PDA

View Full Version : Abraham to Broncos

Wa-Z
03-02-2006, 09:58 PM
Just a rumor...I hope.

http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm

ABRAHAM TRADED TO BRONCOS?

A.J. Vaynerchuck of JetsTV.com reports that the New York Jets have struck a deal to ship defensive end John Abraham to the Broncos in exchange for a first-round pick.

We're in the process of trying to confirm the report.

The Broncos hold the 22nd and 29th picks in round one. Vaynerchuk believes that the 29th pick is being sent to New York.

Our guess is that the Jets might then try to dangle the two first-round picks in an effort to jump up even higher in the draft, possibly as high as the No. 1 overall spot on the board. The Texans could be tempted to make a deal, since it would enable them to snag a guy like tackle D'Brickashaw Ferguson at No. 4, giving them another first-rounder later in the day.

NFL teams use a chart that applies point values to draft picks for trade purposes. We don't know whether, under the chart, a No. 4 and a No. 29 would be enough to justify a trade up to No. 1. It's possible that the Jets might have to throw in another pick or two, if they indeed intend to make a run at the top spot.

The Jets slapped the franchise tag on Abraham a week ago, and Abraham has made clear his desire to get out of New York. The Jets have been shopping him for the past few days.

If the report is true, the Broncos' decision to cut on Wednesday defensive lineman Trevor Pryce, running back Mike Anderson, and tight end Jeb Putzier makes plenty of sense. The Broncos needed to clear cap room in order to absorb the new deal that Abraham undoubtedly will sign with the Jets, after putting his John Hancork on the franchise tag. The Jets then would trade the new contract to Denver.

To avoid a cap hit for the Jets, the deal undoubtedly will include not a signing bonus but an option bonus payment due within a few days after the trade is consummated, putting the entire responsibility for his cap number in 2006 and beyond (if there's a cap) on the Broncos.

jspchief
03-02-2006, 10:02 PM
Watch the report on Jets TV. It's a f*cking little kid that is making the report.

I don't buy it.

The Bad Guy
03-02-2006, 10:02 PM
If a 14-year old scoops this then that is very impressive.

However, I too, don't buy it.

HolmeZz
03-02-2006, 10:05 PM
The 14 year old looked like he was going to cream his jeans.

Simplex3
03-02-2006, 10:09 PM
Not even Abraham is worth a first and not even the rat is dumb enough to send a first for a DE.

Mecca
03-02-2006, 10:14 PM
Not even Abraham is worth a first and not even the rat is dumb enough to send a first for a DE.

You don't think John Abraham is worth a low first round pick? He's far better than any player they'd get at that pick.........

jspchief
03-02-2006, 10:18 PM
The biggest reason I think this is bullshit is because I don't believe anyone is going to do anything until they are sure of the situation with the CBA.

Abraham isn't going to settle for a contract that is hampered by the threat of no new CBA, and Denver isn't going to agree to a contract that might not be viable if the CBA doesn't pass.

Wa-Z
03-02-2006, 10:18 PM
Didn't know this was a repost...well kind of..

chefsos
03-02-2006, 10:33 PM
Didn't know this was a repost...well kind of..
Yeah, kind of...but the "kid with a webcam" angle is still funny. Every time.

DBroncos4life
03-02-2006, 10:53 PM
I don't buy it either but I guess this kid nailed who was going to be cut 4 days before they got cut.

SoCalBronco
03-02-2006, 10:57 PM
No Thanks.

Wa-Z
03-02-2006, 10:57 PM
He'll be an "expert" one day.

Guru
03-02-2006, 10:58 PM

I'm surprised ESPN hasn't already offered him a contract to be on their panel of "experts".

Mile High Mania
03-03-2006, 05:44 AM
I saw that and then went to www.theganggreen.com... this kid was posting there as well, on a thread where others were calling his report BS.

This kid is 19... bought a $500 camera and claims to have a source. I think it's likely a load of crap as well, but if he nails it... does he have more street cred than you know who at you know where?

I don't know what Abe's contract looks like, but I do know that his cap # this season is about $2M less than what Pryce was going to make... so, in that sense, he would be cheaper on the books than Pryce and he's better.

I just don't know..

Dave Lane
03-03-2006, 05:47 AM
Was this Nicks exes son?

Dave

Kerberos
03-03-2006, 06:31 AM

Was this Nicks exes son?

I was just thinking this kid is somehow related to Nick Athan.

If you looked up EXPERT in the dictionary wouldn't you find a picture of Athan there?

:D

Mile High Mania
03-03-2006, 06:34 AM
Did you guys go to www.jetstv.com and check out the video? Kinda funny...

jspchief
03-03-2006, 06:39 AM
Did you guys go to www.jetstv.com (http://www.jetstv.com) and check out the video? Kinda funny...Yea, nothing screams credibility like a 15 year-old doing a webcam report from his closet.

SBK
03-03-2006, 09:08 AM
We'll see if it's true or not, but it makes perfect sense. The Jets would have 2 #1's, and Denver used one of theirs on that big hole they have a DE.

I hate Denver.

phxchief
03-03-2006, 09:23 AM
We're in the process of trying to confirm the report.

Like f*ck are you, ProFraudTalk.

You're waiting until someone ELSE confirms it and then you'll make out YOU got the scoop.

That site is a joke.

Mile High Mania
03-03-2006, 09:54 AM
I really can't believe they published that with the friggin 19 year old kid as their 'source'.

Brock
03-03-2006, 11:00 AM
You don't think John Abraham is worth a low first round pick? He's far better than any player they'd get at that pick.........

Only if you can't see further than a year or two down the road.

Fried Meat Ball!
03-03-2006, 11:12 AM
Associated Press says otherwise. Jets looking for suitors, will NOT say who is interested. Abraham and Co. want to reach a deal with him, long-term, then reach an agreement with Jets regarding the trade.

Fried Meat Ball!
03-03-2006, 11:16 AM
Agents for Abraham officially looking for trade partners

By ANDREA ADELSON
AP Sports Writer

Several teams have expressed interest in acquiring Jets defensive end John Abraham, who has made it clear he wants out of New York.

Meanwhile, the Jets appear to be in a holding pattern with quarterback Chad Pennington, who needs to renegotiate his contract to stay with the team. They needed to get a deal done Thursday but got a reprieve when the start of free agency was delayed three days.

Abraham, who last week was placed with the franchise tag for the second straight year, probably won't play for the Jets again. His agents, Tony Agnone and Rich Rosa, said on a conference call Thursday that four or five teams said they were “definitely interested” in Abraham but declined to name them.

“Change is good and for John Abraham moving forward, change would be good for him,” Rosa said. “You get to a point in your career as a player when there's been some unfulfilled promises ... you have to move through that because it's a business. That's what we've been able to do with John, have his sights set on a brighter future.”

Abraham is unhappy the Jets have failed to deliver a long-term deal, even though they all but assured him they would if he played in every game in 2005. He did, but was given a one-year, $8.33 million franchise tender. Abraham has yet to sign it while his agents weigh their options.

“Unfortunately, great players from great teams end up on another team,” Rosa said. “This is a business decision and he's not an angry player. This is not about the money with John. This is about being somewhere and being a leader on a team that has a chance to win a championship.”

Agnone and Rosa said in the best case scenario, they would come to a long-term deal with an interested team and then have the new club work out a trade with the Jets. They hoped to have something done before the draft in April.

Last year, Abraham had 10.5 sacks even though he came in late to training camp. Abraham, a three-time Pro Bowl selection in six seasons, has 53.5 sacks, fourth on the team's all-time list.

Pennington said earlier this week he wants to stay with the Jets, but his base salary needs to be slashed in order for his contract to fit under the salary cap. The Jets were $26 million over a projected $94.5 million cap, and were also considering the futures of center Kevin Mawae and guard Pete Kendall.

According to published reports, the Jets have told Mawae he will be released. The 35-year-old six-time Pro Bowler will save the Jets only about $1.1 million against the salary cap, but is recovering from a torn triceps that caused him to miss the last 10 games of the season.

“Anytime you've been that much a part of a place, it's a hard thing to deal with,” agent Mark Bartelstein told the New York Post. “He's disappointed, but he also feels like he's in the prime of his career. We'll find the best place for him. There are not too many guys like Kevin Mawae out there. Any team that signs him is going to get an automatic upgrade.”

(Copyright 2006 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)

HerculesRockefell
03-03-2006, 01:06 PM
Abraham and Co. want to reach a deal with him, long-term, then reach an agreement with Jets regarding the trade.

They have to do that. Anyone who has been tendered (RFA, franchise, or transition) has to have a new contract in place before they can be traded. Teams cannot trade for guys simply on the one-year tenders. That was the biggest reason why it was BS that the deal was going down once FA starts.

ct
03-03-2006, 01:11 PM

I don't know what Abe's contract looks like, but I do know that his cap # this season is about $2M less than what Pryce was going to make... so, in that sense, he would be cheaper on the books than Pryce and he's better.

I just don't know..

He only has a cap# at all as the franchise tender value, which means nothing right now. A sign and trade is the only scenario for him to play elsewhere, cause no way any team gives up 2 1st round picks for him. I only say that so TJ and Shanahan will prove me wrong. ;)

Mile High Mania
03-03-2006, 01:13 PM
They wanted Putz really bad last year... maybe they should have kept Putz and offered him and a non-R1 pick or 2. heh