PDA

View Full Version : Vince Young scores a whopping 6 on the Wonderlic

4th and Long
02-26-2006, 09:36 AM
Found on another board.

VINCE IS STOOPID?

A league source tells us that there's a rumor making the rounds at the combine that Texas quarterback Vince Young scored a miserably horrible six on the Wonderlic test.

A six! That's bad. It's beyond bad. In fact, it's the lowest score that we can ever remember hearing anyone getting.

All incoming NFL players take a 50-question version of the Wonderlic, with a 12-minute window within which to finish it.

We found 15 sample Wonderlic questions on ESPN.com's page 2, including such brain-benders as selecting the ninth month of the year from among five possible choices. We'd like to think that most people of average intelligence could get at least six of the 15 sample questions right.

Getting a total of only six out of a total of 50 questions of that same kind is pa-freakin'-thetic. For a guy who's going to be called upon to read defenses and call audibles and work through a progression of receivers against NFL-caliber opposition, it's downright scary.

The source tells us that he hasn't seen the result in writing yet, but that he's "99 percent" certain that Young's score was six.

Said the source, who knows a thing or two about evaluating college players:

"I predict he'll fall all the way out of the first round."

That's a bold statement, and we're not saying that we agree with it -- primarily because our guess is that there's someone almost dumb enough to get a six on the Wonderlic, who'll overlook Young's low score along with any other concerns that might come to light over the next two months.

VINCE'S PICK-SIX IS CONFIRMED

We've confirmed that Texas quarterback Vince Young has indeed scored a measly six on the Wonderlic test, administered annually to the potential members of the draft class at the scouting combine.

Said one league insider, "It's also the number of the round he'll be drafted in."

There's a significant buzz in Indy regarding the ridiculously low marks. Though we're not quite sure that there's much of a correlation between book smarts and football ability, we've got a feeling that, of all positions, quarterback is the one that requires at least some basic cognitive ability.

Unless, of course, the offense consists of making one read and then pulling the ball down and running -- which is the very approach the team that drafts Young might have to employ.

Though the suggestion that Young will last until round six is an exaggeration, the thinking is that he lost millions of dollars via his poor performance on the test, and that it's now a virtual certainty that Vanderbilt quarterback Jay Cutler will pass him in round one.

Braincase
02-26-2006, 09:37 AM
Michael Bishop redux.

Bearcat
02-26-2006, 09:45 AM
because our guess is that there's someone almost dumb enough to get a six on the Wonderlic, who'll overlook Young's low score

ROFL

DaKCMan AP
02-26-2006, 09:49 AM
A six! That's bad. It's beyond bad. In fact, it's the lowest score that we can ever remember hearing anyone getting.

maybe for a qb, but I remember some D-lineman and CBs who scored lower.

JBucc
02-26-2006, 09:50 AM
wheha!

Bob Dole
02-26-2006, 10:13 AM
FWIW, this page was updated yesterday and ignores mentioning Young or Leinart's Wonderlic scores (but mentions Cutler's 26).

http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=404299

58-4ever
02-26-2006, 10:19 AM
FWIW, this page was updated yesterday and ignores mentioning Young or Leinart's Wonderlic scores (but mentions Cutler's 26).

http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=404299

This site didn't even spell some of the players names right. Who the hell is David Joseph? There was nobody by that name played for OU.

Saulbadguy
02-26-2006, 10:41 AM
He's a Texan. Did you expect any better?

Bob Dole
02-26-2006, 10:44 AM
This site didn't even spell some of the players names right. Who the hell is David Joseph? There was nobody by that name played for OU.

Bob Dole didn't bother to do anything but search for a source of Wonderlic scores and scan through the results in an attempt to find some verification for the report. It wasn't meant as an endorsement of the site.

gblowfish
02-26-2006, 10:46 AM
Maybe Vince Young would fit in here. Accocrding to this story, posted in October 2005, The Chiefs are the Third Dumbest team in the NFL behind Arizona and Green Bay:

http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=360178

stevieray
02-26-2006, 10:56 AM
Our school system is a joke.

I think's its more embarassing for the school than the player. Tons of kids who want to learn passed over for a Dumbass who plays football.

