PDA

View Full Version : Looking to buy a Gun - suggestions...

Vegas_Dave
02-16-2006, 11:16 PM
My best friend is in the Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Academy. Was over at his house this evening and he showed me his new Glock 40 calibur handgun, which will be the gun he will carry in his new profession.

Granted, I have never owned a gun before and don't shoot a ton... but I do enjoy it the few chances that I have.

I was just in awe of this handgun.

I have been thinking of getting a gun for several years now. So my question is mainly this... is there another handgun that I should consider or have I already sighted in on the best one?

One thing that is nice is that as a member of LVMPD, he can take 1 person at a time to the police shooting range... which happens to be about 5 minutes away from my house.

Anyways... tell me what you think...

Ebolapox
02-16-2006, 11:25 PM
at one point in my past, I had a Browning 9mm--it was a good gun, served its purpose

-EB-...ditched the evidence ;)

Rain Man
02-16-2006, 11:31 PM
An 88-mm Flak gun. Not only is it great for anti-air, but you can also point it straight ahead and it's a powerful anti-tank weapon as well.

http://www.anselm.edu/academic/history/hdubrulle/WarandRevolution/graphics/Paintings%202004/Air%20War%2088mm%20Flak.jpg http://www.anselm.edu/academic/history/hdubrulle/WarandRevolution/graphics/Paintings%202004/Air%20War%20Battery%20of%2088mm%20Flak.jpg

BIG K
02-16-2006, 11:34 PM
My best friend is in the Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Academy. Was over at his house this evening and he showed me his new Glock 40 calibur handgun, which will be the gun he will carry in his new profession.

Granted, I have never owned a gun before and don't shoot a ton... but I do enjoy it the few chances that I have.

I have been thinking of getting a gun for several years now. So my question is mainly this... is there another handgun that I should consider or have I already sighted in on the best one?

One thing that is nice is that as a member of LVMPD, he can take 1 person at a time to the police shooting range... which happens to be about 5 minutes away from my house.

Depends on your demands for the gun. Sport or defense?

Rausch
02-16-2006, 11:42 PM
I just keep a machete under my couch (near the door.)

Easily trumps a BB bat and unless the intruder is carrying a ****ing RPG a clean strike to the neck beats a bullet wound every time...

PastorMikH
02-16-2006, 11:47 PM
One gun is never enough.

As for what kind to recommend, I agree with Big K, it really depends on what you want to do (and also how much you have to spend).

BIG K
02-16-2006, 11:49 PM
I just keep a machete under my couch (near the door.)

Easily trumps a BB bat and unless the intruder is carrying a ****ing RPG a clean strike to the neck beats a bullet wound every time...

That cracks me up! :) When I was single and without child, I had a recliner next to my door. On the left side was a compartment for storing I guess, remotes...I stored a Long Colt .45 just in case....You never know when those pizza delivery guys are gonna go postal I guess... :rolleyes:

Rausch
02-16-2006, 11:53 PM
That cracks me up! :) When I was single and without child, I had a recliner next to my door. On the left side was a compartment for storing I guess, remotes...I stored a Long Colt .45 just in case....You never know when those pizza delivery guys are gonna go postal I guess... :rolleyes:

Getcha'.

I'm no navy seal and I don't hunt so for me it's just about having something to protect myself with.

Smed1065
02-17-2006, 12:00 AM
For home protection the Glock 40 is hard to beat then!

QuikSsurfer
02-17-2006, 12:01 AM

good decision, on getting a gun. i can't recommend anything for you because i don't know what u want one for?? but i keep a bfg9000 between my mattresses http://doomworld.com/pageofdoom/graphics/Bfg.gif

BIG K
02-17-2006, 12:24 AM
Getcha'.

I'm no navy seal and I don't hunt so for me it's just about having something to protect myself with.

I am not sure if you own a gun or not by your post. If you don't currently own a weapon and don't want to spend alot of time learning about one, then I suggest a 12 gauge shotgun. It really dosen't matter the make for your purpose.

Does that help? If not, you can p.m. me, I have been a range instructor for quite some time...I will do my best to hook you up with what you need..

Simplex3
02-17-2006, 12:40 AM
I am not sure if you own a gun or not by your post. If you don't currently own a weapon and don't want to spend alot of time learning about one, then I suggest a 12 gauge shotgun. It really dosen't matter the make for your purpose.

Does that help? If not, you can p.m. me, I have been a range instructor for quite some time...I will do my best to hook you up with what you need..
Note to self: Don't get into a gun fight with Special K. Err, BIG K.

Smed1065
02-17-2006, 12:42 AM
Yes most effective with less training, just ask the swabbies-- they use em for a reason.

alanm
02-17-2006, 12:50 AM
at one point in my past, I had a Browning 9mm--it was a good gun, served its purpose

-EB-...ditched the evidence ;)
A damn good weapon the Browning. :thumb:

BIG K
02-17-2006, 01:18 AM
Note to self: Don't get into a gun fight with Special K. Err, BIG K.

