PDA

View Full Version : Quin beat out Self

ArrowheadHawk
02-15-2006, 09:28 AM
Hard to imagine now, but Self was a finalist for the Missouri job seven years ago when Snyder was picked to replace Norm Stewart at Missouri.

"It came down to Quin and myself and they went in a different direction," Self said. "If they hadn't gone that way I wouldn't have had a chance to coach three Elite Eight teams and be around the people I am and ultimately land here. I don't think you'd have a chance to go from there to here ever.

"It couldn't have worked out better for me," Self added. "What's that Garth Brooks song? Some of God's greatest gifts are unanswered prayers? Certainly it worked out great."

http://www.kusports.com/news/mens_basketball/story/117196

cmh6476
02-15-2006, 09:33 AM
hilarious that he would reference that song.

CoMoChief
02-15-2006, 10:01 AM
Appearantly when Sunvold and Co. were apart of that recruiting group that goes around to recruit coaches, Self was a finalist and the majority of that group wanted Self as opposed to Snyder. The AD hired Snyder instead and since then, Sunvold had has a disgrace for the AD and wants no part in selecting a new coach. Nor does he want to be the HC, which some radio shows are saying that he would be a good candidate.

Mr. Kotter
02-15-2006, 10:11 AM
hilarious that he would reference that song.

I'm not a big country/Garth fan, but that song is cool. Great sentiment...

Good for Bill, and KU.

RCJGKU :KU:

patteeu
02-15-2006, 10:28 AM
Appearantly when Sunvold and Co. were apart of that recruiting group that goes around to recruit coaches, Self was a finalist and the majority of that group wanted Self as opposed to Snyder. The AD hired Snyder instead and since then, Sunvold had has a disgrace for the AD and wants no part in selecting a new coach. Nor does he want to be the HC, which some radio shows are saying that he would be a good candidate.

To add a little detail to that, what I heard is that Sunvold was part of a 5 man search committee that narrowed the list to 2 candidates, Quinn and Self. 3 of the committee members wanted Self and 2 wanted Quinn. The two that wanted Quinn were Bill Laurie (MU athletics' biggest booster) and Mike Alden (MU athletic director). Whether Alden wanted Quinn before or after he found out that Quinn was Laurie's preference is unclear, but in any event, the 2 overruled the 3 which led to Sundvold's decision not to be a part of any new coaching search.

ArrowheadHawk
02-15-2006, 10:30 AM
I don't think you'd have a chance to go from there to here ever.
I think this statement is very true

Mr. Kotter
02-15-2006, 10:33 AM
I think this statement is very true

Whoever posted that must be a "genious"

ArrowheadHawk
02-15-2006, 10:42 AM
Whoever posted that must be a "genious"
:thumb:

kepp
02-15-2006, 11:39 AM
To add a little detail to that, what I heard is that Sunvold was part of a 5 man search committee that narrowed the list to 2 candidates, Quinn and Self. 3 of the committee members wanted Self and 2 wanted Quinn. The two that wanted Quinn were Bill Laurie (MU athletics' biggest booster) and Mike Alden (MU athletic director). Whether Alden wanted Quinn before or after he found out that Quinn was Laurie's preference is unclear, but in any event, the 2 overruled the 3 which led to Sundvold's decision not to be a part of any new coaching search.
I'm waiting for the other shoe to fall and have Alden sent packing. Think it'll happen?

Seek
02-15-2006, 11:45 AM
I am not a KU fan, but he pretty much just said, MU isn't a big time school. Going from there, I could never get here. Wow.

Now I see why they didn't hire him 7 years ago. He should have the attitude to make MU a big time basketball school. Not a stepping stool to inherit some other coaches success.

nychief
02-15-2006, 11:49 AM
I'm waiting for the other shoe to fall and have Alden sent packing. Think it'll happen?

I think that ball is rolling - the "missouri to investigate snyder firing" seems to set Alden getting out pretty well. Missouri can fire him for the way he fired Quin - then hire a new AD, or promote one and have that person hire the new basketball coach.

patteeu
02-15-2006, 11:49 AM

Yes, but that's a completely uneducated guess/hope. I'm thinking the fact that there is an "investigation" about the circumstances surrounding Quinn's dismissal is a sign that Alden might be on the chopping block too. Unfortunately Elson Floyd will probably still be around which is a tragedy. I think, of the two, I'd rather see Floyd gone more.

