PDA

View Full Version : Lower back pain

luv
02-15-2006, 01:49 PM
I have been having a problem with lower back pain recently. I thought maybe I pulled something, but it hasn't gotten better in 6 weeks. I went to the doctor yesterday. He suggested taking 2 Aleve twice a day, and he gave me a printout of some exercises designed to stretch the back. Some of them are easy. Two of them are not so easy. One I can do, but hurts really bad, is to lie on my back with my knees up, straighten one leg against the floor, then lift it up (keeping it straight). I can almost get it perpendicular to the floor, but it hurts. The other is a reverse push up. Sit up with your hands on the floor behind you, and push your pelvis up. I can't even do that one. My goal in one month is to be able to touch my toes without pain. If not, I have to go back and start some tests to see if it is something to do with my kidney. My doctor doesn't think it does. The pain is to the right of my spine, but to the left of my kidney. I forget what he called it. He asked if I had numbness in my right leg. I told him no, but that when the pain is really bad, I can feel it go down my right leg. It stops right before it gets to the back of my knee. Anyway, just sharing my story. I'm going to go try those exercises again.

Dunit35
02-15-2006, 01:54 PM
Doesn't sound good Luv. Good luck buddy.

sedated
02-15-2006, 02:00 PM
quit spending so much time on your back.

Carlota69
02-15-2006, 02:03 PM
How is your bed? Is it comfortable? Is the matress a good one?

I used to have killer back pain and it turned out my bed sucked. I went out and spent the $$ on a temperpedic bed. Lots of cash but oh so worth it. My lower back problems have pretty much dissappeared.

You would be amazed what a difference a good bed can make.

wutamess
02-15-2006, 02:06 PM
They say pain is sometimes the result of trying to over compensate for some other pain.

Maybe it's time to invest in some knee pads.
:thumb:

DeepSouth
02-15-2006, 02:06 PM
is to lie on my back with my knees up, straighten one leg against the floor, then lift it up (keeping it straight).
You're just not used to having your leg(s) straight when you've got your feet in the air.

Mr. Laz
02-15-2006, 02:07 PM
so when you tighten your stomach muscles it hurts your back?

luv
02-15-2006, 02:07 PM

I used to have killer back pain and it turned out my bed sucked. I went out and spent the $$ on a temperpedic bed. Lots of cash but oh so worth it. My lower back problems have pretty much dissappeared.

My bed is really comfy. Of course, it's really old too. Probably is time for a new matress. I'll have to look into that.

luv
02-15-2006, 02:09 PM
so when you tighten your stomach muscles it hurts your back?
Depends on what I'm trying to do. To sit here and tighten my stomach muscles, I'm fine. But when I do the second exercise I mentioned....no way, my back just gives out.

Chiefs Express
02-15-2006, 02:12 PM
My bed is really comfy. Of course, it's really old too. Probably is time for a new matress. I'll have to look into that.

The comfort air mattresses are good for back problems as are some of the higher dollar latex mattresses. We bought a Sealy a couple of years ago and my wife claims to sleep better than she ever has.

If you go looking for a replacement remember that if you are saving money you are also (sometimes) sacrificing quality.

Have you tried a Chiropractor? They are usually very good with spinal alignment. I've had adjustments done from time to time and it works, but I don't buy into all of the stuff about curing the common cold with a pop of the thumb.

Mr. Laz
02-15-2006, 02:12 PM
Depends on what I'm trying to do. To sit here and tighten my stomach muscles, I'm fine. But when I do the second exercise I mentioned....no way, my back just gives out.

imo you need to figure out exactly what hurts and how

you know the basic exercises?

do crunches, single leg lift,double leg lift,side leg lift,superman

you should be able to find a pattern which allows you locate the specific area of pain.

that should give you a good indication about whether it's muscle,bone,stomach,side or back.

then i go see another doctor with that information

Hydrae
02-15-2006, 02:14 PM
It really doesn't sound the same but I used to have lower back issues that were entirely due to stress. It is part of the fight or flight reflex. When you are stressed, your lower back muscles tense to get ready to hold you upright while you run from the stressful situation. Whenever I noticed my back starting to hurt, I learned to slow down, take a deep breath and concentrate on relaxing those muscles. Didn't take long for me to learn these techniques and got to where I did them without thinking about it.

