PDA

View Full Version : NFL Total Access

jspchief
02-15-2006, 10:36 PM
NFL Total Access (NFL Network) is doing a segment called "Path to the Draft" right now. I'm assuming it will last the next week or two.

Today's segment was about interior O-linemen, and was basically Mike Mayock talking about the top prospects at the position. It was pretty good. He shows some footage from games or the Senior Bowl/senior bowl practice. Touches on positives and negatives.

Anyone that wants to catch the skinny on guards and centers can watch today's reruns and see guys like Spencer (impressive) and Jean-Gilles (fat). They will run repeats late tonight and tommorrow morning, and the segment is in about the last 15-20 minutes of the hour long program.

Tommorrow they are doing D-line. Not sure if it's DE, DT, or both. But it should touch on some guys that KC is interested in. Set your Tivos or mark your calender.

Also, the combine coverage starts in about a week, which is candy for draft geeks like me.

ct
02-16-2006, 09:30 AM
Do not have NFL Network (yet). Would you mind posting a summary of the DLine?

jspchief
02-16-2006, 09:36 AM
Yea, I believe it's on at 6 or 7 pm central. I'll post my impressions either tonight or tommorrow.

FWIW, in the O-line segment they showed a lot of the guards going up against Gabe Watson in practice. One on one, Watson was completely owning all of them.

I don't think there's any question Watson has talent. It still boils down to how much of that effort was fueled by knowing that teams were watching, determining how big a paycheck he was worth.

RedThat
02-16-2006, 01:05 PM
Yea, I believe it's on at 6 or 7 pm central. I'll post my impressions either tonight or tommorrow.

FWIW, in the O-line segment they showed a lot of the guards going up against Gabe Watson in practice. One on one, Watson was completely owning all of them.

I don't think there's any question Watson has talent. It still boils down to how much of that effort was fueled by knowing that teams were watching, determining how big a paycheck he was worth.

I saw those clips. Watson looked like a freak'n monster. He was pushing guards back like crazy. The guy is HUGE.

I think he'll go in the 1st round. Mayok was saying you better get low if you wanna block Gabe Watson.

BigChiefFan
02-16-2006, 01:22 PM
ESPN showed the entire week of Senior Bowl practices leading up to the game in HD. It was pretty enjoyable to watch.

Gabe Watson isn't the only player looking for a big pay day in the draft. They ALL are.

htismaqe
02-16-2006, 01:46 PM
ESPN showed the entire week of Senior Bowl practices leading up to the game in HD. It was pretty enjoyable to watch.

Gabe Watson isn't the only player looking for a big pay day in the draft. They ALL are.

But how many of them have that big pay day as potentially they're sole motivation?

BigChiefFan
02-16-2006, 02:15 PM
Michigan Player Quotes

Defensive Tackle Gabe Watson
Northwestern looking like a different team in the second half...
"As the game started to get more out of reach and confidence started to be a factor, teams start to pass the ball more. You know a team is going to do that you can protect better."

On the holding calls...
"It does not mean that the team can't stop us, but if they are inside and they are moving, they ref won't call it; but if you continue to fight, the ref will see the pulling of the jersey. It does not mean that they cannot stop us, but it says a lot when a team has to hold us."

On the running game...
"We knew if we stopped the running game we could stop their defense. They are 5-0 when they rush more than their opponent and 0-3 when the rush is contained. We knew if we could stop the rush, we could win the game."

Dominate today?
"We are starting to come together as a team. It is sad that it took this long, but we are coming together slowly, but surely."

On the Big Ten championship race...
"We know that we are still in it. Crazy things happen in the Big Ten, there is a lot of big competition and anything can happen. Guys are starting to take practice a lot more serious and we are taking advantage of every practice."

That doesn't sound like a player who is SOLELY motivated by money, like you suggest.

htismaqe
02-16-2006, 02:47 PM
Michigan Player Quotes

Defensive Tackle Gabe Watson
Northwestern looking like a different team in the second half...
"As the game started to get more out of reach and confidence started to be a factor, teams start to pass the ball more. You know a team is going to do that you can protect better."

On the holding calls...
"It does not mean that the team can't stop us, but if they are inside and they are moving, they ref won't call it; but if you continue to fight, the ref will see the pulling of the jersey. It does not mean that they cannot stop us, but it says a lot when a team has to hold us."