Don't worry too much bro. I once scored a 492 out of 500 two years ago. Not a good day for me..... Really, there is a chance you could have gotten me THEN.... :)

Kerberos
02-17-2006, 06:07 AM

I agree

I keep a Remington 1100 right beside my bed. Nothing like a 12gauge semi-auto. Perfect for home protection. :thumb:

On a lighter note I do keep a 9mm Baretta 92 FS close at hand in my TV room so I have an option no matter what part of the house I am in.

For a night out I have a Colt Mustang PocketLite .380 auto bout the size of a sterling auto. Great fit in the ankle holster. ;)

MOhillbilly
02-17-2006, 06:59 AM
id go w/ a glock in a 9mm caliber easy to shoot & lots of ammo options. form,function and balance.

jspchief
02-17-2006, 07:03 AM
Handguns...ain't good for nothing, but put a man 6 feet in a hole.

MOhillbilly
02-17-2006, 07:05 AM
personaly, i carry a mossberg 500 mariner.

I gotta figure every time i pull the trigger im gettin 9X the the bang as the next guy w/ an auto pistol.

pistolgrip and 18.5in barrel w/ the tatical sling.

Kerberos
02-17-2006, 07:06 AM

If Da'Mudder Fudder stupid enough to be in my house uninvited he will find a new home in just such a hole! :D

personaly, i carry a mossberg 500 mariner.

I gotta figure every time i pull the trigger im gettin 9X the the bang as the next guy w/ an auto pistol.

You Da'Man!

:thumb:

Radar Chief
02-17-2006, 07:33 AM
Personal opinion, but if I were you I’d pick up a .22 to learn to shoot before invest’n big money in a hand cannon.

MOhillbilly
02-17-2006, 07:36 AM
Personal opinion, but if I were you I’d pick up a .22 to learn to shoot before invest’n big money in a hand cannon.

since most gunfights are from 21 ft or less its a crap shoot.

Brock
02-17-2006, 07:37 AM
45 acp, tried and true.

dilligaf
02-17-2006, 07:40 AM
If you are just looking for defense, go with a revolver. Alot less complicated and they dont jam.
My carry gun is a small frame 5 shot 357 Magnum. Small, very concelable(?) and packs a big punch.

Demonpenz
02-17-2006, 07:42 AM
in protecting my home there is only one name that counts. scanlon

Kerberos
02-17-2006, 07:45 AM
45 acp, tried and true.

Yea but if you target is more than 25 ft away you have to aim 3 ft. above thier head for compensation for the drop. :D

45 ACP is OLD and heavy. close range its hard to beat the stopping power but if some mofo is on the run then he/she is quickly out of range IMO.

Demonpenz
02-17-2006, 07:46 AM
i always find the need to throw up lead as quickly as possible to get myself out of trouble

dtebbe
02-17-2006, 08:07 AM
IMHO, this (http://ruger.com/Firearms/FAProdView?model=10107&return=Y) should be everyone's first handgun. Inexpensive, accurate, and perfect to learn the basics on. To this day it's still my favorite pistol to just go shoot. And you can shoot all day with $10 of ammo.

Once you know what you are doing, go to a shop that has a range, and try out thier rentals. Chances are you will find a model that allows you to not even think wile putting it in the 9. For me, that's a Springfield XD, but I haven't brought myself to drop the $$$ on one of those yet.

I'm not a big fan of glock, never been sold on the idea of a handgun without a real safety, and the handgrip angle is all wrong to me.

DT

MOhillbilly
02-17-2006, 08:13 AM
For a small caliber that is accurate has an auto decock and is an absolute straight shooter.

cz-70 .32 acp 8 rnd clip DA

i used to stand on my back porch and tackdrive one after the other into the clothesline pole 40 ft away.

cheap-you can get one for under 150$. and a box of 50 ammo for 7-8$.
com-block ppk knock off.

For a revolver id go w/ the ruger gp100 w/ 4in. in .357 mag, reliable easy to use and accurate w/ magnum force. You can also shoot .38 for target practice,and damn near any HOT load for personal defense.

sedated
02-17-2006, 08:16 AM
I prefer a bow and arrow

Hog Farmer
02-17-2006, 08:17 AM
My brother and I own many guns between us, probably 120 or so. You won't find anything sweeter than a KIMBER .45 Custom II. It's modeled after the 1911 colt which is IMO the best handgun style. The .45 ACP is fairly inexpensive to shoot, about $20 for 100 rounds at walmart. I keep that in my truck with 8 spare clips and a Riot shotgun just in case. My bedside gun is a P94 Ruger .40 caliber. The .40 Caliber has more penetration than a .45 but that Kimber is just sweet. You'll pay about $700-$800 for the Kimber but you will love it. My brother hit a Jack Rabbit at 83 yards back in October so don't let anybody tell you they are for up close shootin only. I'm all the time shooting blackbirds and Grackels out of trees around my house with it. I would stay away from the Glock, they were the hot item at one time, but they really don't have much of a reputation.

