PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs QB of the Future???

Shox
02-17-2006, 09:16 AM
Green is beginning to show his age slightly. I thought his declining arm strength really showed up at times this past year. I think he only has 1 maybe 2 year left at best. Surely the Chiefs will address the situation in the offseason. So who is next?

A. Chad Pennington: The Jets are not going to give 9 million to Penny and I doubt he will just give in and forfiet the bonus. Players and coaches seem to want out of the Jets organization pretty bad right now. Penny is damaged goods right now, so he could probably be picked up pretty cheap (assuming the Jets cut him loose). Let him sit behind Trent in 2006 and really get healthy and then take over in 2007.

B. Daunte Culpepper: Giving up a second round pick for a guy who has been as successful as Culpepper is not a bad risk. Many say Moss made Cpepper look a lot better than he really is which might be true. But I think Cpepper can still be a very good NFL QB. Again he could backup Green for 2006 and really get his knee healthy and then take over in 2007. The problem here is getting him and his contract under the CAP.

C. Drew Brees: Rumor is the Chargers might let him go. I think he would be a very good fit for the Chiefs. He knows how to use the TE and is more than willing to turn around and give the rock to a stud RB, rather than demand to be the focus of the offense. Two huge problems here; 1 CAP issues, 2 Brees is not going to want to play backup and I doubt the Chiefs will kick Green to the bench.

D. Patrick Ramsey: I like this possiblity a lot. I think he has played reasonable well in difficult situations. I think if you put players around him, a running game, and a decent offensive system he can be a very effect NFL QB. I don't think he is a FA agent, but I would imagine he could be acquired for a 2nd (maybe 3rd) round pick.

E. Other FA trade candidate: I can't think of anything else that would be very promissing.

F. Draft: The Chiefs need to use the first round pick to fill a need on D. So I can't imagine using there 1st round pick on a QB. The NFL has many later round QB who have been great, but the Chiefs don't ever seem to get any of those guys so I'm not optimistic about this propect.

Most likely:
1. Ramsey
2. Rookie 3rd rounder
3. Pennington
4. Other
5. Do nothing this year
6. Brees
7. Cpepper

Hoover
02-17-2006, 09:22 AM
My top pick would be Ramsey.

Hew is young, and its not going to break the bank.

Culpepper is coming off an injury, fumbles a lot, and hasn't done well when he doesn't have Moss.

Pennington, guy has heart but so do I, he sucks and is always hurt.

Brees, another guy who got hurt, I like him, I think he would be a good fit, but I'm not willing to give him the $$$$ he is going to demand.

Extra Point
02-17-2006, 09:23 AM
Jamarcus Russell. Louisiana State University.

In the meanwhile, Ramsey would do. It's a Washington thang with Green......

Dunit35
02-17-2006, 09:27 AM
I'm going with Ramsey as well.

Culpepper...no thanks..
Brees...no thanks
Pennington...no thanks...not after reading that ESPN article awhile back about that QB who was never the same after the same injury Pennington has.

htismaqe
02-17-2006, 09:28 AM
There isn't a good option on that list, other than F.

Woodrow Call
02-17-2006, 09:32 AM
I like McCown from AZ in FA. I would love to get Croyle from Alabama if he is around in the 3rd. Whitehurst would be a good option in the mid-rounds also.

Hoover
02-17-2006, 09:34 AM
I agree that Brees is the best one on the list, but I'm willing to develope someone one like Ramsey to save FA space so we can add some FAs on D.

Frankie
02-17-2006, 09:46 AM
Ramsey's definitely worth a shot. I think he can be rehabbed in the next 2 years while we still can count on Green. If we draft one, I hope he won't be a first or second rounder. With the first subpar day from Green all fickle fans would scream for the new guy. A 3rd rounder with talent that needs polishing is the way to go. And the timing would be perfect. What QB is projected to go in the 3rd by draft gurus?

And don't forget Kilian? I'd like to see how he does in Europe.

Deberg_1990
02-17-2006, 09:48 AM
. I thought his declining arm strength really showed up at times this past year.

You Did?? Look, the guy has ever had the greatest arm strength in the world but he finds a way to get the job done. Hes nails on the short to intermidiate stuff down the middle of the field. What he has never excelled at is the deep out down the sidelines. Im not sure if thats his arm strenght though or hes just not good at the timing?? Ive seen him underthrow and overthrow those routes for 5 seasons now....

Having said that, Id love to see what Ramsey could do in this offense under the tutelage of Green for the next 2-3 seasons.

htismaqe
02-17-2006, 09:48 AM
The is one of the deepest drafts for QB's in a long time. There's gonna be some decent talent available in the 3rd and 4th.

pikesome
02-17-2006, 09:50 AM
I agree that Brees is the best one on the list, but I'm willing to develope someone one like Ramsey to save FA space so we can add some FAs on D.

Does SD even have to do anything with Brees? I know they would probably like to but I think their current cap situation allows them to be picky

htismaqe
02-17-2006, 09:52 AM
Does SD even have to do anything with Brees? I know they would probably like to but I think their current cap situation allows them to be picky

They have to offer him a contract or tag him again. His tag number would be even more than last year's $9M.

Deberg_1990
02-17-2006, 09:54 AM
If Brees goes anywhere it will be to start. Do you really think he would want to go somewhere and be a backup??? I highly doubt it. Hes a proven starter in this league. Ramsey would be our best bet out of that bunch.

