PDA

View Full Version : If Warfield doesn't return, who plays CB?

Count Alex's Wins
03-02-2006, 07:14 PM
Benny Sapp? Dewayne Washington? A rookie? A FA?

WILLIAM BARTEE?

nychief
03-02-2006, 07:15 PM
herm edwards.

Saulbadguy
03-02-2006, 07:18 PM
Julian Battle.

Count Alex's Wins
03-02-2006, 07:22 PM
Julian Battle.

I'm so confident in his ability after that injury I forgot to list him in the thread starter.

Reaper16
03-02-2006, 07:22 PM
Alphonzo Hodge

nychief
03-02-2006, 07:23 PM
Julian Battle.

yes the converted safety with the bad leg, he is the answer.

Saulbadguy
yes the converted safety with the bad leg, he is the answer.
Sounds about right, doesn't it?

Cherryontop
Cherryontop.
Just kidding. There are a lot of corners already getting cut who are better than Warfield.
Charles from Oakland, Madison and Law to start.

Our replacement does not have to be from our current roster. We have more cuts to come, we have free agency and we have the draft.

HMc
03-02-2006, 07:24 PM
Dale Carter.

CoMoChief
03-02-2006, 07:26 PM
Ray Crockett still around?

JBucc
03-02-2006, 07:28 PM
We'll resign him cheaper. No one else wants his drunk ass.

Scalper
03-02-2006, 07:29 PM
ty law

Reaper16
03-02-2006, 07:30 PM
Patrick Surtain

Woodrow Call
03-02-2006, 07:33 PM
Woodson

nychief
03-02-2006, 07:34 PM
I can believe I have not read RICH SCANLON yet.

alanm
03-02-2006, 07:43 PM
Cherryontop.
Just kidding. There are a lot of corners already getting cut who are better than Warfield.
Charles from Oakland, Madison and Law to start.

Our replacement does not have to be from our current roster. We have more cuts to come, we have free agency and we have the draft.
We have no money. :( :banghead: :deevee:

chefsos
03-02-2006, 07:48 PM
That's because Scanlon will be the front seven, rendering all cornerbacks, of course, unneccessary.

morphius
03-02-2006, 07:49 PM
Hodge is my pick, unlss we get a FA.

nychief
03-02-2006, 07:50 PM

why? he could not even make the team last year. I liked him in college, but I am not going to hold my breath that he will be a star.

of the current DBs I would chose Sapp, ugh.

TEX
03-02-2006, 08:39 PM
why? he could not even make the team last year. I liked him in college, but I am not going to hold my breath that he will be a star.

Yep. And he excells in everything except coverage.

CoMoChief
03-02-2006, 08:50 PM
Herm is all about the younger guys getting chances and the way our situation is with respect to cap money (in which we have none!) We are gonna have to go with a 1st or 2nd year player, unless Battle comes back strong which I doubt.

Count Alex's Wins
03-02-2006, 08:52 PM
Herm is all about the younger guys getting chances

Not really.

CoMoChief
03-02-2006, 09:00 PM
Not really.

Thats what he said in his interview.

Reaper16
03-02-2006, 09:04 PM

You know DAMN WELL that DV wouldn't boot one of his precious vets like McCleon off the team in favor of a rook.

Hodge was shut-down in college; excellent coverage CB, and given the oppourtunity should be pretty damn good in the dime or nickel.

jspchief
03-02-2006, 09:18 PM
Kevin Dyson got cut by the Seahawks, I know some posters around here wanted him last year.

Of course, with the deadline shift, he may not be available afterall, and with the CBA problem, we probably couldn't pay him anyway.

Bob Dole
03-02-2006, 09:21 PM

Finally, someone gets it.

gblowfish
03-02-2006, 09:38 PM
I guess Bartee really did deserve to be picked in the second round.
Man...these pain pills I'm on are really messing with me...

Smed1065
03-02-2006, 10:15 PM
Madison, complete the Miami Triangle.

Guru
03-02-2006, 10:47 PM
I guess Bartee really did deserve to be picked in the second round.
Man...these pain pills I'm on are really messing with me...

Toast, funny stuff!!!

Miles
03-02-2006, 10:56 PM
Bartee maybe?

Im thinking it will be some cheap vet with a short term contract to compete with someone we pick up in the draft.

Mecca
03-02-2006, 11:04 PM
Kevin Dyson got cut by the Seahawks, I know some posters around here wanted him last year.

Of course, with the deadline shift, he may not be available afterall, and with the CBA problem, we probably couldn't pay him anyway.