Brock
02-17-2006, 08:19 AM
I keep that in my truck with 8 spare clips and a Riot shotgun just in case.

In case of what? A swine uprising?

MOhillbilly
02-17-2006, 08:20 AM
My brother and I own many guns between us, probably 120 or so. You won't find anything sweeter than a KIMBER .45 Custom II. It's modeled after the 1911 colt which is IMO the best handgun style. The .45 ACP is fairly inexpensive to shoot, about $20 for 100 rounds at walmart. I keep that in my truck with 8 spare clips and a Riot shotgun just in case. My bedside gun is a P94 Ruger .40 caliber. The .40 Caliber has more penetration than a .45 but that Kimber is just sweet. You'll pay about $700-$800 for the Kimber but you will love it. My brother hit a Jack Rabbit at 83 yards back in October so don't let anybody tell you they are for up close shootin only. I'm all the time shooting blackbirds and Grackels out of trees around my house with it. I would stay away from the Glock, they were the hot item at one time, but they really don't have much of a reputation.

those kimbers are super nice no doubt but ive found that the Ruger P-series is difficult to eject the mag in a fluid motion because of the crazy big grip for the double stacked mag.

Hog Farmer
02-17-2006, 08:27 AM
In case of what? A swine uprising?

"CANS"

MexiCANS
AfriCANS
Puerto RiCANS

Dunit35
02-17-2006, 08:34 AM
I usually just put a picture of Chuck Norris croutched and ready to attack on all my windows and front/back door. Never had a break in or anything.

Brock
02-17-2006, 08:34 AM
"CANS"

MexiCANS
AfriCANS
Puerto RiCANS

Sorry I asked.

sedated
02-17-2006, 08:40 AM
I usually just put a picture of Chuck Norris croutched and ready to attack on all my windows and front/back door. Never had a break in or anything.

Rich Scanlon, Vin Deisel and Jared Allen work well too

Bwana
02-17-2006, 08:44 AM
It depends what you plan on doing with it Dave.

kepp
02-17-2006, 08:51 AM
My dad owns a Glock .40 and I've shot it a few times. He replaced his 9mm with it because of the added stopping power.

For me, I went and got a Remington 870 Express - a basic, entry-level 12 gauge - for home defense. I got a shorter barrel so my wife could handle it. Taught her how to load & fire. With that gun, she can just shoot from the hip and hit what she means to. My neighbor is a SWAT officer and he said, besides a dog barking, the best deterent for a thief is the sound of a 12 gauge pump action.

Radar Chief
02-17-2006, 09:14 AM
45 acp,

This is the only handgun I own.

tried and true.

And this is exactly why I own it.

Radar Chief
02-17-2006, 09:17 AM
since most gunfights are from 21 ft or less its a crap shoot.

:shrug: Shoot’n a handgun isn’t exactly intuitive. It takes practice and a .22 is a cheap easy way to shoot all day long.
That’s all I’m say’n.

MOhillbilly
02-17-2006, 09:19 AM
:shrug: Shoot’n a handgun isn’t exactly intuitive. It takes practice and a .22 is a cheap easy way to shoot all day long.
That’s all I’m say’n.

i was trying to make a pun.

i suck.

Fish
02-17-2006, 09:41 AM

OK.... this just is not a good way to start. Your first gun should never be a handgun. Being a farm boy, I've owned guns my entire life. I've seen fellas just like you that see a buddy's gun and decide it looks cool, and all of a sudden they "need" one.

I'm not saying you are incapable at all.... I've just seen this exact thing go down, and somebody ends up shooting a hole in the cab of their truck... or worse......

Take the time to learn respect for a starter firearm before buying a Glock 40 just because you're in awe.......

PastorMikH
02-17-2006, 09:57 AM

Yeah, whatever. I've used them for hunting a lot. Killed a deer with my .357 magnum and when I lived in Kansas I used a TC Contender with either a 10" 222 or 10" 22 hornet barrel to kill lots of prairie dogs - my dad has used his TC to hunt deer and send lots of prairie dogs to heaven too. I've also had lots of fun at the local range shooting targerts, cans, and such. To say that pistols are only good for shooting people is a bit narrow-minded. If it DID come down to me having to defend myself against someone in range of a pistol, I'd just as soon have that 12 gauge shotgun Big K mentioned.

PastorMikH
02-17-2006, 10:00 AM
Don't worry too much bro. I once scored a 492 out of 500 two years ago. Not a good day for me..... Really, there is a chance you could have gotten me THEN.... :)

What kind of shooting were you doing?

alanm
02-17-2006, 10:00 AM
in protecting my home there is only one name that counts. scanlon
Listen to Demon. He's got all you guys whipped. :thumb: :D

jspchief
02-17-2006, 10:06 AM
Yeah, whatever. I've used them for hunting a lot. Killed a deer with my .357 magnum and when I lived in Kansas I used a TC Contender with either a 10" 222 or 10" 22 hornet barrel to kill lots of prairie dogs - my dad has used his TC to hunt deer and send lots of prairie dogs to heaven too. I've also had lots of fun at the local range shooting targerts, cans, and such. To say that pistols are only good for shooting people is a bit narrow-minded. If it DID come down to me having to defend myself against someone in range of a pistol, I'd just as soon have that 12 gauge shotgun Big K mentioned.Relax Francis, it's a Skynrd song lyric.