Anway, back pain is no fun. Good luck and hope it is nothing terribly serious.

Simplex3
I know you don't want to hear this, but I've lost about 60lbs now and my back has never felt better. My knees are still f**ked but the holes in the miniscus and all the scar tissue might have something to do with that.

luv
The comfort air mattresses are good for back problems as are some of the higher dollar latex mattresses. We bought a Sealy a couple of years ago and my wife claims to sleep better than she ever has.

If you go looking for a replacement remember that if you are saving money you are also (sometimes) sacrificing quality.

Have you tried a Chiropractor? They are usually very good with spinal alignment. I've had adjustments done from time to time and it works, but I don't buy into all of the stuff about curing the common cold with a pop of the thumb.
I thought about going to a chiropractor, but I wanted to see what my doctor had to say about it first. If it doesn't get any better this month, then I'm going to ask him if he thinks a chiropractor might be able to help.

Kclee
02-15-2006, 02:17 PM
If the pain is going down your leg it's probably one of your disc's. Get a MRI and you will know what's wrong.

luv
02-15-2006, 02:19 PM
I know you don't want to hear this, but I've lost about 60lbs now and my back has never felt better. My knees are still f**ked but the holes in the miniscus and all the scar tissue might have something to do with that.
Been dieting. Started getting stricter on it today. I want to work out, but don't know if that's a good idea with my back.

jspchief
02-15-2006, 02:23 PM
Pain going down your leg?

Sciatic nerve?

Chiefs Express
02-15-2006, 02:24 PM
I thought about going to a chiropractor, but I wanted to see what my doctor had to say about it first. If it doesn't get any better this month, then I'm going to ask him if he thinks a chiropractor might be able to help.

The response you get from your MD will depend on how he views the practice of Chiropracty(sp). Some doctors embrace the alignment others say that manipulating your muscles will bring your back into alignment. I know the longer you back is out of position the more difficult it is to put it back in.

Have you tried a whirlpool or hot tub? Getting your muscles totally relaxed could be beneficial.

Good luck.

Phobia
02-15-2006, 02:30 PM

When I'm overweight, I have a lot of problems I don't have when I'm in quality condition.

I can attribute sleeplessness, back pain, muscle pain, and many other things to fat. Hell, if I were a little lighter last fall I probably wouldn't have a jacked up knee right now.d

kepp
02-15-2006, 02:30 PM
Sounds like what my wife gets sometimes because of a car wreck we were in a few years ago. The pain down your leg is called cyatic (sp?). She had to go through a couple months of physical therapy (honestly, I don't think any of that worked very well). From what I've seen of her back pain, stretching and strengthening your back is the best thing to do. Another stretch that helps her is actually used a lot for pregnant women. Get on all fours and slowly arch your back upwards and then back down. Just imagine a cat that gets really frightened and arches its back up...that's what it should look like. When my wife got to where she could do her stretching without too much pain, we got one of those exercise balls to work her back. She still has pain every once in a while, but its gotten much better.

In a related story, my Dad had back pain that was finally diagnosed as a slight bacterial infection in his lungs. They treated the infection and the back pain went away immediately. But with your cyatic pain, I don't think it would be anything like that.

jspchief
02-15-2006, 02:33 PM
When I'm overweight, I have a lot of problems I don't have when I'm in quality condition.

I can attribute sleeplessness, back pain, muscle pain, and many other things to fat. Wow. I imagine you're pretty miserable right now.

ct
02-15-2006, 02:34 PM
I have been having a problem with lower back pain recently. I thought maybe I pulled something, but it hasn't gotten better in 6 weeks. I went to the doctor yesterday. He suggested taking 2 Aleve twice a day, and he gave me a printout of some exercises designed to stretch the back. Some of them are easy. Two of them are not so easy. One I can do, but hurts really bad, is to lie on my back with my knees up, straighten one leg against the floor, then lift it up (keeping it straight). I can almost get it perpendicular to the floor, but it hurts. The other is a reverse push up. Sit up with your hands on the floor behind you, and push your pelvis up. I can't even do that one. My goal in one month is to be able to touch my toes without pain. If not, I have to go back and start some tests to see if it is something to do with my kidney. My doctor doesn't think it does. The pain is to the right of my spine, but to the left of my kidney. I forget what he called it. He asked if I had numbness in my right leg. I told him no, but that when the pain is really bad, I can feel it go down my right leg. It stops right before it gets to the back of my knee. Anyway, just sharing my story. I'm going to go try those exercises again.

Those 'exercises' are called yoga.

I'm no Dr., but sounds like legitimate disc problems. Chiropractor can get you lined up right again, then do yoga.

Phobia
02-15-2006, 02:39 PM
Wow. I imagine you're pretty miserable right now.
I am, but at least we all know it's Nick Athan's fault. If it weren't for him I'd still be in decent shape.

rdmorrison
02-15-2006, 02:41 PM
Do yourself a favor and go to the Chiro! i used to have the EXACT same pain in my lower back. it was more off to my right side than my left. i couldnt even touch my toes, tie my shoes or pick something up without my back reminding me that it was there. I changed my bed and went to a chiro for about 5 times and I have never felt better.

What do you do for a living? one guy gave me good advece one time. he said i might need to tighten up my stomach and loosen up my hamstrings. good advice. if you sit at a desk all day your muscles tend to shrink in size causing a lot of pull on your lower back. good luck to you.

Braincase
02-15-2006, 02:42 PM

I can attribute sleeplessness, back pain, muscle pain, and many other things to fat. Hell, if I were a little lighter last fall I probably wouldn't have a jacked up knee right now.d

Phil hasn't complained about his back since his breast reduction surgery.

ILikeBigTiddys
02-15-2006, 03:26 PM
Definitely stretch your hamstrings in the morning. Your lower back muscles are connected to your hammys, so when you bend over your hammys will stretch not your back. Also, try getting a couple of heel lifts for your feet or get some boots with good heels or some nike shox. They work for lower back pain. But do go to a chiropractor.

kc rush
02-15-2006, 03:59 PM
I was having a lot of foot, ankle, and knee pain which I attributed to high arches, so I saw a podiatrist. She said that part of my problem was that I was out of alignment so my body was compensating and causing strain on other joints. She suggested that I see a chiropractor prior to being fitted for insoles, otherwise I would be exacerbating the problem.

I am amazed by how much better my (entire) body feels after being aligned. Like Chiefs Express said, I don't believe they can cure colds, but this has made a big difference for me.

You will have pain for the first couple of weeks of visits, but after that you should be in good shape. It also helps to do the stretches/exercises they prescribe, or at least mine prescribed. The exercise strengthens the muscles in the area of the back where I am weakest and it holds the alignment longer.

Good luck to you.

Coach
02-15-2006, 04:01 PM
For future preventions of back-injuries, when picking up an object, don't bend down using your back. Bend down using your knees to pick it up.

Dunit35
02-15-2006, 04:22 PM

I pulled a back muscle in the middle of a nap a few months ago. I live in the dorms and the beds are horrible. Took me three weeks to get rid of the pain.

The Bad Guy
02-15-2006, 04:56 PM
Definitely stretch your hamstrings in the morning. Your lower back muscles are connected to your hammys, so when you bend over your hammys will stretch not your back. Also, try getting a couple of heel lifts for your feet or get some boots with good heels or some nike shox. They work for lower back pain. But do go to a chiropractor.

This is 100% right.

I went to the doctor for a physical and he told me I had the worst flexibility.

I went to PT and they taught me stretching exercises for my lower back. Laying on your back, putting your leg straight up and holding it there with a towel behind your hamstring for 4 sets of 20 seconds makes all the difference in the world with my back.