ChiefsOne
02-17-2006, 09:57 AM
Brees would be my choice if it could work, but never gonna happen. I say draft best available QB anytime after 1st round.

dtrain
02-17-2006, 09:58 AM
What about Sage Rosenfels in Miami or McMahon in Philly those are two good young arms that could be had reasonably cheap.

Deberg_1990
02-17-2006, 10:01 AM
What about Sage Rosenfels in Miami or McMahon in Philly those are two good young arms that could be had reasonably cheap.

Your kidding right? Id rather draft a QB than pick up one of those "Never was"

pikesome
02-17-2006, 10:05 AM
They have to offer him a contract or tag him again. His tag number would be even more than last year's $9M.

I guess I should have been more specific. I would think that they would have the luxury of franchising him with the way the cap is in SD. At that point they could do what ever they want, trade him, start him if his arm is ok, set him behind Rivers until his arm gets better. Brees just seems to be too valuable for them to let him walk even if all they are going to do is trade him.

MOhillbilly
02-17-2006, 10:07 AM
Ramsey-reminds me alot of trent when he first went to Washington,in that he never really got a chance to see what kinda skills he had.

Played great in 3 quarters of the Giants(huge) game and would fit in well w/ Green as the teacher.

and he would be fairly cheap and a bona-fide back up who could become a bona-fide starter.

htismaqe
02-17-2006, 10:10 AM
I guess I should have been more specific. I would think that they would have the luxury of franchising him with the way the cap is in SD. At that point they could do what ever they want, trade him, start him if his arm is ok, set him behind Rivers until his arm gets better. Brees just seems to be too valuable for them to let him walk even if all they are going to do is trade him.

I think they'll transition tag him and wait to see if he can participate in OTA's...

htismaqe
02-17-2006, 10:11 AM
Ramsey-reminds me alot of trent when he first went to Washington,in that he never really got a chance to see what kinda skills he had.

Played great in 3 quarters of the Giants(huge) game and would fit in well w/ Green as the teacher.

and he would be fairly cheap and a bona-fide back up who could become a bona-fide starter.

Unfortunately, if someone like you or me can see that in Ramsey, you can damn bet Al Saunders does.

Which means the likelihood of him hitting the street decreases dramatically...

phxchief
02-17-2006, 10:12 AM
Who knows?

I know who the QB of the present is, and I hope Carl Peterson tries to surround him with better talent on both sides of the ball before he tries to get his future replacement.

MOhillbilly
02-17-2006, 10:13 AM
Unfortunately, if someone like you or me can see that in Ramsey, you can damn bet Al Saunders does.

Which means the likelihood of him hitting the street decreases dramatically...

I think they will go w/ last years pick and brunell(until his wheels fall off) and they have a cap situation of there own and some issues w/ personel ie talent that needs a upgrade.

i think he would be a great fit.

jmo.

htismaqe
02-17-2006, 10:15 AM
I think they will go w/ last years pick and brunell(until his wheels fall off) and they have a cap situation of there own and some issues w/ personel ie talent that needs a upgrade.

i think he would be a great fit.

jmo.

Maybe Al will decide to keep Ramsey and let Jason Campbell go instead. I'd take him.

MOhillbilly
02-17-2006, 10:18 AM
Maybe Al will decide to keep Ramsey and let Jason Campbell go instead. I'd take him.

id rather have a guy whos been in the leauge acouple years w/ time played in biggames than a greenhorn whos never taken a snap.
and theyd want the penthouse for JC. and the outhouse for PR which isnt indicitive of PR skills imo.

just sayin.

phxchief
02-17-2006, 10:19 AM
There's about as much chance of them losing Campbell as there is me winning the lotto.

Don't forget, he wasn't just a first-round pick. They had to give up ANOTHER first-rounder to get him.

sedated
02-17-2006, 10:21 AM
We don't need to break the bank since Green has at least 2 years left.

I like Shaub in ATL, and McMahon in PHI.

Shaub has been mentioned several times on the PLanet before. and McMahon has all the tools, he's just been in bad situations

BUT the best option is going for a 3rd or 4th round pick. cheaper with more potential

htismaqe
02-17-2006, 10:22 AM
There's about as much chance of them losing Campbell as there is me winning the lotto.

Don't forget, he wasn't just a first-round pick. They had to give up ANOTHER first-rounder to get him.

That's true. But you never know what a new OC, especially one like Al, might do.

phxchief
02-17-2006, 10:24 AM
Mike McMahon?

God, please no......... :shake:

htismaqe
02-17-2006, 10:26 AM
Mike McMahon?

I agree. He's athletic but he doesn't have what it takes upstairs to run this offense.

pikesome
02-17-2006, 10:28 AM
What about Volek? I see that he has an option in his contract for this year. If the Titans don't pick it up I would look real hard at him. Hell, I might even be interested in trading if they did pick it up but I would think the Titan's would be asking more than we would be able to give.

MOhillbilly
02-17-2006, 10:28 AM
i dont think the draft is really an option for KC, it takes a few years for a QB to get his feel in the NFL. Green could retire before a pick was ready or extend his tenure beyond his bodies limits. Eitherway it would hurt the team.
Better to try and get the most skill, brain, and grit for the least amount of caproom.

