PDA

View Full Version : I Make Myself Be Known

TheBurryMan
02-16-2006, 12:42 AM
The Burry Man is here to bring good luck to the Chiefs this season.

The Burry Man has a special place in Scottish tradition and folklore. Every August, for centuries, the Burry Man has walked the streets of South Queensferry, Scotland, a village near Edinburgh. The residents believe I will bring luck to the town if they give me whisky and money.

There are many theories about how I got started, what the ceremony means, why it continues. Basically, though, The Burry Man walks, collecting whisky and money...The fact that I carry on a tradition thousands of years old; that I am a symbol of rebirth, regeneration and fertility that predates just about all contemporary religions (which it is); that I am covered in burrs from head to foot ankle, actually for long cold and sometimes wet hours perhaps to epitomize a "scapegoat" or "resurrection" mythology, and is uncomfortable at best and in great pain at worst (which I am most definitely am); is secondary to the fact that The Burry Man simply is. I bring you all good luck. Give me whiskey. Or give me money. And the Chiefs will win.

Halfcan
02-16-2006, 12:47 AM
WTF?

CosmicPal
02-16-2006, 12:56 AM
Doesn't look like somebody that would bring a whole lot of good luck

http://www.burryman.com/images/burry1930.gif

Phobia
02-16-2006, 12:56 AM
I'm the stripper Santa Claus. When strippers sit on my lap, pop goes the pleaser.

greg63
02-16-2006, 12:57 AM

The Burry Man has a special place in Scottish tradition and folklore. Every August, for centuries, the Burry Man has walked the streets of South Queensferry, Scotland, a village near Edinburgh. The residents believe I will bring luck to the town if they give me whisky and money.

There are many theories about how I got started, what the ceremony means, why it continues. Basically, though, The Burry Man walks, collecting whisky and money...The fact that I carry on a tradition thousands of years old; that I am a symbol of rebirth, regeneration and fertility that predates just about all contemporary religions (which it is); that I am covered in burrs from head to foot ankle, actually for long cold and sometimes wet hours perhaps to epitomize a "scapegoat" or "resurrection" mythology, and is uncomfortable at best and in great pain at worst (which I am most definitely am); is secondary to the fact that The Burry Man simply is. I bring you all good luck. Give me whiskey. Or give me money. And the Chiefs will win.

I'll run right out and do that.:rolleyes:

CosmicPal
02-16-2006, 12:57 AM
I'm the stripper Santa Claus. When strippers sit on my lap, pop goes the pleaser.

We now understand why you're no longer welcome in strip clubs.

Dick Bull
02-16-2006, 01:04 AM

So um, that, uh lifts them up about a quarter of an inch.....

I guess that could scare the hell out of a midget that's scared of heights.

Ultra Peanut
02-16-2006, 01:09 AM
it does

el borracho
02-16-2006, 01:26 AM
You willing, foolish, virgin king!

banyon
02-16-2006, 01:54 AM

There are many theories about how I got started, what the ceremony means, why it continues. Basically, though, The Burry Man walks, collecting whisky and money....

Is that what the Scottish welfare system is like? I'd been wondering.

chefsos
02-16-2006, 02:05 AM
Kinda looks like Halloween to me, except for the fact that there's only one trick-or-treater. I've read that this tradition is real, albeit a little weird.

Oh, and Paypal won't send this bottle of whiskey. I guess we're both out of luck. :)

Mr. Kotter
02-16-2006, 06:21 AM

Hell, WELCOME....dude! I'll take anything we can get..... :thumb:

I gotta tell you though, you are a little late....we already have ENDelt doing this:

...Basically, though, The Burry Man walks, collecting whisky and money...

BigChiefFan
02-16-2006, 07:05 AM
Here's my vitual offering...

Braincase
02-16-2006, 07:26 AM
2 questions...

Are you Lawrence Tynes?

Isn't "Queensferry" redundant?