PDA

View Full Version : Wireless router recommendations?

Lzen
02-22-2006, 09:43 AM
I originally had a D-link DI504 router. The D-link was just fine for me until about 3 years ago when I really started to get into online gaming. The D-link had a *DMZ feature but, it didn't seem to work at all. The main problem was getting games to connect. For instance, I couldn't get Madden to connect to any other players. D-link's tech support didn't even know what a DMZ was. :shake: After awhile of problems with the D-link router, I decided it was time for something different.

I upgraded to a wireless Xterrasys 2405B router. Yeah, this was a fairly cheap router and I knew I was taking a chance. However, when I first got the thing about 1 1/2 years or so ago, it seemed to do the trick. Setting up my PS2 through the DMZ enabled me to connect and host games on Madden and Call Of Duty: Finest Hour.

Most recently, however, the DMZ has not been acting properly. I can't host games on Madden 06 PC or Call Of Duty: The Big Red One on the PS2. Additionally, I can't even connect to over half the games on Call Of Duty: The Big Red One. That brings me to my new dilemma...Which router should I buy that will work for online gaming applications?

I have been looking at the D-link DI-524 & DI-624 or the Linksys WRT54G. What do you guys think of these? Or do you have any other recommendations? And please don't suggest the D-link DGL 4300. I know it's supposed to be a great router for gamers but at a price of $125, it's way more than I want to spend on a router.

*For those that don't know, a DMZ is supposed to allow whatever device (PC, gaming console, etc.) it's setup for to be completely open to the internet.

Phobia
02-22-2006, 09:49 AM
I'm not a gamer but Linksys has never done me wrong. They're a Cisco company now and Cisco is a world leader in Router technology.

Dartgod
02-22-2006, 09:51 AM
Are you running a game server?

I have a Motorola wireless router and do some online gaming (Counter-Strike, Call of Duty, Wolfenstein) and have no issues. I've never messed with the DMZ settings at all. I'm assuming that if you need to, you must be running a game server.

Lzen
02-22-2006, 09:55 AM
Are you running a game server?

I have a Motorola wireless router and do some online gaming (Counter-Strike, Call of Duty, Wolfenstein) and have no issues. I've never messed with the DMZ settings at all. I'm assuming that if you need to, you must be running a game server.

No, not a game server. I just need to be able to host IP to IP games and/or hook up to other hosts.

Lzen
02-22-2006, 09:56 AM
BTW Dartgod, I assume the Call of Duty you're playing is the PC version, correct? I'm not sure if it's any different for the PS2. I wouldn't think so. What model is your Moto?

phisherman
02-22-2006, 10:03 AM
i know that people say that linksys is the way to go, but i have to disagree...

when i was doing tech stuff for people on the side, we had more range issues w/ linksys routers that anything...i will stand by their cards all day long, but even their wireless G routers in my experience have had sub-par range...

i have a netgear WGR614, and i can sit in my driveway and get 100% signal

bp

ChiefsfaninPA
02-22-2006, 10:17 AM
I have a Belkin router (not sure what model number, I am at work) but it comes configured for running games. I paid 50 bucks for it but after rebate it was 9.99. It is the best feature on it, you can scroll through a premade list and it opens the ports just for gaming.

Lzen
02-22-2006, 10:23 AM
i know that people say that linksys is the way to go, but i have to disagree...

when i was doing tech stuff for people on the side, we had more range issues w/ linksys routers that anything...i will stand by their cards all day long, but even their wireless G routers in my experience have had sub-par range...

i have a netgear WGR614, and i can sit in my driveway and get 100% signal

bp

That router is the right price. Does it handle online gaming well?

Lzen
02-22-2006, 10:23 AM
I have a Belkin router (not sure what model number, I am at work) but it comes configured for running games. I paid 50 bucks for it but after rebate it was 9.99. It is the best feature on it, you can scroll through a premade list and it opens the ports just for gaming.

Can you post the model number when you get home?

SLAG
02-22-2006, 10:26 AM
ive got the DI-524 at home.

Works like a Champ No Complaints.

Easy setu... Durable I have dropped it many many times.

Good buy

Lzen
02-22-2006, 10:37 AM
ive got the DI-524 at home.

Works like a Champ No Complaints.

Easy setu... Durable I have dropped it many many times.

Good buy

Do you game online at all? My FIL has this model (I'm pretty sure it's the DI524). Maybe I'll borrow his to try it out. :)

SLAG
02-22-2006, 10:48 AM
Do you game online at all? My FIL has this model (I'm pretty sure it's the DI524). Maybe I'll borrow his to try it out. :)

Yes i do

I have also had to Open Ports to allow Some people to View some streaming video- it was a Windy October "Friday Night" Under the Lights in Florida-

anyway

I have never had any trouble.