Cochise
02-26-2006, 11:17 AM
I was looking through a website once, and I thought I remembered the lowest score in all the years they had compiled was Frank Gore, and he had like an 8.

A 6... Is that like getting a 10 on the ACT?

4th and Long
02-26-2006, 11:22 AM
Average scores for NFL players by position:

Offensive tackles: 26
Centers: 25
Quarterbacks: 24
Guards: 23
Tight Ends: 22
Safeties: 19
Middle linebackers: 19
Cornerbacks: 18
Wide receivers: 17
Fullbacks: 17
Halfbacks: 16

The average scores in other professions look like this:

Chemist: 31
Programmer: 29
Newswriter: 26
Sales: 24
Bank teller: 22
Clerical Worker: 21
Security Guard: 17
Warehouse: 15

4th and Long
02-26-2006, 11:33 AM
Only one person in 100,000 scores a perfect 50. The only NFL player to do it was former Cincinnati Bengals punter and Harvard grad Pat McInally, which explains why he chose to be a punter and not, say, a punt returner.

The average score for an NFL prospect is 19. The average score overall -- hundreds of corporations use the Wonderlic -- is 21. Iowa State running back Darren Davis reportedly scored a 4.

Teams aren't supposed to release the scores, but they're usually leaked anyway. Among quarterbacks Brian Griese is said to have scored a 39, Eli Manning 39, Drew Bledsoe 37, Steve Young 33, John Elway 30, Troy Aikman 29, Cade McNown 28, Mark Brunell 22, Tim Couch 22, Trent Dilfer 22, Brett Favre 22, Daunte Culpepper 21, Vinny Testaverde 18, Dan Marino 16, Randall Cunningham 15 and Jeff George 10.

Kicker Sebastian Janikowski reportedly got a 9, though he offered $500 to the test proctor to give him a 10. (Kidding.)

Florida quarterback Jesse Palmer is said to have scored a 32, and TCU star running back LaDainian Tomlinson only had a 13.

On the Wonderlic scale, a score of 21 or higher is considered average intelligence or above. Scores between 14 and 21 are considered equivalent to an unskilled laborer. Anything under 14 is....well, not good. The average score for NFL players since the test's inception is 19. Anytime your Wonderlic approaches your cleat size, it's not good.

I've read that many players coming out of college suck on the Wonderlic because the questions aren't relevant. Some say the questions need to be along the lines of ...

You signed your contract last Thursday. Ethically, you can ask to renegotiate
a) when it expires,
b) after a big year,
c) the Tuesday after next.

If Ray Lewis is in a Humvee limo going 95 mph and Rae Carruth is in a Toyota going 105, how high will Court TV's ratings go?

Paul Tagliabue is
a) the NFL commissioner,
b) dead,
c) a and b.

jAZ
02-26-2006, 11:34 AM
I thought the max on the ACT was 36. If so, wouldn't that make it more like a 4 on the ACT?

Ultra Peanut
02-26-2006, 11:34 AM
OH MY GOD.

SNR
02-26-2006, 11:42 AM
Isn't Greg Wesley a dumbass too? Didn't he get like a 10 on that test or something?

JBucc
02-26-2006, 11:50 AM
I took that sample one and got a 36.

Skip Towne
02-26-2006, 11:51 AM
Dam! Thes peuple is stoopid!

SNR
02-26-2006, 12:02 PM
Vince our and idiot

Ari Chi3fs
02-26-2006, 12:03 PM
I took one for my job about a month ago... answered 44 questions out of 50... and got 38 correct. They about shit their pants, when they realized what a genious I are.

the Talking Can
02-26-2006, 12:14 PM
so he's twice as smart as Ron Mexico....

Frazod
02-26-2006, 12:16 PM
Wow. That's dumb.

Dumbest guy I ever personally knew was a guy I went to high school with - nice guy, but dumb as a box of shit. He scored a 31 on the ASVAB (military entrance exam) and had to get a waiver to join the Marines, who required a minimum score of 35 (and we're talking percentages here). They did let him in, and while I lost touch with him years ago, I'm sure he made a fine Marine. :D

Of course, 6 out of 50 would translate into a 12 on the ASVAB. Wow. Gump would have scored higher than that.

