PDA

View Full Version : Donkeys wand Edge?

kczoo
02-14-2006, 09:07 AM
Free Agent Whores..

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/scorecard/02/13/truth.rumors.nfl/index.html

kczoo
02-14-2006, 09:10 AM
Donkeys want Edge, caught my typo before you bastards corrected me

ChiefsfaninPA
02-14-2006, 09:10 AM
Name one big name free agent the Donkeys haven't been trying to get. It doesn't matter who they pick up, they still will have Jake "I suck major bahs" the Snake at QB.

chagrin
02-14-2006, 09:11 AM
The Viking Sheep dines on Swiss Cheese, Olives and Beer

Wile_E_Coyote
02-14-2006, 09:12 AM
does Plummer do the wanding

~not a bastard, that I know of anyway:harumph:

:p

Cochise
02-14-2006, 09:12 AM
They put their name in for everyone... lets see who they actually land... :rolleyes:

Mile High Mania
02-14-2006, 09:48 AM
All fans should want their teams to show interest in anyone that can upgrade their team.

Edge will cost too much cash though...

KCTitus
02-14-2006, 09:49 AM
All fans should want their teams to show interest in anyone that can upgrade their team.

Edge will cost too much cash though...

I wouldnt say Edge is necessarily an upgrade to KC's RB corps, but that's just me.

Mile High Mania
02-14-2006, 10:15 AM
I wouldnt say Edge is necessarily an upgrade to KC's RB corps, but that's just me.

:hmmm: I'm missing where I suggested that one... I was addressing the comment about Denver chasing "every" FA and just making a statement that suggested, if there's room for improvement - go for it.

jspchief
02-14-2006, 10:18 AM
I wouldnt say Edge is necessarily an upgrade to KC's RB corps, but that's just me.I don't think you'll find anyone that thinks Edge is an upgrade for KC. But I think MHM was meaning he was an upgrade for Denver.

Interesting. A few years ago, we were being told that Shanahan can make any back thrive in his system. That's why they could trade away Portis for Champ Bailey. Now fast forward and Denver still has a terrible pass defense, and they're in the market for a star RB.

The genius is chasing his tail.

Mile High Mania
02-14-2006, 10:22 AM
I don't think you'll find anyone that thinks Edge is an upgrade for KC. But I think MHM was meaning he was an upgrade for Denver.

Interesting. A few years ago, we were being told that Shanahan can make any back thrive in his system. That's why they could trade away Portis for Champ Bailey. Now fast forward and Denver still has a terrible pass defense, and they're in the market for a star RB.

Enh, I don't know if he's chasing his tail... Bailey has worked out and even without a "premier" RB, the team was what... #2 (maybe 3) rushing in the NFL? Personally, I like the premier back mentality, but it's hard to argue with his system's success for RBs. They nearly had two 1,000 yard backs.

The team wasn't perfect and has some issues, but they were one game from the big one... so, he's doing something right. The defense improved, the offense was good... but, they both collapsed at the worst time ... against Pitt.

jspchief
02-14-2006, 10:30 AM
Enh, I don't know if he's chasing his tail... Bailey has worked out and even without a "premier" RB, the team was what... #2 (maybe 3) rushing in the NFL? Personally, I like the premier back mentality, but it's hard to argue with his system's success for RBs. They nearly had two 1,000 yard backs.

The team wasn't perfect and has some issues, but they were one game from the big one... so, he's doing something right. The defense improved, the offense was good... but, they both collapsed at the worst time ... against Pitt.It's probably more of a case of Denver fans chasing their tails...

Personally, I don't know what to think of your running game. While it looks statistically like it's working fine, it's also clear that it struggles when you need it most. You don't have a RB that you can really lean on. Bell reminds me of Michael Bennet for the Vikings. He's a threat, but he's too inconsistent to ever be the feature back.

Your pass D is a disaster. They rely too heavily on the blitz, and teams like NE and PIT, that were able to neutralize the blitz, shredded you guys. You're in much the same situation as KC IMO. Your D-line can't consistently pressure, so too much lands on your secondary. You rectify the pressure problem with blitzing, and it results in opening other areas. The only difference is your team blitzes more effectively than KC does.