Iowanian
02-17-2006, 10:26 AM
My bedside pistol is a Rueger P89 .40 cal.

If you're new to shooting, especially handguns, and just want something that you can shoot with your friend, and use for home protection.....I think you should start out with a mid caliber revolver.

While Glocks are nice, they're expensive, and not necessarily a pistol for a beginner.

A revolver, if the hammer is cocked, its going to shoot....if not, you're safe for the most part.

Whatever you do, if you're new to it, become very familiar with gun safety, control of your weapon, and be comfortable with it, before you think of shooting alone, or keeping it nearby for protection.

If you have Kids...be very, very aware of where it is, and how you control it.

John_Wayne
02-17-2006, 10:36 AM
May I suggest and AK-47 or some other assault rifle? I'm shopping around for a good assualt weapon too.

Radar Chief
02-17-2006, 10:36 AM
Yeah, whatever. I've used them for hunting a lot. Killed a deer with my .357 magnum and when I lived in Kansas I used a TC Contender with either a 10" 222 or 10" 22 hornet barrel to kill lots of prairie dogs - my dad has used his TC to hunt deer and send lots of prairie dogs to heaven too. I've also had lots of fun at the local range shooting targerts, cans, and such. To say that pistols are only good for shooting people is a bit narrow-minded. If it DID come down to me having to defend myself against someone in range of a pistol, I'd just as soon have that 12 gauge shotgun Big K mentioned.

Contenders are awesome. Dad had one with barrels for .223 and a couple other calibers along with one for a .45-70. :eek: Talk ‘bout a “hand cannon”.

Bwana
02-17-2006, 10:53 AM
May I suggest and AK-47 or some other assault rifle? I'm shopping around for a good assualt weapon too.

How much are you willing to spend? :)

Bowser
02-17-2006, 11:06 AM
I'm interested in this subject, as well. For myself and for my mom, who lives by herself. I have been considering getting her a .22, much like dtebbe suggested. And for myself, I heard a Glock .10 is a good handgun to get started shooting with. It's light and fairly accurate, from what I've been told.

MOhillbilly
02-17-2006, 11:08 AM
How much are you willing to spend? :)

what do you think about Cetmes?

Immaculate
02-17-2006, 11:40 AM

Good gun, Not an AK but a good gun.

Better have your ear plugs close.

Immaculate
02-17-2006, 11:41 AM
Glocks are great. You can beat 'em, But not for the price.

MOhillbilly
02-17-2006, 11:44 AM
Good gun, Not an AK but a good gun.

Better have your ear plugs close.
my buddy hadone seemed like it was always ****ing up. Dont know if it was because he was jackin w/ it(he knows his stuff). But for the price vs. a com-block a.k. what do you think performance wise?
Ive shot both BTW. looking for some outside perspective.
I like the .308 caliber.

ENDelt260
02-17-2006, 11:47 AM
"CANS"

MexiCANS
AfriCANS
Puerto RiCANS
Consider this your warning.

Inspector
02-17-2006, 11:55 AM
I'm partial to the giant soaker cannons.

Those babies will squirt over 20 feet.

Hog Farmer
02-17-2006, 12:04 PM
Consider this your warning.

OOPS! MyBad. Feel free to delete that post.

Duck Dog
02-17-2006, 12:11 PM
I'm interested in this subject, as well. For myself and for my mom, who lives by herself. I have been considering getting her a .22, much like dtebbe suggested. And for myself, I heard a Glock .10 is a good handgun to get started shooting with. It's light and fairly accurate, from what I've been told.

Check out the Lady Smith, .32 cal. Tiny hand grip, easy to operate, and has a great big boom. My dad bought my mom one a while back. She shoots it pretty well. I like them because they fit in my front pocket and are easily concealed.

Immaculate
02-17-2006, 12:13 PM
my buddy hadone seemed like it was always ****ing up. Dont know if it was because he was jackin w/ it(he knows his stuff). But for the price vs. a com-block a.k. what do you think performance wise?
Ive shot both BTW. looking for some outside perspective.
I like the .308 caliber.

AK>* IMO.

Plus I can get $3-$400 AKs all day long.

MahiMike
02-17-2006, 12:13 PM
I'd consult with Dick Cheney and see what his weapon of choice is.

Duck Dog
02-17-2006, 12:17 PM

AK's are too difficult to conceal. What you need is to learn how to re-load your own shotgun shells. I like to re-load shotgun shells with piano wire. Make sure the gun you use does not have choke tubes, or a rifled barrel. I prefer the older 870's (mainly because they are a dime a dozen). My favorite is sawed off up to the the pump, and has a pistol grip. I can easily fire it and drive at the same time.