On the running game...
"We knew if we stopped the running game we could stop their defense. They are 5-0 when they rush more than their opponent and 0-3 when the rush is contained. We knew if we could stop the rush, we could win the game."

Dominate today?
"We are starting to come together as a team. It is sad that it took this long, but we are coming together slowly, but surely."

On the Big Ten championship race...
"We know that we are still in it. Crazy things happen in the Big Ten, there is a lot of big competition and anything can happen. Guys are starting to take practice a lot more serious and we are taking advantage of every practice."

That doesn't sound like a player who is SOLELY motivated by money, like you suggest.

Honestly, those quotes don't sound like anything. They're completely out of context and have absolutely NOTHING to do with the question at hand.

If Watson had zero problems with motivation, it wouldn't be mentioned in every scouting report on the guy. Plain and simple.

BigChiefFan
02-16-2006, 03:24 PM
Honestly, those quotes don't sound like anything. They're completely out of context and have absolutely NOTHING to do with the question at hand.

If Watson had zero problems with motivation, it wouldn't be mentioned in every scouting report on the guy. Plain and simple.
You said he is SOLELY motivated by money. I showed quotes where he showed concerns for the team improving. By definition that contradicts the word solely.

Cherryontop
02-16-2006, 06:30 PM
The guy has been so inconsistent his career and could be a huge disapointment...DONT FALL IN LOVE with Senior bowl week...REMEMBER SIMS...how cant u..

Anyways..Mangold owned Watson....got no where and Mangold is much smaller the Gabe.Maybe the Guards arent that good..ever think of that??Ucan get by on size in College..but not in the pros people.

Cherryontop
02-16-2006, 06:35 PM
U guys did see that part right??

Motivation has been a problem with him..otherwise if hes soooo good..hed have better college numbers and a "defenite "top pick....

So let me get this straight??he plays better against pro prospects{senior bowl practices}but worse against worse guards and centers?

Ofcourse not againt Mangold who owned him every which way!

Cherryontop
02-16-2006, 06:39 PM
"Mayok was saying you better get low if you wanna block Gabe Watson."

Really....what were they saying about Sims a few years back??

I guess Mangold got low enough..lemme ask u this..when we all watch the draft..DOESNT every first rounder look great in their highlites from College??

U people fall in love with anyone..i could sell u guys a knive set the way u fall for a guy,lol

htismaqe
02-16-2006, 06:44 PM
Looks like B_Ambuehl changed his name.

Thanks for reminding us that we're all idiots...

htismaqe
02-16-2006, 06:46 PM
You said he is SOLELY motivated by money. I showed quotes where he showed concerns for the team improving. By definition that contradicts the word solely.

I said he that money was POTENTIALLY his sole motivation, particularly for his work at the Senior Bowl.

Last time I checked, college players don't legally get paid, so quoting anything from his college days is wholly irrelevant.

Miles
02-16-2006, 08:06 PM
U people fall in love with anyone..i could sell u guys a knive set the way u fall for a guy,lol

Like for instance Nick Mangold.

Cherryontop
02-16-2006, 08:26 PM
yeah..kinda like mangold..u get my point,lol

jspchief
02-16-2006, 08:38 PM
I actually came away from tonight's segment liking Bunkley a bit more. It soynds like his biggest weakness is technique based, which is something that NFL coaches have a fair chance at correcting.

I also liked what I saw of John McCargo but as some scouting reports have mentioned, he may have benefitted from playing next to Mario Williams.

I also hadn't heard about Wroten and the marijuana thing until tonight. He was never really on my list, but he sure as hell isn't now.

htismaqe
02-16-2006, 08:41 PM
I actually came away from tonight's segment liking Bunkley a bit more. It soynds like his biggest weakness is technique based, which is something that NFL coaches have a fair chance at correcting.

I also liked what I saw of John McCargo but as some scouting reports have mentioned, he may have benefitted from playing next to Mario Williams.

I also hadn't heard about Wroten and the marijuana thing until tonight. He was never really on my list, but he sure as hell isn't now.

My biggest concern about Bunkley was his size. He played most of last season at about 285. He was at 300 at the Senior Bowl.