JMO.

sedated
02-17-2006, 10:30 AM
What about Volek? I see that he has an option in his contract for this year. If the Titans don't pick it up I would look real hard at him. Hell, I might even be interested in trading if they did pick it up but I would think the Titan's would be asking more than we would be able to give.

if they let McNair go (likely), I don't see them releasing their backup.

In case the QB they take in 1st round is a bust, they need an experienced backup.

now, if they restructure McNair's deal AND draft a QB... :hmmm:

pikesome
02-17-2006, 10:31 AM
i dont think the draft is really an option for KC, it takes a few years for a QB to get his feel in the NFL. Green could retire before a pick was ready or extend his tenure beyond his bodies limits. Eitherway it would hurt the team.
Better to try and get the most skill, brain, and grit for the least amount of caproom.

JMO.

Lets not forget the Chiefs track record with drafting and developing QBs. I would look at trading/FA for a passer and stick with drafting/developing other positions.

pikesome
02-17-2006, 10:34 AM
if they let McNair go (likely), I don't see them releasing their backup.

In case the QB they take in 1st round is a bust, they need an experienced backup.

now, if they restructure McNair's deal AND draft a QB... :hmmm:

I've always liked Volek, I think he'll be a good QB somewhere. While looking up he contract status I saw that he threw for more than 400 in back to back games in 2003 (I think). Against the Chiefs and the Raiders but still, I really have great expectations for him.

ChiefsOne
02-17-2006, 10:46 AM
id rather have a guy whos been in the leauge acouple years w/ time played in biggames than a greenhorn whos never taken a snap.

Reminds me of Madjack from Grizzly Adams.

steelyeyed57
02-17-2006, 10:52 AM

JMO.

Often true, but if you take a look at a lot of the successful teams in the past few years, most of them went with the QB they drafted.

Tom Brady
Ben Roethlisburger
Donovan McNabb

I'd like to see what we could do, and if you're talking cap room -- nothin cheaper than rookies.

sedated
02-17-2006, 10:53 AM
Lets not forget the Chiefs track record with drafting and developing QBs. I would look at trading/FA for a passer and stick with drafting/developing other positions.

that's why we go for a 3rd/4th/5th rounder, not waste a first.

we got to hit a homerun sometime...right? maybe? :huh:

StcChief
02-17-2006, 10:54 AM
Ramsey considering our CAP and his upside.

Frankie
02-17-2006, 10:56 AM

I totally second that.

Phobia
02-17-2006, 10:58 AM
40 posts and not one mention of Casey Printers?

Frankie
02-17-2006, 10:59 AM
Mike McMahon?

I totally second that too.

Frankie
02-17-2006, 11:01 AM
But that reputation is mostly on Marty.

pikesome
02-17-2006, 11:01 AM
that's why we go for a 3rd/4th/5th rounder, not waste a first.

we got to hit a homerun sometime...right? maybe? :huh:

I think you've passed the "Homer Litmus Test". Seriously, I don't know where the Chiefs QB drafting problem starts but lets blame CP (he is an easy target) and I don't think any of the coaching changes we've made this year are likely to affect our luck. I would think that if Trent has two more years, we go whole hog on D this year and look for his replacement next year. However if someone comes open...

Frankie
02-17-2006, 11:04 AM
I wondered about that too. But I'm not putting a lot of stock in him. Neither do, evidently, most Planeteers.

MOhillbilly
02-17-2006, 11:04 AM
Often true, but if you take a look at a lot of the successful teams in the past few years, most of them went with the QB they drafted.

Tom Brady
Ben Roethlisburger
Donovan McNabb

I'd like to see what we could do, and if you're talking cap room -- nothin cheaper than rookies.

McNabb is debateable imo. and if you want to look at just sheer numbers the qbs who were drafted and duds compared to qbs drafted and studs.....
now we all know theres alot that goes into development and the system fit and the talent of the team and coaching staff as a whole.
but i will stick to my guns w/ the PR/TG coments on time,fit and development.

Phobia
02-17-2006, 11:07 AM
I wondered about that too. But I'm not putting a lot of stock in him. Neither do, evidently, most Planeteers.

He's damn good. He draws a lot of comparisons to Warren Moon for several reasons:
1. Played in CFL.
2. Elusive.
3. Wears #1.
4. Black.
5. Accurate.

He doesn't throw as pretty a ball as Warren but he's a lot more elusive. I don't think there's any reason he can't be QBOTF for the Chiefs.

pikesome
02-17-2006, 11:11 AM

Tom Brady
Ben Roethlisburger
Donovan McNabb

On McNabb I would say that ol' Limbaugh was right about him just not for the rights reasons. His superstar status has little to do with his skin color and more to do with the team he plays for and the success of their system. That's not to say that the Chiefs wouldn't be well served to find someone who excels in our system instead of finding that stud QB you build a team around, but I wouldn't call McNabb great.

Wile_E_Coyote
02-17-2006, 11:14 AM
"Trent we need you to restructure so we can go out in FA and get your replacement. It will only make you better."

pikesome
02-17-2006, 11:16 AM
He's damn good. He draws a lot of comparisons to Warren Moon for several reasons:
1. Played in CFL.
2. Elusive.
3. Wears #1.
4. Black.
5. Accurate.

