
I'd carry one of these around, just in case.

http://www.lcn.biz/lcnews/images/picnic-basket.jpg

jspchief
02-13-2006, 07:15 AM
I highly doubt what you heard was authentic.I do too. The audio was never in the hands of anyone but the authorities.

stumppy
02-13-2006, 07:54 AM
I do too. The audio was never in the hands of anyone but the authorities.

I seen one television show about him before Grizzly Man came out. It was a 48 hrs type of format. They had the recording and played some of it. They also interviewed his mom (I think). She declined to listen to it but the shows producer listened to all of it if I remember right. He was pretty shook up.

What they did play for the audience was pretty fugging sobering. You could hear him and his g/f screaming.

munkey
02-13-2006, 10:21 AM
The bear that got him seemed old and cranky and maybe sick. He was very close to it several times and filmed it a few days prior to his death. He even made a reference about being eaten. It was like he knew it was coming. He never had pepper spray or any weapon.

Actually the bear was freakn starving as Tim was in the maze in Oct. not spring when he normally went.

Like it's been said...he had it coming.

NewChief
02-13-2006, 10:22 AM
If you've watched the movie, this spoof is pretty damned funny:
http://www.travisandjonathan.com/GrizzlyBearMan.html

Ju mus neva eva neva eat da twinky.

Baby Lee
02-13-2006, 10:25 AM
Actually the bear was freakn starving as Tim was in the maze in Oct. not spring when he normally went.

Like it's been said...he had it coming.
Might've taken a cue from the Grizzly nearly drowning himself dredging the bottom of the creek for salmon carcasses.

munkey
02-13-2006, 10:28 AM
Might've taken a cue from the Grizzly nearly drowning himself dredging the bottom of the creek for salmon carcasses.

Exactly...

Then again he knew good and well it was NOT the time to be there...

David.
02-13-2006, 10:43 AM

jesus, stfu 4th. You're arguing for the sake of arguing. Lots of people would face death to try to save a loved one. Just because you'd run, doesn't mean everyone would.

give it a rest already.

Duck Dog
02-13-2006, 10:43 AM
He really pissed a lot of people off. Funny they don't get mad at poachers and hunters that make millions off of killing animals, but this guy-they write letters about. Hell Bush is going to kill all the animals and turn it into an oil field anyway-so I guess it doesn't matter anymore.

Timothy should deffinately not been there at the end of the season like that. He broke his own rules.

I was going to read this entire thread, but if this any indication of the retardedness within, I'll skip it. Besides, I know what happens.

Egomaniac bunny hugger thinks the bears love him because he loves them. He then gets carless and takes his girlfriend to see the hungry bears, while she's bleeding from the cooch. Bunny huggers become brunch. Did I miss anything?

MOhillbilly
02-13-2006, 10:48 AM
lucky ****in bear.

MahiMike
02-13-2006, 10:48 AM
Dick Cheney watched it in disgust. He said if the bear hadn't gotten him with his teeth, he would have done the job with his 12 guage... ROFL

Baby Lee
02-13-2006, 10:56 AM
I was going to read this entire thread, but if this any indication of the retardedness within, I'll skip it. Besides, I know what happens.

Egomaniac bunny hugger thinks the bears love him because he loves them. He then gets carless and takes his girlfriend to see the hungry bears, while she's bleeding from the cooch. Bunny huggers become brunch. Did I miss anything?
Just that it wasn't an afternoon trip. He spent 13 summers on the Preserve and taped 100s of hours of footage.

Also, not included on the documentary was his appearance on the Letterman show.

Simplex3
02-13-2006, 11:11 AM

You have just proven that you know exactly s**t about squat on this subject. That brings the total number of subjects you know something about to one: How to pick up nasty heffers in a bowling alley.

Simplex3
02-13-2006, 11:19 AM
Free huh? Who paid for all that camera gear? The tapes? The plane tickets in and out of there? The food he ate? His trips around the country to different schools?

The guy was living on donations to his foundation, moron. There was nothing "free" about it.

Chiefnj
02-13-2006, 11:20 AM
It was a good documentary. Great footage.

Treadwell was lucky to have made it 13 seasons. He definately had a screw loose.

Simplex3
02-13-2006, 11:23 AM
...I kept getting pulled under in the current and really came close to drowning. But there was no way I going to let my kids die, and thank God I got to them and it all worked out.
You're equating swimming in cold water with fighting a bear with no weapons? ROFL

Second, your kids were on a boat. You couldn't grab another boat and go after them? No chance of grabbing a life jacket? Think how screwed up your kids would be if they got to watch you drown right in front of them, only to be rescued 10m later by someone with a boat.

Simplex3
02-13-2006, 11:29 AM
If I was the one being eaten and my loved one DIDN'T run I'd be kicking their ass for eternity.

Let's also not forget this little fact: Let's say she managed to get the bear off of him after 30 seconds. He still dies. They were nowhere near medical help.

Simplex3
02-13-2006, 11:31 AM

If the brother got there in time to help the brother was already there when the first bit happened. In that situation I help because we're both f**ked already.

Simplex3
02-13-2006, 11:33 AM
You must not have kids.

My kids are a totally different deal than a psycho boyfriend/girlfriend who was asking for it.