Mile High Mania
02-14-2006, 10:33 AM
It's probably more of a case of Denver fans chasing their tails...

Personally, I don't know what to think of your running game. While it looks statistically like it's working fine, it's also clear that it struggles when you need it most. You don't have a RB that you can really lean on. Bell reminds me of Michael Bennet for the Vikings. He's a threat, but he's too inconsistent to ever be the feature back.

Your pass D is a disaster. They rely too heavily on the blitz, and teams like NE and PIT, that were able to neutralize the blitz, shredded you guys. You're in much the same situation as KC IMO. Your D-line can't consistently pressure, so too much lands on your secondary. You rectify the pressure problem with blitzing, and it results in opening other areas. The only difference is your team blitzes more effectively than KC does.

I will not disagree on those two aspects... I miss the badass RB that can take over a game when you need it. The RBBC can do it at times, but not consistently. Also, it doesn't allow one of the guys to really get in a groove.

On the pass defense... they blitz way too often and live or die by it, the D Line sucked in sacks. Sure, they had lots of pressures and knock downs, but not enough of the crushing sacks.

vailpass
02-14-2006, 10:44 AM
I don't think you'll find anyone that thinks Edge is an upgrade for KC. But I think MHM was meaning he was an upgrade for Denver.

Chasing his tail? He got to the AFC Championship game this year. I'm willing to wager that the vast majority of Chiefs fans would be very happy if they had a coach who could chase his tail deep into the playoffs.

Your assesment of Denver's pass D is way off the mark and shows either a lack of knowledge or a bias against Denver. Shanny started two different rookie DBs and gave a third significant PT. With a year under their belt they will be major contributors to a solid D backfield.
The concept is known as drafting and growing your own players and has been known to work from time to time.

Mile High Mania
02-14-2006, 10:45 AM
In addition to the rookies, Denver also had a long stretch of games through the season where they jumped out to huge leads forcing teams to drop the run and pass pass pass.

HolmeZz
02-14-2006, 10:50 AM
Seeing as the Donkeys have been trading away backs once they feel they get too big, why would they go and sign a big time FA back?

Mile High Mania
02-14-2006, 10:51 AM
Who knows... they're likely just playing the game. I would imagine one of their top 4 picks goes to a RB.

I'm hoping Dline with one of the 2 top picks, WR with one of the top 3... then best available. They need some young Oline talent as well.

jspchief
02-14-2006, 10:52 AM
Chasing his tail? He got to the AFC Championship game this year. I'm willing to wager that the vast majority of Chiefs fans would be very happy if they had a coach who could chase his tail deep into the playoffs.

Your assesment of Denver's pass D is way off the mark and shows either a lack of knowledge or a bias against Denver. Shanny started two different rookie DBs and gave a third significant PT. With a year under their belt they will be major contributors to a solid D backfield.
The concept is known as drafting and growing your own players and has been known to work from time to time.So you think your secondary was good? Just because you have Champ Bailey back there doesn't mean you have a good secondary. Those rookies may have made some plays, but overall your team was easy to pass on when your blitz wasn't working.

Denver has been trying to fix their secondary for three years now, and are still 28th in the league. Looks like Shanny's got it all figured out.

Mile High Mania
02-14-2006, 10:57 AM
So you think your secondary was good? Just because you have Champ Bailey back there doesn't mean you have a good secondary. Those rookies may have made some plays, but overall your team was easy to pass on when your blitz wasn't working.

Denver has been trying to fix their secondary for three years now, and are still 28th in the league. Looks like Shanny's got it all figured out.

Stats are stats... they gave up lots of yards, but finished 4th in points allowed at 16.4 or something. Not too shabby.

vailpass
02-14-2006, 10:59 AM
So you think your secondary was good? Just because you have Champ Bailey back there doesn't mean you have a good secondary. Those rookies may have made some plays, but overall your team was easy to pass on when your blitz wasn't working.

