PDA

View Full Version : Pittsburgh to host 2006 opener Sept 7th

Dremel
02-13-2006, 04:10 PM
Pittsburgh likely to host opener
NFL may have overseas game in '06, perhaps London
Posted: Monday February 13, 2006 3:49PM; Updated: Monday February 13, 2006 4:03PM

NEW YORK (AP) -- The 2006 NFL season most likely will start in Pittsburgh on Sept. 7, keeping with a recent trend of beginning the schedule with the current Super Bowl champion.

The Thursday opener could be part of a doubleheader, one beginning at 6 p.m. Eastern time and the second at 9. p.m., NFL spokesman Greg Aiello said Monday. He also said the league is still open to a game overseas for the 2006 season, perhaps in London's Wembley Stadium.

The US men won halfpipe gold. Will the women win tonight?

Buy NFL Tickets at OnlineTickets
OnlineTickets.com wants to be your source for all your sports, concert, and theatre...
www.onlinetickets.com

NFL SuperBowl 2005 Tickets Available
Buy your Super Bowl 2005 tickets while seats are still available and before prices go...
www.superbowlticket.com

NFL Tickets - 800BUytickets
Huge selection of all sports event tickets worldwide. Terrific customer service and...
www.800buytickets.com

NFL Ticket for Less
MCT offers a huge selection of hard to find tickets to sold out concerts, sporting and...
www.magiccitytickets.com

The 2006 schedule will be disclosed in April, although some games, such as the opener, may be announced earlier.

The NFL began opening its season on Thursday night in 2002, when San Francisco was at the New York Giants, in part to commemorate the terrorist attacks of Sept. 11, 2001. The following season, the New York Jets were at Washington in the game in what was also considered a game honoring the two cities hit by the attacks.

But the last two openers have been at New England, the Super Bowl champion. The first was against Indianapolis and last season's opener was at Oakland.

NBC, which takes over from ABC as the network for night games, probably would televise the game in Pittsburgh. The second game that night would be telecast by ESPN, which is taking over the Monday night spot from ABC.

That would provide the cable network with a 17th game -- the league most likely is to go again without a game the final Monday night of the season. Thursday and Saturday nights are now unavailable to ESPN because the NFL Network has picked up eight late-season games on those nights, beginning with Thanksgiving night.

As for the London game, Aiello said it remained under consideration. Commissioner Paul Tagliabue said at the Super Bowl it was unlikely the NFL would play a regular-season game outside the United States this season. The first one took place last season with San Francisco playing Arizona in Mexico City.

Copyright 2006 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

58-4ever
02-13-2006, 04:14 PM
there's a lot goin on in this thread

Coogs
02-13-2006, 04:20 PM
Pittsburgh's home opponents for 2006...

Baltimore, Cincinnati, Cleveland, Denver, Kansas City, New Orleans, Tampa Bay, Miami

Suppose we could be the team playing the Steelers that opening Thursday? I could see it being us or Denver.

DJay23
02-13-2006, 04:23 PM

Baltimore, Cincinnati, Cleveland, Denver, Kansas City, New Orleans, Tampa Bay, Miami

Suppose we could be the team playing the Steelers that opening Thursday? I could see it being us or Denver.
I would guess it would be Denver, creating a rematch of the AFC title game.

Whenever we play at Pittsburgh, I'm going. It will be my first Chiefs game since '96.

ArrowheadHawk
02-13-2006, 04:24 PM

cincy would be more interesting on a national scope

Coogs
02-13-2006, 04:27 PM
cincy would be more interesting on a national scope

I could see that too, unless they want to save that game for later in the season. Steelers will probably have multiple PrimeTime telecasts this season.

ArrowheadHawk
02-13-2006, 04:40 PM
I could see that too, unless they want to save that game for later in the season. Steelers will probably have multiple PrimeTime telecasts this season.
oh how great it would be to win a title.....just think one more game won by the chiefs and the steelers don't even make the playoffs..not to say that the chiefs could have done the same....we sucked on the road...but still

Fruit Ninja
02-13-2006, 04:48 PM
I think KC will be a good choice. Be some good soundbites for the nfl with Herm having to play in London. Then again, Denver and Cinci would be great as well. Its really a toss up.

Mile High Mania
02-13-2006, 04:50 PM
Seems like they always like to have "rematches" in these types of games, which would mean Cincy or Denver. Since Palmer is up in the air, I doubt they would go that route... they'll want to get a high profile matchup.

Denver or KC would be the way to go... personally, I'd say give 'em KC.

chief52
02-13-2006, 05:30 PM
The Thursday opener could be part of a doubleheader, one beginning at 6 p.m. Eastern time and the second at 9. p.m., NFL spokesman Greg Aiello said Monday.

I can not believe the NFL would have games starting at 6 p.m. EST on a Thursday night. They have tried 8 and felt it was too early if I remember correctly. I would miss the entire game here in CA. as the game would start at 3 p.m.! I can not imagine the NFL doing that.

Bob Dole
02-13-2006, 05:32 PM
Steelers and Saints.

FAX
02-13-2006, 05:35 PM
I'd say give 'em KC.

Why, Mr. Mile High Mania? What is your reasoning? Are you chicken?

FAX

KCChiefsFan88
02-13-2006, 05:48 PM
Steelers and Saints.

If they are going to have a double header that Thursday I think this is a likely match-up so the NFL can play up the Hurricane relief theme. I'd say Denver or Cincy would be the other likely opponents.

ChiefsCountry
02-13-2006, 06:14 PM
It wont be the Chiefs, that is the only weekend that the Royals are out of town.

Smed1065
02-13-2006, 08:17 PM
Going to be Denver.

Garcia Bronco
02-13-2006, 08:19 PM
I read something the other day saying it would be Denver or Miami

jspchief
02-13-2006, 08:23 PM
I hope it's Denver. It would be nice to see them start the season with a loss again.

CHENZ A!
02-13-2006, 10:09 PM
whichever team gets T.O. will play in that game. KC, Den, or Mia.

cmh6476
02-13-2006, 10:32 PM
anyone know where I can buy 2005 SuperBowl tickets? :shrug:

Mile High Mania
02-13-2006, 11:59 PM
I hope it's Denver. It would be nice to see them start the season with a loss again.

Mr Fax Man ... this is the type of reasoning I have for KC playing at Pitt in week 1. :clap:

Amnorix
02-14-2006, 06:48 AM
Seems like they always like to have "rematches" in these types of games, which would mean Cincy or Denver. Since Palmer is up in the air, I doubt they would go that route... they'll want to get a high profile matchup.

Denver or KC would be the way to go... personally, I'd say give 'em KC.

Not always. Last year it was Pats hosting Raiders, which was kind of a surprise...

ChiefsCountry
02-14-2006, 07:22 AM
Not always. Last year it was Pats hosting Raiders, which was kind of a surprise...

Did you forget about the Raider love fest last offseason?

dj56dt58
02-14-2006, 05:19 PM
whichever team gets T.O. will play in that game. KC, Den, or Mia.
Exactly what I was gonna say...

chiefqueen
02-15-2006, 04:00 PM
It wont be the Chiefs, that is the only weekend that the Royals are out of town.

Actually I just checked the Royals schedule, the Chiefs could host MNF on 9/18, an off date for the Royals.