Let's not lose sight of the fact that he went BACK that year during the migration season, when they are trying to chow down to make it through hibernation, all because he was mad about some mix-up on his flight.

Simplex3
02-13-2006, 11:37 AM
Of course, the biggest problem this idiot faced is probably the fact that the bears had gotten used to him enough that they were no longer wary of him.
Ding ding ding! The bears were no longer wary of him or any other human, which was the exact thing the park service and the other animal rights people were so pissed off at him about. He just made poaching easier because those bears don't even bother to hide from people now.

Chiefnj
02-13-2006, 11:40 AM

Isn't 30 degree water called ice?

Simplex3
02-13-2006, 11:40 AM
Wow that is amazing. Some folks on here would just run. At least you saved the kids.
Dude, you're still missing the point. Jumping in a river and pulling people out vs fighting a hungry bear is not an equal argument. I've been trained to help people who are drowing. I'd do that all day every day for complete strangers, much less my own family.

Simplex3
02-13-2006, 11:47 AM
Isn't 30 degree water called ice?
Come to think of it, what kind of f**ktard lets his kids get on a boat alone in a 30 degree lake?

SquirrellyBastard
02-13-2006, 11:49 AM
Man, I've got to see this film. Sounds intriguing. I checked the Discovery Channel and didn't see a re-run scheduled for it.
Anyone know if it will be replayed?

David.
02-13-2006, 11:50 AM
Dude, you're still missing the point. Jumping in a river and pulling people out vs fighting a hungry bear is not an equal argument. I've been trained to help people who are drowing. I'd do that all day every day for complete strangers, much less my own family.

Who's missing the point here?

He's just giving an example of someone risking their life for a loved ones.

You're "degree of danger" argument is stupid.

Chiefnj
02-13-2006, 11:50 AM
Come to think of it, what kind of f**ktard lets his kids get on a boat alone in a 30 degree lake?

Not a boat, but a "raft".

greg63
02-13-2006, 11:51 AM
Dick Cheney watched it in disgust. He said if the bear hadn't gotten him with his teeth, he would have done the job with his 12 guage... ROFL

Before or after shooting his friends in the face.

Simplex3
02-13-2006, 11:52 AM

Uh, "degree of danger" has everything to do with it. If it's a no-win situation and the other person has sustained fatal injuries before you can even get there you're an idiot for running in.

Simplex3
02-13-2006, 11:53 AM
Man, I've got to see this film. Sounds intriguing. I checked the Discovery Channel and didn't see a re-run scheduled for it.
Rent it. It's three hours of commercials if you watch it on Discovery.

Chiefnj
02-13-2006, 11:56 AM
What's worse than getting eaten by a grizzly bear? Getting eaten by one with missing canines and worn out canines so he can't really get a good bite into you to end your misery.

Halfcan
02-13-2006, 09:37 PM
You're equating swimming in cold water with fighting a bear with no weapons? ROFL

Second, your kids were on a boat. You couldn't grab another boat and go after them? No chance of grabbing a life jacket? Think how screwed up your kids would be if they got to watch you drown right in front of them, only to be rescued 10m later by someone with a boat.

First off I wasn't equating that at all. I was proving the point that not all people would run off.

Second, you know absolutely nothing about Manitoba, so why don't you post your stupid rants on someone elses thread that gives a shit what a ****in moron like you has to say. We were camping in St. Ambrose Provincial Park. Saskatchewan Manitoba. Why don't you ****ing go there before you sound off about boats and life jackets. It is wilderness, and is about a desolate place as you can get. The kids were is the swimming zone, when the wind picked up and immediatly pulled the little boat out into the water. There was nobody else to save them, and I didn't even think twice. I saved their lives that day, and I thank god that I did. So that outweighs anything a ****head like you could ever say.

Halfcan
02-13-2006, 09:43 PM

It was 80 degrees and sunny. The water was similar to the west coast surf, the deeper you get the colder it gets. I am a great Dad, and it was an awesome trip, so it really doesn't matter what a miserable prick like you has to say about anything.

chiefsfan987
02-13-2006, 09:57 PM

They did run it back to back the night that it was on. I don't think its been on the discovery channel since then though.

Halfcan
02-13-2006, 10:01 PM
What's worse than getting eaten by a grizzly bear? Getting eaten by one with missing canines and worn out canines so he can't really get a good bite into you to end your misery.

yep, that would be a horrible way to go.

Halfcan
02-13-2006, 10:03 PM

So is everything else he says.

listopencil
02-13-2006, 11:00 PM
Where the hell were their bear suits?

http://www.projectgrizzly.net/grizzly_keyart2.jpg

KcMizzou
02-15-2006, 03:42 PM
Finally saw this.

The guy was just plain crazy. Wow. I mean bat-shit crazy. The fact that he survived as long as he did, proves the old adage that God protects fools.

I agree with what Gochiefs said, though. I'd have liked more bears and less rambling retard.

"Ohhh... IloveyouIloveyouIloveyou."

No wonder they ate him.

KCChiefsMan
02-15-2006, 04:07 PM
da bears!

PunkinDrublic
02-25-2006, 06:07 AM
What I want to know is how would Rich Scanlon have fared one on one against a grizzly bear.