4th and Long
02-26-2006, 12:18 PM
Wow. Gump would have scored higher than that.
Jenny is going to kick your ass for that.

Frazod
02-26-2006, 12:20 PM
Jenny is going to kick your ass for that.

Run Forrest run! ROFL

mikey23545
02-26-2006, 12:28 PM
I took one for my job about a month ago... answered 44 questions out of 50... and got 38 correct. They about shit their pants, when they realized what a genious I are.

I have only applied for one job where they gave that test.

I only had one incorrect answer - the last question on the test, because I ran out of time before I could answer it. :)

chubychecker
02-26-2006, 01:03 PM
Makes you wonder if he at all took the test seriously. A six is a horrible score. You could expect to get that just by chance of guessing a few correctly. He is fairly well-spoken, while he's no Trent Green, he's no Michael Bishop or for that matter even Mike Vick. I hope for his sake that he is smarter than this illustrates. Even though I hate the horns' he seems like a good kid.

alanm
02-26-2006, 01:19 PM
Published Saturday
February 25, 2006

Some say Young could be 'deja Vick'

BY PAUL DOMOWITCH

PHILADELPHIA DAILY NEWS

Five years ago, the Atlanta Falcons made one of the boldest moves in their history, swapping three draft picks and a player to the San Diego Chargers for the top pick in the 2001 draft. They used it to select quarterback Michael Vick.

The Falcons knew Vick had thrown fewer than 400 passes at Virginia Tech. They knew he had a strong but wildly inaccurate arm. And they knew it was going to be a painfully slow process educating him on the complexities of NFL coverage schemes.

But they were seduced by his incredible athleticism and felt his speed and Houdini-like elusiveness would be ample enough offensive ammunition while they waited for him to develop as a quarterback.

Five years later, the Falcons still are waiting for Vick to develop. Five years later, he still is averaging more yards running the football (6.9) than throwing it (6.7). Five years later, he has yet to complete better than 56.4 percent of his passes in a season, or throw more than 16 touchdowns.

And now, along comes Vince Young, and a lot of NFL scouts and draft analysts are wondering whether the University of Texas quarterback is deja Vick.

The predraft evaluation of Young began in earnest Friday when he and more than 300 other top draft prospects descended on Indianapolis for the league's annual scouting combine.

Scouts are saying many of the same things about Young they were saying about Vick five years ago: off-the-charts athleticism; jaw-dropping running ability that helped him rack up 3,136 rushing yards at Texas, including 200 of his 467 yards in the Longhorns' 41-38 Rose Bowl win over USC. But the $10 million or $20 million question is can he cut it as an NFL passer?

Like Vick when he came out, Young, an early-entry junior, still is very raw. He averaged only seven more pass attempts per game (19.4) than rush attempts (12.4) during his career at Texas. Coach Mack Brown's offense was a poor preparatory course for what is awaiting Young at the next level.

"If you accept the principle that to be successful at a high level in the NFL you need a quarterback who can be an effective passer rather than a runner, then you've got to look at (Young) and ask yourself, 'Is he ever going to be anything more than a glorified Michael Vick?' " said Mike Mayock, chief draft analyst for the NFL Network.

"There definitely is some worry because of (Vick's struggles)," said an AFC player personnel man for a team with a top-10 pick in April's draft. "If Young had come out a year or two earlier when Vick was the hottest thing since sliced bread, (the comparison to Vick) would've been a good thing for him. But now, it's a negative."

Vick finished 25th in the league in passer rating (73.1), 29th in completion percentage (.553), 26th in yards per attempt (6.23) and 25th in interception rate (3.4 percent) last season. In a recent interview with the Atlanta Journal-Constitution, Vick admitted to being "a little lost right now" in the Falcons' offense.

Even though he played in 15 more games and threw 358 more passes at Texas than Vick did at Virginia Tech before coming out, there is universal agreement among scouts and analysts that Young would have been better served staying in Austin for his final year of eligibility.

"I'd feel a lot better if he had stayed in college another year," said ESPN analyst Ron Jaworski. "I would love to evaluate him with another year of (college) seasoning under his belt.