I could stand to lose about 25 pounds to get down to my usual 215 weight, but the stretching does really help.

Dave Lane
02-15-2006, 05:15 PM

I agree I did exactly the same thing no back pain.

Dave

mcan
02-15-2006, 05:30 PM
There is a LOT of contradictory information out there. I've injured my back severely and here is what I've learned through years of research and a little experimentation on my part. Most of what I'm going to write here, you can take to the bank.

There are SEVERAL different possible causes of back pain. Some of the most common are...

- Muscle soreness and inflammation
- Disc Bulge
- Disc tear/rupture
- Disc Degeneration
- Bone crack

All of the above can cause what you are getting. Your leg pain is only an indication that your sciatic nerve is being disturbed in some way. It's not neccessarily "sciatica." It could be referred pain from an arthritic or structural problem in a joint such as your hip or knee. But for now, we'll assume that it's from your back.

Your spine is a series of vertebre which are protected from each other by discs made of hard, fiborous tissue with a soft "gel-like" core... The Gel is important to the structure of the disc because the gel provides the internal pressure to keep the hard tissue inflated, and that in turn keeps the vertebre correctly spaced apart from each other... Got it? OK.

-The most common type of back pain is usually a muscle pain. Your back muscles are very thin and stringy and are subject to injury. When they get pulled or strained in any way, they can blow up (just like any muscle) and get inflammed. Of course, there are a series of nerves running along and through your spine that can be aggrevated by that inflammation and you'll get a whole mess of symptoms of a more serious type of back pain. Rest and anit-inflammatories along with a series of stretches that will loosen up those muscles help a TON.

-Another type of common back problem that usually happens after some kind of trauma like a fall or a car accident or some kind of sports injury is a BULGED disc. This is simply what is sounds like. The hard tissue of the disc itself has been traumatized and is now sticking out from the bottom of the vertebre. This happens naturally in most people often without pain, but when that bulge hits any one of a number of nerves running down the spine (all part of the large SCIATIC nerve) it can cause severe pain that RADIATES up and down the leg. It can feel anywhere from minor electrical "tings" to exactly like being severely burned on the back of your legs. Even the tiny nerves in the disc itself will sometimes hurt badly. After awhile, however, the tissue rebounds, and as long as you're well hydrated and getting rest, the tissue will go back to normal, like if you smashed your finger in a door, it looks all weird and oblong for awhile, but it eventually heals... Discs don't heal very quickly though because they don't get direct blood flow... All their nutrients come from the BONE MARROW in the core of the vertebre above and below it. The only way to ensure that the disc gets its supply of nutrients that it needs to heal is that you stay WELL HYDRATED! Chiropractic "adjustments" can help to stimulate blood flow around the area, and some say that speeds up the process... But it's a complete and total falsification to say that you are OUT OF ALIGNMENT and that a chiropractor can FIX a disc problem. Discs do not SLIP out of place. They aren't built that way.

-DISC TEAR/RUPTURE. If you had this, you would know it! It's usually from a VERY traumatic fall or accident. What happens is that the disc bulges too far and tears, which makes it DEFLATE and all that gel in the core leaks out and all over the nerves. This feels like acid being poured onto the nerves and in an instant you want to DIE. Any pressure or movement on that area makes it FREAK OUT even more. All the worst stuff from a disc bulge happens at the same time, and then it stays and becomes a chronic problem unless there is some kind of surgical measure taken. If it's left untreated, eventually the gel wears off and if the nerves are still intact (the gel sometimes eats away at them) usually the remaining part of the disc tries to do the entire job by itself... This is a DEGENERATED DISC. It appears "black" on an MRI, and is often referred to as a BLACK DISC. If the nerves in the disc are still alive, the disc itself is very painful because it's being crushed by the downward force of the vertebre on top of it. Eventually those nerves die off and the only real problem is that the two vertebre are essentially grinding against each other, and those back nerves weave in and out of the little holes in the vertebre, and can become "IMPACTED." That impacted nerve can be fairly painful too. Anywhere from minor discomfort to full on "I need surgery right now" kinda pain...