Bwana
02-25-2006, 06:37 AM
What I want to know is how would Rich Scanlon have fared one on one against a grizzly bear.

Don't be silly. :shake:

It's THE RICH SCANLON you're taking about. He would have owned it. :p

freebeer
02-25-2006, 07:14 AM
Does anyone know where to find the audio of his death? Someone has to have it.

greg63
02-25-2006, 11:30 AM

The bear would not have stood a chance.

chiefsfan987
02-25-2006, 01:15 PM
Its probably already been mentioned, but Grizzly Man will be airing on the Discovery Channel tonight for all of those who have not yet seen it.

wolfpack0735
02-25-2006, 03:44 PM
he kept saying that he was doing "scientific research"(or however you spell it) but never saw any. the only thing you saw was the crap coming from his mouth. the guy had problems,total wack-o.

Smoke
02-25-2006, 09:30 PM
I've been waiting to catch this on reruns..so to cliff note it.

Dipshits get eaten by a bear. Dipshits friends try to make them out to be less dipshitty than they appear. I piss away three hours of my life. Wife no longer allows me to watch tv shows based on "I read on Chiefs Planet it was good"

4th and Long
02-25-2006, 11:44 PM
I'm watching this right now and this guy was a certified nut job. He screwed around with nature in numerous fashions and as always happens, nature said, "Hey dumbass, you can't screw with me and win."

Darwin would have been proud.

greg63
02-25-2006, 11:56 PM
I'm watching this right now and this guy was a certified nut job. He screwed around with nature in numerous fashions and as always happens, nature said, "Hey dumbass, you can't screw with me and win."

Darwin would have been proud.

That's what I think about that Australian crocodile guy; dude's gonna get ate one of these days.

4th and Long
02-25-2006, 11:58 PM
That's what I think about that Australian crocodile guy; dude's gonna get ate one of these days.
Steve Irwin preaches respect and safety with wild animals. This gaylord was trying to play with these bears like they were his pets. No wonder he ended up as a chew toy.

greg63
02-26-2006, 12:03 AM
Steve Irwin preaches respect and safety with wild animals. This gaylord was trying to play with these bears like they were his pets. No wonder he ended up as a chew toy.

True; I just think the guy is a little bit crazy.

Bob Dole
02-26-2006, 06:14 PM
If you missed it previously, the idiot is on right now.

Bwana
02-26-2006, 06:25 PM
WOW! What a complete fugtard. :shake: I couldn't handle more that 20 minutes of that garbage. After seeing the first twenty minutes, there was little doubt it wasn't going to have a happy ending for the tree hugger. "Here bear, I love you bear." The world is a better place with the useless prick as bear shit.

Bob Dole
02-26-2006, 06:37 PM
It's like watching a Bizzarro World Mr. Roger's Neighborhood.

Bwana
02-26-2006, 06:41 PM
It's like watching a Bizzarro World Mr. Roger's Neighborhood.

The guy wasn't right that's for damn sure. It's about as smart as trying to take a bath with the plugged in hair dryer, no good is going to come from it and both acts are going to kill you.

Bob Dole
02-26-2006, 06:47 PM
They keep talking about "protecting the bears". Do they ever bother to attempt to explain WTF he thinks he's protecting them from?

JBucc
02-26-2006, 06:55 PM
Who the hell is the narrator? I can't stop thinking fish from American Dad

KcMizzou
02-26-2006, 06:59 PM
Who the hell is the narrator? I can't stop thinking fish from American DadWerner Herzog. Famous german documentarian.

Here's an interesting article... http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/19840520/PEOPLE/41129003/1023

4th and Long
02-26-2006, 07:03 PM
They keep talking about "protecting the bears". Do they ever bother to attempt to explain WTF he thinks he's protecting them from?
He claimed poachers, although he never actually confronted one, even when he saw them.

4th and Long
02-26-2006, 07:07 PM
The world is a better place with the useless prick as bear shit.
Form what I read, I don't believe he ever made it that far. After they shot the bear that ate him and his woman, they opened it up and retrieved the chewed up remains. Near the end of the show, some woman has the dudes cremated remains in what looked like a snuff can ROFL and she sprinkled them on one of his camp sites so he would always remain there. :rolleyes:

Bwana
02-26-2006, 07:14 PM
Form what I read, I don't believe he ever made it that far. After they shot the bear that ate him and his woman, they opened it up and retrieved the chewed up remains. Near the end of the show, some woman has the dudes cremated remains in what looked like a snuff can ROFL and she sprinkled them on one of his camp sites so he would always remain there. :rolleyes:

That's to bad, at least as pile of shit, he would have had a chance of doing some good, like helping a weed grow. :D

tk13
02-26-2006, 07:17 PM
I'm not sure you could pay me to listen to that tape.

KcMizzou
02-26-2006, 07:17 PM
That's to bad, at least as pile of shit, he would have had a chance of doing some good, like helping a weed grow. :DI got the feeling he wouldnt have minded ending up a pile of bear poo.

He certainly didn't mind playing with bear shit after the big fight between the two males. "Oh.. this was just in him. It was part of him." /orgasmic voice.

Freak.

Bob Dole
02-26-2006, 07:19 PM
Who wants to bet the loony Grizzly People bitch eventually sells the tape containing the audio?