"When I look at Vince, this guy is an absolutely phenomenal collegiate quarterback. Maybe as good as I've seen play the position at the collegiate level. But his style doesn't project for success in the NFL. To be successful and consistent over the long term in the NFL, you've got to be able to throw the football accurately and you've got to be mechanically and fundamentally sound. I don't see that in him right now."

During his three seasons at Texas, Young made steady improvement as a passer. Both his completion percentage and his touchdown-to-interception ratio got better each year. He's a little more accurate than Vick was coming out of college, but his arm isn't nearly as strong. He also has a funky sidearm delivery that negates his 6-foot-5 height. While the team that drafts him can correct that, scouts weren't thrilled recently when Young was quoted as saying he doesn't plan to change his mechanics or his delivery when he gets to the NFL. His decision not to throw at the combine also has caused some consternation among teams.

"I think that's an absolutely huge mistake on his part," Jaworski said. "That would scare me if I'm a GM or a personnel guy. The first thing I would wonder is, what's he afraid of?"

Said the NFL Network's Mayock: "I'm seeing more and more people who are sitting there and getting nervous about whether or not they can invest that kind of (high) draft pick and those kind of (signing bonus) dollars against the unknown of what he can become as a passer."

All of that said, even Young's harshest critics are fairly certain he'll end up being a top-five selection. He and USC's Matt Leinart are expected to be the first two quarterbacks taken.

"In today's game, there's such a dearth of good quarterbacks," Jaworski said. "I think there will be a team that will say, 'Hey, he's got tremendous God-given talent. We've got a good coaching staff. We can work with him and make him a star.'"

Said an NFC pro personnel man: "There'd be a much bigger comfort level with Young if he had played in a pro-style offense. But guys come out of different settings and do fine. If he convinces people in the interviews and the testing that he's smart enough, that won't scare people. They'll figure they can help him figure it out as he goes along. They'll give him a lot of blackboard work, a lot of video work before the draft."

Mayock believes the adjustment from a college option offense to the NFL is going to be extremely difficult for Young, just like it was and still is for Vick.

"The most disturbing thing I read was a quote from Mack Brown where he said when he finally stopped trying to push multiple reads on (Young), that's when his natural athletic ability came out," he said. "In other words, Mack Brown stopped coaching the kid, and that's when he became a better player. And while that's probably true, it would scare the heck out of me if I'm an NFL head coach or offensive coordinator. Because I'm going to demand that he learn his progressions and go through them. Because that's how he's going to get me to a Super Bowl. That's how he's going to become a better quarterback."

It's easier to teach some guys that than others. Steve Young learned. Donovan McNabb learned. Vick hasn't. He still takes off at the first sign of trouble, real or imagined. The next time he looks for his fourth read will be the first.

Only time will tell whether Vince Young will learn. He ran the ball a lot more at Texas than Vick did at Virginia Tech. Young rushed for 1,000 yards in each of his last two seasons.

"Like most kids with a run-first mentality, when that internal clock goes off in the pocket, whether the pocket has broken down or not, he's looking to get out of the gate," Mayock said.

Contact the Omaha World-Herald newsroom

Copyright ©2006 Omaha World-Herald®. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, displayed or distributed for any purpose without permission from the Omaha World-Herald.

http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_pg=38&u_sid=2123311

alanm
02-26-2006, 01:22 PM
Making the decision not to throw at the combine pretty much backs up his wonderlic score of 6. ROFL
Either that or he should fire his agent quick. The dude is dropping like a rock.

CHIEF4EVER
02-26-2006, 01:31 PM
Questioner: "Vince, please spell schedule".

Young: "Oh, dat's easy....S-C-H-E-D-U-L-E.

Questioner: "OK Vince, now use it in a sentence".

Young: "Dat's easy too. I BET IF YOU SAW A GHOST, IT SCHED-ULE SO BAD YOU POOPED YO BRITCHES".

DMAC
02-26-2006, 01:53 PM
to get a 6, he would have only have got one of these right...wow.

