PDA

View Full Version : Underappreciated monster drummers!

Nightwish
02-26-2006, 09:23 PM
Who is the best (in your opinion) drummer out there that never gets the credit they deserve.

*Warning: death to anyone who says Neil Peart or Mike Portnoy. They're monsters, but they're anything but underappreciated!

The one that came to mind tonight is Thomas "Thomen" Stauch. I've long been a Blind Guardian fan, but until tonight I've really never paid that close attention to his drumming. That man is a machine, a veritable computer! He's inhuman! You gotta have something extra upstairs to be able to keep up with the strange rhythms that guy comes up with.

Reaper16
02-26-2006, 10:20 PM
You know Stauch left BG last year, right? He joined up with the guitarist and singer from relatively unknown, but awesome, power metal band Persuader to form Savage Circus. SC plays music remeniscent of early-mid 90's BG. Traveller/Somewhere/Imaginations era BG. Pick up their debut "Dreamland Manor"

Reaper16
02-26-2006, 10:33 PM
Anyway, here's the answer to the thread. These guys pretty much can't be beat. Each of them is Portnoy's equal, and probably surpasses him.

Flo Mounier - Cryptopsy. He mans the kit for Cryptopsy, the Canadian technical Death Metal band. He's insane. Seriously, listen to his drumming on the record "None So Vile." Absolutely perfect.

David Haley - Psycroptic. He plays technical DM also, but his style differs from Flo's in that he is the most creative drummer on earth when it comes to symbol use. His stuff is mind blowing.

Martin Lopez - Opeth. He used to play for Amon Amarth, where his uber-impressive chops won him a job with Opeth. All you need to do is listen to the song "Deliverance," at about the 10 minute mark. You'll hear this ludicrously tight, heavy and syncopated section that involves double bass blasts, odd timing and repetitions of five and such. This is while the band is playing a counter melody to it, mind you. So he's playing this difficult off-time thing, but listen even closer. You'll hear him banging on a cymbol, keeping the band in 4/4 time! This HAS to require a thrid arm. Seriously, listen to this passage! Until I saw him play it on a DVD, and live in Lawrence, I was convinced he was a 3 armed drumming freak. Martin Lopez only has two arms, ladies and gents.

Tomas Corn - Lykathea Aflame. No one knows about this Czech band, or their album "Elvenfris" which in 2000 practically invented a new style of Death Metal. I can't describe this album in words; same with his playing.

Hellhammer - Mayhem. Yes, that Mayhem. The crazy one with the church burnings and murder. Hellhammer is the only original member of the band not in jail or dead. He was the only sane one. And he had to have had a clear head to play with his speed and technicality.

MOhillbilly
02-27-2006, 07:35 AM
Bow to your master-haha.

i dont know what his name is- jimmy or james or something but the drummer for Nausea is really good.

http://nausea.50megs.com/

Nightwish
02-27-2006, 11:47 AM
You know Stauch left BG last year, right? He joined up with the guitarist and singer from relatively unknown, but awesome, power metal band Persuader to form Savage Circus. SC plays music remeniscent of early-mid 90's BG. Traveller/Somewhere/Imaginations era BG. Pick up their debut "Dreamland Manor"
Yeah, I heard that. I haven't heard Savage Circus yet, but I plan to look them up. I know they are playing Atlanta's ProgPower USA festival this year.

Reaper16
02-27-2006, 11:51 AM
Yeah, I heard that. I haven't heard Savage Circus yet, but I plan to look them up. I know they are playing Atlanta's ProgPower USA festival this year.
That's going to be a good show. Too bad Nevermore dropped off because of complications with the Disturbed tour they're booked on.

Nightwish
02-27-2006, 12:20 PM
That's going to be a good show. Too bad Nevermore dropped off because of complications with the Disturbed tour they're booked on.
The best one, in my opinion, was two or three years ago when they Gamma Ray, Angra, Edguy and Blind Guardian all at the same festival! That one was like Wacken in the US! I regret that I wasn't able to get tickets for it, because they sold out just a couple days after they went on sale.

Mile High Mania
02-27-2006, 12:34 PM
Are you guys sure you're not forgetting Rikki Rocket of Poison... dude was a machine.

(yes this was sarcasm, just thought it would be funny to list with all the DM names)

Reaper16
02-27-2006, 12:38 PM
Are you guys sure you're not forgetting Rikki Rocket of Poison... dude was a machine.

(yes this was sarcasm, just thought it would be funny to list with all the DM names)
LARZ UL-RICH, lawls!!

Nightwish
02-27-2006, 01:06 PM
By "machine," of course, you mean "blow-up doll," right? However, there were some very good, underrated drummers in the hair metal genre. Bobby Blotzer from Ratt was quite good (actually that band had a number of seriously underrated musicians -- Juan Croucier, Warren DeMartini), and Freddy Curry from Cinderella ain't half bad. I've never been all that impressed with Alex Van Halen on their studio work (except maybe "Hot For Teacher," and the intro to "Everybody Wants Some"), but he quite impressed me live.

Archie F. Swin
02-27-2006, 05:59 PM
Monster drummers? That's obvious!
http://www.avatarity.com/avatars/4/43/4364.jpg

Reaper16
02-27-2006, 06:05 PM
Monster drummers? That's obvious!
http://www.avatarity.com/avatars/4/43/4364.jpg
The image doesn't work. But I'll bet 10 bucks its' that fat kid on the couch.

Nightwish
02-27-2006, 06:29 PM
The image doesn't work. But I'll bet 10 bucks its' that fat kid on the couch.
It's "Animal," the Muppet.

Reaper16
02-27-2006, 06:31 PM
It's "Animal," the Muppet.
Explains why I'm not a betting man.

plbrdude
02-27-2006, 07:11 PM
didn't vinnie appice play for a bunch of hard rockers throught the 80's&90's?

gblowfish
02-27-2006, 07:16 PM
Here's three guys I admire:
1) Prairie Prince: Tubes, XTC, Grateful Dead
2) Terry Bozzio: Frank Zappa
3) Stan Lynch: Tom Petty & Heartbreakers

Here's a great site for studying drummers:
http://www.drummerworld.com/

Archie F. Swin
02-27-2006, 10:39 PM
Alex Van Halen often stood in the shadow of his bro

Archie F. Swin
02-27-2006, 10:43 PM
UMKC's own Danny Carey (Tool) has developed some of the most mind warping drum parts I've ever heard.

Nightwish
02-28-2006, 12:31 AM
didn't vinnie appice play for a bunch of hard rockers throught the 80's&90's?
Dio, Black Sabbath, King Cobra, to name a few.

RufusRJones
03-02-2006, 10:32 PM
Hmmm...off the top of my head -

Jody Stephens - Big Star, Golden Smog
Ric Menck - Matthew Sweet (among others)
Jimmy Chamberlain - Pumpkins
Glenn Kotche - Wilco

And a pretty much unknown from Chicago named Doug Meis. Unbelievable drummer, really cool stuff. Was killed in a terrible car accident last summer. Very sad. But the music lives. Check out his stuff at exonoise.com. It's a wierd mix of prog and noise. Normally I wouldn't like either a prog or noise band, but somehow this really works...

tk13
03-03-2006, 01:45 AM
I guess I'll do it... as a Genesis fan, I gotta throw in Phil Collins. Waaay underappreciated because people consider him a "pop singer", but whatever, people are stupid. His drumming is what lifted Genesis from good to great I think, it's one of the biggest things that attracted me to the band. He's versatile at least... can play really fast, different styles, all kinds of different time signatures... I always enjoy watching him play drums.

StcChief
03-03-2006, 06:51 AM
Rolling Stones - Charlie Watts. http://www.rollingstones.com

Molitoth
03-03-2006, 07:57 AM
Dino Campanella - dredg (http://www.dredg.com/)

Alex Rodriguez - Soasin (http://www.saosin.com)

QuikSsurfer
03-03-2006, 09:55 AM
Who is the best (in your opinion) drummer out there that never gets the credit they deserve.

*Warning: death to anyone who says Neil Peart or Mike Portnoy. They're monsters, but they're anything but underappreciated!

The one that came to mind tonight is Thomas "Thomen" Stauch. I've long been a Blind Guardian fan, but until tonight I've really never paid that close attention to his drumming. That man is a machine, a veritable computer! He's inhuman! You gotta have something extra upstairs to be able to keep up with the strange rhythms that guy comes up with.

Danny Carrey isn't too bad :)

StcChief
03-03-2006, 11:34 AM

Agree with 2. To play with FZ you gotta be damn good.

siberian khatru
03-03-2006, 11:51 AM
* Michael Giles (King Crimson) -- A major influence on Neil Peart.

* Simon Phillips (various studio work, tours and supergroup one-offs). He, not Kenny Jones, should've replaced Keith Moon in The Who.

Halfcan
03-03-2006, 10:14 PM
Neil Peart-sorry couldn't resist.

StcChief
03-04-2006, 09:25 PM
Mick Avory - The Kinks

Over-Head
03-05-2006, 06:43 PM
Well what Drumming list would be complete without a mention of Tommy Alderige (Whitesnake/OZZY/Pat Travers Band) or Matt Sorum (Cult/GnR/Velvet Revolver).
Nikko McBain with Maiden is a master at double kick.
Chris Slade of AC/DC fame laid down about the most solid 2/4 time beat of anyone who ever played.
Cozzey Powel (RIP) had a wicked fill grove.
John Fay "Tragically Hip" is another awesome drummer.
Don Henley "The Eagles"

Kraut
03-14-2006, 05:09 AM
Brian Mantia of Primus is always overlooked.

Reaper16
03-14-2006, 07:28 AM
Brian Mantia of Primus is always overlooked.
:clap:

NewChief
03-14-2006, 07:50 AM
Stanton Moore is a very good drummer, but I wouldn't call him "monster." He's also extremely versatile. Check out this blurb:

In just these past few months, Stanton Moore has: gigged and recorded with his main band, the masters of cosmic New Orleans funk, Galactic; laid down drum tracks for metal leviathans Corrosion Of Conformity on In The Arms Of God, their first album in four years, and joined them on the road with Motörhead; conspired with tenstring guitar wizard Charlie Hunter, percussionist Mike Dillon, and sax innovator Skerik to invent grooves never before played under the auspices of their avant/improv project Garage ā Trois; buzz-rolled and parade-thumped through century-old traditional jazz classics with the Preservation Hall Band; whisked brushes across snare and cymbal for a whispery trio gig at a fancy restaurant; shared the secrets of the second-line groove on a pair of instructional videos; written a book; and even stayed still long enough to be interviewed by DRUM!

phisherman
03-14-2006, 08:04 AM

maybe i'm wrong, but when did prairie prince ever play w/ the grateful dead?

i was under the impression that kreutzmann and hart were their only drummers ever in the original lineup

bp

Kraut
03-14-2006, 08:16 AM
Phil Collins......I know he is a monster in the music world. But most look at him as the front man and singer. His drumming skills are awesome.

NewChief
03-14-2006, 08:19 AM
maybe i'm wrong, but when did prairie prince ever play w/ the grateful dead?

i was under the impression that kreutzmann and hart were their only drummers ever in the original lineup

bp

I don't think he ever did play with the Dead, though he might have been in one of the post-Jerry projects. I didn't really follow all the various incarnations of "The Dead" and "The Grateful Dead" etc during that time. He definitely played on some Phil projects, though. He also has played with Steve Kimock quite a bit. Coincidentally, Vince Welnick (worst keyboardist the Dead ever had) was in the Tubes as well. Prairie Prince sat in on his Missing Man Formation side project.

Aries Walker
03-23-2006, 11:07 AM
Carl Palmer, as in "Emerson, Lake and". Keith Emerson was so inhumanly good that Carl got overlooked a lot.

KS Smitty
03-23-2006, 11:16 PM
Not sure how underappreciated these guys are but my top 4 are:

Bob Burns- Lynyrd Skynyrd
Don Henley-Eagles
Mick Fleetwood-Fleetwood Mack
Phil Collins-Genesis

DomerNKC
03-23-2006, 11:28 PM
pete best

FAX
03-24-2006, 07:26 AM
Richie Hayward was the greatest of all times in this category. Hands down. Could put a back beat on a hickup. Just in a band that didn't showcase his talents much.

FAX

trndobrd
03-24-2006, 12:47 PM
John Bonham and Keith Moon got plenty of credit, so they don't really fit this category.

Dave Grohl w/ Nirvana never got much attention
Doktor Avalanche w/ Sisters of Mercy (also the lowest paid drummer)
Bill Ward w/ Black Sabbath (along with Geezer Butler) has been overlooked.

Reaper16
04-05-2006, 04:08 PM
One of the guys I mentioned, Flo Mounier, has put out a drumming instruction DVD. Want to observe the technique of one of the top 5 drummers in the known world?

http://www.flomounier.com/ will reveal all.

jlscorpio
04-05-2006, 04:16 PM
How are we on page 3 without mention of Charlie Benante (Anthrax/SOD), Dave Lombardo (Slayer/Grip Inc/Fantomas) and Vinnie Paul (Pantera/Damage Plan)?

jlscorpio
04-05-2006, 04:19 PM
Oops, i forgot...Ginger Baker

Nightwish
04-05-2006, 04:41 PM
How are we on page 3 without mention of Charlie Benante (Anthrax/SOD), Dave Lombardo (Slayer/Grip Inc/Fantomas) and Vinnie Paul (Pantera/Damage Plan)?
I was a bit surprised, too, that nobody had said Dave Lombardo. To be honest, Charlie Benante has never impressed me, he's got speed, but not much finesse, he's a bit clumsy. Put Frankenstein's monster on speed, then drop him behind a drumset, and you've got Charlie Benante. Vinnie Paul - he's had his moments, but I'd mostly just put him slightly on the upside of average for speed/thrash metal drummers. Lombardo is definitely a monster, though.

jlscorpio
04-05-2006, 04:44 PM
fair enough...I thought Charlie was strong at times on their good albums. Vinnie is mammoth on Vulgar Display, IMO

Lzen
04-06-2006, 07:53 AM
Ummmm, let's see. I would have to say.........Mike Portnoy!!

Oh, and don't forget Neil Pert. :D :p

Stewie
04-20-2007, 07:02 AM
No love for Steve Gadd? The guy can play everything. His work on Steely Dan's Aja set him apart from the pack in the '70s.

Danny Carey is on the same level but with a different style.

chagrin
04-20-2007, 11:43 AM
Don't know if he's been mentioned yet, as I haven't read the thread - I don't even know if he's too well known or not for this thread either, but....

Scott Rockenfield

chagrin
04-20-2007, 11:44 AM
Terry Bozzio

StcChief
04-20-2007, 12:16 PM
No love for Steve Gadd? The guy can play everything. His work on Steely Dan's Aja set him apart from the pack in the '70s.

Danny Carey is on the same level but with a different style.

Bill Bruford - Yes King Crimson

Ginger Baker - Cream

Charlie Watts is rock steady. Does his own Jazz as well. overshadowed by Mick/Keith. He's the glue of the Stones.

Steve Gadd is a Very good drummer.

Buddy Rich
04-20-2007, 01:07 PM
Guys like Gadd, Bruford and Bozzio are hardly underappreciated. They're damn near deified among most drummers.

noa
04-20-2007, 01:18 PM
Ginger Baker - Cream

Ginger Baker's drum solo on Blind Faith's "Do What You Like," rocks.

Fish
04-20-2007, 01:33 PM
Rick Allen!

ChiefFripp
04-20-2007, 02:10 PM
Nicko McBrain has always been underappreciated , even in the metal community. The guy plays with taste and restrains himself to what the song needs. If you listen to songs like 'Powerslave' and 'Stranger in a Strange Land', you'll hear a lot of the subtle little things he adds to songs. The guy also has the fastest right foot I have ever heard. Remember, besides for one song on Brave New World, he plays with a single bass drum/peddle.

If you listen to Clive Burr's drumming on Iron Maiden's 'Killers' album, you will msot likely be impressed as well.

Buddy Rich
04-20-2007, 02:16 PM
here's a killer drummer most people have never heard of. Played on the last Steely Dan and Donald Fagen discs. This dude can bring it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uXgHmZ9lhfg

ChiefFripp
04-20-2007, 02:19 PM
here's a killer drummer most people have never heard of. Played on the last Steely Dan and Donald Fagen discs. This dude can bring it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uXgHmZ9lhfg

Actually the way he handles the sticks reminds me a bit of your namesake.

Man that guitarist's tone sucks though, sounds like a bad compression petal or ringmod.

Baby Lee
04-20-2007, 02:44 PM
Richard Christie, . . . Heyyyehh!!

Buddy Rich
04-20-2007, 02:55 PM
I really dig the ring mod thing for the most part. the drummer plays with a guy named Wayne Krantz (guitar), where both he and the bassist have crazy effects going on.

Brock
04-20-2007, 02:56 PM
The chili peppers have a good one.

ChiefFripp
04-20-2007, 02:58 PM
The chili peppers have a good one.
Chad Smith is very underappreciated. He is kind of like John Frucinate, the way they leave the flashy stuff to Flea even though they both have the chops.

Stewie
04-20-2007, 03:11 PM
Guys like Gadd, Bruford and Bozzio are hardly underappreciated. They're damn near deified among most drummers.

The reason I said Gadd isn't because he's not known among drummers. It's that he's not affiliated with any band in particular, but everyone has heard his work whether they realized it or not. I bet if you ask 10 people who he was you'd be lucky to have one person who would know.

Demonpenz
04-20-2007, 03:14 PM
i think the drummer from alien ant farm is good

Stewie
04-20-2007, 03:29 PM
Tony Williams. Amazing hands, feet, and timing.

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/rttVtwuoH3o"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/rttVtwuoH3o" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

Archie F. Swin
04-20-2007, 04:18 PM
I heard a track from an LA group named Blue James Band and their drummer was off the chain. Like a mix of Carter Beauford and Aaron Comess

Buddy Rich
04-21-2007, 06:47 AM
Tony Williams. Amazing hands, feet, and timing.

my favorite drummer ever.

ZepSinger
04-21-2007, 09:00 AM
Old skewl- Tommy Aldridge (BOA, Whitesnake). Although he was probably pretty appreciated at the time. MONSTER drummer.

Z

Deberg_1990
04-21-2007, 11:27 AM
No love for Ringo Starr??

chagrin
04-21-2007, 12:42 PM

As a drummer myself, I agree with you, but I think that for this crowd, they may qualify. I guess I was thinking only in the context of the board members, not planet Earth.

My guess is not more than 10 people here have ever heard of Terry Bozzio, so that's why I listed him.

SNAFU
04-21-2007, 01:24 PM
Kenny Aronoff

"Bob" Dobbs
04-21-2007, 09:43 PM
I haven't read the whole thread, but didn't notice Carl Palmer mentioned. Blasphemy!

ChiefFripp
04-21-2007, 09:53 PM
I haven't read the whole thread, but didn't notice Carl Palmer mentioned. Blasphemy!
He was mentioned.

BigMeatballDave
04-21-2007, 10:13 PM
Danny Carrey isn't too bad :)I was just gonna mention him. My favorite. He is from Paola, Ks.

BigMeatballDave
04-21-2007, 10:22 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uXgHmZ9lhfgWow, thanks for posting. I enjoyed that.

htismaqe
04-22-2007, 06:10 AM
Rick Allen!

How come nobody even recognized this one?

Dude's only got ONE ARM!!!

htismaqe
04-22-2007, 06:10 AM

How can you mention those 3 without paying homage to Filthy Phil Taylor?

Archie F. Swin
04-22-2007, 07:12 AM
Wow, thanks for posting. I enjoyed that.

I'm almost certain Keith is a grad of the Univ of North Texas, one of our Nations premier music schools.

EDIT:that's one of the filthiest grooves I've ever heard!!!

chagrin
04-22-2007, 08:06 AM
I am quite sure that with the sick amount of publicity his bands got, that Vinnie Paul has loads of respect.

BigMeatballDave
06-04-2007, 03:16 AM
<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/I8cvKImVadE"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/I8cvKImVadE" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object> Dude is only 7!

Rukdafaidas
05-16-2011, 06:17 AM
I recently purchased a 2 DVD set called "The Making of Burning for Buddy". As some of you know, Neil Peart put together a group of drummers and made a tribute to Buddy Rich. These DVD's show the studio sessions of the making of the CD's. Very impressive. Several of the guys mentioned in this thread are on it. Here's a list of the drummers that are shown in the video:
Kenny Aronoff
Gregg Bissonette
Billy Cobham
Steve Gadd
David Garibaldi
Neil Peart
Simon Phillips
Steve Smith
Dave Weckl

If you're a drummer, you would love these DVD's. I wish I could have seen Buddy Rich play live.

Dayze
05-16-2011, 08:59 AM
Shanon Larkin

asdf
05-16-2011, 11:46 AM
Steve Smith is one of my many favorites...if you've only heard him with Journey, you're missing out. To jazz and fusion fans he's much more well known.

Here's a tune from an album that features some of his best playing in my opinion...of course Scott Henderson and Victor Wooten aren't too bad either...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VNVxBi59GRE

Sfeihc
05-16-2011, 12:08 PM
Joe Russo, formally of the Beneveto/Russo Duo and currently of Furthur. I'll third that Prince didn't play with the Grateful Dead but perhaps Phil and Friends or some other side project.

Jawshco
05-16-2011, 12:40 PM
I really like Mike Bordin from Faith No More and Ozzy. He has very distinct style and sound that not all drummers have. I know he'll never be considered an elite player, but he's freaking cool, and that counts for me.

Vinnie Appice is like that for me too. He's not amazing, but when you see him live with his weird overhead tom thing it just looks cool. He sounds like a like a thundering caveman, but what can I say... I like it.

I also dig Eric Singer. I've seen him with KISS and Alice Cooper, and he's another thundering drummer with a ton of style.

Swanman
05-16-2011, 02:09 PM
I really like Mike Bordin from Faith No More and Ozzy. He has very distinct style and sound that not all drummers have. I know he'll never be considered an elite player, but he's freaking cool, and that counts for me.

I am a big fan of Bordin from seeing him many times playing with Ozzy.

I imagine this guy doesn't score high on technical merit, but I really enjoy the work of Gene Hoglan (Strapping Young Lad, Fear Factory, Dethklok). I am a big fan of Fear Factory's latest album, with the returning Dino and Hoglan becoming the new drummer.

vailpass
05-16-2011, 02:17 PM
What do you call a combination bathroom break/smoke break/beer run at a concert?
Drum solo.

JD10367
05-16-2011, 08:08 PM
Ingo Schwichtenberg (RIP) of Helloween.

<iframe width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/qpds9XDlTP4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

pkane
05-16-2011, 08:44 PM
Two of my favorites

Morgan Rose- Sevendust

Shannon Larkin- Godsmack

Pitt Gorilla
05-17-2011, 01:33 AM
http://i398.photobucket.com/albums/pp62/michelequintana/muppets-animal.jpg

asdf
05-17-2011, 01:33 PM
http://i398.photobucket.com/albums/pp62/michelequintana/muppets-animal.jpg

<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/n_BmeBfV-O4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

MOhillbilly
05-17-2011, 01:36 PM
Paul Douglas
Roy Mayorga

Chiefspants
06-04-2011, 02:54 AM
I saw this thread a while back and started thinking about the drummers who were most inspiring to me. I am aspiring to one day be a drummer, (I am saving money for a kit as I type this post.) and three incredible drummers came to my mind when I thought about the most unappreciated currently playing today.

1. Martin Axenrot- (Opeth, Bloodbath, and Witchery) Martin Axenrot is probably one of the most undervalued drummers playing today, especially amongst Opeth fans. There are many Opeth fans who have built an incredible animosity towards Axenrot due to their near worship with Opeth's previous drummer, Martin Lopez. This is quite unfortunate, because Axenrot is a wonderful drummer himself. Axenrot became known from his role in the death metal band "Bloodbath," where he showed an ability to take a song from an average rhythm to an unbelievable pace in a matter of moments. He may be one of the fastest drummers alive today, (Just ask Mike Portnoy, who was destroyed when he attempted to challenge Axenrot live.) but, Axenrot has shown an ability to play with feel as well. His tasteful fills and beats in the Opeth songs, "Hessian Peel," and "The Lotus Eater" were of an incredible inspiration to me and highlighted his potential as a drummer. His skills seem to be improving the longer he stays with Opeth, as he now adds his own tasteful touches on Lopez's past work in live performances. His advancements have made me quite excited to see his contributions in the coming Opeth album, "Heritage," which debuts in September.

<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/xWXzPrkfi4o" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

2. Shannon Lucas (The Black Dahlia Murder)- In my opinion, Shannon Lucas is one of the best death metal drummers today. He uses an incredible ankle double bass technique which allows him to be incredibly quick and consistent when he incorporates it into his playing. He often uses blast beats in his playing, but, usually provides incredible fills that are quite uncommon from a generic "metal drummer."

<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/iTul-uzXIpU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

3. Sean Reinert (Cynic, Death)- Okay, so this drummer is probably not underrated in the metal community, but, the fact that many people are unaware of his existence is almost a crime to humanity itself. Reinert's creativity and originality in Cynic's 1993 album, "Focus" is said to have served as an inspiration to many drummers in progressive metal. Citing influences such as Dave Miranda, John Bonham, and Dave Weckl, Reinert has developed a distinct style which shines out in all of his work. His style can perhaps best be observed from the Cynic song, "Adam's Murmur." Where Reinert uses a variety of polyrhythmic fills and a selective use of double bass to enhance the entire atmosphere of the song. Reinert is often regarded as highly as Mike Portnoy by today's metal drummers, and it's clear that everyone should be knowledgeable of his unique style.

<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/1n0xiKy1zz0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Over-Head
06-04-2011, 05:58 AM
http://i398.photobucket.com/albums/pp62/michelequintana/muppets-animal.jpg A true hero!!!

Over-Head
06-04-2011, 06:26 AM
Another totally undappreicated drummer, Ladies and Gentelman I present
Mr. Louis Cardenas

Runaway cover
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gWAh9SFqZMI&feature=related

Guiness World record performance
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e89IPK5eYHY&feature=related

Another monster behind the kit was Gill Moore from Triumph
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gjCjuU5joEs

Stewie
07-07-2014, 02:09 PM
There's a great YouTube video called, "Steve Gadd - Up Close." Lots of technique, rhythm, timing ideas. He uses his sticks backwards much of the time, which I find odd.

I also didn't know he was in a band in high school with brothers Gap and Chuck Mangione. I always find that stuff interesting.

<iframe src="//www.youtube.com/embed/TISFbXss-9s" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="315" width="420"></iframe>

Halfcan
07-07-2014, 02:11 PM

Some still argue Neil is not the Best of All time. ROFL :shake:

505 Chief
07-07-2014, 02:17 PM
Vinnie Colaitua.

Braincase
07-07-2014, 02:44 PM
On this side of the pond, not many guys know Anders Johansson from Hammerfall, but I think in the European Heavy Metal Community, he's got to be among the better drummers.

Coochie liquor
07-08-2014, 12:25 PM
Doubt anyone's heard of them but the drummer for Tsunami Rising is sick!

siberian khatru
07-08-2014, 01:01 PM
Gavin Harrison

Well-respected, just not a commonly known name.

MTG#10
07-08-2014, 01:43 PM
Some still argue Neil is not the Best of All time. ROFL :shake:

Because he's not.

KCUnited
07-08-2014, 02:04 PM
Dave Culross

otherstar
07-09-2014, 06:28 AM
I don't think he ever did play with the Dead, though he might have been in one of the post-Jerry projects. I didn't really follow all the various incarnations of "The Dead" and "The Grateful Dead" etc during that time. He definitely played on some Phil projects, though. He also has played with Steve Kimock quite a bit. Coincidentally, Vince Welnick (worst keyboardist the Dead ever had) was in the Tubes as well. Prairie Prince sat in on his Missing Man Formation side project.

Kreutzman alone was the first drummer for the Grateful Dead, Hart joined a few years later, then left, then came back again. While Jerry was alive Kreutzman and Hart were IT for them. I'm not sure about them post-Jerry, but I think in every incarnation except for various solo efforts, and not Furthur, Kreutzman and/or Hart have been their drummers. I agree with your comments on Vince too....he was so bad that Bruce Hornsby had to tour with them for about a year until Vince kind-of figured things out (Hornsby was with the Grateful Dead at Sandstone in 1991--their last shows in the KC area).

otherstar
07-09-2014, 06:32 AM
Steve Ferrone -- current drummer for Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers...guy is ROCK solid!

I'll second Phil Collins. I have a DVD called Eric Clapton and Friends from the 1980's and Phil was his drummer....he's vastly underrated because of his vocal work.

I'll also add Butch Trucks and Jai Johanny "Jaimoe" Johanson of the Allman Brothers.

Reaper16
07-09-2014, 03:17 PM
Steve Ferrone -- current drummer for Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers...guy is ROCK solid!

I've never thought of Ferrone as a "monster" drummer, but he's certainly underappreciated. He's basically perfect.

KC native
07-09-2014, 03:30 PM
Thomas Pridgen

Pitt Gorilla
07-09-2014, 08:05 PM
http://cdn.makeagif.com/media/10-21-2013/KSbDcB.gif

Reaper16
07-09-2014, 08:25 PM
Thomas Pridgen

He's astoundingly good. Bedlam in Goliath is my favorite album from The Mars Volta, in large part because of Pridgen's performance. That bonkers album is always in constant danger of falling off of a cliff and Pridgen's frenetic-yet-measured drumming is what keeps everything balanced on the edge.

L.A. Chieffan
07-10-2014, 12:49 AM
Not one mention of Dave Lombardo or Joey Jordison?

Guru
07-10-2014, 09:54 AM
Danny Seraphine

otherstar
07-10-2014, 10:05 AM
Frank Beard...

KC native
07-10-2014, 10:48 AM
He's astoundingly good. Bedlam in Goliath is my favorite album from The Mars Volta, in large part because of Pridgen's performance. That bonkers album is always in constant danger of falling off of a cliff and Pridgen's frenetic-yet-measured drumming is what keeps everything balanced on the edge.

Yes, I go back and forth between it and Amputechture as my favorites.

Ouroborous is the shit.

Kiimosabi
07-10-2014, 11:50 AM
Not nearly enough mentions of Danny Carey who I would take over any drummer in the world.

He even high-fives my friend's baby.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xfa1/t31.0-8/457097_369741439715781_1708106088_o.jpg

Reaper16
07-10-2014, 12:38 PM
Not one mention of Dave Lombardo or Joey Jordison?

Not nearly enough mentions of Danny Carey who I would take over any drummer in the world.

He even high-fives my friend's baby.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xfa1/t31.0-8/457097_369741439715781_1708106088_o.jpg

The thread topic is UNDERAPPRECIATED monster drummers. Those guys are pretty appropriately appreciated by the public at-large.

Detoxing
07-10-2014, 02:43 PM
Matthew McDonough

frankotank
07-10-2014, 02:54 PM
kind of off track.....and I'll probably get slammed for mentioning them/him.....cause there's lots of haters. and that's cool.....but when I was a lil feller I proudly sported my Kiss Army t-shirt...and if that wasn't bad enough.....Peter Criss was my favorite. :D

I'm reading Paul Stanley's new book and man......he just TRASHES Peter Criss. I mean bad. says the dude just can't play. in the beginning it was aight....but man....says he had to be spoon fed by true professionals just to get marginally back up to speed for the reunion concerts....and this is stuff that HIS. he couldn't even relearn his own shit without super duper struggles. just trashes the guy. says he's just dumb as shit...one funny excerpt Ace calls in sick with lime disease and Peter says "that's bullshit he wasn't bit by a deer". ROFL

Coochie liquor
07-11-2014, 05:03 AM
Christopher Tsagakis is the drummer for the Rx Bandits! Dude is dope as shizz. He usually doesn't do a solo drum solo, but it's usually a 3 person drum solo(?) if you're unfamiliar with Rx Bandits you really should educate yourself a little. Very cool progressive mix of many dif genres mixed into one amazing band! Their last cd Mandala was compared a lot to Mars Volta (who i only know a song or 2 by) great drummer and great band! Check em out!

Nzoner
07-11-2014, 06:20 AM
Gavin Harrison

Well-respected, just not a commonly known name.

Finally and thank you

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/igDSyZMy8_E" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Nzoner
07-11-2014, 06:25 AM
My personal favorite of Gavin Harrison with Porcupine Tree

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/O5nAA_QXBPY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

srvy
07-12-2014, 12:00 AM
Stewart Copeland-Police

Danny Carey-Tool

Phil Ehart-Kansas

A lot other favorites of mine have been mentioned. But for my money Buddy Rich still blows them all away.

srvy
07-12-2014, 12:07 AM
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/xRiZNOvC5J8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

srvy
07-12-2014, 12:15 AM
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/8KJFE8E3MpQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

srvy
07-12-2014, 12:19 AM
Mike Portnoy -Dream Theater
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/DEXGSoHsqzY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

srvy
07-12-2014, 12:26 AM
Steve Smith-Journey
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/F_T4YXhnveA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

srvy
07-12-2014, 12:28 AM
If Keith Moon wasnt mentioned he needs to be.

BigMeatballDave
07-12-2014, 11:30 AM
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/8KJFE8E3MpQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Danny Carey is my favorite. He's also not underappreciated.

Did you read the OP?

BigMeatballDave
07-12-2014, 11:34 AM
But for my money Buddy Rich still blows them all away.

LMAO Bullshit

MTG#10
07-12-2014, 02:24 PM
Stewart Copeland-Police

Danny Carey-Tool

Phil Ehart-Kansas

A lot other favorites of mine have been mentioned. But for my money Buddy Rich still blows them all away.

UNDER APPRECIATED

Burt yes, Carey is the goat in my opinion...even over halfcan's man-crush Neil Peart.

BigMeatballDave
07-12-2014, 02:38 PM
UNDER APPRECIATED

Burt yes, Carey is the goat in my opinion...even over halfcan's man-crush Neil Peart.

It's pretty fucking close with these two.

Their styles are nearly identical.

MTG#10
07-12-2014, 04:20 PM
Im sure the fact that I love Tool and cant stand Rush may play a part in my opinion.

BigMeatballDave
07-12-2014, 06:25 PM
Im sure the fact that I love Tool and cant stand Rush may play a part in my opinion.

I really cannot comprehend hating Rush. I can understand not liking Lee's voice, but instrumentally, they are near fucking flawless.

MTG#10
07-12-2014, 08:28 PM
His voice is what I dont like. It ruins the whole band.

Reaper16
07-12-2014, 08:58 PM

That's like saying you wouldn't hit the woman in your avatar from behind just because she's got a homely face.

frankotank
07-14-2014, 10:47 AM
speaking of Rush.....
how about 7 heary old Avery Moleks take on Tom Sawyer....

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/MR_x_vrSZBM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

frankotank
07-14-2014, 10:51 AM
YYZ?

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/jruU4ctnX70" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Coochie liquor
07-14-2014, 10:54 AM

Ditto. I can't get pas his voice to hear the music. I only like 1 of their songs, although I don't know many.

L.A. Chieffan
07-14-2014, 10:56 AM
That kid has weak DB

King_Chief_Fan
07-14-2014, 11:50 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9esWG6A6g-k

you got to love some Buddy Rich

seaofred
07-14-2014, 02:08 PM
I saw Motly Crue last night at the BOK Center in Tulsa. Tommy Lee is amazing and to do what he does while spinning upside down of the crowd is amazing.

505 Chief
07-15-2014, 12:04 PM
I saw Motly Crue last night at the BOK Center in Tulsa. Tommy Lee is amazing and to do what he does while spinning upside down of the crowd is amazing.

Did they use the "Cruecify"?

KC native
07-15-2014, 01:43 PM
Some Pridgen videos
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/2cYlWfv3Hg0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Not a video of him playing this song but I saw him do it live and it was the exact same as the album. Once of the most awesome drum driven tracks ever.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/slXpsCbMx1I" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

srvy
07-15-2014, 01:50 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9esWG6A6g-k

you got to love some Buddy Rich

I enjoyed that!

Used to be a Buddy Rich vs Ed Shuanessy drum battle that was just unbelievable.

The Carson Entertainment Group took it down from youtube due to copy right issues.

seaofred
07-15-2014, 02:01 PM
Did they use the "Cruecify"?

I'm sorry, but I don't really know what that is...

505 Chief
07-16-2014, 11:38 AM
I'm sorry, but I don't really know what that is...

The latest Lee revolving drum-kit gizmo.

Buddy Rich
07-16-2014, 12:45 PM
Here's two Snarky Puppy tunes with a drummer named Larnell Lewis. He was a last minute sub and learned all of these tunes in three days (with one rehearsal). His drumming shows some world class chops and SERIOUS groove.

Outlier -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Qo1NFwMhBA

What About Me? -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fuhHU_BZXSk

Embed fail.

seaofred
07-17-2014, 01:12 PM
The latest Lee revolving drum-kit gizmo.

Yes, I believe so. It took him and his drums to the top of the BOK and out past all of the floor section seating. It was amazing. He beat the drums to a bunch of newer stuff by different artiest. It was cool.