JBucc
02-26-2006, 07:20 PM
I got the feeling he wouldnt have minded ending up a pile of bear poo.

He certainly didn't mind playing with bear shit after the big fight between the two males. "Oh.. this was just in him. It was part of him." /orgasmic voice.

Freak.People like him and that crocodile hunter guy seem to have some sort of animal poo fetish.

KcMizzou
02-26-2006, 07:21 PM
One other thing that stood out to me about this movie..

Did the interviews with his friends seem really fake to anyone else? I mean obviously, it's all real, or it would have come out by now. They just struck me as bad actors... who weren't even supposed to be acting.

KcMizzou
02-26-2006, 07:22 PM
Who wants to bet the loony Grizzly People bitch eventually sells the tape containing the audio?I thought the same thing when I watched the diary special. They talked about how they wouldn't destroy it because it was "part of Timmy". Yeah...

tk13
02-26-2006, 07:26 PM

Did the interviews with his friends seem really fake to anyone else? I mean obviously, it's all real, or it would have come out by now. They just struck me as bad actors... who weren't even supposed to be acting.
I've only watched the last half hour or so, but I thought that interview with the doctor was almost fake.

beavis
02-26-2006, 07:27 PM

Bob Dole
02-26-2006, 07:40 PM
Something seems more than a little contrived about quite a lot of it.

And the guy is definitely a total loon.

DJay23
02-26-2006, 08:15 PM
I thought the same thing when I watched the diary special. They talked about how they wouldn't destroy it because it was "part of Timmy". Yeah...
I think his friends are just as whacked as he was.

banyon
02-26-2006, 08:31 PM
It's on the Discovery Channel again right now.

ragedogg69
02-26-2006, 09:15 PM
i watched this last night. it was really interesting and then became really boring.

Frazod
02-26-2006, 09:25 PM
Well, I'm gonna TiVo this thing when it's on again in about half an hour. I'm sure I'll have some choice commentary to offer at a later time. :)

Halfcan
02-27-2006, 08:44 PM
I think his friends are just as whacked as he was.

I have to agree with that-seems they left out a lot of drug use stories.

DJay23
02-27-2006, 08:55 PM
I have to agree with that-seems they left out a lot of drug use stories.
Especially the lady that scattered his ashes. Kept saying how much she loved her best friend and talking to his ashes like he was there. I mean, I know it was emotional, but just the way she was doing it seemed a little beyond grief and more like lunacy. She actually sounded a lot like him. "I love you! I love you Timothy, I love you!"

Frazod
02-27-2006, 09:02 PM
I'm watching it now. Between the commercials every five minutes and the fact that Discovery Channel still isn't broadcast in HD, I just said f#ck it and rented it.

I'm up to the part where the pilot is talking about finding the leftovers.

These people were insane.

Halfcan
02-27-2006, 09:02 PM
Especially the lady that scattered his ashes. Kept saying how much she loved her best friend and talking to his ashes like he was there. I mean, I know it was emotional, but just the way she was doing it seemed a little beyond grief and more like lunacy. She actually sounded a lot like him. "I love you! I love you Timothy, I love you!"

They should have made her listen to that tape if they wanted emotional eye candy for the film. She is probably the one that released it to make money, until the family sued her and Yahoo.

Halfcan
02-27-2006, 09:04 PM
I'm watching it now. Between the commercials every five minutes and the fact that Discovery Channel still isn't broadcast in HD, I just said f#ck it and rented it.

I'm up to the part where the pilot is talking about finding the leftovers.

These people were insane.

That was the best part-plus the limited footage showing him like 5 feet from the bears-saying "I love you!"-lol

DJay23
02-27-2006, 09:17 PM
He was a stark raving lunatic, and nothing his crazy assed friends say will change my mind of that.

DJay23
02-27-2006, 09:18 PM
That was the best part-plus the limited footage showing him like 5 feet from the bears-saying "I love you!"-lol
That description was a little unsettling. When they found his remains, they found his head with some spine still attached. Pretty graphic.

4th and Long
02-27-2006, 09:22 PM
He was a stark raving lunatic, and nothing his crazy assed friends say will change my mind of that.
I thought so too and in retrospect, he was a bit on the gamy side for my taste.

Signed,
The Bear
http://img234.imageshack.us/img234/1861/bearpaw7bt.jpg

DJay23
02-27-2006, 09:24 PM
I thought so too and in retrospect, he was a bit on the gamy side for my taste.

Signed,
The Bear
http://img234.imageshack.us/img234/1861/bearpaw7bt.jpg
nice

Frazod
02-27-2006, 09:26 PM
Just got done with the part where the coroner gave his still-functional watch to his crazy ex-girlfriend.

Had I been in the theater, I would have yelled:

TAKES A LICKIN AND KEEPS ON TICKIN!

Iowanian
02-27-2006, 09:29 PM
I only saw the last half hour....

What a nutbag, douchenozzle.

Its only fitting a bear ate him? It did, didn't it?

He deserved it to be feet first with his stupidity.

Frazod
02-27-2006, 10:02 PM
Now he's playing with the bear shit.

Wow. Just wow. :spock:

chiefsfan987
02-28-2006, 12:52 AM
My favorite part was the Letterman clip that asked him if we were all gonna wake up one morning and find out that he'd be eaten by a bear.