But this is just a sample, Not the 50 question.
http://www.angelfire.com/fl3/existence/wonderlic.html

4th and Long
02-26-2006, 02:09 PM
to get a 6, he would have only have got one of these right...wow.

But this is just a sample, Not the 50 question.
http://www.angelfire.com/fl3/existence/wonderlic.html
The Wonderlic has to be harder than those 9 questions, ... doesn't it?

Bwana
02-26-2006, 02:14 PM
Pet Rock = Smarter.

DMAC
02-26-2006, 02:15 PM
All I can say is, I hope so.

Demonpenz
02-26-2006, 02:17 PM
If you picked all b's you would get a higher score. It said mcnabb learned in this article. I haven't seen mcnabb run at all when he wasn't hurt. I liked it better when he would run alittle bit.

Bearcat
02-26-2006, 02:22 PM

I've taken it during the interview process a couple of times, and while I think they picked some of the easiest questions, the hard ones aren't terribly difficult.

Time is supposed to be a factor... one manager I talked to said most people he's interviewed answer around 40-42 and get 35-40 right. It all depends on if you can do some of the math in your head or you need to write it out... some are along the lines of "you buy so many yards of product and sell it for this price... how much profit do you you receive per foot" or "you sell a product for $2.40/dozen.. how much do 30 cost?". ...but the numbers they give you come out to whole numbers, so again, not that hard.

Bearcat
02-26-2006, 02:30 PM
Here you go.... these would be the "harder" questions.

http://espn.go.com/page2/s/closer/020228test.html

Paper sells for 21 cents per pad. What will four pads cost?

A train travels 20 feet in 1/5 second. At this same speed, how many feet will it travel in three seconds?

8. When rope is selling at $.10 a foot, how many feet can you buy for sixty cents?

In printing an article of 48,000 words, a printer decides to use two sizes of type. Using the larger type, a printed page contains 1,800 words. Using smaller type, a page contains 2,400 words. The article is allotted 21 full pages in a magazine. How many pages must be in smaller type?

Three individuals form a partnership and agree to divide the profits equally. X invests $9,000, Y invests $7,000, Z invests $4,000. If the profits are $4,800, how much less does X receive than if the profits were divided in proportion to the amount invested?

A boy is 17 years old and his sister is twice as old. When the boy is 23 years old, what will be the age of his sister? (okay, this one isn't hard... but there's a funny story behind it that makes me think some people get it wrong ;) )

Rain Man
02-26-2006, 02:34 PM
I was looking through a website once, and I thought I remembered the lowest score in all the years they had compiled was Frank Gore, and he had like an 8.

Unless they've changed the scoring system, I remember reading that Neil Smith got a 4 (shocker! Pick yourself up off the floor!), and that Bennie Blades, a safety for the Lions who was taken with the very next pick after Neil, scored a 3.

dj56dt58
02-26-2006, 02:46 PM
IF KC, Washington, and Cincinatti were the dumber teams, and Oakland, tennessee, and St Louis were the smarter teams, I say draft Vince Young and get dumber!

Cochise
02-26-2006, 03:11 PM
Unless they've changed the scoring system, I remember reading that Neil Smith got a 4 (shocker! Pick yourself up off the floor!), and that Bennie Blades, a safety for the Lions who was taken with the very next pick after Neil, scored a 3.

It seems like that site only went back a few years, so I don't doubt it.

On the topic of Young, he didn't throw at the combine because he had nothing to gain by performing well, he was already as high on the board as he was going to get. Too bad he didn't decline the wonderlic too.

Mecca
02-26-2006, 04:44 PM

In fairness to Gore, he has serious learning disabilities.

Mecca
02-26-2006, 04:45 PM
Making the decision not to throw at the combine pretty much backs up his wonderlic score of 6. ROFL
Either that or he should fire his agent quick. The dude is dropping like a rock.

He's not throwing because he can't make the throws they'd want to see him make. ESPN showed the college football skills competition and Young was so far off with every throw he was making. It was probably a good idea for him not to throw, he'd only hurt himself.

Bowser
02-26-2006, 04:46 PM
Vince Young = Bobby Newcombe.

:D

KcMizzou
02-26-2006, 04:50 PM
Holy crap, Mecca. That avatar ith thimply fabulous.