Most of the above have been back pain brought about by injury. But often times back pain just shows up. This is usually from any one or more of a couple of things...

-Muscle tightness and lack of flexability.
There are a miriad of muscles that interact with each other very specific ways. Most of us are not active enough to keep those muscles on thier game. Any number of muscle imbalances are possible to cause excess strain on the lower back, and not all of them deal directly with BACK MUSCLES. In fact, the hamstrings and the psoas muscles are probably the most common muscles to pull on the actual BONES of the lower spine, and can cause some severe discomfort, and even impact nerves. If you have really tight hamstrings, and your hips don't move very well, or if your hip flexors get tired before your abs do when you're doing situps, then you probably need to strengthen and stretch your hamstrings and your psoas muscles. More on this later...

-A True misalignment of your skelatal system.
I'm not a HUGE believer in this, but it obviously happens to some people with major scoliosis, and there are some people that think that the inordinate amount of SITTING that we do as a modern culture has caused our sacrums to sit too far back. Basically, we sit and it pushes our pevis forward and relatively, our sacrum ends up too far back. In theory, this imbalance can cause the hips to fire incorrectly and can cause our weight to shift improperly and consequently cause the issues that I wrote about above...

-A healed but previous injury firing back up because of something else.
Lets say you previously had a bulged disc that "healed." Years later you bend over to pick up a backpack and your back goes berzerk. You may have only pulled a muscle, but you feel that "OLD PAIN." The new problem can aggrevate the old one. It's one of the reasons why back pain is so hard to diagnose and treat.

-Degenerative Disc DISEASE
This is a chronic disorder that most people will get as they age and become less and less active. Although it can also happen to young people who have sedentary lives, or continually stay dehydrated. That gel doesn't have to explode out of the disc. Sometimes it just wears off, and the disc can (over time) start to "deflate" and eventually it becomes a black disc. Often times, this occurs without pain, but not always. Most elderly people have few healthy discs left, but not all them have back pain because of it.

Hope some of this information helps. If you have any questions about your pain please don't hesitate to ask. I'm no doctor, but I've studied this stuff pretty intensely and if I don't have some kind of idea about it, I want to research it anyway... Please ask...

chagrin
02-15-2006, 05:41 PM
swallow

giggitty

Dave Lane
02-15-2006, 07:46 PM

So you're blaming your injury on fat? Actually I think it was a intensive pass rush that broke you down... ROFL

Dave

Buzzsaw
02-15-2006, 08:06 PM
Join a gym with a pool and swim 3-4 times per week. My whole family has had chronic back pain and that seems to be the most effective fix.

Floridafan
02-15-2006, 09:19 PM
Been treating patients like you for 30 years. Here are two sites of my sites to go for information.

http://www.mcaleeschiropractic.com (chiropractic office)

or

http://www.backtoneck.net/ (spinal decompression office)

Should give you enough info if you click on the different pages and read the content.

Good Luck

Skip Towne
02-15-2006, 09:23 PM
I will be amazed if her physician recommends a Chiropractor. If he does, I'd change doctors.

Phobia
02-15-2006, 09:43 PM
So you're blaming your injury on fat? Actually I think it was a intensive pass rush that broke you down... ROFL

Dave

That was after it was already injured. I tried to play on it the next week. Still jacked up.

Skip Towne
02-15-2006, 09:46 PM
That was after it was already injured. I tried to play on it the next week. Still jacked up.
If you can't play through the pain, you should be cut, slacker.

KChiefsQT
02-15-2006, 09:48 PM
SOMA'S. Can you get any? Anytime I have back problems I pop a couple and always takes that pain away. Good luck!!

keg in kc
02-15-2006, 10:26 PM

I can attribute sleeplessness, back pain, muscle pain, and many other things to fat. Hell, if I were a little lighter last fall I probably wouldn't have a jacked up knee right now.dYep.

It's all kind of a circle, too. What you eat leads to how you look and feel which leads back to what you eat. Throw sleep in there somewhere. It's all tied together.

