PDA

View Full Version : walmart stocking the morning after pill

QuikSsurfer
02-15-2006, 12:54 AM
link (http://today.reuters.com/investing/financeArticle.aspx?type=bondsNews&storyID=2006-02-14T211714Z_01_N14387586_RTRIDST_0_LIFE-CONTRACEPTION-WALMART.XML)

Mass. says Wal-Mart must stock morning-after pill
Tue Feb 14, 2006 4:18 PM ET

By Kevin McNicholas

BOSTON, Feb 14 (Reuters) - A Massachusetts regulatory board voted on Tuesday to require Wal-Mart stores to stock morning-after contraceptives, two weeks after three women in the state sued Wal-Mart for refusing to fill orders for the pills.

If Wal-Mart <WMT.N> complies, Massachusetts will become the second state after Illinois to require the world's biggest retailer to carry the Plan B contraceptive, which must be taken within 72 hours after sex to prevent pregnancy.

The Massachusetts Board of Registration in Pharmacy said it had sent Wal-Mart lawyers a letter informing them of its unanimous decision.

Wal-Mart has until Thursday to provide written compliance to the board's ruling and Wal-Mart spokesman Dan Fogleman has said the retailer would abide by any directive from the state pharmacy board.

"Massachusetts is the second state in the country which now appears to have succeeded in compelling Wal-Mart to stock emergency contraception," said Samuel Perkins, who represented the three Massachusetts women in their suit against the retailer.

The Massachusetts case comes as some pharmacists in the United States have faced criticism from abortion rights and women's groups for refusing to dispense the emergency contraception on moral or religious grounds. Some anti-abortion and Christian groups say morning-after contraception encourages risky sexual behavior.

"The campaign does not end in Massachusetts," Perkins said at a news conference. "If in fact Wal-Mart thinks over its options and decides that it is not going to change its policy nationally, we are prepared to file suit in other states."

Perkins said he filed a complaint with the state pharmacy board on the same day he filed the lawsuit on behalf of the three women in Suffolk Superior Court that claimed Wal-Mart's failure to stock the pill was a violation of state law. He said that case is still pending.

WAL-MART CITES LOW DEMAND

According to the suit, Wal-Mart has previously said it was corporate policy not to stock emergency contraceptive medication, citing slow sales and low demand.

Fogleman has said the company "chooses not to carry many products for business reasons," giving low demand as one. If customers seek a product that a Wal-Mart pharmacy does not carry, they are referred to another that does, he said.

Perkins said the suit filed by his plaintiffs, who all are involved with women's health or advocacy issues, was based on state pharmacy regulations requiring pharmacies to stock and dispense "commonly prescribed medications in accordance with the usual needs of the community."

Perkins said it was the first lawsuit to compel Wal-Mart to stock emergency contraception.

Wal-Mart has been required to stock morning-after contraception in Illinois since Gov. Rod Blagojevich issued an emergency rule last year requiring druggists whose pharmacies sell contraception to dispense morning-after birth control to women with valid prescriptions.

In January, four pharmacists in Illinois sued drugstore chain Walgreen Co. <WAG.N>, claiming they were wrongly fired for refusing to dispense the pills.

Plan B, made by Barr Pharmaceuticals Inc. <BRL.N>, was approved by the Food and Drug Administration in 1999 as a prescription drug. Since then, the FDA has delayed ruling on whether to grant the drug over-the-counter status. Agency officials have said the drug is safe and effective but cite concerns over how to regulate a restriction based on age.

greg63
02-15-2006, 12:56 AM
Ummm, ok.

QuikSsurfer
02-15-2006, 12:58 AM
Ummm, ok.
?pretty big deal, no?

greg63
02-15-2006, 01:03 AM
?pretty big deal, no?

…Just articulating my disinterest in the story. I do, however, find it just a bit ironic that Wal-Mart is being forced to sell a product that, from what I understand, is supposed to be readily available.

Simplex3
02-15-2006, 01:22 AM
For those of you thinking the govt. doesn't run your life, here you go. They're deciding what products businesses must sell. That's just f**king perfect.

QuikSsurfer
02-15-2006, 01:35 AM
For those of you thinking the govt. doesn't run your life, here you go. They're deciding what products businesses must sell. That's just f**king perfect.

it has been this way a while. people have to already know.

penguinz
02-15-2006, 05:52 AM
My femi-nazi sister-in-law won't shop anywhere that keeps this stuff behind the counter. She thinks it should be on the shelf like aspirin is.