Bob Dole
02-28-2006, 03:44 AM
I'm watching it now. Between the commercials every five minutes...

Bob Dole noticed the same thing Sunday night. IMDB lists the running time as 103 minutes (http://imdb.com/title/tt0427312/), which means Discovery managed to milk the thing for 77 minutes worth of commercial air time.

RaiderH8r
02-28-2006, 08:30 AM
This guy did a tremendous dissservice to those he thought he was protecting. He was turning those bears into his pets. He was habituating them to human contact. He made what was unknown; known, unfamiliar; familiar and threatening; non-threatening to the bears and they will probably die because of it. The bears may approach humans in the future based on their contact with him and some one will kill them. He crossed the boundaries and instituted himself into their hierarchy of life and some bears accepted him. Bad move dude. I'm not surprised he was from Cali. People always come to the mountains looking for answers to life's problems when there are none to be found. It's a mountain dude, it's solitude, it's not a prophet or God. Despite his feelings of closeness and oneness with the wilderness he failed to recognize one immutable fact despite all the evidence: Hungry bear has no friends. Hungry bear eats its young, hungry bear thinks with stomach and hungry bear is higher up on the food chain in that environment. Furthermore this guy was play acting, purporting to be "observing" and studying the bears in their habitat. WRONG. He was interacting and there's a world of difference between the two. He was folly in a number of his interactions including turning his back on bears who were eyeing him. He was oblivious to a number of stress indicators, specifically one scene where he's talking to the camera with a "rocking" bear in the back ground. He did so much wrong and so little right that I can't believe he took this show on the road to children. I suggest, to any who care to listen, do not take what this man said as any sort of authoritative analysis on bears, their behavior, or their usual interactions with other species. The footage is great, no doubt. But his actions endangered more bears than he saved and that is one of the tragedies of this story not to be overlooked.

Iowanian
02-28-2006, 08:36 AM
"how do you know its Grizzley $hit?"
"well, its the brown, with those bells that hikers wear on their shoes to scare off bears in it"

ROYC75
02-28-2006, 08:36 AM
I caught part of it Sat. night, I fell asleep thru all the commercials......

Personally, he was not playing with a full deck.

Bwana
02-28-2006, 08:37 AM
This guy did a tremendous dissservice to those he thought he was protecting. He was turning those bears into his pets. He was habituating them to human contact. He made what was unknown; known, unfamiliar; familiar and threatening; non-threatening to the bears and they will probably die because of it. The bears may approach humans in the future based on their contact with him and some one will kill them. He crossed the boundaries and instituted himself into their hierarchy of life and some bears accepted him. Bad move dude. I'm not surprised he was from Cali. People always come to the mountains looking for answers to life's problems when there are none to be found. It's a mountain dude, it's solitude, it's not a prophet or God. Despite his feelings of closeness and oneness with the wilderness he failed to recognize one immutable fact despite all the evidence: Hungry bear has no friends. Hungry bear eats its young, hungry bear thinks with stomach and hungry bear is higher up on the food chain in that environment. Furthermore this guy was play acting, purporting to be "observing" and studying the bears in their habitat. WRONG. He was interacting and there's a world of difference between the two. He was folly in a number of his interactions including turning his back on bears who were eyeing him. He was oblivious to a number of stress indicators, specifically one scene where he's talking to the camera with a "rocking" bear in the back ground. He did so much wrong and so little right that I can't believe he took this show on the road to children. I suggest, to any who care to listen, do not take what this man said as any sort of authoritative analysis on bears, their behavior, or their usual interactions with other species. The footage is great, no doubt. But his actions endangered more bears than he saved and that is one of the tragedies of this story not to be overlooked.

Good read and right on the money. The guy was a complete tool that had no clue about the way a bear thinks. he thoguht he was playing with animals at the dog pound. Oooops, that was a hard lesson.

Extra Point
02-28-2006, 08:50 AM
He didn't learn a lesson, he gave one:

It's called "wildlife" for a reason. Don't mess it up!

RaiderH8r
02-28-2006, 08:50 AM
Good read and right on the money. The guy was a complete tool that had no clue about the way a bear thinks. he thoguht he was playing with animals at the dog pound. Oooops, that was a hard lesson.
He is a case study in what is problematic of many in the environmental community. He knew the ecosystem, identified plants and animals and such but he did not understand it. Evidence: he came upon a fox pup that had been attacked in the night and was distraught over it. Cursing the wolves who did it and then even telling the flies to get away and demonstrating sadness and anger that the flies should show more respect. That's the wild dude. Circle of life Simba. Things are born, they are killed, eaten, decomposed. No room for sentimentality when the ecosystem is operating as it should. He had so many issues going on that it would take a long time to list them all, suffice it to say he was not looking at the system objectively or scientifically but rather emotionally and that's the fundamental fallacy in logic most pseudo-enviros suffer from. And that pisses me off when they tell me to "know, love, and respect the environment." Condenscending a-holes. I'm going back to Montana and hippie hunting.

Frazod
02-28-2006, 08:51 AM
After some reflection, my thoughts are this:

This guy was basically a deranged, paranoid, alcoholic life-failure who could have easily died in obscurity on skid row or in some state-run nuthouse. Instead, he took off to Alaska, lived and died on his own terms doing exactly what he wanted, and achieved some measure of immortality, because no one who watches this movie will ever forget him. And I'm sure he'd enjoy that.

