PDA

View Full Version : Argh! SBC idiots...

jidar
02-15-2006, 12:06 AM
It used to be you could at least except decent support if you were a network admin. I mean hell, SBC support has never been great but at least their business support usually had decent guys manning the phones. Not this time. This monkey was worthless.
I told him the link was down for one of my clients, and he's all like "well I'll try to ping the lan side"
I said "what...? lan side?"
He's like "Yeah, you're ethernet interface"
I'm like "oh.. you have that information?"
He's like "yeah it should be x.x.x.1"
Red flags! At this point I realize he's assuming that the class C he is routing to us is what we are using on the LAN side of the router, and it isn't. Not only that, I'm old school so I don't use the bottom of the subnet for the router, I always use the last usable IP. IE, .254 instead of .1
I'm like "Oh, no we don't have it setup that way. that subneis routed somewhere else internally."
and He's all "Well if you don't have it setup that way then that's why it's not working."
Gah! I can't believe what I'm hearing. It takes me a minute or so of arguing to realize that the guy does in fact believe that it can only be setup the way he described, and he's not hearing anything else.
At that point I just hung up and called back 20 minutes later to get someone less clueless. The client has a redundant link anyway.

Bah, sorry for the tech speak but I'm sure some of you can relate. This isn't the type of crap I want to deal with in the middle of the night when I have the damned flu.

milkman
02-15-2006, 12:11 AM
"He's Like", "I'm like", "He's all"

Valley Tech Speak!

jidar
02-15-2006, 12:13 AM
yeah...
I was like "he's like" and you were like "he said he's like, lol!"

Count Alex's Losses
02-15-2006, 12:26 AM
They are morons.

My modem got fried by a T-Storm and they sent me a new one.

It was a dud.

Good thing I had a backup modem.

greg63
02-15-2006, 12:45 AM
They are morons.

My modem got fried by a T-Storm and they sent me a new one.

It was a dud.

Good thing I had a backup modem.

Yep! They are extremely clueless; it is the reason I have cable now.

Count Alex's Losses
02-15-2006, 12:46 AM
Yep! They are extremely clueless; it is the reason I have cable now.

I have two options in my area. SBC or ****ing satellite internet. I'll stick with SBC as the service is fine.

greg63
02-15-2006, 12:48 AM
I have two options in my area. SBC or ****ing satellite internet. I'll stick with SBC as the service is fine.

In your situation, I don't blame ya. I'm just glad I have the cable option where I live.

Simplex3
02-15-2006, 02:29 AM
Years ago a guy working for me called up SBC to complain that one of our customer's circuits had gone down. After about 30m of working with the guy in the switch room he asks if my guy can hold. He says sure. After about 10 minutes of hold music he hangs up and calls back but gets someone else. He asks for the guy that put him on hold and the new SBC guy replies "He's not here, he went to lunch about 10 minutes ago."

Simplex3
02-15-2006, 02:39 AM
I had another customer who's long distance carrier was one of the second-teir carriers. One day their outbound long distance stopped working, so I have to get on the phone with their carrier. I'm talking to guys in their switch room (again) and per usual they're telling me it's our fault and that they haven't touched their equipment for months.

So I go round and round with the guy and finally I shut down my customer's site so I can do a D-Channel trace on the PRI. It comes back up and I notice that after every outbound call they send back an error code. So I tell the guy what their error code is and he responds with the usual "our switch doesn't send that error, it must be coming from you." I spend another 30 minutes arguing with him about how it is that I'm getting an error message inbound from them that is somehow coming from me.

I finally find the error on the website for their switch provider, it basically says there is no route in their dialing plan for that number. Since I'd tried dozens of numbers all over the country I tell the guy "listen, you guys backed out your dialing plan for maintenance and forgot to put it back in or screwed it up when you did."

Finally, after another hour of me trying to get this jackoff to do his job he calls his supervisor because it's time for him to go home and God forbid he work any OT just because a customer with 72 phone lines is down. I get the supervisor on the phone and tell him about their route issue, he actually spends the 2 minutes to check and sure enough, they backed out the routes for maintenance and forgot to put them back.

It's like they have training classes on how to deflect.

kepp
02-15-2006, 09:16 AM
and He's all "Well if you don't have it setup that way then that's why it's not working."
"But, sir...that's what they taught me in my official SBC 2-day 'You too can become an expert network troubleshooter' class. I don't know what else to tell you. I'm at the end of the script."