He doesn't throw as pretty a ball as Warren but he's a lot more elusive. I don't think there's any reason he can't be QBOTF for the Chiefs.

Of those reasons, I think you can forget about #1,3 & 4. None of them have any real bearing on whether he'll be any good or not. I would like to think that he turns out but I think we can all agree that even a great prospect can go south for any number of reasons, some beyond your control. I might get on the bandwagon if he gets some PT in the preseason, but until then color me sceptical (based more on the Chiefs bad luck than any knowledge of Printers ability).

Frankie
02-17-2006, 11:19 AM
I think we can all agree that even a great prospect can go south for any number of reasons, some beyond your control.
Printers has already gone south.

pikesome
02-17-2006, 11:22 AM
Printers has already gone south.

I'm not concerned with his sexual habits, only his ability to get us 2-3 SB wins. ;)

Phobia
02-17-2006, 11:30 AM
Of those reasons, I think you can forget about #1,3 & 4. None of them have any real bearing on whether he'll be any good or not. I would like to think that he turns out but I think we can all agree that even a great prospect can go south for any number of reasons, some beyond your control. I might get on the bandwagon if he gets some PT in the preseason, but until then color me sceptical (based more on the Chiefs bad luck than any knowledge of Printers ability).

I think you've been a pretty cool noob so I won't insult your reading comprehension.

But I will ask you to read my post again.

Woodrow Call
02-17-2006, 11:33 AM
Will t0dd be back or are the Chiefs looking at 2 new QBs behind Green?

Phobia
02-17-2006, 11:34 AM
I don't personally see Todd being invited back for 06.

Aries Walker
02-17-2006, 11:35 AM
I'm not a fan of Patrick Ramsey's - I hear too much of the negative about him, since I live so close to Washington. My favorite of those mentioned before would be Pennington, but between his likely price tag and his bum shoulder, well, maybe not.

I like the draft option. There's still enough time in Trent for him to get a good backup up to speed.

pikesome
02-17-2006, 11:36 AM
I think you've been a pretty cool noob so I won't insult your reading comprehension.

But I will ask you to read my post again.

I didn't mean to sound like I was crediting the list to you, personally. I understand that his skin color and CFL experience has caused him to be compared to Moon, its just that there are a myriad of factors that go in to a good NFL QB and I pretty sure being black and playing in the CFL aren't very high on the list.

I really would like to see him turn in to a solid starter but look at the number of QBs that don't make it. I'm going to hold out until I see him play some NFL football.

MOhillbilly
02-17-2006, 11:39 AM
I'm not a fan of Patrick Ramsey's - I hear too much of the negative about him, since I live so close to Washington. My favorite of those mentioned before would be Pennington, but between his likely price tag and his bum shoulder, well, maybe not.

I like the draft option. There's still enough time in Trent for him to get a good backup up to speed.

dont believe the hype.

Phobia
02-17-2006, 11:48 AM
I didn't mean to sound like I was crediting the list to you, personally. I understand that his skin color and CFL experience has caused him to be compared to Moon, its just that there are a myriad of factors that go in to a good NFL QB and I pretty sure being black and playing in the CFL aren't very high on the list.

I really would like to see him turn in to a solid starter but look at the number of QBs that don't make it. I'm going to hold out until I see him play some NFL football.

The list has nothing to do with his ability to play in the NFL. The list was a few reasons why he's compared to Warren Moon.

Tribal Warfare
02-17-2006, 11:57 AM
Matt Shaub (sp?)

of Atlanta

jspchief
02-17-2006, 12:01 PM

JMO.I disagree. I don't think we've ever been in a better situation to develop a drafted QB. We know Green is in the twilight of his career, so we don't have to worry about a Brees/Rivers situation. At the very least we have one year for the guy to develop on the bench. Sure there's the chance that Green goes down and the kid gets thrown to the wolves early, but with a great o-line and running game, we should be able to protect him.

As for "the Chiefs history developing QBs"... What the hell does that actually mean? When's the last time KC seriously tried to develop a QB? Matt Blundin was the last QB we drafted on day 1, and we haven't taken a QB higher than 4th round since Marty and Pat Barnes. This is three eras later. No one has any clue how capable this current organization is in regards to developing a QB. And to look at failures from '92 or '83 as examples of why we'll fail is ridiculous.

jspchief
02-17-2006, 12:03 PM
Matt Shaub (sp?)

of AtlantaWe could have drafted him instead of that bum Kris Wilson. :mad:

pikesome
02-17-2006, 12:05 PM
The list has nothing to do with his ability to play in the NFL. The list was a few reasons why he's compared to Warren Moon.

I understand the comparison to Moon but this line of thinking exemplifies a problem most football fans have. We like to latch on to a couple of facts and extrapolate them out to prove that so-and-so is the second coming. Look at my post about Volek, I cited his performance against the Chiefs and Raiders in 2003 as reasons why he's good. Stevie Wonder could have thrown for 400 yards against us in 2003 but I left that part out. I'm not saying Printers is over-rated, I just think that, at this moment, any real opinion on his ability to be great is premature.