He was crazy, but harmless. He lived. He ranted. He probably smelled really bad. And he was entertaining. And he certainly provided us all with a life lesson on how NOT to interact with grizzly bears.

Interesting flick. I'm glad I watched it.

ROYC75
02-28-2006, 08:54 AM

This guy was basically a deranged, paranoid, alcoholic life-failure who could have easily died in obscurity on skid row or in some state-run nuthouse. Instead, he took off to Alaska, lived and died on his own terms doing exactly what he wanted, and achieved some measure of immortality, because no one who watches this movie will ever forget him. And I'm sure he'd enjoy that.

He was crazy, but harmless. He lived. He ranted. He probably smelled really bad. And he was entertaining. And he certainly provided us all with a life lesson on how NOT to interact with grizzly bears.

OK, he will be forever known as a bad example .

RaiderH8r
02-28-2006, 08:57 AM

He's not harmless. He's done more harm to the ecosystem in which he lived than any oil or gas rig could possibly do. He didn't contaminate but he made humans affable, appealing, and friendly to a species that normally and by purposeful intent avoid human contact. Bears functioning normally within an ecosystem go out of their way to avoid humans and the bears he befriended will no longer do that. Treadwell said he was protecting the bears from poachers, nice job ****wad, the bears you've interacted with have no fear of humans and may evil like the contact with humans. Whereas before they ran, hid, and avoided they will now come out of the brush to inspect, sniff, and play. Easy target for a .300 magnum ass clown.

This guy should be called out for what he is, a charloton who "used" bears and his interactions to achieve a small piece of fame. His footage should be used as what not to do in bear country evidence and a lesson for all who would think that nature actually gives two fiddler's ****s about you or your oneness with it.

Frazod
02-28-2006, 08:58 AM

I'm not condoning what he did. The guy was a psychotic freak. But he lived life on his own terms, and crazy or not, there's something to be said for that.

RaiderH8r
02-28-2006, 08:58 AM
Well, that's a bit more concise than mine, but none the less true.

RaiderH8r
02-28-2006, 09:00 AM
I'm not condoning what he did. The guy was a psychotic freak. But he lived life on his own terms, and crazy or not, there's something to be said for that.
Yeah....BURRRPPPP.
http://www.usask.ca/communications/ocn/03-oct-17/images/grizzly.jpg

Frazod
02-28-2006, 09:05 AM
He's not harmless. He's done more harm to the ecosystem in which he lived than any oil or gas rig could possibly do. He didn't contaminate but he made humans affable, appealing, and friendly to a species that normally and by purposeful intent avoid human contact. Bears functioning normally within an ecosystem go out of their way to avoid humans and the bears he befriended will no longer do that. Treadwell said he was protecting the bears from poachers, nice job ****wad, the bears you've interacted with have no fear of humans and may evil like the contact with humans. Whereas before they ran, hid, and avoided they will now come out of the brush to inspect, sniff, and play. Easy target for a .300 magnum ass clown.

This guy should be called out for what he is, a charloton who "used" bears and his interactions to achieve a small piece of fame. His footage should be used as what not to do in bear country evidence and a lesson for all who would think that nature actually gives two fiddler's ****s about you or your oneness with it.

Does a grizzly really run from anything? I see your point, but its not like he was rolling around playing with the bears. There probably wasn't a time when any of them wasn't a split second away from eating him. Big difference between the way he interracted with the bears and the way he interracted with the foxes (he certainly did them a disservice).

I also figure that anybody who's heading up there with a mind to kill bears and enough firepower to do it will kill them regardless of whether or not they interracted with Treadwell.

RaiderH8r
02-28-2006, 09:13 AM
Does a grizzly really run from anything? I see your point, but its not like he was rolling around playing with the bears. There probably wasn't a time when any of them wasn't a split second away from eating him. Big difference between the way he interracted with the bears and the way he interracted with the foxes (he certainly did them a disservice).

I also figure that anybody who's heading up there with a mind to kill bears and enough firepower to do it will kill them regardless of whether or not they interracted with Treadwell.
Run, not so much. Avoid, abso-****ing-lutely. Bears, like humans, will give the unknown a wide berth and remain undetected if at all possible. You are supposed to stay visible to the bears. Do not surprise them. If they see you, chances are they will avoid you. Treadwell was encouraging their approach, at one point leading stray cubs to water. BAD MOVE. They're cubs and cute and you think they need help. But you have just taken the role of parent. Mama bear takes cubs to water for food. Those cubs now associate humans with food reward and bears learn quickly. Food reward is the strongest behavioral association a bear can make and they learn it very quickly. Bears should not come within 20 yds. Staying 100 yds away at all times is the standard. There is plenty of literature on the issue available so I won't go into it here. But, where Treadwell's bears are concerned, they will be far easier targets for poachers than they would have been otherwise. That I guarantee.