BTW, I think this whole "investigation" thing is ridiculous. Everyone knew Quinn was likely to be fired and he was dealt with fairly (even according to Quinn), so wtf is the big deal? This is a case of sports talkshows needing controversy to drive ratings and a case of MU fans being willing to be outraged by just about anything Alden does at this point.

nychief
02-15-2006, 11:52 AM
I am not a KU fan, but he pretty much just said, MU isn't a big time school. Going from there, I could never get here. Wow.

Now I see why they didn't hire him 7 years ago. He should have the attitude to make MU a big time basketball school. Not a stepping stool to inherit some other coaches success.

I think he is talking about "the road not chosen" not the programs.

patteeu
02-15-2006, 11:52 AM

I don't agree with that interpretation. While I think it's fair to say that KU's basketball program is considered a higher profile program than Mizzou's, I think what Self means is that you don't hire your head coach directly from your most hated rival.

CoMoChief
02-15-2006, 12:05 PM

I think you totally missed out on what he was trying to say. He's saying that if he was coaching at MU, there's no way he would be coaching at KU right now, being that they are rivals could be one argument. I also don't think that any coach could leave MU to go coach at KU. I dont really know of any coach who left one school to be the coach at their main rival in one of the sports most biggest rivalries. Kansas could be argued to be the Mecca of college basketball with Dr. Naismith and Phog Allen leading to coaches like Dean Smith, who coached the greatest basketball player in the history of the game in Michael Jordan. The "family tree" of college basketball starts at Kansas. Bill Self is basically saying that everything happens for a reason and he never would have thought that Roy Williams would have left KU, none of us did. All of us KU fans thought Roy would retire as a Kansas Jayhawk after turning down Dean Smith's offer to become the HC in UNC in 2001, which lead to the hiring of Matt Dougherty. Youre saying that he should have the attitude of "making" MU a big time school so are you saying that MU isn't a big time school?

Brock
02-15-2006, 12:10 PM

:rolleyes:

PastorMikH
02-15-2006, 12:30 PM
I think what Self means is that you don't hire your head coach directly from your most hated rival.

Yep.

PastorMikH
02-15-2006, 12:34 PM

I'm hoping. If B-ball were the only problem, you could blame it on the coach. But the athletics program pretty much accross the board is a problem in my book. 30 years of football tradition mindset is starting to creep into the other sports. The problem has to be above the coaches.

I hope that if they do let Alden go, they get serious about an AD and bring someone that will push for higher standards in all the athletic programs.

nychief
02-15-2006, 12:35 PM
new from the star:
Chancellor also denies knowing about ultimatum to Snyder
By MIKE DeARMOND
The Kansas City Star

Chancellor Brady Deaton today became the third high-ranking University of Missouri official to deny he approved the alleged ultimatum that led to the resignation of Quin Snyder.

“I was surprised to learn of Coach Quin Snyder's resignation that he announced on Feb. 10,” Deaton said in a statement released by the University News Bureau. “I was aware of and supportive of the performance expectations set by the Athletic Department that were noted by Quin in his news conference last night, although I was not aware that any contact was being made with him last week regarding his coaching position at the University.

“As Quin himself said last night, he had been informed that certain performance expectations were to be met during this basketball season; if those expectations were not met, he would be terminated at the end of this season.”

Snyder said Tuesday night he chose to resign last Friday when faced with an ultimatum to either do that by the end of the season or be fired. Snyder also alleged that he was told, by a messenger (Gary Link) from MU athletic director Mike Alden, that the ultimatum had the approval of the MU systems president, the chancellor and an influential member of the Board of Curators.

On Tuesday night, MU systems president Elson Floyd denied he had consented to any ultimatum. Board of Curators member Don Walsworth issued a similar statement later Tuesday night.

Alden has twice since Sunday denied he directed Link, his special assistant, to deliver any such ultimatum to Snyder.