Radar Chief
02-17-2006, 12:18 PM
AK>* IMO.

Really? :hmmm: ‘Course I’m with MO, I’d like the .308 calliber.

Duck Dog
02-17-2006, 12:19 PM
I'd consult with Dick Cheney and see what his weapon of choice is.

You're hilarious. Did you think of this joke all by yourself or did you steal some of Bill Mahers material?

Radar Chief
02-17-2006, 12:19 PM
AK's are too difficult to conceal. What you need is to learn how to re-load your own shotgun shells. I like to re-load shotgun shells with piano wire. Make sure the gun you use does not have choke tubes, or a rifled barrel. I prefer the older 870's (mainly because they are a dime a dozen). My favorite is sawed off up to the the pump, and has a pistol grip. I can easily fire it and drive at the same time.

:LOL: ROFL :clap:

Bwana
02-17-2006, 12:59 PM

I have never messed with one Mo, but it looks like they have come down in price and you can doll one up nicely.

http://www.frontlinearmory.com/gunsmithing/cetme/cetme1.htm

Radar Chief
02-17-2006, 01:01 PM
I have never messed with one Mo, but it looks like they have come down in price and you can doll one up nicely.

http://www.frontlinearmory.com/gunsmithing/cetme/cetme1.htm

What is a ballpark price on one of those?

Bwana
02-17-2006, 01:04 PM
What is a ballpark price on one of those?

From what I can tell, around $350. Like I said, I don't own any of those, just AK's SKS's and Tec 9's in the what I'll call the "non sporting gun list."

MOhillbilly
02-17-2006, 01:44 PM
AK>* IMO.

you can get a re-man Cetme polymerstock(last i seen) for between 325-50 range.

MOhillbilly
02-17-2006, 01:47 PM
the cetme is a H&K knockoff made in spain.
If anyone has info,from personal exp. id like to know.

Radar Chief
02-17-2006, 01:49 PM
From what I can tell, around $350. Like I said, I don't own any of those, just AK's SKS's and Tec 9's in the what I'll call the "non sporting gun list."

you can get a re-man Cetme polymerstock(last i seen) for between 325-50 range.

:hmmm: Now I'm interested.

MOhillbilly
02-17-2006, 01:51 PM
:hmmm: Now I'm interested.
i would look deep into it,seems like my budies had alot of problems w/ the reciever mec.lots of ****in little part that craped out. But like i said im looking for anothe opinion on the reliability only cause it shot like very well,felt good and was accurate.

Edit- i didnt like the selector switch though,very difficult to go from hot2cold.

bogie
02-17-2006, 02:10 PM
If you're buying just for protection, I recommend a dog. If you insist on a gun for protection, a shotgun would be my first choice. If you're set on a pistol, I'd agree with others and start with an .22 to familiarize yourself with handling a firearm. I'm a big fan of TC. You can change out the barrel for different calibers. I have a 44 mag with a 14" barrel that has dropped many a deer. However the TC is a single shot so probably not what you're looking for.

MOhillbilly
02-17-2006, 02:13 PM
the problem w/ a dog is that % wise they arent as capable manstoppers as a sidearm.

Bwana
02-17-2006, 02:15 PM
I have a buddy who stocked up in the Clinton years, on pre-ban and a lot of the simi-auto guns. When Bush got in, the prices started dropping again after the ban was lifted. He was waiting it out until some other tree hugging anti gun freak gets in and another ban comes about to make a hell of a profit on his guns. He should have sold before George got in there. :) It also seems he has hit some hard times and may be dumping about half his inventory (15-20 assault guns with all the big clips and the extras) in the near future. I told him to give me a call because I would make him a cash offer on a package deal on the entire inventory. I WILL hang on to most of them until they go up again.

MOhillbilly
02-17-2006, 02:18 PM
Bwana if Billary gets in it would be like having a claim on the entire klodike.

Bwana
02-17-2006, 02:22 PM
Bwana if Billary gets in it would be like having a claim on the entire klodike.
ROFL Yeah no shit! It would help ease the pain of such a development that's for sure.

bogie
02-17-2006, 02:26 PM
the problem w/ a dog is that % wise they arent as capable manstoppers as a sidearm.

