PDA

View Full Version : Vinatieri.....would you want him?

RedThat
03-03-2006, 11:12 AM
I brought this up because I don't know if any of you aware, Lawrence Tynes is a FA.

Vinatieri is available. Would you take a clutch kicker over a signing a defensive FA? :hmmm:

Mecca
03-03-2006, 11:13 AM
I brought this up because I don't know if any of you aware, Lawrence Tynes is a FA.

Vinatieri is available. Would you take a clutch kicker over a signing a defensive FA? :hmmm:

A team like Dallas is gonna toss some major jack at him for being a kicker.

Gonzo
03-03-2006, 11:17 AM
We should spend what little money we will have available on somthing a little more pressing, like a D-lineman, don't you think?

RedThat
03-03-2006, 11:18 AM
I think I would take Vinatieri. Simply because he is $$$.

How many clutch kicks has he made? Lots.

And the fact, Tynes has been ok with us, but simply "broke down" in clutch situations.

Many don't pay attention to Kickers. But, he is the best in the game. Kickers can make or break a game.

Gonzo
03-03-2006, 11:19 AM
:stupid:

plbrdude
03-03-2006, 11:19 AM
is vanderjat available ROFL ROFL ROFL

Sure-Oz
03-03-2006, 11:20 AM
Age difference between the two?? Viniteri def. is clutch! but for th future Tynes may improve but for a SB run id take Vini in a heartbeat!

RedThat
03-03-2006, 11:21 AM
We should spend what little money we will have available on somthing a little more pressing, like a D-lineman, don't you think?

I agree. But it is a tough decision. Simply put, you have the best kicker in the game on the market.

Just think, we could have taken that Dallas game to overtime last year had Tynes made that kick. What if Vinatieri lined up to make that kick? Coulda made a difference in our season. That doesn't sound HUGE, but it is.

Dunit35
03-03-2006, 11:22 AM
Keep Tynes...he's a good kicker.

Sure-Oz
03-03-2006, 11:22 AM
id want to improve the defense that let philly come back after we had a huge lead, thats huge!

SLAG
03-03-2006, 11:23 AM
Id want Viniteri but only if he signed for Leauge Min.

The Bad Guy
03-03-2006, 11:24 AM
Id want Viniteri but only if he signed for Leauge Min.

That is nuts.

Vinatieiri is probably the best big game kicker in NFL history.

I'd pay him a decent contract. The guy is the difference in 2-3 games every year.

Mecca
03-03-2006, 11:26 AM

If you think you can get a Dlineman for what a kicker is going to make..........then that Dline isn't going to be very good.

SLAG
That is nuts.

Vinatieiri is probably the best big game kicker in NFL history.

I'd pay him a decent contract. The guy is the difference in 2-3 games every year.

Im talking from strictly a Chiefs Salary Cap Point of View

RedThat
Age difference between the two?? Viniteri def. is clutch! but for th future Tynes may improve but for a SB run id take Vini in a heartbeat!

Vinatieri is 34 and Tynes is 28.

But regardless, age really is a non-factor for kickers. Unless you're 40, 45.

Vinatieri could probably play another 5,6 years who knows?

But he is a good future investment that is worth a shot. I like Tynes, but I just don't trust him in the clutch. Too many times he "broke down" in critical situations.

RedThat
03-03-2006, 11:28 AM
Im talking from strictly a Chiefs Salary Cap Point of View

Thank you for clarifying that. I know what you mean and everything, but that is still a pretty bold statement don't ya think?
ROFL

RedThat
03-03-2006, 11:35 AM
id want to improve the defense that let philly come back after we had a huge lead, thats huge!

I want a defense too. but it ain't gonna happen overnight.

We still gotta WAYS to go there. It ain't gonna happen in 1 off-season to fix that defense.

But a kicker? Especially a clutch one? That makes a difference in winning or losing games. Having an Adam Vinatieri is less expensive as opposed to signing a BIG name defensive player, and also makes a difference in winning 1-2 games more.

Sure-Oz
03-03-2006, 11:37 AM
You guys actually think NE would let him go? He's their 2nd version of Will Shields behind Tom Brady.

phxchief
03-03-2006, 11:37 AM
(1) Tynes is a restricted FA, not a UFA. That makes it a lot different in terms of just going after a replacement.

(2) No, I wouldn't rather have AV than a defensive addition.

phxchief
03-03-2006, 11:38 AM
You guys actually think NE would let him go?

I don't think so; I know so.

They didn't franchise him and haven't signed him, ala Drew Brees in SD.

If AV is a Patriot next year, it's because (1) he wants to be, and/or (2) no one else offers him more coin.

RedThat
03-03-2006, 11:39 AM
You guys actually think NE would let him go? He's their 2nd version of Will Shields behind Tom Brady.

Well, they didn't franchise him?
:shrug:

Mr. Laz
03-03-2006, 11:41 AM
want him? .............. yes

think we should spend that much money on him instead of defense? ............ no

Mecca
03-03-2006, 11:41 AM
You guys bringing up defense in this thread make me laugh........Any good defensive player is going to get alot more money than a kicker, a very good kicker but still a kicker.