I've found that the best I ever feel is when I'm asleep by 11 or so, drinking lots of water (and no soda), eating more fruits, vegetables and chicken/fish (as opposed to fried/fast food, which I love) and, maybe most importantly, exercising, that after a time, most of the problems I've had, be it knees, back, or even overall stress level, seem to get better.

Boon
02-15-2006, 11:13 PM
Give Eddie Sutton a call.
He's got back pain and a cure.

luv
02-16-2006, 01:03 AM
Thanks for all of the good advice. Here's what I'm going to do...

1. Continue dieting.
2. Take the Aleve as needed for pain.
3. Do the exercises listed on the page three times a day for two weeks.
4. If I feel an improvement, I will continue with that route.
5. If nothing improves, I will go see a chiropractor.
6. Look for a new bed. I need one anyway.

Thanks again. You guys are the best! :thumb:

greg63
02-16-2006, 01:09 AM
My wife has the same problem, Luv, and those stretches along with a heat patch and Aleve are about the only way she can get relief.

kc hopeful
02-16-2006, 06:44 AM
Thanks for all of the good advice. Here's what I'm going to do...

1. Continue dieting.
2. Take the Aleve as needed for pain.
3. Do the exercises listed on the page three times a day for two weeks.
4. If I feel an improvement, I will continue with that route.
5. If nothing improves, I will go see a chiropractor.
6. Look for a new bed. I need one anyway.

Thanks again. You guys are the best! :thumb:

Some extras

No prolonged sitting or standing. Try to avoid lifting >10# (don't know if that's realistic for you). When resting reclining rather than sitting. Really agree with the weight factor (from experience).
Maybe an elastic back support during activity that causes discomfort until better. Heat (tub), massage. Maybe the MRI before the Chiropractor?

MahiMike
02-16-2006, 07:43 AM
Are you overweight? Do you have a history of this? Did you play basketball or something to trigger it?

I have lived with this for 15 years. It runs in the family. But my old man and his mom were fat. I'm not. But if I get about 7 pounds overweight I can tell the difference. Exercises and stretches are best.

But after 6 weeks I'd go to the chiropractor. I'll bet you've got something out of alignment.

NewChief
02-16-2006, 07:48 AM
I haven't read the whole thread, so if this has already been suggested, forgive me.

Try acupuncture. No, I'm not kidding. Lots of people may think it's kooky, New-Age BS, but it's not. I know many people who have had their back pains completely relieved with an acupuncture cure that cost about $70. If it doesn't work, you're not out that much money.

Outside of that try exercise, especially some core strengthening exercises as well as a healthy dose of stretching/yoga.

Good luck!

morphius
02-16-2006, 08:16 AM
If it is your sciatic nerve I would be a bit worried, my Mom hurt hers a few years back and has tried chropracter and a few other things with little to no success.

As someone else sort of hinted at, you may want to yoga. For something like this it may be your best bet.

Chiefs Express
02-16-2006, 08:39 AM
I haven't read the whole thread, so if this has already been suggested, forgive me.

Try acupuncture. No, I'm not kidding. Lots of people may think it's kooky, New-Age BS, but it's not. I know many people who have had their back pains completely relieved with an acupuncture cure that cost about $70. If it doesn't work, you're not out that much money.

Outside of that try exercise, especially some core strengthening exercises as well as a healthy dose of stretching/yoga.

Good luck!

I'd stay away fro the yoga if you are lactose intollerant!ROFL

Calcountry
02-16-2006, 08:44 AM
I know you don't want to hear this, but I've lost about 60lbs now and my back has never felt better. My knees are still f**ked but the holes in the miniscus and all the scar tissue might have something to do with that.yup

Simplex3
02-16-2006, 10:11 AM
SOMA'S. Can you get any? Anytime I have back problems I pop a couple and always takes that pain away. Good luck!!
WTF? Aren't you like 12? How does someone as young as you wind up with back pain?