ROYC75
02-28-2006, 09:15 AM
Run, not so much. Avoid, abso-****ing-lutely. Bears, like humans, will give the unknown a wide berth and remain undetected if at all possible. You are supposed to stay visible to the bears. Do not surprise them. If they see you, chances are they will avoid you. Treadwell was encouraging their approach, at one point leading stray cubs to water. BAD MOVE. They're cubs and cute and you think they need help. But you have just taken the role of parent. Mama bear takes cubs to water for food. Those cubs now associate humans with food reward and bears learn quickly. Food reward is the strongest behavioral association a bear can make and they learn it very quickly. Bears should not come within 20 yds. Staying 100 yds away at all times is the standard. There is plenty of literature on the issue available so I won't go into it here. But, where Treadwell's bears are concerned, they will be far easier targets for poachers than they would have been otherwise. That I guarantee.

Damn, he was setting them up for a quick fall.

Just adding a little humor here.

RaiderH8r
02-28-2006, 09:19 AM
Damn, he was setting them up for a quick fall.

Just adding a little humor here.
Unintended consequences are a bitch. But all too common when one does not use one's noggin for thinkin.

ROYC75
02-28-2006, 09:23 AM
He was out to prove to the world you can intereact with a grizzy bear. For 13 years, his theory was going along well, but these creatures are to unpredictable for this. Their instints of the wild is to survive, live off the land and to protect themselves.

You can't change that ....... Circus acts have tried to do this with animals for years.

RaiderH8r
02-28-2006, 09:26 AM
He was out to prove to the world you can intereact with a grizzy bear. For 13 years, his theory was going along well, but these creatures are to unpredictable for this. Their instints of the wild is to survive, live off the land and to protect themselves.

You can't change that ....... Circus acts have tried to do this with animals for years.
I wouldn't say they are unpredictable. They do have exhibit body language to clue you in to their state of mind. But Treadwell was oblivious to it.

More than that, like I said, hungry bear has no friends.

NewChief
02-28-2006, 09:30 AM
I wouldn't say they are unpredictable. They do have exhibit body language to clue you in to their state of mind. But Treadwell was oblivious to it.

More than that, like I said, hungry bear has no friends.

I'm not sure he was entirely clueless. He did survive 13 years out there after all. He also died by breaking his own rules and overstaying in that particular spot for too long, thus exposing himself to the danger of an unhealthy, hungry bear. I have very little admiration for Tim Treadwell, as I think he was misguided and delusional, especially in his attitude toward nature. That being said, I think dismissing him as entirely clueless when it comes to bears discounts the close contact that he maintained with the bears for 13 years, somehow managing to survive.

I do agree with your assessment that he ultimately did more harm than good to the bears by familiarizing them with a human presence.

RaiderH8r
02-28-2006, 09:39 AM
I'm not sure he was entirely clueless. He did survive 13 years out there after all. He also died by breaking his own rules and overstaying in that particular spot for too long, thus exposing himself to the danger of an unhealthy, hungry bear. I have very little admiration for Tim Treadwell, as I think he was misguided and delusional, especially in his attitude toward nature. That being said, I think dismissing him as entirely clueless when it comes to bears discounts the close contact that he maintained with the bears for 13 years, somehow managing to survive.

I do agree with your assessment that he ultimately did more harm than good to the bears by familiarizing them with a human presence.
I think most of the credit to his survival is due primarily to the remote nature of the area, bears do not see many humans and they will demonstrate a curiosity if they feel the situation is non threatening, at least for a time. And that happens when the uncommon becomes common.

Treadwell used non-threatening language encouraging the bears to investigate him, used submissive posture to demonstrate himself as non-aggressive and further encouraging their approach. I don't mean to sound entirely dismissive of his knowledge of the outdoors, whether he understood the ecology and biology is another issue. He did manage to survive for months on end in outback wilderness. I'd be very interested in his early encounters in the area. What occurred to develop his kinship? What was his early attitude when he was out there? Somewhere along the line he lost sight of the boundaries that are necessary within an ecosystem, if he ever adhered to those boundaries at all is something worth considering.

RaiderH8r
02-28-2006, 09:42 AM
On another note, those were some awesome bears. The muscular tone and structure was amazing. Bears do rule but R-E-S-P-E-C-T them.

Bob Dole
02-28-2006, 11:06 AM
So where are the results of the "study" he repeatedly references published?

Or if he never got around to publishing, where is the raw data?

And what was the objective of the study, again?

Chiefnj
02-28-2006, 11:28 AM
So where are the results of the "study" he repeatedly references published?

Or if he never got around to publishing, where is the raw data?

And what was the objective of the study, again?

I think he was the raw data. Literally.

ROYC75
02-28-2006, 11:32 AM
I think he was the raw data. Literally.

It was raw........

melbar
02-28-2006, 11:47 AM

Oh come on! That land was set aside years ago exclusively FOR oil drilling and their only planning on using the equivilent of a shoebox on a basketball court. They said the same crap about the Alaskan oil line and it ended up helping save the caribou population. Horrible trade off for what may be the largest oil reserves in the world.
Why is it that Bush bashers have to jump on any thread with any subject and make it political? Take that crap somewhere else like maybe the political section. Anyway..
Treadwell was crazy and endangered his girlfriend who was scared to death of bears . Of all the creatures in this world that need protection from a crazy skinny little white dude it would be Grizzly bears! He did show some beautifull film of these animals , but in the end it was more about him and he did more harm than good.

melbar
02-28-2006, 12:18 PM
If I put myself in that situation all the time, I would've brought a ****ing gun, just incase, I don't care how much i loved what i did, you gotta look out for yourself too and esp the ones you love being put in that situation. THey were just stupid not bringing any sort of protection.
Exactly! I know you want to be kind to the animals , but if its person or animal , person wins . If you want to endanger yourself with no defense fine, but not when someone else is in your care.