I've had some issues with the DSL support people. You know you're in trouble when they start off by saying, "Is your modem plugged in?"

greg63
02-15-2006, 09:33 AM
Years ago a guy working for me called up SBC to complain that one of our customer's circuits had gone down. After about 30m of working with the guy in the switch room he asks if my guy can hold. He says sure. After about 10 minutes of hold music he hangs up and calls back but gets someone else. He asks for the guy that put him on hold and the new SBC guy replies "He's not here, he went to lunch about 10 minutes ago."

ůSounds about right. They tried to stick me with a $500.00+ phone/internet bill that I knew wasn't right, and my phone was disconnected after being assured it wouldn't be. Only after I called from my parents phone demanding to speak to the CEO did I get results. Not only did I get the amount taken off my account, but I actually got about three months worth of credit. Then when that ran out I switched to Sage.

RedDread
02-15-2006, 09:34 AM

ROFL

greg63
02-15-2006, 09:41 AM
I had another customer who's long distance carrier was one of the second-teir carriers. One day their outbound long distance stopped working, so I have to get on the phone with their carrier. I'm talking to guys in their switch room (again) and per usual they're telling me it's our fault and that they haven't touched their equipment for months.

So I go round and round with the guy and finally I shut down my customer's site so I can do a D-Channel trace on the PRI. It comes back up and I notice that after every outbound call they send back an error code. So I tell the guy what their error code is and he responds with the usual "our switch doesn't send that error, it must be coming from you." I spend another 30 minutes arguing with him about how it is that I'm getting an error message inbound from them that is somehow coming from me.

I finally find the error on the website for their switch provider, it basically says there is no route in their dialing plan for that number. Since I'd tried dozens of numbers all over the country I tell the guy "listen, you guys backed out your dialing plan for maintenance and forgot to put it back in or screwed it up when you did."

Finally, after another hour of me trying to get this jackoff to do his job he calls his supervisor because it's time for him to go home and God forbid he work any OT just because a customer with 72 phone lines is down. I get the supervisor on the phone and tell him about their route issue, he actually spends the 2 minutes to check and sure enough, they backed out the routes for maintenance and forgot to put them back.

It's like they have training classes on how to deflect.

ROFLROFLROFL

Deflection 101

Simplex3
02-15-2006, 10:11 AM
ROFLROFLROFL

Deflection 101
They're no amatuers, they have freaking Ph.D.'s.

greg63
02-15-2006, 12:41 PM
They're no amatuers, they have freaking Ph.D.'s.

ROFL
That is, my friend, no joke.

PastorMikH
02-15-2006, 12:47 PM
SBC calls me at least once a month wanting me to switch over to their DSL service. I have the DSL service at the office and it frequently stalls and has short service interuptions (kinda like the Planet at times 'cept I can't access anywhere on the net). And, about half the time when a phone line is in use, the DSL doesn't work. Until their DSL is as dependable as my cable service, I won't even consider it.

bishop_74
02-15-2006, 12:50 PM
It used to be you could at least except decent support if you were a network admin. I mean hell, SBC support has never been great but at least their business support usually had decent guys manning the phones. Not this time. This monkey was worthless.
I told him the link was down for one of my clients, and he's all like "well I'll try to ping the lan side"
I said "what...? lan side?"
He's like "Yeah, you're ethernet interface"
I'm like "oh.. you have that information?"
He's like "yeah it should be x.x.x.1"
Red flags! At this point I realize he's assuming that the class C he is routing to us is what we are using on the LAN side of the router, and it isn't. Not only that, I'm old school so I don't use the bottom of the subnet for the router, I always use the last usable IP. IE, .254 instead of .1
I'm like "Oh, no we don't have it setup that way. that subneis routed somewhere else internally."
Gah! I can't believe what I'm hearing. It takes me a minute or so of arguing to realize that the guy does in fact believe that it can only be setup the way he described, and he's not hearing anything else.
At that point I just hung up and called back 20 minutes later to get someone less clueless. The client has a redundant link anyway.

Bah, sorry for the tech speak but I'm sure some of you can relate. This isn't the type of crap I want to deal with in the middle of the night when I have the damned flu.

Come on over to Broadwing. We have better prices and I am the manager of the IP group. I will take care of ya!

htismaqe
02-15-2006, 12:51 PM
We're winning alot of business from SBC/AT&T right now.

This is a large part of the reason...