KCChiefsMan
02-15-2006, 05:58 AM
I think it should be mandatory that all stores carry it. Especially wal-mart shoppers (for the most part...not all of course), they don't need to be reproducing

jspchief
02-15-2006, 06:22 AM
For those of you thinking the govt. doesn't run your life, here you go. They're deciding what products businesses must sell. That's just f**king perfect.Yea, I'd much rather let the religious nutjobs dictate what medicines are moral enough for my pharmacy to carry. :rolleyes:

Baby Lee
02-15-2006, 06:27 AM
Yea, I'd much rather let the religious nutjobs dictate what medicines are moral enough for my pharmacy to carry. :rolleyes:
No offense, but if that's your stance, what're you even doing in a Wal-Mart?

JBucc
02-15-2006, 06:29 AM
If they don't want to carry something that's contriversial why should they have to? I didn't sue them because they didn't have any 7.2v nicd battery's anymore. Which I needed for a remote control truck.

jspchief
02-15-2006, 06:31 AM
No offense, but if that's your stance, what're you even doing in a Wal-Mart?Actually, I don't shop WalMart, but it's for less cerebral reasons.

But the idea that the government is going to f*ck things up worse than organized religion is comical to me.

Garcia Bronco
02-15-2006, 06:33 AM
Just another thing the government shouldn't be invlolved in...awesome.

Baby Lee
02-15-2006, 06:35 AM
Actually, I don't shop WalMart, but it's for less cerebral reasons.

But the idea that the government is going to f*ck things up worse than organized religion is comical to me.
Must've missed where organized religion gained the power to levy fines, decline or void licenses and incarcerate people.

Religious groups and groups pressuring for this drug's availability both have the capacity to exert consumer pressure.

Government 'pressure' is something altogether different.

jspchief
02-15-2006, 06:47 AM
Must've missed where organized religion gained the power to levy fines, decline or void licenses and incarcerate people.

Religious groups and groups pressuring for this drug's availability both have the capacity to exert consumer pressure.

Government 'pressure' is something altogether different.I don't have a problem with the government regulating pharmacies. I don't know if they legislate that pharmacies carry any other sort of drug, so at this point I should probably withhold judgement. If you found out that pharmacies were also forced to carry a particular type of diabetes medication, would you be as outraged? ("you" being a general "you" directed at those that think this is the guberment stomping on our right to live free).

Organized religion may not have the power to levy fines, but I shudder to think I might not be able to get a particular medicine in my town, just because bible-beaters determined it was the debil, and exerted pressure on local businesses to not carry it.

I just find it interesting that someone can bitch about the government sticking their noses in but have no problem with a particular religion doing it. I wonder if these same protesters would have a problem if Muslims exerted pressure on businesses to stop carrying things that went against their particular religion. Say for instance, a certain cartoon.

Cochise
02-15-2006, 06:48 AM
Thank you for posting with us, if your final destination is the D.C. forum, remain seated and we'll be taking off in just a few moments.

Dartgod
02-15-2006, 06:50 AM
Perkins said the suit filed by his plaintiffs, who all are involved with women's health or advocacy issues, was based on state pharmacy regulations requiring pharmacies to stock and dispense "commonly prescribed medications in accordance with the usual needs of the community."
I'm guessing these bitches didn't even have a need for the product. They probably just heard that this Walmart didn't carry the pills and targeted them to push their agenda. :rolleyes:

greg63
02-15-2006, 07:14 AM
Thank you for posting with us, if your final destination is the D.C. forum, remain seated and we'll be taking off in just a few moments.

Wow, the mods must not be awake yet; this is still in the lounge. ROFL

stevieray
02-15-2006, 07:34 AM
Since God and Religion always become the adversary, is it fair to say the "other side" has the backing of Satan?

jspchief
02-15-2006, 07:35 AM
Since God and Religion always become the adversary, is it fair to say the "other side" has the backing of Satan?Hasn't that always been the case? Maybe a crusade will set them straight.

stevieray
02-15-2006, 07:38 AM
Hasn't that always been the case? Maybe a crusade will set them straight.

Crusade?

ROFL

Boozer
02-15-2006, 07:39 AM
The next time you post a thread like this in the Lounge, I'm going to force feed antifreeze to your cat.

kepp
02-15-2006, 08:00 AM
I'm guessing these bitches didn't even have a need for the product. They probably just heard that this Walmart didn't carry the pills and targeted them to push their agenda. :rolleyes:
I imagine so. It is massachusetts, after all. I think they have people there who just walk around trying to find someone to sue.