4th and Long
02-26-2006, 04:55 PM
Are you thaying iths thuper!?

Mecca
02-26-2006, 04:55 PM

Hating on USC huh...........or a thinly veiled attempt at a joke that's not very funny.

4th and Long
02-26-2006, 04:56 PM
Hating on USC huh...........or a thinly veiled attempt at a joke that's not very funny.
No ... it was funny. ROFL

JBucc
02-26-2006, 04:56 PM
He's not throwing because he can't make the throws they'd want to see him make. ESPN showed the college football skills competition and Young was so far off with every throw he was making. It was probably a good idea for him not to throw, he'd only hurt himself.I saw that as well. Oddly he was the only QB to make the long throw into the basket and hit the dot on the obstacle course. I think he needs to run to throw well.

Bob Dole
02-26-2006, 05:07 PM
It was probably a good idea for him not to throw, he'd only hurt himself.

Good point.

It would be hard for him to look any better than he did going 30 for 40 with no INTs against your beloved Trojans.

Mecca
02-26-2006, 05:11 PM
Good point.

It would be hard for him to look any better than he did going 30 for 40 with no INTs against your beloved Trojans.

When they run the spread option and the QB running around and throwing flip floaters is the thing in the NFL then Vince Young will be good. Till then, he's still a WR in my eyes.

ferrarispider95
02-26-2006, 05:12 PM

Apparently a qb with a wonderlic of 6, and apparently can't hit a target, can beat the usc

usc=overrated

alanm
He's not throwing because he can't make the throws they'd want to see him make. ESPN showed the college football skills competition and Young was so far off with every throw he was making. It was probably a good idea for him not to throw, he'd only hurt himself.
He hurts himself more by not throwing. Besides he'll have to throw at Texas's pro day. He'll be found out anyway by then. I see a safety position looming for Young. ROFL

4th and Long
When they run the spread option and the QB running around and throwing flip floaters is the thing in the NFL then Vince Young will be good. Till then, he's still a WR in my eyes.
Those little, flip floaters as you call them, were enough to beat USC.

Thig Lyfe
02-26-2006, 05:13 PM
Only one person in 100,000 scores a perfect 50. The only NFL player to do it was former Cincinnati Bengals punter and Harvard grad Pat McInally, which explains why he chose to be a punter and not, say, a punt returner.

The average score for an NFL prospect is 19. The average score overall -- hundreds of corporations use the Wonderlic -- is 21. Iowa State running back Darren Davis reportedly scored a 4.

Teams aren't supposed to release the scores, but they're usually leaked anyway. Among quarterbacks Brian Griese is said to have scored a 39, Eli Manning 39, Drew Bledsoe 37, Steve Young 33, John Elway 30, Troy Aikman 29, Cade McNown 28, Mark Brunell 22, Tim Couch 22, Trent Dilfer 22, Brett Favre 22, Daunte Culpepper 21, Vinny Testaverde 18, Dan Marino 16, Randall Cunningham 15 and Jeff George 10.

Kicker Sebastian Janikowski reportedly got a 9, though he offered $500 to the test proctor to give him a 10. (Kidding.)

Florida quarterback Jesse Palmer is said to have scored a 32, and TCU star running back LaDainian Tomlinson only had a 13.

On the Wonderlic scale, a score of 21 or higher is considered average intelligence or above. Scores between 14 and 21 are considered equivalent to an unskilled laborer. Anything under 14 is....well, not good. The average score for NFL players since the test's inception is 19. Anytime your Wonderlic approaches your cleat size, it's not good.

I've read that many players coming out of college suck on the Wonderlic because the questions aren't relevant. Some say the questions need to be along the lines of ...

You signed your contract last Thursday. Ethically, you can ask to renegotiate
a) when it expires,
b) after a big year,
c) the Tuesday after next.

If Ray Lewis is in a Humvee limo going 95 mph and Rae Carruth is in a Toyota going 105, how high will Court TV's ratings go?

Paul Tagliabue is
a) the NFL commissioner,
b) dead,
c) a and b.

That's a Rick Reilly column...