I think our secondary was good enough considering the rookie starters/contributors. More to the point I like what Shanny is doing in drafting talent, giving the rookies significant PT and coaching them up within the system.
IMHO they will be even better next year and by year three (barring injury, assuming they continue on the same growth curve, etc.) they will be a top 3 D-backfield.
Its the off-season JSP, hope springs eternal. :)

jspchief
02-14-2006, 11:00 AM
Stats are stats... they gave up lots of yards, but finished 4th in points allowed at 16.4 or something. Not too shabby. They alowed 63% completion percentage and 304 yds per game in the play-offs. Your inability to stop the pass is the biggest reason you lost to Pittsburgh.

If you think your pass D is good, I think you're fooling yourself.

Mile High Mania
02-14-2006, 11:02 AM
They alowed 63% completion percentage and 304 yds per game in the play-offs. Your inability to stop the pass is the biggest reason you lost to Pittsburgh.

If you think your pass D is good, I think you're fooling yourself.

I've said since they lost to Pitt that the defense failed them every bit as badly as Jake did in that game. The defense gave up twice their season average in points...

The defense was killed on the blitz, Cedric Wilson went nuts... it sucked without a doubt.

The playoffs were not banner days for the defense...

KCTitus
02-14-2006, 11:18 AM
:hmmm: I'm missing where I suggested that one...

I think it was the part where you stated 'All fans should'...maybe I mistakenly read that to include Chiefs fans.

TEX
02-14-2006, 12:20 PM
I admire the Cheating Donx ability to identify problems and do what it takes to try and fix them. They seem to make moves every year and they seem to find the $$$ to do it.

So what if it sometimes costs them 3rd round draft choices... :hmmm:

TEX
02-14-2006, 12:21 PM

The concept is known as drafting and growing your own players and has been known to work from time to time.

Lack of knowledge? Are you actually telling us that it was hard to throw on Denver's Secondary?

Cormac
02-14-2006, 01:36 PM
Back to the thread topic.....:p

I don't care if Denver sign TO and Edge. Both are going to command too much money for their age. One will cause major problems in the locker room, and the other is good but overrated. The league is loaded with good young RBs, and we might have the best one. If Denver want to overpay for a good RB with a lot of mileage and 1 catastrophic injury, so be it. I'll be glad we didn't have to resort to that. Better yet, they might sign Ricky Williams. Why, I wouldn't know.

Besides, I don't think the running game is what needs fixing in Denver. Until they get a legit QB, they'll struggle in the big games.

vailpass
02-14-2006, 02:17 PM
Lack of knowledge? Are you actually telling us that it was hard to throw on Denver's Secondary?

You missed the point of my post.

BigChiefFan
02-14-2006, 02:17 PM
Edgerrin James would be a damn good fit in Denver. He's still a top 10 back in the league and I expect him to continue to be for the next 2-4 years.

ROYC75
02-14-2006, 02:23 PM
Somewhere I heard that Maurice Clarett was avaialable, a troubled kid that Shanarat could turn around, plus he's cheap and has alot of upside.

Cormac
02-14-2006, 02:32 PM
Edgerrin James would be a damn good fit in Denver. He's still a top 10 back in the league and I expect him to continue to be for the next 2-4 years.

But how much difference will he make to a rushing attack that ranked 2nd in the league? And, how much will he cost? He's not a bad player but he'll eventually hit their cap hard, and the run game isn't their problem. Bring him on, I say.

Boon
02-14-2006, 02:35 PM
Does James run like Barry Sanders?

phxchief
02-14-2006, 03:11 PM
Pat Riley syndrome in Denver.

Halfcan
02-14-2006, 03:13 PM
Donks had a lucky year, we will kick their asses next year. Sweep.

phxchief
02-14-2006, 03:13 PM
I think our secondary was good enough

Evidently not, unless Denver wears white and yellow jerseys now and I missed the update.

BigChiefFan
02-14-2006, 03:22 PM
Edgerrin James will only upgrade their offense, IMO. I can't see it any other way. He's a damn good player. I'm just hopeful that his pricetag exceeds what they are willing to offer him. It's not that they would become unstoppbale with him, but they would be better with him on their team, IMO.

TEX
02-14-2006, 03:31 PM
You missed the point of my post.

No friend, you missed a very obvious point of your post.

DJJasonp
02-14-2006, 04:07 PM
A big part of Edge's effectiveness is:

Peyton
Marvin
Reggie

Let's see....plummer, smith, etc. etc.....