ChiefsFanatic
02-15-2006, 08:03 AM
Yea, I'd much rather let the religious nutjobs dictate what medicines are moral enough for my pharmacy to carry. :rolleyes:

Last night on Boston Legal, a rape victim that was taken to a catholic hospital, unconscious, and then denied the day after pill because of the religious beliefs of the doctor.

She had been raped, and beaten unconscious. Then she became pregnant. She sued the doctor and hospital. [the rapist was caught]

It is a TV show, but it did raise some good points for discussion. Can you imagine having a custody battle with your rapist? Or why should a doctor's religion ever become a factor in your treatment?

ChiefsFanatic
02-15-2006, 08:06 AM
Hasn't that always been the case? Maybe a crusade will set them straight.

In the history of this world, Religion is the leading cause of death.

Simplex3
02-15-2006, 09:22 AM
I think it should be mandatory that all stores carry it. Especially wal-mart shoppers (for the most part...not all of course), they don't need to be reproducing
Hmmm, interresting point. I might be Ok with this if they made it mandatory for all customers of childbirthing age...

Here's an idea: We could let private sector businesses decide for themselves what they do and don't carry! I know it's pretty f**king radical, but stay with me for a minute. See, we let them decide what they want to carry and then the businesses that sell the things people want will thrive while the ones that aren't will die off. It's this really obscure concept called "capitalism". We don't practice it here in this country anymore and since you probably went to a govt. school you didn't read about it, but you should look it up.

Other than you who is talking about letting organized religion do anything?

I just find it interesting that someone can bitch about the government sticking their noses in but have no problem with a particular religion doing it. I wonder if these same protesters would have a problem if Muslims exerted pressure on businesses to stop carrying things that went against their particular religion. Say for instance, a certain cartoon.
The govt. has this unique ability to legally use force to take your rights away. That's exactly why they should keep the f**k out of this and every other fight they possibly can.

Simplex3
02-15-2006, 09:23 AM
Last night on Boston Legal, a rape victim that was taken to a catholic hospital, unconscious, and then denied the day after pill because of the religious beliefs of the doctor.

She had been raped, and beaten unconscious. Then she became pregnant. She sued the doctor and hospital. [the rapist was caught]

It is a TV show, but it did raise some good points for discussion. Can you imagine having a custody battle with your rapist? Or why should a doctor's religion ever become a factor in your treatment?
Yes, because in this country you are helpless to go to another doctor.

Well, we might be after we complete our pussification and go with a national healthcare system, but that's neither here nor there.

Gonzo
02-15-2006, 09:31 AM
Yes, because in this country you are helpless to go to another doctor.

Well, we might be after we complete our pussification and go with a national healthcare system, but that's neither here no there.

Well, If she went to another doctor, it probably would have made for a fairly short show. (Don't you think?)

QuikSsurfer
02-15-2006, 09:37 AM
No offense, but if that's your stance, what're you even doing in a Wal-Mart?

lol

gblowfish
02-15-2006, 09:42 AM
So.... uh,
How bout them Chiefs?

QuikSsurfer
02-15-2006, 09:43 AM
So.... uh,
How bout them Chiefs?

who that talking about beatin them chiefs?

Kerberos
02-15-2006, 10:04 AM
So.... uh,
How bout them Chiefs?

I wasn't aware that any of them needed the DayAfter Pill? :shrug:

:D

Simplex3
02-15-2006, 10:06 AM

McCleon.

Chiefnj
02-15-2006, 10:18 AM
Clack-clack-clack-clack.

The sound of hundreds of form letters objecting to Walmart's sale of the pill being churned out in the basements of religious zealots across the bible belt.

jspchief
02-15-2006, 10:28 AM
Clack-clack-clack-clack.

The sound of hundreds of form letters objecting to K-Mart's sale of the pill being churned out in the basements of religious zealots across the bible belt.Funny you say that. This is pushing my buttons today so much because of something that happened last night.

I received three phone calls within two minutes, the first at 8:53 PM, from Iowa Right to Life. My wife informed the first caller that it was too late to be making such a call. The phone rang almost immediately after, it was the same guy, My wife gave me the phone and I chewed his ass about the no call registry. A minute later, a third call, same number, different person. I proceeded to tear her inside out, and she apologized saying that "we all just volunteer and it was an honest mistake". She ended the call with "god bless you", which had the same effect as if a pro choice caller had told her "good luck with future abortions".

The mental picture you gave me matches what I imagine these idiots looked like last night.

greg63
02-15-2006, 11:30 AM

The new Day After pill for men; guaranteed to change your blood type.