You mean Andre?

I'm gonna take a wildshot and say it's someone who's not on the roster currently........

jspchief
03-02-2006, 11:06 PM
You mean Andre?

I'm gonna take a wildshot and say it's someone who's not on the roster currently........Oops. Yea Andre.

Kevin is the WR.

royr17
03-02-2006, 11:07 PM
Probably would be Julian Battle ...........

Spicy McHaggis
03-02-2006, 11:42 PM
Oops. Yea Andre.

Kevin is the WR.

Andre was hurt about half the season IIRC but really it was the first significant time he had missed in his career. The cut was due more to his cap number than his skill level, he is still fairly young and I think he'd be a good #2.*

*Normal disclaimer on cap issues (We really need a new CBA)

kregger
03-03-2006, 12:16 AM
You didn't hear? He's been cut because he won't restructure the
$15,000,000 roster bonus he's due.

greg63
03-03-2006, 12:22 AM
Rich Scanlon. :p

BIG K
03-03-2006, 12:37 AM
Benny Sapp? Dewayne Washington? A rookie? A FA?

WILLIAM BARTEE?

How weird would it be for the Chief's to actually draft a CB to play the position of CB instead of drafting a S to play the position......? Other than that, I got nuthin..

luv
03-03-2006, 12:39 AM
How weird would it be for the Chief's to actually draft a CB to play the position of CB instead of drafting a S to play the position......? Other than that, I got nuthin..
Draft a CB to play CB? Now how much sense would that make?

BIG K
03-03-2006, 12:40 AM
Draft a CB to play CB? Now how much sense would that make?

Oh sure, now the entertainment shows up when I am heading for bed. ROFL

luv
03-03-2006, 12:43 AM
Oh sure, now the entertainment shows up when I am heading for bed. ROFL
It's only 10:43 in California. You must be getting OLD. :p

This is my prime. I just got home from work.

BIG K
03-03-2006, 12:47 AM
It's only 10:43 in California. You must be getting OLD. :p

Yeah, I am old. My daughter told me so. :banghead: Gotta hit the rack though, got a three hour drive ahead of me t'morrow.

craneref
03-03-2006, 12:48 AM
If Chuck Norris isn't available to play CB then you got to give it to Scanlon, the other teams WR's would never get off the line!! :p

luv
03-03-2006, 12:48 AM
Yeah, I am old. My daughter told me so. :banghead: Gotta hit the rack though, got a three hour drive ahead of me t'morrow.
G'night, and drive safe.

BIG K
03-03-2006, 12:50 AM
G'night, and drive safe.

I always drive safe when I got precious cargo with me! :)

Did you get that p.m?

luv
03-03-2006, 12:51 AM
I always drive safe when I got precious cargo with me! :)

Did you get that p.m?
Nope.

SNR
03-03-2006, 12:53 AM
Why don't they just ask Warfield to restructure? This is a retarded move if they don't get someone of equal or better talent to replace him.

Sapp is a permanent nickelback, since he excels at that position.

Washington, if re-signed, is valuable depth

BIG K
03-03-2006, 12:55 AM
Nope.

Try again. Sent it about two hours ago. I'll check back in the mornining. Good night all!

Deberg_1990
03-03-2006, 03:15 AM
Why don't they just ask Warfield to restructure? This is a retarded move if they don't get someone of equal or better talent to replace him.

Im sure alot of it has to do with: The team doesnt want to deal with his drunk butt anymore. Hes not worth the headaches anymore. No big deal, some of you act like we just cut LJ.

tk13
03-03-2006, 03:23 AM
I still say that I don't think Gun was all that fond of Warfield from the get go. As much as people get on DV for supposedly liking McCleon I think DV might have had more with Warfield hanging around than Gun did...

DaWolf
03-03-2006, 05:30 AM
Thank goodness that dead weight is off our team.

I personally have more faith in Julian Battle than most people here. Provided he has recovered, I like his ability and if he has wrapped his head around the position mentally over the last two years, the guy's got the ability. Gun had faith in him last year, it's just too bad he got hurt.

We'll probably draft a corner on the first day too...

Cormac
03-03-2006, 08:40 AM

I personally have more faith in Julian Battle than most people here. Provided he has recovered, I like his ability and if he has wrapped his head around the position mentally over the last two years, the guy's got the ability. Gun had faith in him last year, it's just too bad he got hurt.

I see Battle being "Warfield: The Next Generation". He gets all the accolades that Warfield used to get - size, speed, athleticism etc - but has the same downfalls - played at least some S in college, doesn't really seem to understand the position - and had a huge penchant for PI calls. I think Warfield played very well overall the last 3 seasons, much better than he gets credit for. Above any position on an NFL roster, the CB position is a thankless one. It's almost impossible to play given the way the games are called. We invested all those years into Warfield, and now that he is finally playing well (IMO) and is paired with a pro-bowler, we have to break up the tandem. I, for one, am not happy about it at all. I'm not saying he's better than Ty Law or Sam Madison, but he's younger, and even at his current contract was almost certainly cheaper too. I hope Battle steps up, but I'll be surprised if we don't miss Warfield next season.

JMO.

TEX
03-03-2006, 08:55 AM

What has Battle ever shown to give anyone faith tha he can be a starting CB in the NFL? The guy can't cover, and when he's anywhere near the receiver, he gets flagged.

TEX
03-03-2006, 08:57 AM

Sapp is a permanent nickelback, since he excels at that position.

Washington, if re-signed, is valuable depth

Yep. And all Battle has done is prove that he can't cover anyone without getting flagged.

DaWolf
03-03-2006, 09:49 AM
OK, I'll give you two reasons. Three if you'd like.

A) Dale Carter was also similar to the Warfield and Bartee and Battle situations. He managed to work out because he had the mental toughness to play the position. Now I could be 100% wrong on this, but from what I've read Battle has a tougher mental makeup than Warfield or Bartee. Some guys can make the transition and some can't.

B) Kawika Mitchell also sucked major donkey balls until this past year. Just because a guy sucks as a rookie doesn't mean he won't ever be any good.

C) You'll have a tough time finding many rookie CBs who don't get their ass beat their first year. I'm not concerned about how much he sucked year 1. I'm concerned with how well he learns and how good his mental makeup is. Because players develop and they become better. And like it or not, it's time for our defensive youngsters to step up to the plate. So I'm anxious to put him out there and see what he's got and how far he's come.

Now he may flame out and suck worse than Bartee, but there's only one way to find out. We'll see what happens in OTAs and training camp...

StcChief
03-03-2006, 01:25 PM

A) Dale Carter was also similar to the Warfield and Bartee and Battle situations. He managed to work out because he had the mental toughness to play the position. Now I could be 100% wrong on this, but from what I've read Battle has a tougher mental makeup than Warfield or Bartee. Some guys can make the transition and some can't.

B) Kawika Mitchell also sucked major donkey balls until this past year. Just because a guy sucks as a rookie doesn't mean he won't ever be any good.

C) You'll have a tough time finding many rookie CBs who don't get their ass beat their first year. I'm not concerned about how much he sucked year 1. I'm concerned with how well he learns and how good his mental makeup is. Because players develop and they become better. And like it or not, it's time for our defensive youngsters to step up to the plate. So I'm anxious to put him out there and see what he's got and how far he's come.

Now he may flame out and suck worse than Bartee, but there's only one way to find out. We'll see what happens in OTAs and training camp...
I agree.

I would like to see what he can really do. This has to give him encouragement to compete at CB with Warfield gone.

I like his upside age, aggressiveness, seems committed, will he be a good CB ???

Simply Red
03-03-2006, 01:31 PM
"He Hate Me".

Cormac
03-03-2006, 01:35 PM

Fair points. All of 'em. I'm just concerned about the possibility of heading into the season with an unproven CB. Whether that is a rookie, Sapp, Hodge or Battle, I don't care. Because of your point (C). I was perfectly happy with our CB tandem until yesterday. Now we face playing an unproven player (who might work out great), or paying big money for a replacement for a good player in Warfield. It may have no bearing on our upcoming season's record, but, like I said, CB was a position that didn't concern me until yesterday. Now it's part of a long list.....;)

Cormac
03-03-2006, 01:35 PM
BTW, I hope you're right about Battle's mental fortitude. That would be a huge bonus.

ct
03-03-2006, 01:38 PM

ditto

SNR
03-03-2006, 01:43 PM
Im sure alot of it has to do with: The team doesnt want to deal with his drunk butt anymore. Hes not worth the headaches anymore. No big deal, some of you act like we just cut LJ.I can understand that, but if we're just going to cut our starters and not bother to replace them with some free agents, then why DON'T we just outright cut LJ?

Mecca
03-03-2006, 01:49 PM
I can understand that, but if we're just going to cut our starters and not bother to replace them with some free agents, then why DON'T we just outright cut LJ?

Because Eric Warfield is 30 years old, we know what he is and honestly I don't think it's good enough. Let's not mention he does have off the field problems that affect the team.