Deaton, in his statement, complimented Snyder for the tenor of many of Snyder’s comments on Tuesday night, made after the Board of Curators and Snyder signed a settlement agreement that will pay Snyder at least $574,000.

“I appreciate that Quin was very gracious last night in his comments about Mizzou and that he said his resignation was the best possible decision for him, the basketball players and the University,” Deaton said. “We have shared good times and tough times with Quin, and I am pleased that a satisfactory settlement with him was reached.”

Snyder called his seven years at Missouri “seven of the best years of my life. I would do it again in a second.”

Deaton’s statement did not address his investigation of the Snyder firing, which included an interview with link, ordered by Floyd.

But already there has been speculation that Missouri might not only be in the market for a new men’s basketball coach, but a new athletic director as well.

Jon Sundvold, a former MU basketball star from Blue Springs and currently a successful Columbia businessman with his own thriving investment capital enterprise, has already been quizzed by the media on his possible interest in the AD’s position.

“I don’t have any comment about it because there is a guy with the job,” Sundvold said. “We’ll leave it like that.”

Yes, Sundvold admitted, he knew his name was out there again. “And it was before,” Sundvold said, who was considered to be a candidate for the athletic director’s job when MU hired Alden.. “The University makes the decision on the guy they have in that position,” Sundvold said. “If Mike’s their guy, and he has been, and he continues to be their guy, then we support that and we look forward to trying to find a new basketball coach.

“I would help on that.”

PastorMikH
02-15-2006, 12:41 PM
Sunvold as AD?

Hmmm, wonder how he'd do. Any thoughts Tiger fans?

Seek
02-15-2006, 03:08 PM
I don't agree with that interpretation. While I think it's fair to say that KU's basketball program is considered a higher profile program than Mizzou's, I think what Self means is that you don't hire your head coach directly from your most hated rival.

I am not on either side of the court, I could care less for KU or MU and I see this as a total slam on MU. I know you don't hire your coach from a hated rival. Self is basically saying he is on top of the world at KU. He is as happy as he could be with a dream job. The path he took lead was the best situation for him. Had he took the MU job, he would never get a chance to be a HC for a top Tier team unless, Duke, UNC or Uconn or some other top tier team opened up. He wouldn't be able to get that top of the tier job at KU because he was stock a Second Tier team, simply because they are rivals. He is saying that he is much happier being the coach of KU than he ever would be if he was at MU instead of Quinn.

ChiefsFanatic
02-15-2006, 03:34 PM
I think you totally missed out on what he was trying to say. He's saying that if he was coaching at MU, there's no way he would be coaching at KU right now, being that they are rivals could be one argument. I also don't think that any coach could leave MU to go coach at KU. I dont really know of any coach who left one school to be the coach at their main rival in one of the sports most biggest rivalries. Kansas could be argued to be the Mecca of college basketball with Dr. Naismith and Phog Allen leading to coaches like Dean Smith, who coached the greatest basketball player in the history of the game in Michael Jordan. The "family tree" of college basketball starts at Kansas. Bill Self is basically saying that everything happens for a reason and he never would have thought that Roy Williams would have left KU, none of us did. All of us KU fans thought Roy would retire as a Kansas Jayhawk after turning down Dean Smith's offer to become the HC in UNC in 2001, which lead to the hiring of Matt Dougherty. Youre saying that he should have the attitude of "making" MU a big time school so are you saying that MU isn't a big time school?

Rick Pitino went from Kentucky to Louisville, but he had a stop in the NBA first.

And you forgot to add Adolph Rupp into your KU coaching tree.

nychief
02-15-2006, 05:22 PM
I would support Sunvold - he has been a success at almost everthing he has done.

patteeu
02-15-2006, 06:03 PM
I am not on either side of the court, I could care less for KU or MU and I see this as a total slam on MU. I know you don't hire your coach from a hated rival. Self is basically saying he is on top of the world at KU. He is as happy as he could be with a dream job. The path he took lead was the best situation for him. Had he took the MU job, he would never get a chance to be a HC for a top Tier team unless, Duke, UNC or Uconn or some other top tier team opened up. He wouldn't be able to get that top of the tier job at KU because he was stock a Second Tier team, simply because they are rivals. He is saying that he is much happier being the coach of KU than he ever would be if he was at MU instead of Quinn.

