PDA

View Full Version : IPOD help

mcan
03-03-2006, 06:54 AM
Mods, please move this thread over to Geeks after it drops....

So, I've got my 60 Gig Video Ipod. i put some stuff on it from another friends' computer so I could use it while I figured out what to do... Now, I have a new computer with none of my music on it.

My question: If you guys were starting over, what program would you use for Windows XP to rip your music to the hard drive, how would you keep that music organized, and what program would you use to transfer that music to your Ipod? I hear that I-Tunes is a b!tch to work with on PC, and that it doesn't allow for moving files BACK to your computer from an Ipod... That's retarded... I'd like to avoid I-Tunes. Also, what file formats are best to use? Does anybody know how to get gap-less playback on the IPOD? I hate the little pauses between songs when I listen to Dark Side of the Moon.

Any and all input would be nice. I'd like to start off doing things the most convenient way, that way I don't paint myself into a corner spending hours ripping music and realizing that it sucks that way...

jspchief
03-03-2006, 06:57 AM
I don't think I tunes is a bitch to work with at all. But I'm no expert.

Why would you need to move the files back to your computer?

I believe you can set the length of pause between songs.

morphius
03-03-2006, 07:02 AM
I don't have any more problems with ITunes then I do any of the other players out there for organizing and playing music on a PC. It is obviously the best to work with an IPod by far, I'm guessing. Winamp is far behind in the mp3 player sync game, and who wants to use media player for anything?

For ripping I use CDEX, haven't had an issue with it and it has been around for ages.

mcan
03-03-2006, 07:02 AM
I don't think I tunes is a bitch to work with at all. But I'm no expert.

Why would you need to move the files back to your computer?

I believe you can set the length of pause between songs.

Why to move back? So that you can pull music off your ipod that you got from somebody else's computer... Burn mixed CDs... Etc... There are a TON of uses for that functionality.

Setting the length of of pause only works on ITunes, from what I've read. Once you put it onto your Ipod, it's back to slight gaps. Unless I'm messing up somehow. I've heard that by using the AUTO feature for putting songs on your IPOD instead of manual makes the gaps go away, but I don't want to try that because the AUTO feature erases everything on your IPOD first... Since I got all my stuff from my friend's computer, and since I can't move those songs to my computer first, I'd lose everything I have. For now, that's not a big deal because I'm thinking about starting over. But later (once I've got everything on there that I want) starting over would really suck...

mcan
03-03-2006, 07:04 AM
I don't have any more problems with ITunes then I do any of the other players out there for organizing and playing music on a PC. It is obviously the best to work with an IPod by far, I'm guessing. Winamp is far behind in the mp3 player sync game, and who wants to use media player for anything?

For ripping I use CDEX, haven't had an issue with it and it has been around for ages.

What file format do you save your music as? Does it rip really fast? That's another thing... Ripping an album to Itunes takes several minutes... I have hundreds of CDs I'd like to get onto my computer quickly.

jspchief
03-03-2006, 07:06 AM
Why to move back? So that you can pull music off your ipod that you got from somebody else's computer... Burn mixed CDs... Etc... There are a TON of uses for that functionality.

Setting the length of of pause only works on ITunes, from what I've read. Once you put it onto your Ipod, it's back to slight gaps. Unless I'm messing up somehow. I've heard that by using the AUTO feature for putting songs on your IPOD instead of manual makes the gaps go away, but I don't want to try that because the AUTO feature erases everything on your IPOD first... Since I got all my stuff from my friend's computer, and since I can't move those songs to my computer first, I'd lose everything I have. For now, that's not a big deal because I'm thinking about starting over. But later (once I've got everything on there that I want) starting over would really suck...
1. Ahh, yea. Makes sense. I have no idea if you can do it or not, with I-tunes or any other program. I've never tried.

2. I can't say for sure on that issue. I'm pretty sure I saw the setting to change the pause, but I've never experimented with it.

I'm probably not qualified to be commenting. I just haven't done much with my Ipod, so I'm no expert on the finer points.

mcan
03-03-2006, 07:13 AM
1. Ahh, yea. Makes sense. I have no idea if you can do it or not, with I-tunes or any other program. I've never tried.

2. I can't say for sure on that issue. I'm pretty sure I saw the setting to change the pause, but I've never experimented with it.

I'm probably not qualified to be commenting. I just haven't done much with my Ipod, so I'm no expert on the finer points.

I did a bit of research and found a couple that claim to have the reverse Ipod to computer feature...

Anapod Explorer
EphPod
Media Monkey
Winamp with some codec

But some of these you have to pay for, and EphPod warns on their site that it may not work with some newer Ipods... Again, I just wanted to find out what everybody else thinks, or if anybody uses programs like this as an ITunes alternative before I start trying things and wasting a ton of time or money for downloading a program...

morphius
03-03-2006, 07:22 AM
What file format do you save your music as? Does it rip really fast? That's another thing... Ripping an album to Itunes takes several minutes... I have hundreds of CDs I'd like to get onto my computer quickly.
I rip as mp3's, and I guess cdex is about as fast as anything else. I know a bunch of my friends have switched to it after giving it a try.

mcan
03-03-2006, 07:32 AM
I rip as mp3's, and I guess cdex is about as fast as anything else. I know a bunch of my friends have switched to it after giving it a try.

Is it pretty functional as far as combining tracks and making playlists and such? Can it export to my IPOD? I'll look on the website and see, if you don't know right off the top of your head...

morphius
03-03-2006, 07:43 AM
Is it pretty functional as far as combining tracks and making playlists and such? Can it export to my IPOD? I'll look on the website and see, if you don't know right off the top of your head...
CDEX is just a ripper, that is all it does. It will create the playlists for you for an albulm, it will also pull the info off the net for a CD so you don't have to put that info in. You can set the file format and directory tree you want to use, mine looks like %1\%2\[%1]-%7-%4 (M:\Evanescence\Fallen\[Evanescence]-01-Going Under.mp3)

It will create the directory tree for you so you pick the default directory where you want things to go, then it will create the artist directory if it doesn't exsist and then the albulm name... It also puts the info into the mp3 so you don't have to edit that to show up right.

It can split tracks, but I don't think it can combine them.

mcan
03-03-2006, 07:49 AM
CDEX is just a ripper, that is all it does. It will create the playlists for you for an albulm, it will also pull the info off the net for a CD so you don't have to put that info in. You can set the file format and directory tree you want to use, mine looks like %1\%2\[%1]-%7-%4 (M:\Evanescence\Fallen\[Evanescence]-01-Going Under.mp3)

It will create the directory tree for you so you pick the default directory where you want things to go, then it will create the artist directory if it doesn't exsist and then the albulm name... It also puts the info into the mp3 so you don't have to edit that to show up right.

It can split tracks, but I don't think it can combine them.

Cool... I was looking at it, I think need something to combine tracks. That's the one thing that ITunes does so that you don't get that gap between songs. But then you end with Dark side of the Moon as two giant songs instead of ten, and you can't skip to the next track because the player just recognizes that as the middle of the song... But it's better than trying to listen to the album and getting that break I guess.

You'ld just think that if you drop 400 clams for a portable music device that you wouldn't have to make tradeoffs like that... :banghead:

Bob Dole
03-03-2006, 07:50 AM
Why to move back? So that you can pull music off your ipod that you got from somebody else's computer...

You think that might have something to do with the reason they left that feature out, eyepatch?

RaiderH8r
03-03-2006, 07:54 AM
Rip the tunes from your iPod to cd through iTunes. Then reimport those tunes from CD to your iTunes Library. I set the options to load all files as AAC and then I set the ID3 tags to 2.4. This way you can usually go and rip the album art for your song titles if you so choose. The workarounds for iPod are time consuming but once you get through this the first time you can just do it as you go along and all will be well. If you're looking for album art to download I go to amazon.com and search for the cd. Then click on the "see larger photo" to open the cd art in a new window. You can right click-copy then go to your window for album art in your iTunes LIBRARY (make sure its library) and right click-paste. For entire albums or selections you can use the shift-click or control-click combo to highlight large numbers to apply the album art to. Then take that highlighted list and drag it to your iPod. Should work.

mcan
03-03-2006, 07:56 AM
You think that might have something to do with the reason they left that feature out, eyepatch?