Chiefs Pantalones
02-17-2006, 12:12 PM
http://pix2.hotornot.com/pics/HU/HS/K8/HL/AMORGUAUCPSP.jpg

ChiefInUtah
02-17-2006, 12:19 PM
here's the guy we need to get in the Draft. And we definitely do not need to pick up sloppy seconds via FA. Dude's name is Drew Olson. If you haven't heard about him yet you will be soon. All I have to say is Efficient. Here's the scout on him:

Drew Olson had a solid career at UCLA, showing steady improvement in each of his four seasons. He won the starting job late in his freshman year, but had an up-and-down season as a sophomore. He really started taking command of the offense as a junior, throwing 54 touchdown passes in his final two seasons while reducing his interceptions from 13 as a junior to just 6 as a senior. Olson's greatest strength is his poise in the pocket. He has learned to be very patient and precise with the ball. His arm strength is sufficient by NFL standards, and he throws the ball with accuracy downfield. He doesn't scramble for big gains, but can throw on the move with accuracy. Olson suffered a serious knee injury that required surgery to repair two tendons at the end of his junior season, but seems to have recovered fully. Nonetheless, Olson was not the most mobile player before the injury, and may struggle to elude faster NFL defenders. He isn't going to win a game with his athleticism. Some are concerned that he may not have the talent to be more than a marginal starter at the next level. Olson was given a heavy workload in the pass-happy PAC-10. He enters the draft as one of the more polished passers available, and could be far enough along to take a backup spot from a veteran in training camp. Many quarterbacks with similar athletic ability have had long and productive careers, so don't count Olson out as a potential starter down the road.

Strengths:
Can think and react quickly
Throws with accuracy and ample velocity
Works diligently on his technique

Weaknesses:
Suffered major knee injury
Isn't fast or elusive
Not an impressive athlete overall

If this isn't Trent Green to a T then I don't know what is. Even the Knee injury. Count on getting him in the 3rd round. Oh by the way, He had 34 TD's to only 6 INT's this past season.

Otter
02-17-2006, 12:31 PM
I'd love to see the Chiefs pick up McCown from the Cards to take over for Collins and draft a "legitimate" QBoTF in the draft.

However, I personally think Peterson is stupid enough to relive the whole Grbac experience again. I stopped giving a shit awhile ago.

Frankie
02-17-2006, 12:37 PM
I disagree. I don't think we've ever been in a better situation to develop a drafted QB. We know Green is in the twilight of his career, so we don't have to worry about a Brees/Rivers situation. At the very least we have one year for the guy to develop on the bench. Sure there's the chance that Green goes down and the kid gets thrown to the wolves early, but with a great o-line and running game, we should be able to protect him.

As for "the Chiefs history developing QBs"... What the hell does that actually mean? When's the last time KC seriously tried to develop a QB? Matt Blundin was the last QB we drafted on day 1, and we haven't taken a QB higher than 4th round since Marty and Pat Barnes. This is three eras later. No one has any clue how capable this current organization is in regards to developing a QB. And to look at failures from '92 or '83 as examples of why we'll fail is ridiculous.
Agreed on both counts. But I would seriously consider the still young Ramsey as well.

Phobia
02-17-2006, 12:39 PM
I understand the comparison to Moon but this line of thinking exemplifies a problem most football fans have. We like to latch on to a couple of facts and extrapolate them out to prove that so-and-so is the second coming. Look at my post about Volek, I cited his performance against the Chiefs and Raiders in 2003 as reasons why he's good. Stevie Wonder could have thrown for 400 yards against us in 2003 but I left that part out. I'm not saying Printers is over-rated, I just think that, at this moment, any real opinion on his ability to be great is premature.

You've completely missed any point I was trying to make.

Printers has the tools to be a good QB in this league. But he'll also present an injury risk as most scrambling QBs do.

The other point was that he's been compared to Warren Moon. That comparison is based upon a lot of reasons. It doesn't mean he's going to perform anything like Moon.

Considering Printers is currently under contract to the KC Chiefs, I'd say he has a better chance of being our QBOTF than any other name mentioned within this thread yet his name wasn't brought up until I did so late in the thread.

ct
02-17-2006, 12:44 PM
1) Josh McCown, Arizona UFA (sign as backup, draft Croyle for long term development)
2) Brodie Croyle, Alabama

or...

3) Joey Harrington, Detroit cap casualty perhaps?
4) Casey Printers, CFL MVP, already under contract

Mr. Laz
02-17-2006, 12:46 PM
POSTED 8:51 a.m. EST; UPDATED 9:19 a.m. EST, February 17, 2006
http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm

JETS NET CAP HIT FOR CUTTING CHAD? ZERO

As the New York Jets try to finagle a reduction in quarterback Chad Pennington's 2006 wages, some NFL observers are explaining that the Jets have no real leverage because cutting Pennington would give rise to a $12 million cap hit.

We've confirmed that, indeed, dumping Pennington will result in a $12 million cap charge due to the $22 million he already has received under a contract signed in 2004. But cutting Pennington also will result in a savings of (you guessed it) $12 million owed to Pennington in 2006.

Meaning that the net cap hit technically would be zero.

But there's a minor twist. The Jets have the right to guarantee his 2006 base salary of $6 million. So if they keep Chad at his current wages in 2006 and guarantee the base, his cap number would be $10.5 million. Since cutting him would cost $12 million against the cap, the net cap hit as a practical matter would be $1.5 million.