He's a big motor guy, he really reminds me alot of Darnell Dockett when he came out...

Mr. Laz
02-16-2006, 09:13 PM
One on one, Watson was completely owning all of them.
he wasn't owning Giles

giles had the power to hold up against watson

Cherryontop
02-16-2006, 10:04 PM
yep..i forgot about Giles....he and Mangold had their way with Watson

I try not to pay to much attention to pre draft stuff cause theres soooo much hype about a lot of players,that wont always translate in the pros..i try and dont get exited about propects anymore...although i might offer an opinion or 2.

Mr. Laz
02-16-2006, 10:10 PM
Mayock just did/ranked Defensive tackles

1. Haloti Ngata jr. 6-5 340lbs
can play 3-4 or 4-3 but sometimes can wear down

dominate and quick ... won't last 12 picks in draft

2. gabe watson sr. 6'3" 335lb
mountain of a man ... dominate during senior bowl but underachieved during senior season.(even benched by coach during last season)

"if you can convince yourself that you can get him to play on every down then he is a 1st round pick"

3. brodrick bunkley sr. 6-2 300lb

tremendous athlete .. can also play NT or DT(like ngata)

" ... needs to be coached up on how to use his hands ... tremendous natural talent and ability ... a 1st round pick."

4. orien harris sr. 6-3 302lb

"along the lines of Gabe Watson ... he is a pro bowler IF you can get him to play on every down. however he hasn't done that in college."

"... if you're up for a coaching challenge he's a 1st round pick"

5. john mcCargo jr. 6'2" 300lbs

"a 1 gap penetrator ... up the field ... tremendous quickness, great motor ... don't have to worry about him working on every down"

closed with "doing linebackers next ... best linebacker crop he's seen in years"

royr17
02-17-2006, 03:22 AM
what i would love to know is, where the hell is Rodrique Wright ????

Miles
02-17-2006, 04:03 AM

His stock has seemed to have dropped over the last month or so and he never really lived up to his potential in college. He was fairly mediocre overall this season for UT and has some serious questions about his motivation and work ethic. I always thought he had a lot of natural ability when watching UT games but he will be a big boom or bust pick in the draft.

If anyone was left off it was Wroten, who I think is a better prospect than harris and mcCargo.

jspchief
02-17-2006, 07:58 AM
If anyone was left off it was Wroten, who I think is a better prospect than harris and mcCargo.Wroten got busted for pot (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=2281616)about a month ago. It looks like he was dealing.

As far as I'm concerned, any moron that is dealing drugs when he's 6 months away from becoming a millionaire is a moron I don't want on my team.

Mecca
02-17-2006, 08:04 AM
This is the same as every year, most all DT's have questions about thier work ethic and motors.

I think Bunkley can be a Tommie Harris type of player so if the eventual goal is to be a cover 2 defense then he should probably be our pick.

Looking at the list and the amount of DT's and where guys are being listed. Someone is gonna get a DT in the 2nd-3rd round that ends up being a very good player.

Chiefnj
02-17-2006, 08:39 AM
Wroten got busted for pot (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=2281616)about a month ago. It looks like he was dealing.

As far as I'm concerned, any moron that is dealing drugs when he's 6 months away from becoming a millionaire is a moron I don't want on my team.

Charges were dropped earlier this week.

"Fourth Judicial District Attorney Jerry Jones announced Wednesday that he has declined to pursue charges against LSU All-American football player Claude Wroten Jr.

"Charges are being declined for legal reasons," Jones said.

Jones did not specify details, saying only "a decline speaks for itself."

However, Jeff Guerriero, Wroten's attorney, said both the stop and the search in which one officer questioned Wroten while another looked in the vehicle were "questionable." According to Guerriero, Wroten, who had dropped off friends immediately before the stop, did not own the vehicle he was driving.

Shortly before midnight on Jan. 4, police officers stopped Wroten on U.S. 165 for speeding. Police Chief Barry Bonner told The (Monroe) News-Star at the time of the arrest that Wroten had about 23 grams of marijuana in a bag and an additional baggie with 1.55 grams of marijuana. Wroten also had about $4,000 in cash in his possession.

The arrest report states that the officer "observed in the rear cargo area, in plain view, a plastic bag" of marijuana, which was in the back seat inside of a tennis shoe. Wroten told officers that the money was a loan from his financial adviser for professional football training.

