PDA

View Full Version : Charles Spencer

jspchief
03-01-2006, 09:03 AM
With rumors of the release of Shields, it got me thinking about O-linemen again. I've mentioned Spencer a few times in other threads, but haven't seen anyone else's opinion.

I think he's easily the second best guard in the draft, and may end up better than Jean-Gilles in the long run. He's a punishing run blocker, that IMO would fit nicely in both out current run game and in the zone scheme we used with Holmes. He doesn't just hold the point of attack, he pushes upfield. I don't think he's as effective in pass blocking, but he's not bad.

I originally thought he'd be available in the second round, but I think he had a good combine that might make him go before we pick.

I'd much rather see us get defense, but if we really do let Shields go (or he retires), the pick would make sense, and go be crucial to building on the Larry Johnson era of Chiefs football.

htismaqe
03-01-2006, 09:50 AM
This only makes sense if we do nothing with Black and cut Welbourn as ESPN seems to think we will.

Both of those guys are MUCH better at guard than at tackle.

I think our need is at tackle.

jspchief
03-01-2006, 09:58 AM
I felt Welbourne was okay at tackle. Although he might be exposed more without Shields next to him. I've seen little from Black to excite me, other than one game in Baltimore a few years back.

I'd like to know the status of Sampson. He got sick, then we never heard anything about him after that. His status has an effect on what O-linemen we need too. The selection of tackles this year is possibly worse than the usual lacking crop. After Ferguson, there's McNeill and then no one that impresses me. I'm not a fan of Scott. Justice or Winston might make good RTs I suppose.

I just think Spencer could turn out to be really good.

booger
03-01-2006, 12:46 PM
I like Spencer too. 350lbs. He seems to carry it well though.

I was really impressed with Jean-Gilles at the combine workouts.