True. I have a problem with loaded guns in the house. I've always feared I would have a dream that someone was breaking in or something and I would go for my gun. Plus I have a 7 year old kid.

dilligaf
02-17-2006, 02:45 PM
And they sh1t all over the place. :banghead:

mike_b_284
02-17-2006, 02:46 PM
I have

Marlin .22 (got it when I was 8, I can hit anything I can see with that thing)
Benelli Nova 12GA
Springfield armory champion .45 auto (1911 style w/ 4" barrel)
Steven's Bolt action .410 (great rabbit/squirrel gun)
Chezc Mauser bolt-action (BOOM)

on the list

.223 mini/AR
Berretta or browning hi-power 9mm
.357 5" barrel revolver
High-quality .308 rifle
SKS
Semi-auto shotgun, 16 or 20 GA haven't picked make

I think the best thing (as far as handguns go) for a good mix of accuracy, power, price, concelability, and saftey is a revolver with a 5" barrel. If you don't plan to take your gun with you buy a pistolgrip Maverick (a cheap mossberg 835) and chop the barrel to 19" this is better for home protection w/ less chance of ricochet or killing your neighbor on accident. Plus shotgun shells are cheap and it is fun to shoot. You can buy a tactical stock that folds for accurate shooting (hunting, clays, etc) or shoot from the hip w/ better turn radius (home defense.)

MOhillbilly
02-17-2006, 02:46 PM
True. I have a problem with loaded guns in the house. I've always feared I would have a dream that someone was breaking in or something and I would go for my gun. Plus I have a 7 year old kid.

sounds like your problem is more between the ears than w/ the weapon/s.

MOhillbilly
02-17-2006, 02:47 PM
And they sh1t all over the place. :banghead:

not if you know what your doing.

bogie
02-17-2006, 02:55 PM
sounds like your problem is more between the ears than w/ the weapon/s.

I have no problem with weapons, I own a bunch. However, every gun I own is for hunting not for home protection. One of many rules growing up regarding guns was never have a loaded gun in the house. I guess the rule has stuck with me. All my guns are locked up in a cabinet.

MOhillbilly
02-17-2006, 02:58 PM
I have no problem with weapons, I own a bunch. However, every gun I own is for hunting not for home protection. One of many rules growing up regarding guns was never have a loaded gun in the house. I guess the rule has stuck with me. All my guns are locked up in a cabinet.

i have no problem w/ locking firearms up, but your "dreams" comment is what i was refering to.

bogie
02-17-2006, 03:06 PM
i have no problem w/ locking firearms up, but your "dreams" comment is what i was refering to.

You are correct, that's between my ears. But it's true. I have a brother that used to sleep walk. Once, he got out of bed, climbed out his bedroom window holding his blanket, walked around to the front door and rang the doorbell. When my Mother opened the door, he walked past her and went straight back to bed without saying a word. I figure if he could do that in his sleep, I could grab my gun in my sleep.

mike_b_284
02-17-2006, 03:24 PM
You are correct, that's between my ears. But it's true. I have a brother that used to sleep walk. Once, he got out of bed, climbed out his bedroom window holding his blanket, walked around to the front door and rang the doorbell. When my Mother opened the door, he walked past her and went straight back to bed without saying a word. I figure if he could do that in his sleep, I could grab my gun in my sleep.

Twice I have woke up out of bed w/ a loaded chambered gun in my hands. Once I dremt that someone was in my house and hid in my closet, I woke up sweeping the house with my 12GA and my finger on the saftey.
THe other time I woke up in the hallway of my apartment naked with my .45 drawn, hammer cocked. I don't know what made me get up that time but there wasn't anyone there. My girlfriend said I said I heard something but couldn't remember it.

MOhillbilly
02-17-2006, 03:31 PM
slept w/ a loaded magnum in my hand for years.

dont ask.

PastorMikH
02-17-2006, 03:33 PM
Contenders are awesome. Dad had one with barrels for .223 and a couple other calibers along with one for a .45-70. :eek: Talk ‘bout a “hand cannon”.

I'm not sure I'd want to touch of a 45-70 in my contender. 'Course dad has a marlin in the 45-70 and I'm used to his loads too, which aren't exactly for the weak of heart.

Best group I ever shot was with a 10 inch 222 on a contender frame. 5 shots @ 100 yards between 3/8 and 1/2 inch group. What I really like is that you buy the frame, then the barrels are interchangable. Currently, I have a gun stock and a 21" 222 barrel on my contender frame. Makes for a SWEET little carbine and feels like you are carrying a pellet gun.

bogie
02-17-2006, 03:36 PM
Twice I have woke up out of bed w/ a loaded chambered gun in my hands. Once I dremt that someone was in my house and hid in my closet, I woke up sweeping the house with my 12GA and my finger on the saftey.
THe other time I woke up in the hallway of my apartment naked with my .45 drawn, hammer cocked. I don't know what made me get up that time but there wasn't anyone there. My girlfriend said I said I heard something but couldn't remember it.

Shivers just went up my spine.

MOhillbilly
02-17-2006, 03:36 PM
I'm not sure I'd want to touch of a 45-70 in my contender. 'Course dad has a marlin in the 45-70 and I'm used to his loads too, which aren't exactly for the weak of heart.

mike i fired one w/ some super hot ammo,as long as you have the extended pad on the buttplate its not bad.

Bwana
02-17-2006, 03:38 PM
slept w/ a loaded magnum in my hand for years.

dont ask.

Heh! I like it, kind of like a hard Teddy Bear without the fuzz. :) Oh yeah, and it's easier to kill someone with it, also a bonus upgrade from a regular Teddy Bear.