A certified letter sent to Guerriero from Wroten's financial adviser Michael Rowan indicates that he gave Wroten $5,000 on Dec. 31, 2005, "until he is approved for a line of credit.""

Chiefnj
02-17-2006, 08:53 AM
Was there any talk about Kyle Williams and Jonathan Lewis last night? From what I've read they are both late 2nd - 3rd round type guys who play 100% all the time. I was wondering if their was any expert analysis on them.

RedThat
02-17-2006, 09:14 AM
Motivation has been a problem with him..otherwise if hes soooo good..hed have better college numbers and a "defenite "top pick....

Motivation was a problem with a lot of DT's. Sam Adams was a classic example of that coming out of college. Look at him now? He's solid.

In fact, many DT's shared that very same problem. So it's common.
I think Gabe Watson has potential to be a very good player. Yeah, he has been questioned about his work ethic, but, a lot of players have flaws. Which players don't? We can't ask him to be perfect. Thats what coaches are for.

The good news is, Watson can be a GOOD DT. He has potential, and if he can play to what he's capable of, you can sure bet he's exactly what the Chiefs need. A big guy in the middle, that can occupy space, and create havoc in the backlfield. As Chief fans, we haven't sniffed anything close to that since the Dan Saleamua days.

Chiefnj
02-17-2006, 09:20 AM
Motivation was a problem with a lot of DT's. Sam Adams was a classic example of that coming out of college. Look at him now? He's solid.

In fact, many DT's shared that very same problem. So it's common.
I think Gabe Watson has potential to be a very good player. Yeah, he has been questioned about his work ethic, but, a lot of players have flaws. Which players don't? We can't ask him to be perfect. Thats what coaches are for.

The good news is, Watson can be a GOOD DT. He has potential, and if he can play to what he's capable of, you can sure bet he's exactly what the Chiefs need. A big guy in the middle, that can occupy space, and create havoc in the backlfield. As Chief fans, we haven't sniffed anything close to that since the Dan Saleamua days.

Motivation is sometimes a problem with DTs. But, how many of the guys had problems so severe that they were benched their senior year because of it?

htismaqe
02-17-2006, 09:24 AM

He has the same motivation questions as others, but doesn't have the talent they do. His stock has gone way down.

htismaqe
02-17-2006, 09:24 AM
Mayock just did/ranked Defensive tackles

1. Haloti Ngata jr. 6-5 340lbs
can play 3-4 or 4-3 but sometimes can wear down

dominate and quick ... won't last 12 picks in draft

2. gabe watson sr. 6'3" 335lb
mountain of a man ... dominate during senior bowl but underachieved during senior season.(even benched by coach during last season)

"if you can convince yourself that you can get him to play on every down then he is a 1st round pick"

3. brodrick bunkley sr. 6-2 300lb

tremendous athlete .. can also play NT or DT(like ngata)

" ... needs to be coached up on how to use his hands ... tremendous natural talent and ability ... a 1st round pick."

4. orien harris sr. 6-3 302lb

"along the lines of Gabe Watson ... he is a pro bowler IF you can get him to play on every down. however he hasn't done that in college."

"... if you're up for a coaching challenge he's a 1st round pick"

5. john mcCargo jr. 6'2" 300lbs

"a 1 gap penetrator ... up the field ... tremendous quickness, great motor ... don't have to worry about him working on every down"

closed with "doing linebackers next ... best linebacker crop he's seen in years"

His Watson and Bunkley takes are 100% dead-on IMO.

RedThat
02-17-2006, 09:38 AM
Motivation is sometimes a problem with DTs. But, how many of the guys had problems so severe that they were benched their senior year because of it?

I've never heard of any with problems that severe. That will affect his draft status no doubt.

jspchief
02-17-2006, 11:02 AM
Charges were dropped earlier this week.
Sounds like they were dropped on a technicality. Not because he was innocent. In the very least, he was still in posession of pot.

It's going to affect where he goes in the draft. And I'm still not a fan of someone that's willing to risk a professional career for smoking dope.

Chiefnj
02-17-2006, 11:12 AM
Sounds like they were dropped on a technicality. Not because he was innocent. In the very least, he was still in posession of pot.