Personally, I think it's about time these guys got cut. The Chiefs defense has been so bad why not go young? Our team needs youth badly these cuts could easily be a blessing in disguise.

SNR
03-03-2006, 01:50 PM
Because Eric Warfield is 30 years old, we know what he is and honestly I don't think it's good enough. Let's not mention he does have off the field problems that affect the team.

Personally, I think it's about time these guys got cut. The Chiefs defense has been so bad why not go young? Our team needs youth badly these cuts could easily be a blessing in disguise.
Julian Battle
Benny Sapp
Alphonso Hodge

There's something about that list that doesn't exactly make me excited to see the Chiefs 2006 secondary in action

Mecca
03-03-2006, 01:51 PM
Julian Battle
Benny Sapp
Alphonso Hodge

There's something about that list that doesn't exactly make me excited to see the Chiefs 2006 secondary in action

Because I'm sure the Chiefs made those cuts without the plans to sign or draft a corner......I'd bet this team if they don't sign a FA corner drafts one in the first 2 rounds.

SNR
03-03-2006, 01:53 PM
Because I'm sure the Chiefs made those cuts without the plans to sign or draft a corner......I'd bet this team if they don't sign a FA corner drafts one in the first 2 rounds.I don't want a rookie that doesn't know his head from his ass. I want an experienced CB who knows what he's doing.

So, either it's Warfield, a free agent, or I'm one pissed off fan

Mecca
03-03-2006, 01:57 PM
I don't want a rookie that doesn't know his head from his ass. I want an experienced CB who knows what he's doing.

So, either it's Warfield, a free agent, or I'm one pissed off fan

You have to go young at a position at some point or you end up like well our team where every player we have who's any good is over 30.

You gotta put young guys out there and let them play at some point, the Eagles do it frequently and it works out. If you keep signing corners instead of drafting them you end up paying them a ton of money because that's a high dollar FA position.

Your team should be built through the draft and tweaked with FA not the other way around. Which is of course a major problem with our team and why it's so old.

Chief Roundup
03-03-2006, 03:40 PM
Warfield might get his spot back. Because we can undo any of the cuts we have made.
Peterson said that Ty Law was not really an option because of his age and it would be short term.
So it will either be Battle or Sapp.

Line Judge
03-03-2006, 05:14 PM
Please what is the best CB at the 52nd position? I don't want to miss out on Broderick Bunkley or Tamba Hali because we have to draft a cb to make up for Warfield. (One of the DLs will be there at the 20th -right?)

SNR
03-03-2006, 05:28 PM
You have to go young at a position at some point or you end up like well our team where every player we have who's any good is over 30.

You gotta put young guys out there and let them play at some point, the Eagles do it frequently and it works out. If you keep signing corners instead of drafting them you end up paying them a ton of money because that's a high dollar FA position.

Your team should be built through the draft and tweaked with FA not the other way around. Which is of course a major problem with our team and why it's so old.I was under the impression this team was playing with a "window of opportunity"

beer bacon
03-03-2006, 06:07 PM
Please what is the best CB at the 52nd position? I don't want to miss out on Broderick Bunkley or Tamba Hali because we have to draft a cb to make up for Warfield. (One of the DLs will be there at the 20th -right?)

I have seen a bunch of mocks with us taking Jonathan Joseph in the second round, but I don't know shit about him.

Mecca
03-03-2006, 08:50 PM
Warfield might get his spot back. Because we can undo any of the cuts we have made.
Peterson said that Ty Law was not really an option because of his age and it would be short term.
So it will either be Battle or Sapp.

They showed part of an interview with Herm on the news at 6 on KSHB and Herm said "the players we cut so far would have been cut anyway." So I don't see any of those people being pulled back now........

He also said Will Shields wasn't going anywhere and retire a member of the Chiefs when he was ready for that to happen.

Chief Roundup
03-03-2006, 09:00 PM
They showed part of an interview with Herm on the news at 6 on KSHB and Herm said "the players we cut so far would have been cut anyway." So I don't see any of those people being pulled back now........

He also said Will Shields wasn't going anywhere and retire a member of the Chiefs when he was ready for that to happen.
Hadn't heard that. I was just throwing out the possibilities.

Chiefs Pantalones
03-04-2006, 11:16 AM
With the cutting of Warfield, I think either the Chiefs plan on getting a second tier FA, use a guy we already have, or maybe draft a guy and put him in there.

The point is Herm and Gun want to upgrade the Dline moreso because they think a better Dline and pass rush=better secondary.