'Hamas' Jenkins
02-17-2006, 03:39 PM
You should get a Sig Sauer 226, 228, or 229. They are great guns (I believe the 229 is used by the SS), very reliable, and one of the models can be chambered in .357 if you really want some stopping power in a semi auto (but don't want to drop 1500 on a DE that weighs 84 pounds).

MOhillbilly
02-17-2006, 03:41 PM
Heh! I like it, kind of like a hard Teddy Bear without the fuzz. :) Oh yeah, and it's easier to kill someone with it, also a bonus upgrade from a regular Teddy Bear.

some security for sure.

PastorMikH
02-17-2006, 03:41 PM
mike i fired one w/ some super hot ammo,as long as you have the extended pad on the buttplate its not bad.

And a maybe a motorcycle helmet on too.:D

Like I said, dad loads his ammo one way - full throttle. Had a guy at the range one day shooting a 45-70 but was using black poweder. He'd set the rifle on the bag, and just kinda sfotly cradled it and pulled the trigger. After a bit, he asked dad if he could shoot his. He held Dad's the same way and it about killed his shoulder.

PastorMikH
02-17-2006, 03:43 PM
You all notice how people start threads asking advice then don't show back up?

BTW, Vegas Dave, if you do make it back to this thread, on another subject, what ended up happening with your wife and the trip to New York?

MOhillbilly
02-17-2006, 03:44 PM

Like I said, dad loads his ammo one way - full throttle. Had a guy at the range one day shooting a 45-70 but was using black poweder. He'd set the rifle on the bag, and just kinda sfotly cradled it and pulled the trigger. After a bit, he asked dad if he could shoot his. He held Dad's the same way and it about killed his shoulder.

this guys definately made the bone in my arm shiver for afew days. but heck theres something about those big calibers w/ some hotloads that make a mans heart go aflutter.

Bwana
02-17-2006, 03:44 PM

I remember the first time I fired a 45-70. I am still looking for my back teeth. One wicked gun!

MOhillbilly
02-17-2006, 03:48 PM
long ago i had a friend that found a .45-90 in the rafters of some oldhouse- he said it was made in the states went out of date in comparison and was shiped to argentina for the ?"meduro war"?.

It was blackpowder breachlock, but one massive gun.

PastorMikH
02-17-2006, 03:50 PM
this guys definately made the bone in my arm shiver for afew days. but heck theres something about those big calibers w/ some hotloads that make a mans heart go aflutter.

Yeah, a 454 Cassul and the other "big boys" are still like a 9mm to the Contender with a 14 inch 45-70 barrel.

It would also be interesting to try the Encore with the magnum rifle rounds.

HemiEd
02-17-2006, 03:50 PM
I keep this handy, Colt 357.

PastorMikH
02-17-2006, 03:53 PM
I remember the first time I fired a 45-70. I am still looking for my back teeth. One wicked gun!

Kilt my first barr, er, ah, uhm deer with dads 45-70. I was 14 at the time. It's amazing how you never notice the kick, even on a powerhouse like that one, when you are shooting at a deer.

Bwana
02-17-2006, 03:59 PM
Kilt my first barr, er, ah, uhm deer with dads 45-70. I was 14 at the time. It's amazing how you never notice the kick, even on a powerhouse like that one, when you are shooting at a deer.

No kidding! A lot like shooting my .454 Casull. If you're shooting at a deer or something like that, not a problem, but if you're slinging lead at paper........watch out because the pain is only a trigger pull away.

mike_b_284
02-17-2006, 04:19 PM
What I really like is that you buy the frame, then the barrels are interchangable. Currently, I have a gun stock and a 21" 222 barrel on my contender frame. Makes for a SWEET little carbine and feels like you are carrying a pellet gun.

This sounds very intriguing, link?

Boozer
02-17-2006, 04:31 PM
but if some mofo is on the run then he/she is quickly out of range IMO.

If you're firing at someone more than 25 feet away and running away, remember not to drop the soap in the shower.

Skip Towne
02-17-2006, 04:42 PM
Whoa, a gun that makes MO's "heart go aflutter"? It looks like he got in touch with his feminine side. What a picture that makes.

gblowfish
02-17-2006, 04:50 PM
Why puss around with a pea shooter like a Browning or a Glock? Shop where the BIG BOYS shop and get some world class home protection ...at Nicks!

dilligaf
02-17-2006, 05:10 PM
not if you know what your doing.
I dont have that problem, the dog does.

Vegas_Dave
02-17-2006, 06:28 PM
Wow. Thats a lot of advice to read through!

I have fired rifles and shotguns plenty throughout my life. So I am not new to guns. I grew up around them. Both my father & step father kept firearms in their houses. My dad kept a .22 (which I of course had the most experience with) and a shotgun in the house. His shotgun is what he kept loaded.