Simplex3
02-16-2006, 10:15 AM
I do find it strange that people consider a treatment that pre-dates recorded history as "new age". Also, if there were no merits you'd think it would have died off at some point in the last 8000+ years.

penguinz
02-16-2006, 10:54 AM
If you are taking two alieve a day you are going to end up with some serious stomach issues.

luv
02-16-2006, 11:42 AM
If you are taking two alieve a day you are going to end up with some serious stomach issues.
My doctor said that was okay to do for a few weeks. I'm actually not taking them everyday. Only on the days when it gets really bad. I can stand some pain.

Floridafan
02-16-2006, 12:43 PM
My doctor said that was okay to do for a few weeks. I'm actually not taking them everyday. Only on the days when it gets really bad. I can stand some pain.

27,000 people who died were told by their doctors to take Vioxx. They were safe.

"A drug without side effects is not drug at all" quote from past President of Eli Lilly

That's another way of saying no drug can be designed to affect only the organ or condition it was designed to treat.

luv
02-18-2006, 02:35 AM
Icy Hot back patches are absolute heaven!

greg63
02-18-2006, 02:53 AM
Icy Hot back patches are absolute heaven!

My wife thinks so too. :thumb:

Johnson&Johnson
02-18-2006, 03:06 AM
:grouphug:

CrazyHorse
02-18-2006, 04:17 AM
It may be your sacrum(sp?)

Some of those excersizes will do more than stretch the hip and lower back but force the sacrum back into place. After you do these stretches a couple days you may find it feels a little worse.

When you do your stretches you might try to hold it in it's stretched position for 10 seconds. And try to be as relaxed as possible when doing it.

The Aleve is naproxin sodium. You can purchase Naproxin sodium in generic form for less money. Aleve is a brand name. Naproxin sodium is an anti inflamatory. So it can help reduce inflamation that can cause pain. The trick is not to just take it while it hurts. Take it like you would an antibiotic if you had a cold. Every 4-6 hours even if you start to feel better. It will fight the inflamation from coming back when it begins to get better.

I am not a doctor or pro in any way. But have dealt with some of the symptoms you describe. You would do the same thing for tendonitis and things like that. Again, take it like you would medication, not asprin.

The sacrum can go back where you are now if you dont continue to do excersizes even after you feel better. So dont just do it till you feel a little better.

Good luck with it.

A Chiropractor is very good advice.

mcan
02-18-2006, 05:00 AM
If you're having trouble with the backbend stretch, try this as an alternative. I think you'll find (as I did) when you first try this, it'll be one of the tightest muscles you've ever stretched. I really believe that this muscle (the psoas)* is to blame for most chronic lower back problems. Of course, you have to do both sides.

1. Place One Knee On a Chair (one without wheels).
2. Slowly Move your Pelvis Forward. Be Careful Not to Rotate Your Hips. As you Start to Stretch the Hip Flexors.
In This Case the Right Psoas Muscle, the Tendency is to have the Left Hip More Anterior (forward).
3. A Slight Lean Back Position of your Upper Torso will Accentuate the Muscle Stretch.
4. Most of Your Weight Will Be on the Leg You Are Standing on.

*http://summit.stanford.edu/ourwork/PROJECTS/LUCY/lucywebsite/img/CA-655.jpg

crossbow
02-18-2006, 07:29 AM
About 15 years ago I ruptured a disc in my back. So I can honestly say I know what you feel like. I have had back problems ever since. I can tell you from experience that you need to excercise, rest well and try to manage stress. Stress is probably the cause of most of your pain. Manage it and your back problems will be much easier to control.

luv
02-25-2006, 05:19 PM
Okay, I'm to the point that I know it's not a pulled muscle. I've had the pain for two months. Wednesday, I almost felt normal again. Thursday evening, it really started hurting again. It was to the point that untying my shoes was nearly unbearable. Yesterday, I managed to be able to move around (wearing slip on type of shoes). It hurts to sit, it hurts to stand, it hurts to lie down.....