4th and Long
02-26-2006, 05:14 PM
That's a Rick Reilly column...
It's actually 2 columns combined into one. Shows what you know. :p

alanm
02-26-2006, 05:15 PM
Vince Young = Bobby Newcombe.

:D
How so? Newcombe ended up at slotback at Nebraska when Crouch beat him out and then quit the team. Besides he was never the same after he tore up his knee. :shake:

Mecca
02-26-2006, 05:16 PM
Apparently a qb with a wonderlic of 6, and apparently can't hit a target, can beat the usc

usc=overrated

That's what happens when you have a beat up secondary and true freshman starting. Young won the game with his legs, he was a great college player. I stress college player.

Bob Dole
02-26-2006, 05:17 PM

Oh that's right. Vince is the one with questionable arm strength.

Nevermind.

Saulbadguy
02-26-2006, 05:20 PM
COMBINE OFFICIAL SCREWED UP VINCE'S WONDERLIC

A league source tells us that Texas quarterback Vince Young indeed scored a six on the Wonderlic test on Saturday -- but that the guy who graded the test screwed the thing up when totaling the number of right answers.

Combine officials, we're told, have re-scored the Young's test and the test of all other players who took it in his group. NFL teams will get the official Wonderlic results for all players later in the week.

On Saturday, there was widespread chatter at the combine that Young got only six out of 50 questions right on the standard test used by the NFL to gauge player intelligence. The Nashville Tennessean corroborated the reports of the low score in its Sunday edition.

Whether the actual number was 6 or 50 or something in between remains to be seen.

It's a major embarrassment, in our view, for the folks who put on the combine. Because it's inevitable that this information will get out (indeed, Pro Football Weekly got their mitts on the full Wonderlic results from the 2005 combine), it's critical that the folks charged with grading the tests get it right.

It's even more important that the scores are right before the information is leaked.

We have a feeling that this one could get interesting. Stay tuned.

4th and Long
02-26-2006, 05:23 PM

A league source tells us that Texas quarterback Vince Young indeed scored a six on the Wonderlic test on Saturday -- but that the guy who graded the test screwed the thing up when totaling the number of right answers.

Combine officials, we're told, have re-scored the Young's test and the test of all other players who took it in his group. NFL teams will get the official Wonderlic results for all players later in the week.

On Saturday, there was widespread chatter at the combine that Young got only six out of 50 questions right on the standard test used by the NFL to gauge player intelligence. The Nashville Tennessean corroborated the reports of the low score in its Sunday edition.

Whether the actual number was 6 or 50 or something in between remains to be seen.

It's a major embarrassment, in our view, for the folks who put on the combine. Because it's inevitable that this information will get out (indeed, Pro Football Weekly got their mitts on the full Wonderlic results from the 2005 combine), it's critical that the folks charged with grading the tests get it right.

It's even more important that the scores are right before the information is leaked.

We have a feeling that this one could get interesting. Stay tuned.
Whoopsie ...

Rain Man
02-26-2006, 05:23 PM
A scoring mistake would make sense, because Young seems to be pretty well-spoken. He certainly sounds reasonably intelligent (or at least average), for whatever that's worth.

Plus, he went to my alma mater of UT, which we all know produces not just great athletes, but great thinkers.

JBucc
02-26-2006, 05:24 PM

just as i suspected

Mecca
02-26-2006, 05:26 PM
Young's stock is still coming down. People aren't viewing him as the god they were after the Rose Bowl. People are taking the time to actually look at how he plays QB now.

KcMizzou
02-26-2006, 05:30 PM
Man, if that's true, (and they did scew it up) I'd be pissed.

Saulbadguy
02-26-2006, 05:33 PM
Young's stock is still coming down. People aren't viewing him as the god they were after the Rose Bowl. People are taking the time to actually look at how he plays QB now.
stfu homer.

Mecca
02-26-2006, 05:39 PM
stfu homer.

Alright if realising that the way Vince Young plays QB doesn't exactly fit the NFL mold is being a homer so be it.

Skip Towne
02-26-2006, 05:50 PM
A scoring mistake would make sense, because Young seems to be pretty well-spoken. He certainly sounds reasonably intelligent (or at least average), for whatever that's worth.