Then I don't really get the "wow" part of your first post. It's not a slam to say that the MU coaching job doesn't carry the same prestige as KU, Duke, UNC, UCLA, Kentucky and a couple of others carry. It's just reality. It's not a typical stepping stone school either and I don't think you can read Self's comment to suggest it is.

banyon
02-15-2006, 06:19 PM
Once again, :mizzou: f's it up.

If they would've just let him go at the end of the season, then he would've just been another fired coach (as everyone had already assumed he would be) and the national media would've steered completely clear of the story.

The only reason you fire (or discreetly inform him to resign or whatever) Quin now is if you are worried that some other school is going to land your guy (i.e., Majerus, Altman, etc.) first if you don't. So unless they hire someone relatively soon, then this move was retarted.

nychief
02-15-2006, 06:23 PM
Once again, :mizzou: f's it up.

If they would've just let him go at the end of the season, then he would've just been another fired coach (as everyone had already assumed he would be) and the national media would've steered completely clear of the story.

The only reason you fire (or discreetly inform him to resign or whatever) Quin now is if you are worried that some other school is going to land you guy first if you don't. So unless they hire someone relatively soon, then this move was retarted.

that makes no sense.

banyon
02-15-2006, 06:26 PM
that makes no sense.

*edit* Better?

Skip Towne
02-15-2006, 09:01 PM
Yep. Me too.

Skip Towne
02-15-2006, 09:55 PM
Biggest mistake Mizzou's made in 50 years. Although he's a great recruiter, I don't think he could get the quality he's getting to go to MU. But I could be wrong. He sure got them to Illinois. God, what a nightmare that would have been.

Seek
02-16-2006, 08:30 AM
Then I don't really get the "wow" part of your first post. It's not a slam to say that the MU coaching job doesn't carry the same prestige as KU, Duke, UNC, UCLA, Kentucky and a couple of others carry. It's just reality. It's not a typical stepping stone school either and I don't think you can read Self's comment to suggest it is.

I guess it isn't a slam for those outside of MU, but no MU faithful would like to deal with that reality.

I don't think Self is intending to slam MU. It just sounded like, he is saying Thank God I didn't go that route, cause look where I am now. Most MU or any fan would like to think that their coach could put them in the group of top tier teams.

And what is the point of writing that article if it wasn't to rub it in the faces of the MU faithful. Is there any point in even mentioning Self was a candidate, 7 years after it has passed, unless self was a candidate again. Nope. It is a slam on MU.

Archie F. Swin
02-16-2006, 09:32 AM
Quin beat Self off

fixed the thread title

patteeu
02-16-2006, 09:55 AM
I guess it isn't a slam for those outside of MU, but no MU faithful would like to deal with that reality.

I think you underestimate the rationality of the MU faithful. For example, look at this thread. There aren't any MU guys getting pissed off about what Self said. I know it doesn't bother me and I'm faithful to the Tigers.

I don't think Self is intending to slam MU. It just sounded like, he is saying Thank God I didn't go that route, cause look where I am now. Most MU or any fan would like to think that their coach could put them in the group of top tier teams.

And what is the point of writing that article if it wasn't to rub it in the faces of the MU faithful. Is there any point in even mentioning Self was a candidate, 7 years after it has passed, unless self was a candidate again. Nope. It is a slam on MU.

You are misreading the situation. The reason this article was written is because Mike Alden is under fire in Columbia. As part of what I believe is a campaign against him, someone wrote about the story of how Quin was selected over Self for the MU job despite the fact that 3 of the 5 members of the search committee preferred Self. Alden was one of the 2 who favored Quin. That may or may not have been public knowledge before Quin's dismissal (I don't know), but either way, it is being circulated now to damage Alden. With it being in the news, Self was naturally asked about it by the media that follows the KU program.

Sure-Oz
02-16-2006, 10:25 AM
old news but ya that sucks