It's going to affect where he goes in the draft. And I'm still not a fan of someone that's willing to risk a professional career for smoking dope.

Prosecutors generally don't like to drop drug charges, particularly against someone with a name like a potential 1st or 2nd round draft pick.

There is also no evidence that he smokes dope.

The arrest could actually be a big plus for any team that signs him. Last year Castillo agreed to terms where he would voluntarily test and bonus money would be refunded if he came out positive. You generally can't get a 1st round pick to sign something with conditions like that. Perhaps Wroten would sign a similar contract and give a team extra protection against a contingency that they couldn't have with otherwise obtained.

jspchief
02-17-2006, 11:38 AM
There is also no evidence that he smokes dope.

When asked if he had anything illegal in the car, Bonner said Wroten admitted having marijuana for personal consumption. Officers found one bag inside the car in plain view and discovered another tucked in his shoe.

Yea, other than possesion and an admission. :rolleyes:

It sounds like they are dropping charges because the stop and search were questionable. Not because he's innocent. The initial charge of "intent to distribute" appears baseless because Wroten has a legit source for the cash, but he still had the dope on him.

And Castillo isn't comparable. He was using steroids... something that would likely make him a better football player. Not smoking pot, something that would make him a lazy piece of shit.

It's very possible that some team will strike gold on him. Warren Sapp certainly would be a good example. But I have no interest in this clown, and this thing is going to affect where he gets drafted.

Mr. Laz
02-17-2006, 11:41 AM
The arrest could actually be a big plus for any team that signs him. Last year Castillo agreed to terms where he would voluntarily test and bonus money would be refunded if he came out positive. You generally can't get a 1st round pick to sign something with conditions like that. Perhaps Wroten would sign a similar contract and give a team extra protection against a contingency that they couldn't have with otherwise obtained.
he mentioned wroten during the segment as well

said that wroten and castillo are 2 completely different situations.

"castillo is a good guy who made a mistake by taking steroids for an injury"

"wroten is a guy who got caught driving 75 mph in a 55 zone with pounds and pounds of pot in the care ....... with the intent to sell. you have to wonder about his intelligence"

Mr. Laz
02-17-2006, 11:44 AM
i didn't see much from Wright while watching Texas ... never impressed me.

i imagine he's a 3rd pick now

phxchief
02-17-2006, 11:56 AM
i didn't see much from Wright while watching Texas ... never impressed me.

Watch the Rose Bowl?

Wright took first-round caliber OG Deuce Latui to school.

Chiefnj
02-17-2006, 12:05 PM
When asked if he had anything illegal in the car, Bonner said Wroten admitted having marijuana for personal consumption. Officers found one bag inside the car in plain view and discovered another tucked in his shoe.

You are assuming what Bonner said is true. Obviously the prosecutor's office disagreed that the bag stuffed inside a sneaker in the back of a car was in plain view as Bonner originally said it was. Exactly who is being truthful in this situation is up for debate.

In any event, if he slides because of this he's good value for late 2nd or third round especially with a testing clause.

jspchief
02-17-2006, 12:12 PM
You are assuming what Bonner said is true. Obviously the prosecutor's office disagreed that the bag stuffed inside a sneaker in the back of a car was in plain view as Bonner originally said it was. Exactly who is being truthful in this situation is up for debate.

In any event, if he slides because of this he's good value for late 2nd or third round especially with a testing clause.Yea, I tend to believe policemen over pot smokers. I'm funny that way.

I'm sure he'll do fine Mrs. Wroten.

Chiefnj
02-17-2006, 12:19 PM
[QUOTE=jspchief]Yea, I tend to believe policemen over pot smokers. I'm funny that way.

QUOTE]

Funny like a clown?? Unfortunately, the prosecutors office couldn't rely on the guy you would like to tend to believe.

jspchief
02-17-2006, 12:24 PM
Funny like a clown?? Unfortunately, the prosecutors office couldn't rely on the guy you would like to tend to believe.And there's a pretty large gap between "incompetent" and "crooked."

I'm sure the pot belonged to Michael Irvin's buddy.

htismaqe
02-17-2006, 12:26 PM
Watch the Rose Bowl?

He didn't even play but about 20 snaps.

Surely, you're mistaking him for Okam or Orakpo, who played MUCH better than Wright did...