Plus, he went to my alma mater of UT, which we all know produces not just great athletes, but great thinkers.
.......like Ricky Williams.

Mr. Kotter
02-26-2006, 05:57 PM

I'm with you....he may not be Einstein, but his verbal abilities alone are suggestive of at least an average score......I can't imagine him doing what he's done on strictly athletic ability.

If he had played RB, or on Defense.....maybe. But not at QB of a Division I school.... :shake:

I'm convinced it's a mistake, or a bad, bad test....

Bob Dole
02-26-2006, 05:57 PM
Alright if realising that the way Vince Young plays QB doesn't exactly fit the NFL mold is being a homer so be it.

Bob Dole isn't aware of a time in Young's career when whether or not he'd make a good NFL QB has not been a question. It's not like people just now started noticing that he has an unorthodox throwing motion and tends to come off his reads too quickly and chooses to run.

But as your mighty USC Trojans can attest, there's not much question that Young is a leader on the field and can find ways to win games when it counts.

Bob Dole
02-26-2006, 05:58 PM
.......like Ricky Williams.

And Priest Anthony Holmes.

milkman
02-26-2006, 06:53 PM

Even if the person made a mistake totaling the number of right answers, how far off could he have been?

If he miscounted by more than one or two, then he has no business scoring the tests, since he's not likely to score as many as six himself.

Frazod
02-26-2006, 06:59 PM

I'm going to reserve judgment untilI see Young post a poll. :D

Bob Dole
02-26-2006, 06:59 PM
Even if the person made a mistake totaling the number of right answers, how far off could he have been?

If he miscounted by more than one or two, then he has no business scoring the tests, since he's not likely to score as many as six himself.

If it was scored with a standard "fill in the circle with a number 2 pencil" form overlay, the reported incorrect score won't necessarily have any correlation at all to the actual score.

Lord only knows why they're scoring the damned things manually to begin with.

Bob Dole imagines that we'll find out later that the individual scoring the thing was a USC alum.

Cochise
02-26-2006, 07:01 PM

Maybe the guy adding up the answers counted some of them twice.

BTAU
02-26-2006, 10:54 PM
FWIW

Texans | Casserly comments about Young's Wonderlic test
Sun, 26 Feb 2006 15:14:44 -0800

Houston Texans general manager Charley Casserly said at the NFL Combine Sunday, Feb. 26, he had heard about Texas QB Vince Young's score on the Wonderlic test. He also said he heard from a good source that the test results reported were inaccurate. "Yes, I have been told it was inaccurate, by a source good enough for me to stand up here and quote it. Otherwise I wouldn't get up here and just say it," said Casserly. He was asked how the test would impact the Texans opinion of Young and he replied, "Well, I can only speak for the Houston Texans. I can't speak for 31 other teams. I just said how we evaluate it. It doesn't make any difference what the test score is to us. We're going to go through the same evaluation. I could point to players that have high test scores but couldn't necessarily learn football. So you go through that process, and then we'll evaluate that player's ability to learn our system at the end of it."

ChiefsOne
02-27-2006, 02:34 PM
ESPN is reporting that he re-took the test and scored a 16.

Chiefnj
02-27-2006, 02:39 PM
Over the weekend I heard that Young was on a very short leash in college. It was said that he was horrible at reading defenses so they stopped asking him to do it. Instead every play was either: (a) a running play, or (b) a passing play where he was given two hot reads that were difficult not to miss and if the receivers were covered he was to immediately run. He wasn't asked to read D's, audible, check down past the top 2 receivers, etc.

Mecca
02-27-2006, 02:54 PM
16 nice score...........Matt Leinart meanwhile scored a 35.

Brock
02-27-2006, 03:20 PM
The source tells us that he hasn't seen the result in writing yet, but that he's "99 percent" certain that Young's score was six.

Said the source, who knows a thing or two about evaluating college players:

"I predict he'll fall all the way out of the first round."

Uh, oops.

Ultra Peanut
02-28-2006, 08:12 AM
16 nice score...........Matt Leinart meanwhile scored a 35.What was the score of their respective teams in the Rose Bowl?