But given that the CBA extension likely will get done, cutting Chad now gets him off the books, with no cap charges in future years. And because no one expects the Jets to do much on the field in 2006, it might be wise for the Two Utes who are running the show to bite the bullet now.

The bottom line here is that if Pennington refuses to take a significant pay reduction, the fact that cutting him creates a $12 million cap charge should not be an impediment to getting rid of him -- especially since keeping him at a $10.5 million cap number will require paying him $12 million in 2006, but taking a $12 million cap hit by releasing him requires the placement of no further cash into his already unjustifiably deep pockets.

DeepSouth
02-17-2006, 12:46 PM
nor Harrington (Detroit)

ChiefsOne
02-17-2006, 12:56 PM
2. Elusive.
4. Black.
5. Accurate.

Sounds like Brad Smith. Take him in the 4th and see what he can do.

pikesome
02-17-2006, 12:56 PM
You've completely missed any point I was trying to make.

Printers has the tools to be a good QB in this league. But he'll also present an injury risk as most scrambling QBs do.

The other point was that he's been compared to Warren Moon. That comparison is based upon a lot of reasons. It doesn't mean he's going to perform anything like Moon.

Considering Printers is currently under contract to the KC Chiefs, I'd say he has a better chance of being our QBOTF than any other name mentioned within this thread yet his name wasn't brought up until I did so late in the thread.

I didn't miss your point, I got on a tangent about player evals that is a pet-peave of mine.

Many said the same thing about Leaf, he had the tools to be a good QB. But, in his situation, you can see that is not just about football ability alone. I would go so far as to say that 90% of his problem had nothing to do with lack of ability and more with a lack of maturity and the poor atmosphere for a new QB he was in.

What does this have to do with Printers? Probably very little. He played fairly good in a league that many would consider inferior to the NFL. He has yet to take a snap for us in a real game. Will he he be any good? Maybe? Probably? I think you are dead-on about the likelihood that he is first in line for QBOTF but it is still worth tossing around other names, it's not like anyone who makes these decisions real cares what we have to say about it.

I really didn't mean to start anything, but I'm as guilty as the next fan of thinking that the grass is greener with someone else's player.

ct
02-17-2006, 01:03 PM
1) Josh McCown, Arizona UFA (sign as backup, draft Croyle for long term development)
2) Brodie Croyle, Alabama

or...

3) Joey Harrington, Detroit cap casualty perhaps?
4) Casey Printers, CFL MVP, already under contract

nor Harrington (Detroit)

Missed by [that] much.

chiefsfan1963
02-17-2006, 01:22 PM
remember GB when they got Favre from the Falcons? Could any of these QB's be as great?

MahiMike
02-17-2006, 01:28 PM

NO NO NO! Never, ever DEVELOP a QB. Much better to let someone else spend time, energy and $ on a kid. Draft OL and ALWAYS get your QB via FA.

I like; Brees or David Garrard.

Count Alex's Losses
02-17-2006, 01:33 PM
Green will be in KC until he is 40.

pikesome
02-17-2006, 01:39 PM

He definitely could be here far longer than is normal of a pro QB. His early career wasn't as wearing as most other QBs. The Chiefs don't put him in the situation where he gets kicked around (at least as much as they can). He seems to genuinely like KC and being here, playing football. I could easily see him lasting far longer than average here. This is a good thing IMHO. I also get the feeling that he would be willing, when the time came, to actually help groom his replacement. As long as its not for few seasons.

Otter
02-17-2006, 02:16 PM
NO NO NO! Never, ever DEVELOP a QB. Much better to let someone else spend time, energy and $ on a kid. Draft OL and ALWAYS get your QB via FA.

I like; Brees or David Garrard.

Oh, yeah. Teams are just giving away the Tom Brady's, Carson Palmers, Peyton Mannings, Joe Montanas, Dan Marinos and Steve Youngs of the NFL.

SLAP!!!

Phobia
02-17-2006, 02:20 PM
I didn't miss your point, I got on a tangent about player evals that is a pet-peave of mine.

Oh. I was wondering why your response didn't coincide with my post. A tangent - makes sense.

I don't think you "started" anything. We don't worry too much about stepping on toes on this site, in case you haven't notices yet. We say what is on our minds and hope the other guy isn't a puss.

REST STOP HOOLIGAN
02-17-2006, 02:29 PM
Here is my pick.

pikesome
02-17-2006, 02:36 PM
Oh. I was wondering why your response didn't coincide with my post. A tangent - makes sense.

I don't think you "started" anything. We don't worry too much about stepping on toes on this site, in case you haven't notices yet. We say what is on our minds and hope the other guy isn't a puss.

I've been here long enough to know that kcchiefqt's bikini pics and poop threads take precedence over our missing of the minds.
:)

Frankie
02-17-2006, 02:38 PM
Here is my pick.
Attention all members. Put out a nationwide APB for one Timothy Coach. Concentrate on all McDonalds, Wendy's, Burger Kings ad Arby's. The Kansas City Chiefs are looking for their quarterback of the future.

DeepSouth
02-17-2006, 02:53 PM
Oh, yeah. Teams are just giving away the Tom Brady's, Carson Palmers, Peyton Mannings, Joe Montanas, Dan Marinos and Steve Youngs of the NFL.

SLAP!!!
Actually, Steve Young was drafted by Tampa and sucked. When he signed with the 49ers, he did so knowing he was going to be Montana's backup.

htismaqe
02-17-2006, 03:05 PM
Joey Harrington ain't going anywhere...

DeepSouth
02-17-2006, 03:09 PM
Joey Harrington ain't going anywhere...
I heard the Lions were not going to pay him the bonus it would take to keep him so he'd be available.

htismaqe
02-17-2006, 03:19 PM
I heard the Lions were not going to pay him the bonus it would take to keep him so he'd be available.

Martz was on the radio the other morning and he loves Harrington and thinks he can be like Kurt Warner was...

ChiefsOne
02-17-2006, 03:20 PM
Otter Oh, yeah. Teams are just giving away the Tom Brady's, Carson Palmers, Peyton Mannings, Joe Montanas, Dan Marinos and Steve Youngs of the NFL.

SLAP!!!

Drafting a quaterback is a crap shoot for the most part.

Do you think KC would have drafted Blackledge ahead of Marino and Kelly if they would have know the outcome? Tom Brady was a 6th rounder, don't you think every team would have took him in the first that year if they would have known how he would have turned out?

Simply Red
02-17-2006, 03:32 PM
WIGGA-WHA? CASEY PRINTERS DOG! I THOUGHT... OR DID HE PURSUE MODELING FULL-TIME?

MOhillbilly
02-17-2006, 04:01 PM

this goes back to my worries about Green playing beyond what his body permits.
god knows that Green will grind whatever grist the mill requires.

KCChiefsMan
02-17-2006, 04:52 PM
I'm Casey Printers....bitch!

PastorMikH
02-17-2006, 04:56 PM
Some around here may not like him, but I was impressed with what I saw from Killian last year. He's 2-3 years away, but he reminds me a lot of Green. Also, when he's on the field, even as a kid amongst other kids, he steps up and leads.

PastorMikH
02-17-2006, 04:57 PM
Martz was on the radio the other morning and he loves Harrington and thinks he can be like Kurt Warner was...

You mean throw lots of INTs and such?

:)

beer bacon
02-17-2006, 05:26 PM
Kerry Collins is the Chiefs' QBOTF.

Frankie
02-17-2006, 05:48 PM
Some around here may not like him, but I was impressed with what I saw from Killian last year. He's 2-3 years away, but he reminds me a lot of Green. Also, when he's on the field, even as a kid amongst other kids, he steps up and leads.
I'm with you on that. He's raw, but he showed Green-like heart albeit in the preseason.

chubychecker
02-17-2006, 06:51 PM
This next year will be trent's last to play to the ability we all as cheifs fans expect of our QB. Once our line retires (will and willie) Trent will not have the tools to play the game to the level we all expect. See last year when our line was injured.

Schaub would be my favorite. I think he has better long term prospects than their starter Vick.

Josh McCown would be my second pick. I watched a lot of their games this year; mostly because I had Fitzgerald and Boldin on my fantasy team. He has a cannon for an arm. HUGE upside. Look at his numbers last year as a starter. Put him behind our line and make his opposing defenses worried about the run first and he could be dangerous.

I will probably get slammed for putting down Green that's just my $.02

LarryJ
02-22-2006, 12:05 PM
Hey Guys,

First post on here...
Im from Edmonton, Alberta, Canada.

We don't have an NFL team, and have to travel to Seattle to see decent football. The CFL is a league which is inferior to the NFL in every way possible. So much that it is frustrating to watch games sometimes.

That being said, I can say that Casey Printers (who signed a month or two back with the chiefs) is an exception. Casey Printers is an incredibly mobile, athletic, and talented Quarterback, who played for the BC Lions. There has been some good QB's out of the CFL (Flutie, Moon, Garcia), but Printers is better than all of them... OK maybe not moon! BUT CLOSE! haha. Give this guy a shot. I mean heck, maybe we have some luck with the BC Lions! Trent Green was cut from the BC Lions at one point in time!

I just wanted to get all those people who haven't heard much about him EXCITED. He should grab the number 2 spot, with an OK camp. He's young (24, close to 25 now), and put up REMARKABLE numbers during his time with the LIONS.

It was obvious that he was too good for the CFL, and he made a great move going to KC (the greatest team in the NFL!)

Hope to post a ton more!
Cheers.

milkman
02-22-2006, 12:12 PM
Hey Guys,

First post on here...

We don't have an NFL team, and have to travel to Seattle to see decent football. The CFL is a league which is inferior to the NFL in every way possible. So much that it is frustrating to watch games sometimes.

That being said, I can say that Casey Printers (who signed a month or two back with the chiefs) is an exception. Casey Printers is an incredibly mobile, athletic, and talented Quarterback, who played for the BC Lions. There has been some good QB's out of the CFL (Flutie, Moon, Garcia), but Printers is better than all of them... OK maybe not moon! BUT CLOSE! haha. Give this guy a shot. I mean heck, maybe we have some luck with the BC Lions! Trent Green was cut from the BC Lions at one point in time!

I just wanted to get all those people who haven't heard much about him EXCITED. He should grab the number 2 spot, with an OK camp. He's young (24, close to 25 now), and put up REMARKABLE numbers during his time with the LIONS.

It was obvious that he was too good for the CFL, and he made a great move going to KC (the greatest team in the NFL!)

Hope to post a ton more!
Cheers.

