PDA

View Full Version : Sirius radio news .......... possibly bad news.

John_Wayne
02-17-2006, 02:51 PM
http://today.reuters.com/news/newsarticle.aspx?type=businessNews&storyid=2006-02-17T191917Z_01_WEN0995_RTRUKOC_0_US-MEDIA-SIRIUSSATELLITE-EARNS.xml&rpc=23

It sounds like Sirius and XM are in a spending war. I predict that XM will win. Maybe I misunderstood, but it sounds like Sirius is blaming their problems on XM's spending and yet Sirius just spent $500 million on that jackass Howard Stern while XM only spent $55 million on Oprah. To me, Sirius has created their own problems. I wouldn't have spent $5.00 on both of them combined.

Discuss..........

TrickyNicky
02-17-2006, 03:00 PM
they gave 500 mill to Howard Stern? No wonder he's begging people to try it on talkshows

REST STOP HOOLIGAN
02-17-2006, 03:07 PM
The race is on.....

The two personalities these two have hired on are tottaly opposite of one another. You would think think that demographics would be a major factor in their choice, but they do not have advertising right? So why play up to the demographics aspect of it all. I would say that Oprahs listener are female, stay at home mothers 18-45. While your Howard Stern listener is the male, blue collar 18-35.

How can they afford to pay these salaries with out advertising?

Their monthly fees are pretty low from what I hear.

JBucc
02-17-2006, 03:08 PM
Radio?

Baby Lee
02-17-2006, 03:39 PM
Sirius just spent $500 million on that jackass Howard Stern while XM only spent $55 million on Oprah. To me, Sirius has created their own problems. I wouldn't have spent $5.00 on both of them combined.

Discuss..........
Sirius gets two channels, upwards of 5 hours a day of the primary show, rerun in the evening, and the rest of the programming on those two channels in a decidedly Howard tone/ouevre.
XM get's the press release and 30 minutes of Oprah a week.

The Bad Guy
02-17-2006, 04:41 PM
Sirius gets two channels, upwards of 5 hours a day of the primary show, rerun in the evening, and the rest of the programming on those two channels in a decidedly Howard tone/ouevre.
XM get's the press release and 30 minutes of Oprah a week.

Don't talk facts with Gunther_Fan, he gets dizzy.

The Bad Guy
02-17-2006, 04:42 PM
http://today.reuters.com/news/newsarticle.aspx?type=businessNews&storyid=2006-02-17T191917Z_01_WEN0995_RTRUKOC_0_US-MEDIA-SIRIUSSATELLITE-EARNS.xml&rpc=23

It sounds like Sirius and XM are in a spending war. I predict that XM will win. Maybe I misunderstood, but it sounds like Sirius is blaming their problems on XM's spending and yet Sirius just spent $500 million on that jackass Howard Stern while XM only spent $55 million on Oprah. To me, Sirius has created their own problems. I wouldn't have spent $5.00 on both of them combined.

Discuss..........

XM decided to spend on technology and Sirius decided to spend on talent while developing their technology.

I don't see the pros of technology when the content sucks, but to each his own.

Sounds to me like you just like to be an XM fanboy.

dtebbe
02-17-2006, 07:02 PM
Mel Karmazin is going to kick that XM ass. You heard it here first.

They signed stern in like october, when they had like 700k subs. By december they had over 3 million subs. Sterns contract is 5 years $500mil. Do the math. If stern pulls in 2 million subs, that's $288 million a year in revenue, or a $188 million profit. The numbers pretty much show he's already done that, and anyone who knows radio knows that most of Stern's minons have been listening to him for over 5 years. They aren't going anywhere. Love him or hate him, it was a brilliant move by Sirius.

Then add in NFL, Nascar, and all the other sports, and Sirius has content head and shoulders over XM.

DT

Chiefsrocker
02-17-2006, 09:52 PM
I have had Sirius for about 2 years now, and to be honest, I really like it now with Stern on. I drive about an hour every morning, and having not really listened to him in the past, he is really entertaining for the most part IMO. And on the way home, I listen to Bubba the Love Sponge, which Howard drug over to Sirius with him. Bubba is certainly "different". I like the uncensored radio on satellite. No more annoying beeps over the bad words!

dtebbe
02-18-2006, 12:15 AM
I have had Sirius for about 2 years now, and to be honest, I really like it now with Stern on. I drive about an hour every morning, and having not really listened to him in the past, he is really entertaining for the most part IMO. And on the way home, I listen to Bubba the Love Sponge, which Howard drug over to Sirius with him. Bubba is certainly "different". I like the uncensored radio on satellite. No more annoying beeps over the bad words!

Bubba kinda makes Stern sound like a little school girl...

And his live video and photos of his studio guests on his website can be interesting... http://www.btls.com

DT

greg63
02-18-2006, 12:19 AM
This is about the only radio I listen to.

Johnson&Johnson
02-18-2006, 01:33 AM
gotta be nuts if i ever subscribe to XM for Oprah. you kidding me?????

I won't even watch her show when its free on national network (ABC).

anyone who's into paying for radio is straight up DUMB. freaking 40 plus stations on the air wave for free is not good enough???

HemiEd
02-18-2006, 06:38 AM
anyone who's into paying for radio is straight up DUMB. freaking 40 plus stations on the air wave for free is not good enough???

ROFL I just bought a second docking station for my other car yesterday. Now I can be dumb in both cars. ROFL

Otter
02-18-2006, 06:44 AM
A couple weeks ago a bunch of us went down to Myrtle Beach. We flew out of Phili which is a 2 hour drive. We listend to the Howard Stern channel for about an hour and it was stupid.

I was mostly old interviews. I'm sure his live show is better but I wouldn't pay for it.

I would however pay for the NFL games if I was on the road alot during the games.

HemiEd
02-18-2006, 07:00 AM
I was mostly old interviews. I'm sure his live show is better but I wouldn't pay for it.

I would however pay for the NFL games if I was on the road alot during the games.

I have not listened to Stern since he has been on. However it is sure nice to pick a station and listen to it continuously on a long trip. Now, if they would only get rid of "marble mouth" Shannon Sharpe on the NFL channel.

C-Mac
02-18-2006, 07:11 AM
Mel Karmazin is going to kick that XM ass. You heard it here first.

They signed stern in like october, when they had like 700k subs. By december they had over 3 million subs. Sterns contract is 5 years $500mil. Do the math. If stern pulls in 2 million subs, that's $288 million a year in revenue, or a $188 million profit. The numbers pretty much show he's already done that, and anyone who knows radio knows that most of Stern's minons have been listening to him for over 5 years. They aren't going anywhere. Love him or hate him, it was a brilliant move by Sirius.

Then add in NFL, Nascar, and all the other sports, and Sirius has content head and shoulders over XM.

DT

Agreed and when Sirius releases the video streams this summer, they will jump ahead of XM.

greg63
02-18-2006, 09:04 AM
Agreed and when Sirius releases the video streams this summer, they will jump ahead of XM.

Your avatar is very disturbing; in a humorous kind of way. :D

Extra Point
02-18-2006, 09:06 AM
I wouldn't have spent $5.00 on both of them combined.

Discuss..........

I hear that!

QuikSsurfer
02-18-2006, 09:11 AM
i've had xm for about 2 years now.. no complaints. love opie and anthony. i have a few sirius stations that came with the dish package but i'll stick with xm.