So i do Reccomend it

Lzen
02-22-2006, 10:51 AM
Yes i do

I have also had to Open Ports to allow Some people to View some streaming video- it was a Windy October "Friday Night" Under the Lights in Florida-

anyway

I have never had any trouble.

So i do Reccomend it

Cool, thanks for the info. I'll definitely be borrowing my FIL's router to try it. :)

htismaqe
02-22-2006, 10:53 AM
Any router/firewall that allows inbound port address translation will work just fine...

ChiefsfaninPA
02-22-2006, 10:53 AM
Can you post the model number when you get home?

It is a Belkin F5D7203-4(model number)Wireless G router.

Dartgod
02-22-2006, 11:04 AM
BTW Dartgod, I assume the Call of Duty you're playing is the PC version, correct? I'm not sure if it's any different for the PS2. I wouldn't think so. What model is your Moto?
Yeah, PC version. Sounds like you're playing peer to peer, so I suppose some additional configuration is necessary. I just connect to a gaming server from a list inside the application and away I go. I've never had to configure for a DMZ.

I believe mine is a WR850GP. Here is Motorola's page on it.

http://broadband.motorola.com/consumers/products/wr850gp/

Lzen
02-22-2006, 11:42 AM
Yeah, PC version. Sounds like you're playing peer to peer, so I suppose some additional configuration is necessary. I just connect to a gaming server from a list inside the application and away I go. I've never had to configure for a DMZ.

I believe mine is a WR850GP. Here is Motorola's page on it.

http://broadband.motorola.com/consumers/products/wr850gp/

I used to play Madden (03-04) in the PS2 and you would connect to their server to see who to connect to. But I think it was actual peer to peer as far as the gameplay. Now, I play it on the PC and it is direct IP to IP. My current router has a Special Application section that is supposed to help with that (as far as opening ports) but it didn't help. Nor does the DMZ.

COD is supposed to be through a server but, it will say couldn't connect to host or couldn't connect to another player in the game. I'm not sure what to do to get around that. All I know is that I want a router that doesn't block online gaming like that.

btlook1
02-22-2006, 12:11 PM
I had a netgear 614 and it had nothing but problems connecting to gaming stuff. After looking up the 614 there's a lot of problems with gaming with that router check message boards they will tell you. Changed to a d-link 524 and everything is good. Currently playing battlefield2, starcraft,quake 3 and warcraft it's all good with this router. Good luck!

Lzen
02-22-2006, 05:57 PM
Anyone know how to setup this Dlink DI 524 to play the PS2 through it. Or to connect games peer to peer? I've got one here and the DMZ doesn't seem to do the trick. Any ideas?

unlurking
02-22-2006, 06:10 PM
I had a Motorola all in one unit (FW, coax, wireless, rj-45, print server, etc.), thing was nothing but problems. Bought it when we moved into our new house to try and "simplify" my networking (dropping a Raptor FW and a CP firewall). Worst move I ever made. Most of those units are crap and their firewalls are pure shit (can't customize worth a damn).

Finally said screw it, and bought bargain basement wireless AP with bridging (no router) and now things work perfectly all the time. There are also very cheap (around $100) highly configurable firewall appliances out there. Made a world of difference for reliability and gaming.

SLAG
02-22-2006, 06:37 PM
Anyone know how to setup this Dlink DI 524 to play the PS2 through it. Or to connect games peer to peer? I've got one here and the DMZ doesn't seem to do the trick. Any ideas?
I never had to use any special settings to allow the PS2 to play

Lzen
02-22-2006, 07:55 PM
Ok, I got Call of Duty to finally work with the virtual server. I didn't realize that I needed to use the virtual server and open ports. Now to test out Madden.

Lzen
02-22-2006, 08:25 PM
Success!! The Dlink DI 524 allowed me to setup virtual servers to open ports and I was able to host a game of Madden. Thanks gochiefs, for helping me test that out. That's enough for me. I'm buying that Dlink DI 524

Lzen
02-22-2006, 08:28 PM
Actually, I should clarify. For single ports, I used the virtual server. For ranges of ports, I had to go into the firewall menu and set the firewall rules. The Dlink support page on their website walked me through it. :thumb:

Ari Chi3fs
02-22-2006, 09:04 PM
I have a DI-524... I dont do online gaming though, so I cant help you out.

SLAG
02-22-2006, 10:19 PM
DI-524 USERS UNITE!!