PDA

View Full Version : Skins, it's time to pay the bill

Wile_E_Coyote
02-18-2006, 06:52 AM
From CBSSportsline:
it's a Prisco
http://www.sportsline.com/u/partners/aol/index.html? (http://www.sportsline.com/u/partners/aol/index.html)

How would you like to be Eric Schaffer, the cap man for the Washington Redskins? Your boss is the combustible Dan Snyder and your cap is a mess, so much so that two cap experts from other teams who looked at it say it's as bad as they have seen.

We pity poor Schaffer, who isn't to blame. It's not his fault Snyder throws money around as if he prints it, snubbing the reality that cap jail will eventually swallow his team whole.

"I'm glad I'm not Eric," said one of the cap experts. "That thing is a mess."

The Redskins have acted like pigs when it comes to signing players, disregarding the consequences. (Getty Images)
According to NFLPA figures, the Redskins have $115.4 million committed in salary for their top 51 players in 2006. The cap is expected to be $92 to $95 million. That means they have to trim $20 million or so. And that's not counting the $2 million or so the team will need to sign its rookies (thankfully, they don't have a first-round pick to pay, or that would be higher).

The Redskins have done a decent job trimming their cap down in recent years, but this time it might not be possible -- certainly not without a new collective bargaining agreement. A new agreement could help relieve some of the cap problems, but even with one, the Redskins face a daunting task.

"If they reduced everybody to a veteran minimum, and that won't happen, they'd still be $4 million over the cap," said one of the cap experts. "That's before cutting anybody."

So how did it get this bad? The Redskins have paid out big money deals under Snyder, and some of them have blown up in the team's face, leading to the chase factor. You chase bad deals with more bad deals to compensate.

Thus, they have trouble.

When room got tight in the past, they extended players' deals to create room, spreading bonus amortization out over the years. Eventually, though, it becomes time to pay the piper.

That time is now.

We would liken the Redskins' plight to a family that keeps putting off paying the credit card balance by paying minimums.

"All the deals, all the overpaying for years and moving money into future years has caught up to them," said the cap expert. "Last year they had to move $7 million in money into future years. That catches up to you at some point."

One cap expert said the Redskins might be forced to let good players walk, and could be forced to field a team with as many as 20 rookies -- or more.

If there's a new CBA, the Redskins might be able to get out from under the cap troubles a little easier, although it still will be a lot of work.

"Can you imagine the dynamics of what Schaffer is going through?" one cap expert said. "He has to go to Snyder and Joe Gibbs and tell them they have to cut players. That has to be ugly."

Cap hell. It's as ugly as it gets in the NFL, and it's a jail that's hard to get paroled out of.

Still think the Redskins will be playoff contenders?

Gibbs has his work cut out for him this season. Maybe auto racing never looked so good.

Skip Towne
02-18-2006, 07:04 AM
They should ask the Rat to show them how to cheat the cap. They never have a problem with it.

Chiefnj
02-18-2006, 08:53 AM
Ever since Snyder came to Washington everyone has said the caps going to be a mess and every year they seem to pull themselves out of it.

CoMoChief
02-18-2006, 09:02 AM
"If they reduced everybody to a veteran minimum, and that won't happen, they'd still be $4 million over the cap," said one of the cap experts. "That's before cutting anybody."

:eek:

foxman
02-18-2006, 09:04 AM
(thankfully, they don't have a first-round pick to pay, or that would be higher).

One cap expert said the Redskins might be forced to let good players walk, and could be forced to field a team with as many as 20 rookies -- or more.

So with no first round draft pick and possibly using as many as 20 rookies.....wow thats a recipe for sucking if I ever heard one.

Skip Towne
02-18-2006, 09:07 AM
What happens if a team fails to get under the cap?

nychief
02-18-2006, 09:09 AM

they disband them.

4th and Long
02-18-2006, 09:10 AM
The short answer is simply that NO team CAN go over the Salary Cap. Note that every contract must go through the NFL League Office before the deal can be made official. Presumably, one of the things the league must do at this time is determine whether or not the contract would violate the NFL's Salary Cap. If the deal does violate the cap, then the NFL will reject it.

There have been instances in which a team has managed to sneak a cap evading contract by the league. Upon further review, the violations were caught by the league and the respective teams were penalized. Penalties include fines and/or forfeiture of draft picks. In recent history both the Pittsburgh Steelers and San Francisco 49ers have been penalized draft picks, while the 49ers' front office personnel (Carmen Policy and Dwight Clark) were also fined.

nychief
02-18-2006, 09:10 AM
bring me LAVAR.

Simplex3
02-18-2006, 09:50 AM
They win the Super Bowl. Just ask Taco.

Mr. Laz
02-18-2006, 09:52 AM
The short answer is simply that NO team CAN go over the Salary Cap.
i don't think that's technically true

i think that teams are fined 1 million dollars per day for being over the cap.

then after a certain amout of time(few days) the league will come in and put you under the cap themselves IIRC.

i don't know if that means the league will just start cutting players or what.

HerculesRockefell
02-18-2006, 10:49 AM
i don't think that's technically true

i think that teams are fined 1 million dollars per day for being over the cap.

then after a certain amout of team(few days) the league will come in and put you under the cap themselves IIRC.

i don't know if that means the league will just start cutting players or what.

I believe they start voiding contracts, starting with the most recent ones signed and working backwards until the team gets under the cap.

beavis
02-18-2006, 11:10 AM
Well that kind of sucks for AS to be walking into that situation.

I wonder who they'd be most likely to cut if it really does come down to it.

Chief Roundup
02-18-2006, 11:21 AM
Man sure would like to have Santana Moss if it is new to old in release.
I think I would have to pass on Lavar though. He evidently has a problem learning and following instruction.

Chief Roundup
02-18-2006, 11:22 AM
Well that kind of sucks for AS to be walking into that situation.

I wonder who they'd be most likely to cut if it really does come down to it.
Nobody forced him to leave from here. Another bad decision by AS....stay tuned to find out. It is more and more obvious why no one wants him for a HC position.

beavis
02-18-2006, 12:10 PM
Nobody forced him to leave from here. Another bad decision by AS....stay tuned to find out. It is more and more obvious why no one wants him for a HC position.
Yeah I guess that's true. I mean, why wouldn't he want to stay and work for the asshat that's passed him over twice now. That's obviously why no one wants him. :rolleyes:

Mr. Laz
02-18-2006, 12:24 PM
ok mr. homer

why is it "more and more obvious why no one wants him?"

Frankie
02-18-2006, 01:21 PM
Hey a lot of cap relief is coming their way when Sean Taylor is behind bars.

Frankie
02-18-2006, 01:24 PM
Nobody forced him to leave from here.
You have inside information, right?

Another bad decision by AS....stay tuned to find out. It is more and more obvious why no one wants him for a HC position.
How is this related to the topic?

Frankie
02-18-2006, 01:25 PM
I'm starting the Patrick Ramsey to the Chiefs bandwagon. Join up everyone.