PDA

View Full Version : In Their Own Words: Herm Edwards

phxchief
02-15-2006, 01:40 PM
http://images.nfl.com/video/homepage/2005/0215-2.ram

Sorry if re-posted.

** And not that this is relevant in this particular thread at all, but is it just me or does it SEEM like Herm Edwards has talked about improving the defense and admitting we have faults there more in 1 month than Vermeil did in 5 years?

Accountability. I prefer a straight "we need to play better", or "we need to play more consistent" than, "we're an ascending defensive team".

SLAG
02-15-2006, 01:42 PM
Even Stevie Wonder can see that we are all offence and no Defence

phxchief
02-15-2006, 01:44 PM
Even Stevie Wonder can see that we are all offence and no Defense

I'm sure Vermeil saw it. He never said it, though.

Defensive players never had a fire lit under their ass when Dick is always defending them and talking them up in press conferences.

Different story with Herm. He's practically called the defense as a whole out.

SLAG
02-15-2006, 01:55 PM

Defensive players never had a fire lit under their ass when Dick is always defending them and talking them up in press conferences.

and he should

Some people will step up..

others will step out

phxchief
02-15-2006, 01:59 PM
Good.

Weed out the weak and develop the strong.

I'd rather have a guy play for his job than for a compliment from his coach.

Halfcan
02-15-2006, 03:10 PM
Its not that some of the players, didn't play hard, they just are not tallented enough. Mcleon rarely dogged it-he is just too short. Hicks plays hard-but is just too slow.

Others, were either hurt or were lazy-like Junior.

I would like to see a complete overhaul, we have hung with these guys long enough. Time for a big change.

SLAG
02-15-2006, 03:23 PM
Its not that some of the players, didn't play hard, they just are not tallented enough. Mcleon rarely dogged it-he is just too short. Hicks plays hard-but is just too slow.

I would like to see a complete overhaul, we have hung with these guys long enough. Time for a big change.

I want to keep Jared Allen, Derrick Johnson,Kawika Mitchell, Dwanye Washington, Pat Surtain, Benny Sapp, - Im iffy on Westly-

The others can go

CHENZ A!
02-15-2006, 03:45 PM
I want to keep Jared Allen, Derrick Johnson,Kawika Mitchell, Dwanye Washington, Pat Surtain, Benny Sapp, - Im iffy on Westly-

The others can go

I agree with your list for the most part, but even though Washington did a good job filling in last yr., I think he is close to retirement. We definetly should re-sign Sapp, and I'm still reluctant to throw away Sims even though he has been a bust to this point he has shown signs of turning the corner.

phxchief
02-15-2006, 03:55 PM
Its not that some of the players, didn't play hard, they just are not tallented enough.

That goes for some (ala Eric Hicks).

But there were numerous players who either (1) played like they were in the school yard, AND/or (2) had no clue what the hell was going on around them.

Our corners and DTs fit the 2nd bill perfectly, whilst our safeties fit both descriptions.

Then again, you could argue our DTs suck. Well, actually, yeah, they flat out suck. And they were out of position too much (DT going the wrong fricken way vs Denver, anyone?).

chiefqueen
02-15-2006, 04:55 PM
Even Stevie Wonder can see that we are all offence and no Defense

Not only could Stevie Wonder see we are all offense, he could spell it too.

dj56dt58
02-15-2006, 05:38 PM

That's what i've been saying about Dexter..he played his ass off imo, he was just too short and was starting to slow down a bit. Say what u want about dexter, but there are people who aren't putting the effort in that i'd rather see kicked out before him.

Fish
02-15-2006, 05:55 PM
That's what i've been saying about Dexter..he played his ass off imo, he was just too short and was starting to slow down a bit. Say what u want about dexter, but there are people who aren't putting the effort in that i'd rather see kicked out before him.

cutting McPasson will save $1.2M against the cap....... It's a no-brainer, get him outa here....

stevieray
02-15-2006, 07:24 PM

Half truth.

DV refused to castigate his players, but did get on their ass.

Chief Roundup
02-15-2006, 08:56 PM
Man some of you guys have to remember we are around 20 mil over the cap as of now. We will have to sign our draft picks and retain our own people that we want to keep.