I went to step into the shower and it hurt to try to lift my leg over the edge of the tub. I find myself crying, not because of the pain, but because of what it's doing to me. I'm sick of the pain, and I'm sick of being so limited due to it. I'm just frustrated. I can feel it in my butt and down my right thigh as well. I'm going to make an appointment with my doctor next week to get some x-rays. My insurance should cover that.

greg63
02-26-2006, 12:20 AM
Okay, I'm to the point that I know it's not a pulled muscle. I've had the pain for two months. Wednesday, I almost felt normal again. Thursday evening, it really started hurting again. It was to the point that untying my shoes was nearly unbearable. Yesterday, I managed to be able to move around (wearing slip on type of shoes). It hurts to sit, it hurts to stand, it hurts to lie down.....

I went to step into the shower and it hurt to try to lift my leg over the edge of the tub. I find myself crying, not because of the pain, but because of what it's doing to me. I'm sick of the pain, and I'm sick of being so limited due to it. I'm just frustrated. I can feel it in my butt and down my right thigh as well. I'm going to make an appointment with my doctor next week to get some x-rays. My insurance should cover that.

Sorry to hear it Luv; my wife has experienced what you're going through, and I know I don't have to tell ya that it's a tough situation. I hope your Dr visit yields some positive results. Have you considered a chiropractor?
...Prayin for ya. :)

luv
02-26-2006, 12:27 AM
Sorry to hear it Luv; my wife has experienced what you're going through, and I know I don't have to tell ya that it's a tough situation. I hope your Dr visit yields some positive results. Have you considered a chiropractor?
...Prayin for ya. :)
Yes, I want to go to my doctor for x-rays though. My insurance doesn't cover a chiropractor.

greg63
02-26-2006, 12:35 AM
Yes, I want to go to my doctor for x-rays though. My insurance doesn't cover a chiropractor.

…AAAHH, got it. Well, anyway I do hope you find some real relief soon.

Floridafan
02-26-2006, 10:31 AM

If the transmission fell out of your car would you park it and walk? Or would you find the money to have it fixed? This is your spine and life you are talking about.

I wasted a year of my life in a wheelchair listening to others and my family MD. After my 21st birthday in a wheelchair I decided to try chiropractic and within a month or so I was as right as rain out of the wheel chair and on my way to restored health. I eventually went to school did the 8 1/2 yrs and became a chiropractic physician.

Do yourself a favor quit playing with your health, make it a priority and go see a good chiro. Get a referral from someone who has had great results. If you can't find one I will go to my sources and find you an excellent doctor in your area. Good Luck.

Frosty
02-26-2006, 01:10 PM
If you have ruled out muscular problems or disk issues, there are a couple of other things to look at. One of them is insufficient Vitamin D.

Vitamin D is crucial in the bodies ability to use calcium and magnesium and if you have a shortage, your bones can become spongy and compressible, which causes pain. It's almost impossible to get enough D in the winter and/or if you are sun phobic and use a lot of sunscreen in the spring and summer. The miniscule amount in milk or multivitamins is enough to prevent rickets but that's about it.

http://www.webmd.com/content/article/78/95751.htm

http://www.mja.com.au/public/issues/176_09_060502/ple10065_fm.html

http://www.vitamindcouncil.com/

The other is related, kind of, since it's also a malabsorption issue. Celiac disease is damage to the intestinal walls by gluten (protein) from grains (wheat, rye, barley and oats). Celiac disease can cause the body to not be able to absorb minerals and other nutrients. If you also have GI problems (IBS, diarrhea and/or constipation, excessive gas, bloating, etc), it would definitely something to look into. It can also cause neurological issues such as recurrent migraines and ataxia (dizziness and motor skill degregation)

http://www.celiac.org

http://www.acnr.co.uk/pdfs/volume2issue6/v2i6reviewart2.pdf

I've been studying this lately because my Mom is suffering from the same thing - unexplained back pain that also goes down into the hip. She's been through a ton of tests, excercises, stretching, etc and none of it has helped. She is not overweight either (and never has been), so that's not it. I'm almost positive it is Celiac with her because she also suffers from IBS, but so far she is resistant to the idea because she doesn't want to give up wheat.