My stepfather had rifles, shotguns, handguns & collectible guns around the house. He is ex military. He still keeps to this day a handgun wrapped in a towel between the mattress and wall, directly under his pillow.

I have been wanting to own a handgun myself for a long time for many reasons. Protection is one (I have a big black lab that has a fierce bark, but is truly a panzy) but the other is for my own interests. As I said, my best friend will be a cop. He and I do not have as much time to spend doing things as we once did and this can give us something to get out of the house for.

There have been a number of good suggestions here and I appreciate it. Really alot of replies in less then 24 hours!

PastorMike - My wife no longer works for that doctor (she changed professions so that she could be home more with the kids) so that issue is now a mute point.

Again, thanks all. I will of course let you know what I end up doing.

dtebbe
02-17-2006, 06:34 PM
Relax Francis, it's a Skynrd song lyric.

Wiskey bottles... brand new car.... oak tree you're in my way...

:)

DT

dtebbe
02-17-2006, 06:39 PM
I do have one of these on order, gonna be my "varmit" gun :)

http://www.eaglefirearms.net/images/AR%20Elite%20CAR%20A4.jpg

getting it pretty much as shown above, except with a knurled aluminium free-float handguard.

DT

DenverChief
02-17-2006, 09:23 PM
I would go with either a Sig Sauer or a 1911 ...I currently carry a 9mm Beretta and love it to death but I am quickly learning that there are much better weapons for Law Enforcement use...I like Glocks but they are definatly meant for someone who has no gun fighting abilities

Chiefs Express
02-17-2006, 09:27 PM
id go w/ a glock in a 9mm caliber easy to shoot & lots of ammo options. form,function and balance.

If you want stopping power the 9mm in any make is the wrong weapon. The 9mm velocity is way too high. Most PD's seem to be moving to the 40cal for just that reason.

Boozer
02-17-2006, 09:29 PM
I would go with either a Sig Sauer or a 1911 ...I currently carry a 9mm Beretta and love it to death but I am quickly learning that there are much better weapons for Law Enforcement use...I like Glocks but they are definatly meant for someone who has no gun fighting abilities

What don't you like about the M9, er...I mean your 9mm service pistol? I'm a 1911 guy, but I think you've got to go with what you like. Glocks can be expensive, but if you've got some extra cash in the bank, go ahead and buy the combat tupperware if that's what you want. Getting a handgun is like getting a set of golf clubs: everyone's going to have his opinion on what's the best one, but no matter what you buy, practice is the only thing that will help you.

Chiefs Express
02-17-2006, 09:31 PM

I'm far from being an expert on hand guns, but from the guys I know that carry the Glock they are somewhat bothered that they don't have a safety. I like the Sig's, they fit my hand, but they, like the Glock, don't have a safety. I carried a Sig 9mm for a little over a year. I scored consistantly better with it than I did the Baretta. Best score with a Baretta was 234 out of 240, with the Sig I scored more 240's than anyone in my detachment.

DenverChief
02-17-2006, 10:02 PM
What don't you like about the M9, er...I mean your 9mm service pistol? I'm a 1911 guy, but I think you've got to go with what you like. Glocks can be expensive, but if you've got some extra cash in the bank, go ahead and buy the combat tupperware if that's what you want. Getting a handgun is like getting a set of golf clubs: everyone's going to have his opinion on what's the best one, but no matter what you buy, practice is the only thing that will help you.

The thing I have ran into that I don't like if the way the safety is setup you can accidentaly engage the safety after combat reload when you go to rack the slide...I have done this several times at the range and didn't notice until I went to pull the trigger and got nothing ...other than that I love my Beretta

Boozer
02-17-2006, 10:07 PM
The thing I have ran into that I don't like if the way the safety is setup you can accidentaly engage the safety after combat reload when you go to rack the slide...I have done this several times at the range and didn't notice until I went to pull the trigger and got nothing ...other than that I love my Beretta

Yeah, that would kind of suck.

Pistols are like alarm clocks, you want 100% reliability of going off when they're supposed to, and 100% reliability of not going off when they're not supposed to.

So they're kinda like golf clubs with an alarm feature.

ENDelt260
02-17-2006, 10:09 PM
I want another simile.

Tell me how your handgun is like a woman... set of golf clubs... with an alarm feature.

Boozer
02-17-2006, 10:12 PM
I want another simile.

Tell me how your handgun is like a woman... set of golf clubs... with an alarm feature.
You'll get nothing and like it!
http://www.dcasali.com/images/filmntv/caddyshack_smales_sneer.jpg

DenverChief
02-17-2006, 11:43 PM
Yeah, that would kind of suck.

Pistols are like alarm clocks, you want 100% reliability of going off when they're supposed to, and 100% reliability of not going off when they're not supposed to.

So they're kinda like golf clubs with an alarm feature.I would love to have a .40 but our dept won't allow us to carry them because the ammo for a .40 will fit into the chamber of a .45 but the casing will wedge into the barrel....I like .45's but I prefer the 9mm over the .45 and the /40 over both :shrug: