PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs get a steal at #20- select Chad Greenway (link)

Marco Polo
03-02-2006, 08:30 AM
Personally, I think it'd be an excellent pick but I am an Iowa homer. The guy is a player who would be a solid LB for years with KC. Yes we also need to address DL & DB but Greenway would be too good of an athlete to pass up should this occur and with the probable release of Bell, this fills a hole anyway...

20. Kansas City Chiefs: Chad Greenway, LB Iowa – Greenway is an exceptional football player and would be a steal if he lasts this long but that could happen because he doesn’t have great computers numbers. Greenway didn’t run well at the Combine and only did 16 reps of 225. Put Greenway on the football field, however, and he’s a productive leader who plays much better than his computer numbers would indicate. When you think Chad Greenway, think Lofa Tatupu. Guys who don’t wow you in the 40 but just make plays on the football field because of their intelligence and hard work. The Chiefs are expected to release Kendrell Bell. If that happens, Greenway can step right in as a rookie and be a leader for Herm Edwards’ defense.

http://www.patriots.com/news/index.cfm?ac=latestnewsdetail&pid=15602&pcid=41

ct
03-02-2006, 08:34 AM
As a BAA I'd be happy with that. But I have Hali and Huff above him. Sadly, all 3 may be gone by 20.

jspchief
03-02-2006, 08:50 AM
It's already been decreed that Greenway is a pussy because he only did 16 reps on the bench press at the combine.

BigChiefFan
03-02-2006, 09:21 AM
Not a bad pick at all. I still think the D-line is in shambles and needs to be priority one, but I definitely like the pick. I can see this happening, because LBers, as we saw last year, tend to fall in the draft.

Cave Johnson
03-02-2006, 09:46 AM
This would be an insane investment of draft picks in LB's. More than likely, the Chiefs will have a 1st (DJ), 2nd (Kavika), and 3rd (Fox) as starters next year. Other than Denver, I can't think of a single team in the league with similarly drafted linebackers.

I'd much, much rather see the Chiefs trade down and take either OT or D-line.

htismaqe
03-02-2006, 10:29 AM
Good LB's can fuel a great defense.

I wouldn't complain if Greenway fell to us.

HolmeZz
03-02-2006, 11:16 AM
Overrated. Good in coverage, but not NFL caliber in any other area.

jspchief
03-02-2006, 11:21 AM
Overrated. Good in coverage, but not NFL caliber in any other area. :rolleyes:

HolmeZz
03-02-2006, 11:22 AM
I'd take him if we were changing to a Cover 2. That'll be his strong suit.

Mr. Laz
03-02-2006, 11:57 AM
Overrated. Good in coverage, but not NFL caliber in any other area.

the iowa guys are gonna beat your down ......... RUN!!

HolmeZz
03-02-2006, 11:58 AM
For what it's worth, I like Hodge quite a bit. :shrug:

htismaqe
03-02-2006, 12:03 PM
the iowa guys are gonna beat your down ......... RUN!!

Nah. It's no fun beating on total retards.

HolmeZz
03-02-2006, 12:04 PM
That's not nice. Apologize.

buddha
03-02-2006, 01:50 PM
It's already been decreed that Greenway is a pussy because he only did 16 reps on the bench press at the combine.

He's not a pussy, but it is an important factor isn't it? Seriously, would you draft a linebacker with the 20th pick who isn't stronger than 16 reps with 225 lbs. on the bench? There is no way I would. There will still be a collection of freaking stud players who are also strong athletes at that pick. Greenway was weaker than most of the WRs, for goodness sake!

Mr. Laz
03-02-2006, 01:54 PM
He's not a pussy, but it is an important factor isn't it? Seriously, would you draft a linebacker with the 20th pick who isn't stronger than 16 reps with 225 lbs. on the bench? There is no way I would. There will still be a collection of freaking stud players who are also strong athletes at that pick. Greenway was weaker than most of the WRs, for goodness sake!

should be pretty easy to make him stronger ... just throw him in the weight room.

as long as he's got a hard working attitude

better than mr. junior "brain of mush" savaii

buddha
03-02-2006, 01:57 PM
It "should" be easy to make him stronger, but he's been in a Big 10 program for four years and still hasn't gotten any stronger than THAT? He looks like an end of the 1st round, or early 2nd round guy to me. Why compromise so quickly? If you really want a guy like that, trade down...he'll still be there.

jspchief
03-02-2006, 02:02 PM
He's not a pussy, but it is an important factor isn't it? Seriously, would you draft a linebacker with the 20th pick who isn't stronger than 16 reps with 225 lbs. on the bench? There is no way I would. There will still be a collection of freaking stud players who are also strong athletes at that pick. Greenway was weaker than most of the WRs, for goodness sake!Jared Allen did 13 reps.

buddha
03-02-2006, 02:39 PM
And we didn't use the 20th pick on the draft on him either, did we?

jspchief
03-02-2006, 02:41 PM
And we didn't use the 20th pick on the draft on him either, did we?It doesn't change the fact that he's excelled in the NFL in spite of being a "pussy".

htismaqe
03-02-2006, 03:05 PM
It "should" be easy to make him stronger, but he's been in a Big 10 program for four years and still hasn't gotten any stronger than THAT? He looks like an end of the 1st round, or early 2nd round guy to me. Why compromise so quickly? If you really want a guy like that, trade down...he'll still be there.

Who ****ing cares?

The guy is a flat-out football player that consistently led the Big 10 in tackles. He won just about every accolade there is.

At some point, the draftniks have to shut the hell up and forget about 40 times and bench presses.

That's why so many of these guys end up sucking in the NFL - because in the end, they can run and jump but they can't PLAY FOOTBALL.

ct
03-02-2006, 03:08 PM
Who ****ing cares?

The guy is a flat-out football player that consistently led the Big 10 in tackles. He won just about every accolade there is.

At some point, the draftniks have to shut the hell up and forget about 40 times and bench presses.

That's why so many of these guys end up sucking in the NFL - because in the end, they can run and jump but they can't PLAY FOOTBALL.

:clap:
REP!

BigChiefFan
03-02-2006, 03:14 PM
I have to say Greenway is a stud prospect. At the collegiate level he knocked people on their asses. He consistently was in the right place at the right time. It didn't hurt to have Abdul Hodge next to him, but Greenway doesn't miss many tackles. He's also pretty damn good in pass coverage.

I have to say picking at 20, is a great place to be sitting. There is going to be some QUALITY players available when we pick, Greenway may be a possibility.

buddha
03-02-2006, 04:25 PM
Who ****ing cares?

The draft is all about value. The guys in the first round of the NFL draft can ALL PLAY FOOTBALL. That's an obvious given. The question when you're drafting is getting the guy you want, but also getting value at your pick. Anybody who thinks a LB who can't bench as much as several of the WRs and QBs is a good idea with the freaking 20th pick in the draft, wake up and smell the coffee!

Greenway was a good player, but there will be guys who were also very good player, and strong, explosive athletes sitting at #20...I guarantee it.

As I said before, if the Chiefs want Greenway, they can get him later in the draft and pick up additional draft picks in a trade in the process. There's nothing wrong with that idea.

Miles
03-02-2006, 07:05 PM
The draft is all about value. The guys in the first round of the NFL draft can ALL PLAY FOOTBALL. That's an obvious given. The question when you're drafting is getting the guy you want, but also getting value at your pick. Anybody who thinks a LB who can't bench as much as several of the WRs and QBs is a good idea with the freaking 20th pick in the draft, wake up and smell the coffee!

Greenway was a good player, but there will be guys who were also very good player, and strong, explosive athletes sitting at #20...I guarantee it.

As I said before, if the Chiefs want Greenway, they can get him later in the draft and pick up additional draft picks in a trade in the process. There's nothing wrong with that idea.

I think you are putting too much stock in the combine numbers. Sure they suggest that Greenway is not particularly athletic but it does not necessarily mean he is so. A few measurable with a tiny sample size are not enough to erase what he has shown on the field.

However, I think the combine may have some impact on where he is picked. Greenway may fall it he doesn't have a better pro day but I don’t see him falling out of the first round.

Mr. Laz
03-02-2006, 10:05 PM
greenway = scott fujita

jspchief
03-02-2006, 10:11 PM
greenway = scott fujitaI don't think so.

Greenway is better than Fujita in every facet of the game, except maybe blitzing, but even that's an unknown since the Hawkeyes almost never blitz LBs. Greenway played better in college, against better competition IMO.

I think the college pre-season hype of him being a top 5 pick may have been a little much, but he's a proven productive player, that is easily worthy of a late first early second.

Mecca
03-02-2006, 10:12 PM
Greenway is built to play cover 2, that's about it. Not to mention the one of the last things we should be picking is a LB.

nascher
03-02-2006, 10:17 PM
fell to us ??? I doubt he will be drafted in the top 20.

LB tend fall come draft day.

Last lb drafted in the TOP10 Dan Morgan.

Remember last year DJ or before DJ.Williams ?

And on top Greenway isn't that good.

jspchief
03-02-2006, 10:29 PM
And on top Greenway isn't that good. :) That's why he's being mentioned as a 1st round pick in the NFL.

Miles
03-02-2006, 10:39 PM
fell to us ??? I doubt he will be drafted in the top 20.

LB tend fall come draft day.

Last lb drafted in the TOP10 Dan Morgan.

T Suggs was #10 in '03. Morgan was a #11 overall pick.

Before that there were more than a few picked high in the draft.

buddha
03-03-2006, 07:33 AM
greenway = scott fujita

Thanks Laz...I thought the same thing.

We can do better with that pick.

jspchief
03-03-2006, 08:11 AM
Thanks Laz...I thought the same thing.

We can do better with that pick.I get the distinct feeling that neither of you guys have seen Greenway play very much.

htismaqe
03-03-2006, 08:13 AM
ROFL

Some people here really are morons. A finalist for every defensive award known to man and the top LB in the Big 10 over the last 2 years is no better than Scott Fujita.

I think some of you are genuinely retarded.

jspchief
03-03-2006, 09:06 AM
I'd honestly like to hear the specifics of the comparison to Fujita. In what ways are they comparable?

And I'm also curious as to how often the guys that are making that comparison have actually watched Greenway play. I really believe you guys are speaking from a position of ignorance.

Iowanian
03-03-2006, 09:11 AM
Indeed.

Lufa Totapu didn't exactly put up thrilling numbers at the combine last year.....I'm sure Teddy Bruschi didn't project very high or he wouldn't have been a project for the pats....

Greenway is a football player. He's got good size, acceptable speed, has proven himself to be a reliable tackler and is good in coverage. He's got a great motor and determination.

If combine stats meant much.....every player that ran a 4.2 40 would be a supah-stah....and we all know thats just not the case. Alot of the Workout Warriors from the Combine fall flat on their faces in the NFL.

I'm not convinced that Greenway should be the pick if he's available, but I've watched him play enough to know I'd be damn happy to see him in KC if he is selected.

htismaqe
03-03-2006, 09:22 AM
I remember people busting on Bob Sanders because he was "too short". He's one of the best in the league.

And of course, people bashed the Colts' choice of Dallas Clark too. And people pimped Erasmus James over Matt Roth.

I don't know precisely why, but it seems that this happens with every player coming out of Iowa.

jspchief
03-03-2006, 09:31 AM
I don't know precisely why, but it seems that this happens with every player coming out of Iowa.I think there's some people on this site that like to disparage all things Hawkeye.

HolmeZz
03-03-2006, 10:48 AM
I think there's some people on this site that like to disparage all things Hawkeye.

PARANOIA CHA CHA CHA

Mr. Laz
03-03-2006, 10:55 AM
I think there's some people on this site that like to disparage all things Hawkeye.
break out the tinfoil hats

gonna be mangina blood all over the cornfields of iowa

jspchief
03-03-2006, 11:04 AM
Maybe it is paranoia.

I just see people saying Ferentz sucks as a coach, even though he's been an NCAA coach of the year. He's not a viable NFL coach, even though he's constantly courted by NFL teams. Greenway sucks, in spite of all his success and accolades in college. The BBall team sucks, even though they are top 25 with a high RPI.

There's a lot of baseless Hawkeye bashing. I can only assume that people are either that ignorant, or they are doing it to get a rise out of Hawk fans.

I'm still waiting for the reasons why Greenway is comparable to Fujita. Someone dispell my paranoia and back up their statements.

HolmeZz
03-03-2006, 11:24 AM
I've never said Ferentz sucks. I like him.

I've never said Greenway 'sucks'. I do think his accolades have overrated him as a prospect. If you look at his skill set, the only thing he does that I'd consider 1st round material is his coverage ability. I never thought he was particularly strong, and that was before his combine showing. For the record, I don't back to Greenway/Fujita comparison.

I never said Iowa's BBall team sucked either. What I said was that LSU deserved a higher seed and that Iowa wasn't a very good road team. I think both have proved themselves true the last couple weeks since I said that.

For what it's worth, I like Abdul Hodge alot and Clinton Solomon's one of my biggest sleepers in the draft.

buddha
03-03-2006, 11:27 AM

And there are some people on this site that can't get past their loyalties to Iowa either...apparently.

I've seen Greenway play on several occassions. Is it somehow disrespecting him saying that I think he's a end of the first round, early second round kind of prospect? If he turns out to be a better pro than Fujita, I'll gladly eat crow...if not, you Iowa guys agree to do the same. Deal?

The combines are only part of the evaluation, but your boy should have spent more time in the weight room at a Big 10 program.

Spicy McHaggis
03-03-2006, 12:25 PM

So what you're saying is the first round is for drafting guys that can PLAY FOOTBALL like Greenway most obviously can do. But only if those football players can lift 225 pounds more than X number of times.

htismaqe
03-03-2006, 04:32 PM
I've never said Ferentz sucks. I like him.

I've never said Greenway 'sucks'. I do think his accolades have overrated him as a prospect. If you look at his skill set, the only thing he does that I'd consider 1st round material is his coverage ability. I never thought he was particularly strong, and that was before his combine showing. For the record, I don't back to Greenway/Fujita comparison.

I never said Iowa's BBall team sucked either. What I said was that LSU deserved a higher seed and that Iowa wasn't a very good road team. I think both have proved themselves true the last couple weeks since I said that.

For what it's worth, I like Abdul Hodge alot and Clinton Solomon's one of my biggest sleepers in the draft.

Actually, Greenway's coverage ability is nowhere near as good as his ability to stop the run. The question is whether he can do that as well in a 4-3 defense in the NFL, particularly one like Gunther's. Iowa deploys a 2-gap scheme for the most part and relies on defensive linemen to "occupy" while the linebackers clean up.

As for Iowa's basketball team, they play in the Big 10. LSU plays in the SEC. How did Illinois do on the road? Or Michigan State? Iowa plays in the toughest conference in the nation, and that's backed up by the polls and the RPI.

I think Abdul Hodge is a better pro prospect than Greenway myself. And while Solomon has always had SOME issues with drops, he's got ALOT of potential, so I absolutely agree with you there.

htismaqe
03-03-2006, 04:33 PM
Paranoia?

Crying?

Well, I guess if that's what you wanna call it when we hand you your ass in an argument.

:D

htismaqe
03-03-2006, 04:35 PM
And there are some people on this site that can't get past their loyalties to Iowa either...apparently.

I've seen Greenway play on several occassions. Is it somehow disrespecting him saying that I think he's a end of the first round, early second round kind of prospect? If he turns out to be a better pro than Fujita, I'll gladly eat crow...if not, you Iowa guys agree to do the same. Deal?

The combines are only part of the evaluation, but your boy should have spent more time in the weight room at a Big 10 program.

Nobody got on you about suggesting he was a late 1st/early 2nd project. Oh wait, that's because YOU DIDN'T SAY IT.

Instead you compared him to a 5th-rounder that was lucky to make a roster because he played for the worst defense in the league.

Mr. Laz
03-03-2006, 04:40 PM
Paranoia?

Crying?

Well, I guess if that's what you wanna call it when we hand you your ass in an argument.

delusions...

every time someone doesn't respond to a parker post it means he won the argument and the other guy is just scared.

ROFL

htismaqe
03-03-2006, 04:42 PM
delusions...

every time someone doesn't respond to a parker post it means he won the argument and the other guy is just scared.

ROFL

Of course, posts like this are also admissions of defeat.

HolmeZz
03-03-2006, 04:49 PM
Actually, Greenway's coverage ability is nowhere near as good as his ability to stop the run. The question is whether he can do that as well in a 4-3 defense in the NFL, particularly one like Gunther's. Iowa deploys a 2-gap scheme for the most part and relies on defensive linemen to "occupy" while the linebackers clean up.

As for Iowa's basketball team, they play in the Big 10. LSU plays in the SEC. How did Illinois do on the road? Or Michigan State? Iowa plays in the toughest conference in the nation, and that's backed up by the polls and the RPI.

I think Abdul Hodge is a better pro prospect than Greenway myself. And while Solomon has always had SOME issues with drops, he's got ALOT of potential, so I absolutely agree with you there.

1. He tailed off this year in run support after Roth and Babineaux left. I thought he got taken out of plays quite a bit. Might not be strong enough to fight off blockers at the next level. I'm not sure he's strong enough to be an impact one on one tackler at the next level either. He relied quite a bit on gang tackling at Iowa. I do like his coverage ability though. He's got the height and I think he has the speed to stay with most tight ends in this league. He also takes good angles in pursuit. Like I said before, I think he'll do well in a cover 2. I don't think he'll ever be a dominant impact player though.

2. The toughest conference in the country is the Big East, but I'm not going to get into that. LSU has a higher poll ranking and RPI rating than Iowa.

Reaper16
03-03-2006, 05:03 PM
There is no comparison between Greenway and Fujita, guyz! Fujita has been there/done that as an NFL starter!!!

If Greenway wants to be drafted so high, WHY DOESN'T HE PROVE IT IN THE NFL FRIST :harumph:

htismaqe
03-03-2006, 07:38 PM
1. He tailed off this year in run support after Roth and Babineaux left. I thought he got taken out of plays quite a bit. Might not be strong enough to fight off blockers at the next level. I'm not sure he's strong enough to be an impact one on one tackler at the next level either. He relied quite a bit on gang tackling at Iowa. I do like his coverage ability though. He's got the height and I think he has the speed to stay with most tight ends in this league. He also takes good angles in pursuit. Like I said before, I think he'll do well in a cover 2. I don't think he'll ever be a dominant impact player though.

2. The toughest conference in the country is the Big East, but I'm not going to get into that. LSU has a higher poll ranking and RPI rating than Iowa.

Yes, he tailed off. So did Hodge. That's what happens when you have 2 freshman and 2 sophomores in front of you. Even the great Ray Lewis says that it all starts up front.

Fight off blockers? Sounds like the ludicrous assessment of Derrick Johnson last year. I won't even get into it.

Relied on gang tackling? He was almost ALWAYS the first guy there, and he was by far the best open-field tackler on the team. There wasn't anybody in the Big 10 better.

htismaqe
03-03-2006, 07:39 PM
There is no comparison between Greenway and Fujita, guyz! Fujita has been there/done that as an NFL starter!!!

If Greenway wants to be drafted so high, WHY DOESN'T HE PROVE IT IN THE NFL FRIST :harumph:

ROFL

jspchief
03-03-2006, 09:03 PM

He's strong/quick enough to get off blockers. And to say he relied on gang tackling couln't be further from the truth. He's an excellent tackler. Maybe not a thumper, but uses outstanding technique, and is great in the open field. Excellent awareness on the field. IMO, he'll be one of those guys that will seem like he's in on every play. He flows to the ball so well.

buddha
03-08-2006, 04:49 PM
Nobody got on you about suggesting he was a late 1st/early 2nd project. Oh wait, that's because YOU DIDN'T SAY IT.

Nice research skills! :clap:

htismaqe
03-08-2006, 05:06 PM
Nice research skills! :clap:

I missed your first couple of posts.

Probably because your opinion on the subject is retarded.

Halfcan
03-08-2006, 10:11 PM

Hell I can do 20.

buddha
03-08-2006, 10:29 PM
I missed your first couple of posts.

Probably because your opinion on the subject is retarded.

You would think that after 47K+ posts that you could come up with something better than that. Insults don't prove your point.

Miles
03-08-2006, 10:48 PM
You would think that after 47K+ posts that you could come up with something better than that. Insults don't prove your point.

Watch out what you say about Iowa players. He may point out how great Roth looked as a 4th DE for Miami last year to prove a point.

I think he was mostly messing with you on relying heavily on combine results rather than watching him actually play. Htismaqe has some great takes and knows what he is talking about.

jspchief
03-09-2006, 06:45 AM
Hell I can do 20.Somehow, I doubt it.

htismaqe
03-09-2006, 07:37 AM

There's no point to prove. Your idiotic comments speak for themselves.

htismaqe
03-09-2006, 07:38 AM
Watch out what you say about Iowa players. He may point out how great Roth looked as a 4th DE for Miami last year to prove a point.

I think he was mostly messing with you on relying heavily on combine results rather than watching him actually play. Htismaqe has some great takes and knows what he is talking about.

Or I may point out that while several here were thinking Iowa QB Brad Banks would make a good mid-round pick, I was telling them that it was a bad idea and he wasn't NFL material...

buddha
03-09-2006, 12:10 PM
There's no point to prove. Your idiotic comments speak for themselves.

As to do yours, my friend. Thanks for the discussion.

htismaqe
03-09-2006, 02:36 PM
As to do yours, my friend. Thanks for the discussion.

ROFL

My argument - consensus All Big Ten player, near the top in the nation in tackles 2 years in a row, finalist for multiple awards including Butkus, highly regarded by NFL scouts as a mid-1st round pick

Your argument - he only did 16 reps

There was no discussion. That's your way of admitting you got owned.

ct
03-09-2006, 03:00 PM
Only 16 reps proves Chad Greenway is a puzzy, and will get blown up in the NFL, is just as likely that Junior Siavii's massive 12-inch hands made him a dominant force in the middle of the DLine.

Watch some game tapes, then lets discuss prospects.

Chiefnj
03-09-2006, 03:42 PM
At least he's stronger than Jared Allen. That wuss only lifted the bar 13 times. The lowest by a DL at the 2004 combine.

Mr. Laz
03-09-2006, 11:43 PM
At least he's stronger than Jared Allen. That wuss only lifted the bar 13 times. The lowest by a DL at the 2004 combine.

allen doesn't look much stronger now

Mr. Laz
03-09-2006, 11:44 PM
parkers never met a Iowa player he wouldn't blow ROFL

htismaqe
03-10-2006, 09:03 AM
parkers never met a Iowa player he wouldn't blow ROFL

Like I said, you must have conveniently ignored the conversations about Brad Banks...

Mr. Laz
03-10-2006, 10:46 AM
Like I said, you must have conveniently ignored the conversations about Brad Banks...
sorry ... must of missed that argument

must of been because i'm secretly so intimidated by your amazing intellect that i was afraid to get involved.

ya, that's the ticket! PBJ

htismaqe
03-10-2006, 11:28 AM
sorry ... must of missed that argument

must of been because i'm secretly so intimidated by your amazing intellect that i was afraid to get involved.

ya, that's the ticket! PBJ

No sweat. Alot of people are intimidated by my amazing intellect.

keg in kc
03-10-2006, 01:06 PM
So, when are you two getting married? Or are you already? 'cause you sure act like it.

Mr. Laz
03-10-2006, 01:33 PM
So, when are you two getting married? Or are you already? 'cause you sure act like it.
i tell parker that i don't swing that way but he just keeps asking ...

i guess he's tired of Sheep (http://tinyurl.com/gn8qv) :)

htismaqe
03-10-2006, 01:36 PM

Yet another that's intimidated by my amazing intellect...

htismaqe
03-10-2006, 01:37 PM
i tell parker that i don't swing that way but he just keeps asking ...

i guess he's tired of Sheep (http://tinyurl.com/gn8qv) :)

Sheep is a Mizzourah thing...

keg in kc
03-11-2006, 12:26 AM
Yet another that's intimidated by my amazing intellect...The only amazing intellect I'm intimidated by is my own.

htismaqe
03-11-2006, 11:38 AM
The only amazing intellect I'm intimidated by is my own.

You should really stop touching yourself.

Mr. Laz
03-11-2006, 11:40 AM
Sheep is a Mizzourah thing...
true dat ...

glad i live in kansas :p