PDA

View Full Version : Free Agency Delayed 3 Days: How Sweet if Denver Gets Reamed

Amnorix
03-02-2006, 08:51 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2351271

The NFL set the free agency start time back by 3 days in the hopes of resuscitating a deal.

How awesome woudl it be if they did a deal, the salary cap goes up to $110M or so, and Denver cut Trevor Pryce anyway...

ROFL

Jayhawkerman2001
03-02-2006, 08:53 PM
i thought i heard that all people that have been cut in the past couple days weren't cut anymore... i could be wrong, but not sure.

Amnorix
03-02-2006, 08:53 PM
Oh rats. Never mind:

"A high-level source with one NFL team told ESPN.com the league has informed teams that any player placed on waivers during this period of uncertainty can be recalled from waivers until there is more clarity about the pending free-agency period. "

Mile High Mania
03-02-2006, 08:59 PM
Amno, you really need to let go of the playoff loss... word is that Pryce was likely going to be cut anyway b/c of the cap number of $8M+ Let's not forget that a 19 year old goober with a $500 webcam (www.jetstv.com) claims Denver is trading with the Jets for Abraham.

Carry on.

jspchief
03-02-2006, 09:20 PM
I think Denevr may have cut all those guys anyway.

Why else do it a day early when there was still a shot at the CBA getting done?

Count Alex's Losses
03-02-2006, 09:33 PM
Pryce is a POS anyway.

BigRock
03-02-2006, 09:37 PM
ESPN said earlier that the guys cut on Wednesday are gone, it's just the Thursday cuts that can be recalled. Whether or not that's true, I have no idea.

Mile High Mania
03-02-2006, 09:38 PM
Honestly, it doesn't matter... Pryce had a cap # that he didn't want to renegotiate, so even if the cap was $120M this year... he likely would have been waived.

Putz shouldn't have been given big money in the first place and Anderson... well, he's on the wrong side of 30... sad to see him let go.

HerculesRockefell
03-02-2006, 09:39 PM
and one more time, Pryce was gone regardless of a new CBA or not. Anderson was probably gone too. Putz wasn't definitely gone, but he wasn't a definite keeper either.

listopencil
03-02-2006, 09:41 PM
Oh rats. Never mind:

"A high-level source with one NFL team told ESPN.com the league has informed teams that any player placed on waivers during this period of uncertainty can be recalled from waivers until there is more clarity about the pending free-agency period. "

http://dts.ystoretools.com/1025/images/200x200/sinehama.jpg

HerculesRockefell
03-02-2006, 09:41 PM
Putz shouldn't have been given big money in the first place and Anderson... well, he's on the wrong side of 30... sad to see him let go.

He really didn't get big money, he got $1M upfront and pretty low base salary last year. The Jets just signed him to an offer sheet that would have forced the hand of whoever ended up with him. $3M of his cap number this year was an option bonus and incentives that had to count this year because of the lack of an '07 cap.

Smed1065
03-02-2006, 09:43 PM
Pryce was gone before CBA or not. :)

HMc
03-02-2006, 09:44 PM
so would the broncos have held onto pryce with a new CBA?

listopencil
03-02-2006, 09:52 PM
so would the broncos have held onto pryce with a new CBA?

They told him last year that he would have to take less and let him seek a trade if he wasn't happy with it. He and his agent hemmed and hawed until the last minute. No one wanted his deal and last year's salary came down so he could stay with Denver. The same thing happened this year but he said he wouldn't take less. Instead of letting the situation drag out they cut him when the deadline popped up.

HerculesRockefell
03-02-2006, 09:55 PM
They told him last year that he would have to take less and let him seek a trade if he wasn't happy with it. He and his agent hemmed and hawed until the last minute. No one wanted his deal and last year's salary came down so he could stay with Denver. The same thing happened this year but he said he wouldn't take less. Instead of letting the situation drag out they cut him when the deadline popped up.

I think Shanahan got tired of the yearly refusal by Trevor to re-do his deal when everyone else on the team was willing to. It's not like he'd get any less money, they'd just spread out the hit. I think he only took a paycut last year after he realized that the most he'd make was in Denver, even after a paycut. No one was going to give him much coming off a back injury.

listopencil
03-02-2006, 10:00 PM
I think Shanahan got tired of the yearly refusal by Trevor to re-do his deal when everyone else on the team was willing to. It's not like he'd get any less money, they'd just spread out the hit. I think he only took a paycut last year after he realized that the most he'd make was in Denver, even after a paycut. No one was going to give him much coming off a back injury.

He has certainly had a mercenary approach to his contract for quite a while. Live by the sword, die by the sword I guess.

Taco John
03-03-2006, 12:41 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2351271

The NFL set the free agency start time back by 3 days in the hopes of resuscitating a deal.

How awesome woudl it be if they did a deal, the salary cap goes up to $110M or so, and Denver cut Trevor Pryce anyway...

ROFL

These are all players we were going to cut regardless of the cap. Trevor Pryce was getting paid out of proportion with regards to his production, and there was no point in even restructuring. Better to clear the books and see if he wants to come back at a reduced price, or let him fly to a team willing to over pay him.

King_Chief_Fan
03-03-2006, 07:23 AM
These are all players we were going to cut regardless of the cap. Trevor Pryce was getting paid out of proportion with regards to his production, and there was no point in even restructuring. Better to clear the books and see if he wants to come back at a reduced price, or let him fly to a team willing to over pay him.
This is one I will agree with TJ on.
This was not a stupid move by the donks..... with that cut and should a new cap be established, they got more $$ to sign Abraham

htismaqe
03-03-2006, 08:58 AM
Nice donkey circle jerk going on here.

Amnorix
03-03-2006, 09:11 AM
Amno, you really need to let go of the playoff loss... word is that Pryce was likely going to be cut anyway b/c of the cap number of $8M+ Let's not forget that a 19 year old goober with a $500 webcam (www.jetstv.com) claims Denver is trading with the Jets for Abraham.

Carry on.

Has nothing to do with the playoff loss, actually. I've disliked Denver for years. Elway/Marino posters didn't exactly hang on my bedroom walls, just so you know.