Rogcop_3121
02-15-2006, 09:48 PM
I agree with your list for the most part, but even though Washington did a good job filling in last yr., I think he is close to retirement. We definetly should re-sign Sapp, and I'm still reluctant to throw away Sims even though he has been a bust to this point he has shown signs of turning the corner.

Thats Wesley, Greg. He is a keeper, imo. I think; Mcleon-Dexter, Warfield-Eric, Saavi-Junior need to go. I do like Knight, Surtain, Wesley, and Woods(when he stays out of trouble). Warfield likes to let his reciever catch the ball and run ten yards with it. Mcleon is his sister. Saavi is huge, and sucks. Has he ever recorded a sack in the NFL?

milkman
02-15-2006, 09:58 PM
Thats Wesley, Greg. He is a keeper, imo. I think; Mcleon-Dexter, Warfield-Eric, Saavi-Junior need to go. I do like Knight, Surtain, Wesley, and Woods(when he stays out of trouble). Warfield likes to let his reciever catch the ball and run ten yards with it. Mcleon is his sister. Saavi is huge, and sucks. Has he ever recorded a sack in the NFL?

I'm glad you aren't making roster decisions.

CHENZ A!
02-15-2006, 10:48 PM

There is no way that all 3 of those safeties will be with us next yr, which is good because I think we could really use a good one. Also, Warfield is not that bad as a #2 CB, and when did Woods get in trouble?

Guru
02-15-2006, 10:51 PM

Vermeil - "Our defense, is our defense."

That was as close to him saying "We suck" as he would ever get.

Rausch
02-15-2006, 11:13 PM
How can you watch that and not be excited about Herm?

phxchief
02-16-2006, 08:56 AM
Half truth.

DV refused to castigate his players, but did get on their ass.

Barely.

He made excuses for them ("we had a DT go the wrong way"), he said they've got room to improve and are improving, but never called them out like it sometimes needs to be done.

Put it this way: I don't think Vermeil once in his 5 years here ever made a defensive player on the team question his position, performance and contribution.

htismaqe
02-16-2006, 10:08 AM
Barely.

He made excuses for them ("we had a DT go the wrong way"), he said they've got room to improve and are improving, but never called them out like it sometimes needs to be done.

Put it this way: I don't think Vermeil once in his 5 years here ever made a defensive player on the team question his position, performance and contribution.

So you were in the locker room and know what he said to the players in private?

ChiefsOne
02-16-2006, 10:55 AM

Did you watch Wesley play this year? He quit on a lot of plays, lazy ass pretty much sucked this year. Oh and his 6 interceptions were all gifts. Woods' age either caught up with him or he got quit too.
Warfield is about 100x better than Wesley, at this point.

phxchief
02-16-2006, 12:02 PM
So you were in the locker room and know what he said to the players in private?

ROFL

Get real. Lets not play the "we don't really know" card. If that's the case, we don't know SHIT about ANYTHING.

Every single belief you have could be the complete opposite of what goes on behind the scenes.

We base all of our opinions on what we KNOW -- what we SEE -- lets not make out Dick Vermeil might be a completely different person in the locker room.

Gav Daddy
02-16-2006, 01:27 PM
i cant wait until his next press conference.

htismaqe
02-16-2006, 01:41 PM
ROFL

Get real. Lets not play the "we don't really know" card. If that's the case, we don't know SHIT about ANYTHING.

Every single belief you have could be the complete opposite of what goes on behind the scenes.

We base all of our opinions on what we KNOW -- what we SEE -- lets not make out Dick Vermeil might be a completely different person in the locker room.

Well at least you're honest.

We don't know shit about anything. That's a fact.

We can pretend that everything that comes out of Vermeil's mouth in front of the media to be gospel, even though there's ample evidence to suggest otherwise.

Or we can acknowledge the fact that what goes on behind closed doors is often VERY different from what is said in public.

phxchief
02-16-2006, 02:48 PM
We don't know shit about anything. That's a fact.

Not quite. We know what we saw. As I already said, i've seen more from Herm in a month than I did from Vermeil in 5 years.

Feel free to speculate about Vermeil's private pep-talks, though.

Or we can acknowledge the fact that what goes on behind closed doors is often VERY different from what is said in public.

Maybe. Maybe not.

Bottom line, Herm isn't afraid to grill his team in public, Vermeil was. I really couldn't give a shit whether Vermeil MIGHT have "been tough" behind closed doors, all I know is what I saw. I can only draw conclusions on that.