Absolutely... They don't want people to even listen to their friends' CDs, let alone make copies or share music. It's all about the ITunes store. If the easiest way to get a song on my Ipod is to only buy from Itunes then they'll see more sales. But that comes at a price for the consumer, and not just the price of the song.

Now we have goofy 'gaps' in concept albums, and if my harddrive were to get wiped, I'd lose FOREVER the songs that I bought from ITunes, and anything that I put on itunes and don't have access to the CD anymore, even if it's still on my IPOD! Or, if I have stuff that's on my old Ipod, and decide to get a new one, but for whatever reason that stuff isn't on my computer anymore (crash, reformat, or new computer) I've gotta rip all my stuff all over and/or buy it again from itunes... Pain in the ass....

mcan
03-03-2006, 08:07 AM
Rip the tunes from your iPod to cd through iTunes. Then reimport those tunes from CD to your iTunes Library. I set the options to load all files as AAC and then I set the ID3 tags to 2.4. This way you can usually go and rip the album art for your song titles if you so choose. The workarounds for iPod are time consuming but once you get through this the first time you can just do it as you go along and all will be well. If you're looking for album art to download I go to amazon.com and search for the cd. Then click on the "see larger photo" to open the cd art in a new window. You can right click-copy then go to your window for album art in your iTunes LIBRARY (make sure its library) and right click-paste. For entire albums or selections you can use the shift-click or control-click combo to highlight large numbers to apply the album art to. Then take that highlighted list and drag it to your iPod. Should work.

Right on... OK, so how exactly do you go about ripping to a CD from your IPOD? Is there a signifcant quality loss when you go from a compressed form in the IPOD to your CD and then back to AAC? I'm a newbie at the mp3 game and everything i know about it I've learned this morning fittering around online trying to solve my IPOD problems...

Bob Dole
03-03-2006, 08:12 AM
Absolutely... They don't want people to even listen to their friends' CDs, let alone make copies or share music. It's all about the ITunes store. If the easiest way to get a song on my Ipod is to only buy from Itunes then they'll see more sales. But that comes at a price for the consumer, and not just the price of the song.

Now we have goofy 'gaps' in concept albums, and if my harddrive were to get wiped, I'd lose FOREVER the songs that I bought from ITunes, and anything that I put on itunes and don't have access to the CD anymore, even if it's still on my IPOD! Or, if I have stuff that's on my old Ipod, and decide to get a new one, but for whatever reason that stuff isn't on my computer anymore (crash, reformat, or new computer) I've gotta rip all my stuff all over and/or buy it again from itunes... Pain in the ass....

Bob Dole always makes an "archive" CD from any songs purchased from iTunes anyway, since you're apparently screwed when you try to copy a track to your 5th device.

ChiefsFan4Life
03-03-2006, 08:57 AM
SharePod (http://www.sturm.net.nz/website.php?Section=iPod+Programs&Page=SharePod) allows you to transfer songs TO and FROM your IPOD with your PC

QuikSsurfer
03-03-2006, 09:54 AM
Mods, please move this thread over to Geeks after it drops....

So, I've got my 60 Gig Video Ipod. i put some stuff on it from another friends' computer so I could use it while I figured out what to do... Now, I have a new computer with none of my music on it.

My question: If you guys were starting over, what program would you use for Windows XP to rip your music to the hard drive, how would you keep that music organized, and what program would you use to transfer that music to your Ipod? I hear that I-Tunes is a b!tch to work with on PC, and that it doesn't allow for moving files BACK to your computer from an Ipod... That's retarded... I'd like to avoid I-Tunes. Also, what file formats are best to use? Does anybody know how to get gap-less playback on the IPOD? I hate the little pauses between songs when I listen to Dark Side of the Moon.

Any and all input would be nice. I'd like to start off doing things the most convenient way, that way I don't paint myself into a corner spending hours ripping music and realizing that it sucks that way...

stick with itunes.. aac is the format u should stick to.. it's probably the default setting on itunes for importing. if not, u can change it under preferences - importing

mcan
03-03-2006, 11:33 AM
So I found a program that allows you to use ITunes for all the major stuff, but it allows you to put songs back to your computer AND it has a bunch of other features like getting the weather on your Ipod, and such things. Seems kinda cool. It's called IPOD AGENT.

Thanks everybody for your help...

Putting some Tull on my Pod right now...