Not quite the same league.....

Cormac
02-14-2006, 10:44 PM
Edgerrin James will only upgrade their offense, IMO. I can't see it any other way. He's a damn good player. I'm just hopeful that his pricetag exceeds what they are willing to offer him. It's not that they would become unstoppbale with him, but they would be better with him on their team, IMO.

I see your point BCF. And he is a damn good player. But for how much longer. I would be just as happy to see Denver take on a $30-$40m contract on Edge in order to get 5 more rushing yards per game. I don't think he can do much to help their overall team performance. And it's less money that they can spend on D-line or WR. If I was a Denver fan, I wouldn't want them to sign him.

JMO, of course.

cmh6476
02-14-2006, 11:03 PM
true, which is why KC won't show interest.

the Talking Can
02-15-2006, 12:04 AM
awesome...sign him...nothing matters because the problem with your team is your QB...you tried different RBs, different CBs, and the playoff embarassments all return to one unchanged variableL Plummber...

greg63
02-15-2006, 01:14 AM
Donks had a lucky year, we will kick their asses next year. Sweep.

Git yer broooms out. :D

phxchief
02-15-2006, 12:51 PM
A big part of Edge's effectiveness is:

A big part of Denver's success is:

LT Break Ankles
LG Break Ankles
C Break Ankles
RG Break Ankles
RT Break Ankles

You think he's got more of a good thing in Indy than he would in the Running Back Factory of the NFL? You're nuts if so.

Mile High Mania
02-15-2006, 02:24 PM
I think it was the part where you stated 'All fans should'...maybe I mistakenly read that to include Chiefs fans.

Can't let ya have the final word. :p My comment was all fans should want their teams to always try and updgrade their teams... not that all fans should want their teams to specifically go after Edge.

And I don't know that Edge could improve them statistically, but I think he'd have a greater presence... I like that they can get yards with the two-headed monster, but I like the premier RB mentality. Edge would improve them from the standpoint of being "the guy" and he's pretty good in the receiving game.

Again though, he'll cost too much and that's just not a priority for them.

ct
02-15-2006, 02:28 PM

Well done on both points! :clap:

vailpass
02-15-2006, 02:45 PM
Evidently not, unless Denver wears white and yellow jerseys now and I missed the update.

Don't quote partial statements so as to alter the apparent meaning in order to suit your purpose.

My entire sentence read: "I think our secondary was good enough considering the rookie starters/contributors."

This is in support of the overall point of my post: that Denver's D-backfield went through the growing pains you would expect formm rookie starters but in the big picture IMO Shanny's decision to draft/play rookie DBs will result in a formidable D-backfield.

Halfcan
02-15-2006, 02:48 PM
Didn't Edge get his leg broke at Arrowhead? What are we worried about, we can stop him.

phxchief
02-15-2006, 02:49 PM
Don't quote partial statements so as to alter the apparent meaning in order to suit your purpose.

When asked "so you think your secondary was good" you said "good enough considering........"

Frankly, it doesn't matter what you're considering.

What was it good ENOUGH to do? Make it through 1 round of the playoffs?

Then yes, absolutely. But was it good ENOUGH (enough: doing the only thing that matters, winning the silver)? No.

People said KC playing "average defense" would be "good enough" for the team to win big. Was it good ENOUGH?

No. Not even with the considerations for new starters, including a rookie.

vailpass
02-15-2006, 03:19 PM
When asked "so you think your secondary was good" you said "good enough considering........"

Frankly, it doesn't matter what you're considering.

What was it good ENOUGH to do? Make it through 1 round of the playoffs?

Then yes, absolutely. But was it good ENOUGH (enough: doing the only thing that matters, winning the silver)? No.

People said KC playing "average defense" would be "good enough" for the team to win big. Was it good ENOUGH?

No. Not even with the considerations for new starters, including a rookie.

Dude you live in Phoenix and root for the Chiefs. Exactly what is it that you think qualifies you to judge what matters in determining what is good enough to win playoff games or SuperBowls? nlm

If you don't understand the concept of building through the draft and accepting the growing pains inherent therein I'll not take anymore time to try and explain it to you. Relax though, with your current GM you will not have to worry about being exposed to such a concept.