OH BOY!!!!

I'm excited now!!!!!!!

LarryJ
02-22-2006, 12:15 PM
you should be

ChiefsOne
02-22-2006, 12:16 PM
LarryJ, thanks for the heads up. I am excited about any prospect that could turn in to something great!

milkman
02-22-2006, 12:16 PM
you should be

Pardon my skepticism.

Cochise
02-22-2006, 12:18 PM
ROFL @ Pennington
ROFL @ Ramsey

Culpepper will cost a lot more than a second round pick.

Brees will neve be had for a backup's salary with so many QB-poor teams in the league.

Cochise
02-22-2006, 12:21 PM
McCown threw more INTs than TDs last year and fumbled 7 times in 9 games.

chefsos
02-22-2006, 12:24 PM
Hey Guys,

First post on here...

Hope to post a ton more!
Cheers.
Welcome to the board. We'll just have to wait and see about Printers. It seems that he has equal chances to be a big surprise, or to just disappear.

Katipan
02-22-2006, 03:39 PM
Who the hell is Casey Printers?

joesomebody
02-22-2006, 03:41 PM
You question Trent Green's arm strength and suggest Chad Pennington as his replacement...

I'm not reading any more.

LarryJ
02-22-2006, 05:48 PM
Katipan,

Here's a few links I've collected for ya! I just wanan stress, that this kid is the cream of the crop from the CFL. The best player in the CFL right now, hands down. We in Canada know that he has the potential to make a mark down south. I wish him the best of luck (and I don't even like the team he played on up here!)

Casey Printers (born May 5, 1981 in DeSoto, Texas) is a quarterback with the Kansas City Chiefs of the National Football League. Standing at 6'2", 216 pounds, Printers formerly was the backup quarterback with the B.C. Lions of the Canadian Football League. During the 2004 season, in which Printers was initially the third-string quarterback, Printers ultimately replaced the first string quarterback Dave Dickenson when Dickenson went down with an injury. Printers went on to be named the Most Outstanding Player during the 2004 season, in which he helped the Lions reach the Grey Cup. However, it was Dave Dickenson who was chosen to play in the Grey Cup game. During the 2005 season, Printers was embroiled in a quarterback controversy with veteran Dave Dickenson over who would start as pivot. Ultimately, Printers saw little playing time and Dickenson lead the Lions for most of the 2005 season, although that was partly because of injury problems for Printers. Printers played collegiately at Texas Christian University and Florida A&M. He was named MVP of the 1999 GMAC Bowl.

http://www.bclions.com/index.php?module=roster&func=display&ros_id=273

http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/cfl/news?slug=cp-cfl_printers_departs&prov=cp&type=lgns

I don't think there is anyone really more excited than me to see what he does in camp... But hey, its fun getting all riled up about a young prospect, mroight?

Katipan
02-22-2006, 05:50 PM
Katipan,

Here's a few links I've collected for ya! I just wanan stress, that this kid is the cream of the crop from the CFL. The best player in the CFL right now, hands down. We in Canada know that he has the potential to make a mark down south. I wish him the best of luck (and I don't even like the team he played on up here!)

Casey Printers (born May 5, 1981 in DeSoto, Texas) is a quarterback with the Kansas City Chiefs of the National Football League. Standing at 6'2", 216 pounds, Printers formerly was the backup quarterback with the B.C. Lions of the Canadian Football League. During the 2004 season, in which Printers was initially the third-string quarterback, Printers ultimately replaced the first string quarterback Dave Dickenson when Dickenson went down with an injury. Printers went on to be named the Most Outstanding Player during the 2004 season, in which he helped the Lions reach the Grey Cup. However, it was Dave Dickenson who was chosen to play in the Grey Cup game. During the 2005 season, Printers was embroiled in a quarterback controversy with veteran Dave Dickenson over who would start as pivot. Ultimately, Printers saw little playing time and Dickenson lead the Lions for most of the 2005 season, although that was partly because of injury problems for Printers. Printers played collegiately at Texas Christian University and Florida A&M. He was named MVP of the 1999 GMAC Bowl.

http://www.bclions.com/index.php?module=roster&func=display&ros_id=273

http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/cfl/news?slug=cp-cfl_printers_departs&prov=cp&type=lgns

I don't think there is anyone really more excited than me to see what he does in camp... But hey, its fun getting all riled up about a young prospect, mroight?

Only if he's sexy.

Is he sexy?

Wile_E_Coyote
02-22-2006, 06:35 PM
This next year will be trent's last to play to the ability we all as chiefs fans expect of our QB. Once our line retires (will and willie) Trent will not have the tools to play the game to the level we all expect. See last year when our line was injured.

Schaub would be my favorite. I think he has better long term prospects than their starter Vick.

Josh McCown would be my second pick. I watched a lot of their games this year; mostly because I had Fitzgerald and Boldin on my fantasy team. He has a cannon for an arm. HUGE upside. Look at his numbers last year as a starter. Put him behind our line and make his opposing defenses worried about the run first and he could be dangerous.

I will probably get slammed for putting down Green that's just my $.02

~being a post critic is easy work. Don't ask me for any solutions though :p

chefsos
02-22-2006, 06:45 PM
Only if he's sexy.

Is he sexy?
I'll bet ol' LarryJ is :spock: right about now.