PDA

View Full Version : Brian Jonestown Massacre?

NewChief
02-22-2006, 08:48 AM
Alright, I finally got around to watchign Dig, which is awesome if you haven't seen it. My question is: just how big was the BJM? They make it sound like there was a lot of industry hype surrounding the band, but I'd never even heard of them. I confess that I like the music pretty well, and I've even downloaded some of the albums from their website (though I've got to get a different audio player to play .ogg files).

I was just curious if anyone had ever heard of this band prior to the movie.

phisherman
02-22-2006, 10:00 AM
they were never very big...indie darlings at best...

just by seeing the movie you should be able to tell why they were never big, newcombe was a freakin' disaster

the guy could write very powerful music, but man, the drugs just ruined him, well, that and his massive ego

great movie though

bp

AZORChiefFan
02-22-2006, 02:12 PM
I saw them a long time ago at the Bottleneck or Grand Emporium. Indie darlings describes them perfectly. My friends are really into them so I got them Dig last year. I haven't seen it yet I may have to acquire a copy.

NewChief
02-22-2006, 02:15 PM
I saw them a long time ago at the Bottleneck or Grand Emporium. Indie darlings describes them perfectly. My friends are really into them so I got them Dig last year. I haven't seen it yet I may have to acquire a copy.

Dig is awesome. In perusing some websites since, though, there appears to be a lot of inconsistency and suspension of truth to make for a better story. It's still a great movie, though.

Fearless Freaks (about the Flaming Lips) is also well worth watching.

patteeu
08-21-2007, 08:07 PM
Apparently, based on the responses to this thread, not very big. I'd heard of them (cool name) but I'd never heard any of their music. I rented Dig at blockbuster a month or so ago and remembered this thread. The movie was very good.

I downloaded several of their albums and I've been listening to them regularly since then. They made some really captivating music. :thumb: