PDA

View Full Version : Been getting the "Server Is Busy" error again lately...

jAZ
03-03-2006, 09:47 AM
Only a handful of times and only in the last day or two.

Has Kyle been tinkering again, or are we hitting some upper limit on the board activity the server can handle?

Got me thinking that I noticed the latest version of VBulletin seems to use AJAX coding technique... which means (to those unfarmilar) that instead of sending the full page of text, images, HTML and the like... back and forth between the server as we post... it only send the changes in text.

It's not a HUGE decrease in load on the server, because it's shows up best only when you are editing a post (you'll notice that when you click EDIT on an AJAX-type board, the post opens up to be edited without loading a new page... and then closes with the new text again without loading the new page).

I think with new posts and general surfing, there might be some benefit, but nothing HUGE.

Just wondering what's going on and ask if I remembered right that Kyle was planning to upgrade the version of VBulletin.

Saulbadguy
03-03-2006, 09:52 AM
The site needs fixed. It will never get fixed.

htismaqe
03-03-2006, 10:07 AM
I've still NEVER gotten the "Server is Busy" error.

Sometimes it just doesn't respond, but it's probably been over a week since the CPU was bad enough that I had to reboot it.

Just out of curiosity, what browser are you using?

jspchief
03-03-2006, 10:10 AM
I've gotten it quite a bit in the last few days. Once this morning, and several times yesterday.

A lot of times it seems to coincide with what might be high traffic times. For instance, around lunch time, or near the end of the workday.

htismaqe
03-03-2006, 10:24 AM
Anybody that's getting this error:

Give me some system info, particular what browser you're using.

Saulbadguy
03-03-2006, 10:25 AM
I've gotten it on both IE and Firefox.

StcChief
03-03-2006, 10:34 AM
I've got it too....with lots of users posting etc.

Likely a Load/concurrency issue.
backend is still MySQL. (YourSQL).

jAZ
03-03-2006, 10:39 AM
IE6 on XP

Inspector
03-03-2006, 10:40 AM
It may be a problem with the server being busy.

No charge for the technical diagnosis.

Mr. Kotter
03-03-2006, 10:41 AM

Last couple of days have been pretty bad....

Explorer on XP....T1 hookup and cable hookups.

htismaqe
03-03-2006, 10:42 AM
Like I said, I have almost 50k posts here and spend ALOT of time here.

I've never seen this error.

SPchief
03-03-2006, 10:45 AM

You must be a premium member, I've gotten them several times in the last few days

|Zach|
03-03-2006, 10:47 AM
Kyle is on it...

heh.

Mr. Kotter
03-03-2006, 10:48 AM

I could be wrong, but I've noticed it most often.....just before the system comes back "up..."

I noticed yesterday, for example, after it had been inaccessible for a while.....the first screen I got, was the "Server is too busy" screen.....and, then a short time later, I got onto the BB screen and it listed something like 39 people "logged on" at the time.....compared with the normal 150-200..... :hmmm:

htismaqe
03-03-2006, 10:49 AM
Last couple of days have been pretty bad....

Explorer on XP....T1 hookup and cable hookups.

That's just odd.

The past couple of days have been some of the best, not only for me personally, but also for the server...

Mr. Kotter
03-03-2006, 10:55 AM
That's just odd.

The past couple of days have been some of the best, not only for me personally, but also for the server...

Then that is really odd....

Seriously, yesterday.....half the day I couldn't get on....:shrug:

I actually got a lot of work done.... :p

Bob Dole
03-03-2006, 11:00 AM
That's just odd.

Bob Dole had issues with the server yesterday and know it was rebooted at least once because he caught it mid-boot and got the vBulletin error that it couldn't connect to the mySQL server, but Bob Dole has never seen the "Server busy" message either.

Mr. Kotter
03-03-2006, 11:02 AM
Bob Dole had issues with the server yesterday and know it was rebooted at least once because he caught it mid-boot and got the vBulletin error that it couldn't connect to the mySQL server, but Bob Dole has never seen the "Server busy" message either.

Might the different "messages" be a result of different networks and/or firewalls or software prompting different messages......?

:shrug:

htismaqe
03-03-2006, 11:05 AM
It stands to reason that there would be problems if the server had been rebooted.

The boot process is linear and there is a time lag between when the front end vBulletin app comes up and when the dbase is mounted and available.

jspchief
03-03-2006, 11:27 AM
I just got another one a short while ago.

JBucc
03-03-2006, 11:29 AM
I don't get any error pages, just when I click on ChiefsPlanet in my bookmarks, my computer just sits there and does nothing.

Dunit35
03-03-2006, 11:31 AM
Just now is the first problem I have had with CP in a long time. I don't even remember the last time I had a problem with it too.

KCTitus
03-03-2006, 11:33 AM
Im guessing the server was just bounced...

htismaqe
It stands to reason that there would be problems if the server had been rebooted.

The boot process is linear and there is a time lag between when the front end vBulletin app comes up and when the dbase is mounted and available.

PHOG
I don't get any error pages, just when I click on ChiefsPlanet in my bookmarks, my computer just sits there and does nothing.

After a looonnng while of doing nothing, mine finally gave the "Server is busy" error..

htismaqe
03-03-2006, 11:34 AM

Same here.

banyon
03-03-2006, 11:37 AM
Shouldn't this be in DC?

JK. ;)

jspchief
03-03-2006, 11:39 AM
So any known reason why the server has to reboot? Or why it has been doing it a lot lately?

Bob Dole
03-03-2006, 11:46 AM
So any known reason why the server has to reboot? Or why it has been doing it a lot lately?

Bob Dole rebooted a couple of times yesterday because Bob Dole was longing for one of these threads where we discuss how much the server sucks.

Mr. Laz
03-03-2006, 11:52 AM
IE version 6.029, windows XP sp2

download speed : 4485 kbps .
Your upload speed : 650 kbps

i get server busy stuff every so often

Mr. Kotter
03-03-2006, 11:57 AM
Bob Dole rebooted a couple of times yesterday because Bob Dole was longing for one of these threads where we discuss how much the server sucks.

Sounds to me like someone needs to "reboot" you.... :p

jspchief
03-03-2006, 12:00 PM
Bob Dole rebooted a couple of times yesterday because Bob Dole was longing for one of these threads where we discuss how much the server sucks.Thanks. I was just curious if you guys knew what the problem was.

penguinz
03-03-2006, 12:03 PM
IE version 6.029, windows XP sp2

download speed : 4485 kbps .
Your upload speed : 650 kbps

i get server busy stuff every so often
I am on a 10Mb down 10Mb up connection and I get the error also.

Phobia
03-03-2006, 12:04 PM
I never got "Server Busy" message once when I was an admin here. Now that I'm not, I get it all the time.

The "Server Busy" message seems to appear several minutes before the server comes available again. For instance, it will be unavailable completely (time out) for 20 minutes or more and when I refresh and get "Server Busy" I know it's almost back up.

ENDelt260
03-03-2006, 12:41 PM
Kyle is on it...

heh.
He's busy fixing the permissions on my account at the moment. He'll get to you peons and your database errors later.

Mr. Laz
03-03-2006, 12:44 PM
I never got "Server Busy" message once when I was an admin here. Now that I'm not, I get it all the time..

welcome to the tinfoil hat crowd ... pull up a chair and have a seat.

Bob Dole
03-03-2006, 12:44 PM
Thanks. I was just curious if you guys knew what the problem was.

If you're going to be all nice about it any everything.

Orphaned processes and stuff.

ct
03-03-2006, 12:54 PM

IE 6.0.28, got the server busy several times yesterday afternoon.

ct
03-03-2006, 12:58 PM
I never got "Server Busy" message once when I was an admin here. Now that I'm not, I get it all the time.

The "Server Busy" message seems to appear several minutes before the server comes available again. For instance, it will be unavailable completely (time out) for 20 minutes or more and when I refresh and get "Server Busy" I know it's almost back up.