Bob Dole
02-28-2006, 12:24 PM
Seriously, the guy constantly references his "study" during the freakumentary. WTF was he studying?

Chiefnj
02-28-2006, 12:24 PM
Oh come on! That land was set aside years ago exclusively FOR oil drilling and their only planning on using the equivilent of a shoebox on a basketball court.

If you are talking about the area Treadwell was, I don't believe that is true. It was created to preserve the valley formed by a volcano. I believe the National Geographic Society was a leader in preserving it.

ROYC75
02-28-2006, 12:53 PM
Seriously, the guy constantly references his "study" during the freakumentary. WTF was he studying?

How long it takes to get eaten by a bear. It's a Big controversy, some say 1 hour, he wanted to prove them wrong.

PunkinDrublic
02-28-2006, 12:59 PM
He is a case study in what is problematic of many in the environmental community. He knew the ecosystem, identified plants and animals and such but he did not understand it. Evidence: he came upon a fox pup that had been attacked in the night and was distraught over it. Cursing the wolves who did it and then even telling the flies to get away and demonstrating sadness and anger that the flies should show more respect. That's the wild dude. Circle of life Simba. Things are born, they are killed, eaten, decomposed. No room for sentimentality when the ecosystem is operating as it should. He had so many issues going on that it would take a long time to list them all, suffice it to say he was not looking at the system objectively or scientifically but rather emotionally and that's the fundamental fallacy in logic most pseudo-enviros suffer from. And that pisses me off when they tell me to "know, love, and respect the environment." Condenscending a-holes. I'm going back to Montana and hippie hunting.

Wow you see one movie and suddenly you're an expert on the whole environmental community. For the record the guy grew up in Long Island, NY not Cali so if you're going to generalize after watching a movie at least get it right. But it doesn't suprise me that neocon reactioaries will use one documentary as a generalization of people who give a shit about the environment.

NewChief
02-28-2006, 01:16 PM
Wow you see one movie and suddenly you're an expert on the whole environmental community. For the record the guy grew up in Long Island, NY not Cali so if you're going to generalize after watching a movie at least get it right. But it doesn't suprise me that neocon reactioaries will use one documentary as a generalization of people who give a shit about the environment.

I pretty much thought the same thing when I read those posts. I'm pretty involved and active in the greenie community, and I can tell you that everyone I've talked to thinks that Treadwell was moronic/misguided.

I avoided comment to try to keep it from going DC, but since you broached the subject....

RaiderH8r
02-28-2006, 01:27 PM
I grew up and lived in Montana so my position is based on a lifetime of experience with people EXACTLY like Treadwell. My travels throughout the west are extensive and I've forgotten more about backpacking than Treadwell ever thought he knew. Treadwell grew up in Long Island but spent the years leading up to his "study" in California. And I would submit that it was those years in California that were more formative of his world view at the time of the documentaries than his youth in NY. And it's the same attitude and line of thought shared by so many enviro chronies who come up and assert their knowledge on matters they clearly know nothing about. I've left more environmental understanding in tightly coiled lumps buried 3 feet deep in forests than most of these jokers could ever ascertain. These environmental groups may be well intentioned but at the end of the day they are praying on people's misunderstanding and lack of education on the subject matter to fill their coffers to fight ideaological fights rather than base their conclusions on sound science. Gee, sound familiar (hint: religious whackos). I stopped classifying myself as an environmentalist years ago because I did not and do not want to be associated with those ****stains.

Iowanian
02-28-2006, 02:00 PM
I guess the greenies would prefer to talk about the enviro-nuts that break into labs, burn homes, drive spikes into trees in logging areas, turn loose hundreds of animals from mink farms.....

DJJasonp
02-28-2006, 03:14 PM
He never once had a weapon, and refused to arm himself in 13 years. He would just smack the bear on the snout and say "shoo" then " I love you" over and over again. He got some amazing footage. The bear fight is the best.

Tough love is a bitch....

Hmmm, wonder where the relationship started to fall apart????

MAYBE WHEN HE SMACKED THE BEAR ON THE FREAKIN' SNOUT??????

Reminds me of those "when good times go bad" shows on Fox....definitely finds me rooting for the bear.

Idiot.

Bwana
02-28-2006, 06:26 PM
I'm going back to Montana and hippie hunting.

Heh! Let me know when you are going to show up and I will buy the beer.

Bwana
02-28-2006, 06:34 PM
But it doesn't suprise me that neocon reactioaries will use one documentary as a generalization of people who give a shit about the environment.

Nice rant :shake:

So how many Grizzly bears do you have down there in Texas sport?

Halfcan
02-28-2006, 08:40 PM
Nice rant :shake:

So how many Grizzly bears do you have down there in Texas sport?

Everything is bigger in Texas, so they say. So that would be a big freakin bear. :hmmm:

Armadillo would be more likely.