Mr. Laz
02-17-2006, 12:37 PM
Watch the Rose Bowl?

yes, i watched it

i didn't specifically watch wright ... but i don't remember seeing him "school" anyone. I seem recall more pressure from the edges by Texas then from the middle.

:shrug:

but like i said... i didn't specifically focus on wright.

Frosty
02-17-2006, 01:17 PM
"wroten is a guy who got caught driving 75 mph in a 55 zone with pounds and pounds of pot in the care ....... with the intent to sell. you have to wonder about his intelligence"

I caught that last night too. Since when is 24.55 grams "pounds and pounds"? :shrug: For the metrically challenged, like Mayock, 24.55 grams is about .85 ounces or .054 pounds - hardly "pounds and pounds".

Mayock is a tool. :shake:

Mr. Laz
02-17-2006, 02:27 PM
I caught that last night too. Since when is 24.55 grams "pounds and pounds"? :shrug: For the metrically challenged, like Mayock, 24.55 grams is about .85 ounces or .054 pounds - hardly "pounds and pounds".

Mayock is a tool. :shake:

:hmmm: thanks for the correction ... i wonder how Mayock could get that specific fact so wrong?

dam, that's a huge screw up.

that makes the "intent to sell" much more difficult to believe as well.

htismaqe
02-17-2006, 02:58 PM
Interesting...24.55 grams is just under an ounce.

The might have been for just personal use...

Chiefnj
02-17-2006, 03:07 PM
And there's a pretty large gap between "incompetent" and "crooked."

I'm sure the pot belonged to Michael Irvin's buddy.

It seems like your keystone cops need to go back to the academy for a refresher course on search and seizure.

"Sterlington busts go bad
DA drops charges against Wroten, others over questionable tactics
By Elizabeth Fitch
efitch@thenewsstar.com

In one of many dismissals stemming from arrests made by the Sterlington Police Department, 4th Judicial District Attorney Jerry Jones announced Wednesday that he has declined to pursue charges against Louisiana State University All-American football player Claude Wroten Jr.

"Charges are being declined for legal reasons," Jones said.

Jones did not specify details, saying only "a decline speaks for itself."

However, Jeff Guerriero, Wroten's attorney, said both the stop and the search in which one officer questioned Wroten while another looked in the vehicle were "questionable." Guerriero said Wroten, who had dropped off friends immediately before the stop, did not own the vehicle he was driving.

Shortly before midnight on Jan. 4, police officers stopped Wroten on U.S. 165 for speeding. Police Chief Barry Bonner told The News-Star at the time of the arrest that Wroten had about 23 grams of marijuana in a bag and an additional baggie with 1.55 grams of marijuana. Wroten also had about $4,000 in cash in his possession.

The arrest report states that the officer "observed in the rear cargo area, in plain view, a plastic bag" of marijuana, which was in the back seat inside of a tennis shoe. Wroten told officers that the money was a loan from his financial adviser for professional football training.

A certified letter sent to Guerriero from Wroten's financial adviser Michael Rowan indicates that he gave Wroten $5,000 on Dec. 31, 2005, "until he is approved for a line of credit."

Wroten's stop is indicative of a number of problematic arrests executed in recent months by Sterlington police officers. Jones said his office has reviewed 77 cases and declined about 68 as of late Wednesday afternoon. Jones also said more cases are under consideration."

The article goes on to discuss other stops but you get the point.

Mr. Laz
02-17-2006, 03:26 PM
Interesting...24.55 grams is just under an ounce.

The might have been for just personal use...

heck ya ... or just a "party" with friends

Possession of marijuana is a misdemeanor under California Health and Safety Code Section 11357. Possession of one ounce (28.5 gms) or less is punishable by a maximum $100 fine; jail time is possible for larger amounts or for hashish, which is an optional felony ("wobbler"). Possession offenders can avoid conviction by making a preguilty plea under Penal Code 1000, in which case their charges are dismissed upon successful completion of a diversion program. Possession offenses are expunged from the record after two years under Health and Safety Code Sections 11361.5 and 11361.7.

Sale, transportation or distribution of marijuana is a felony under Health and Safety Code Sections 11360. Transporting or giving away (furnishing) one ounce or less is a misdemeanor punishable by a maximum $100 fine.