Perhaps while in limbo, the admin accounts are allowed to log in, while regular user accounts are locked out until it's fully up and running. Our DBAs do this when necessary for Oracle DBs, as they apply patches and such. Does MySQL do the same by default?

Bob Dole
03-03-2006, 01:01 PM
Perhaps while in limbo, the admin accounts are allowed to log in, while regular user accounts are locked out until it's fully up and running. Our DBAs do this when necessary for Oracle DBs, as they apply patches and such. Does MySQL do the same by default?

If Apache is sending the message, that ain't it.

If vBulletin is sending it, that might be the case.

penguinz
03-03-2006, 01:10 PM
It is VB that is sending the message.

Skip Towne
03-03-2006, 01:18 PM
It looks like it is just kicking out Kotter and other assorted dumbasses. Can you fix it to kick out n00bs too?

Mr. Laz
03-03-2006, 01:49 PM
It looks like it is just kicking out Kotter and other assorted dumbasses. Can you fix it to kick out n00bs too?

would that include anyone with a name starting with n00b?

Phobia
03-03-2006, 01:53 PM

What? I disclosed that in the interest of assisting with the troubleshooting - not because I think anybody is out to get me.

Phobia
03-03-2006, 01:54 PM
It is VB that is sending the message.

Yeah - because it appears on a page with the header information.

Mr. Laz
03-03-2006, 01:56 PM
What? I disclosed that in the interest of assisting with the troubleshooting - not because I think anybody is out to get me.
relax ... i'm just kidding around

take a deep breath and pull Nick's penis out of your ass

you'll feel better

Phobia
03-03-2006, 02:19 PM
Oh - well you can never really tell with you tin-foil hat wearers. I don't know what kind of partnerships you've been involved with in the past, but I can assure you that my partnership with Nick has nothing to do with his penis. I'll let him know you're interested though.

SPchief
03-03-2006, 02:24 PM
Oh - well you can never really tell with you tin-foil hat wearers. I don't know what kind of partnerships you've been involved with in the past, but I can assure you that my partnership with Nick has nothing to do with his penis. I'll let him know you're interested though.

You just delegate thoses jobs to Gochiefs, don't ya.

Bob Dole
03-03-2006, 02:28 PM

Which is odd, since Bob Dole is fairly certain people are out to get you.

morphius
03-03-2006, 02:29 PM
I have been getting the message as well, which is nothing new right at cut/start of FA time.

Phobia
03-03-2006, 02:41 PM
You just delegate thoses jobs to Gochiefs, don't ya.

I hadn't considered that. Thanks for the idea.

Phobia
03-03-2006, 02:42 PM

Oh. Good point. There is an element out to get me, huh?

morphius
03-03-2006, 02:50 PM
Qualifying them as people might be a bit of a stretch though.

Skip Towne
03-03-2006, 02:54 PM
I have been getting the message as well, which is nothing new right at cut/start of FA time.
See post # 42.

htismaqe
03-03-2006, 05:38 PM
Thanks. I was just curious if you guys knew what the problem was.

The database is ****ed up. It causes severe I/O bottlenecks.

That causes the CPU to spike to the point where the server has to be rebooted.

Just an FYI, but it doesn't crash. We reboot it.

htismaqe
03-03-2006, 05:39 PM

Well, that pretty much confirms my theory.

The only people that don't get the error messages are in the admin user group.

I think we have a higher priority than regular users. :D

Ari Chi3fs
03-03-2006, 05:50 PM
Kyle is on it...

heh.

thats almost sigworthy.

Mr. Laz
03-03-2006, 05:57 PM
Well, that pretty much confirms my theory.

The only people that don't get the error messages are in the admin user group.

I think we have a higher priority than regular users. :D

ENDelt260
03-03-2006, 05:59 PM
I get a wide variety of error messages. Every once in awhile I get a page that says, "F*ck you, Brian! I don't feel like serving that page right now!"