Amnorix
03-03-2006, 11:43 AM

Pats decided not to franchise him, after he was franchised the last two years in a row.

As the top paid kicker in the NFL, AV's franchise tag number would have been a 20% raise over last year's number, and put him very slightly over $3M for the year. My understanding is that NO OTHER KICKER makes even $2M per year.

That meant he's overpaid, no matter how good he is, and the Patriots don't overpay PERIOD.

We offered him a multiyear deal worth over $2M per, which would have made him the highest paid kicker in the NFL, but he wants to test the market. I think that if someone (Dallas?) blows his doors off, then he's gone, otherwise the deal stays on the table and he comes back.

Factor in that AV has WAY more non-football related income here than he would get in another part of the country. He's the "face" of Papa Gino's (a large pizza chain around here) and has a number of other advertising sponsors. Those dollars dry up in a place like Dallas, where he wouldn't have nearly as much face/name recognition.

phxchief
03-03-2006, 11:43 AM
Any good defensive player is going to get alot more money than a kicker

Not immediately, and we are after impact players.

You don't start giving new guys on big contracts huge numbers in the first year of the deal. Take a look at Surtain's cap figure last year.

And you're talking about superstars. A solid defensive player doesn't command that big of a deal. We could use a SOLID DT to start. We could use a SOLID corner to play opposite Surtain.

These guys don't command massive dollars. Vinatieri will surprise you.

Chiefaholic
03-03-2006, 11:44 AM
Even if he were signed to a contract at $2 million per, he'de still be a bargain considering his range and clutch kicking abilities. The Chief got their punter in last years drfat, now it's time we look at getting a kicker for those games that are decided by 3 points or less. Let's not forget Edwards is alot more conservative in his approach to winning games.

Amnorix
03-03-2006, 11:46 AM
Listen, I love him and really want AV back, don't get me wrong, but ultimately, he is "just" a kicker. A kicker who has made some unbelievable kicks, but still, "just" a kicker.

He's the 6th most accurate kicker in NFL history, and playing in New England, that says a helluva lot more than VAnderjerk and being #1 playing half his games in a Dome and being in the AFC South (Houston - Dome, Jacksonville -- good weather, etc.).

But he has missed some important kicks. The first TWO in the Pats/Panthers SB game comes to mind, and so does the miss in Denver in the just completed playoffs. He's great, but not perfect, and he is 34, and he is "just" a kicker.

phxchief
Even if he were signed to a contract at $2 million per, he'de still be a bargain

Absurd.

Teams like Pittsburgh are in position to talk about overpaying for one last piece to the puzzle.

We ain't making the Superbowl just by signing Vinatieri. That $2M per is wasted unless we get better on defense.

Amnorix
Even if he were signed to a contract at $2 million per, he'de still be a bargain considering his range and clutch kicking abilities. The Chief got their punter in last years drfat, now it's time we look at getting a kicker for those games that are decided by 3 points or less. Let's not forget Edwards is alot more conservative in his approach to winning games.

Pats last offer, still believed to be on the table, was for over $2M per year.

plbrdude
i'd like to see a defense capable of not putting a game on a kickers foot.

phxchief
03-03-2006, 11:47 AM
Listen, I love him and really want AV back, don't get me wrong, but ultimately, he is "just" a kicker. A kicker who has made some unbelievable kicks, but still, "just" a kicker.

He's the 6th most accurate kicker in NFL history, and playing in New England, that says a helluva lot more than VAnderjerk and being #1 playing half his games in a Dome and being in the AFC South (Houston - Dome, Jacksonville -- good weather, etc.).

But he has missed some important kicks. The first TWO in the Pats/Panthers SB game comes to mind, and so does the miss in Denver in the just completed playoffs. He's great, but not perfect, and he is 34, and he is "just" a kicker.

.....and if he were a Patriot next year, he'd be the best thing even before sliced bread.

Amnorix
03-03-2006, 11:48 AM
No idea what direction the Herm-led Chiefs will go, but a high octane offense with a poor defense has NO need for a great kicker, really.

Great kickers are better for a great defensive team where 3 points means more.

RedThat
03-03-2006, 11:50 AM
Im just not sold on Tynes. He cost us 2-3 games the last 2 years. He is a GOOD kicker don't get me wrong, but he is just NOT clutch.

You guys would rather take a BIG name FA defenive player over Vinatieri? I think Vinatieri is just as important as improving our defense. And he is cheaper too.

*When Tynes lines up to kick the game winning or tying FG and he misses, cry me a river, and count me in as one of those that will be disappointed the Chiefs passed on Vinatieri.

RedThat
03-03-2006, 11:52 AM
No idea what direction the Herm-led Chiefs will go, but a high octane offense with a poor defense has NO need for a great kicker, really.

Great kickers are better for a great defensive team where 3 points means more.

Every team needs a kicker. Every team.

I think of situations. Regardless, if your team is a high octane offense, or a great defensive team, there is always going to be that time when your team is going to have to rely on their kicker to win them the game.

Amnorix
03-03-2006, 12:07 PM
.....and if he were a Patriot next year, he'd be the best thing even before sliced bread.

Nah, that's Tom Brady.

;)

Amnorix
03-03-2006, 12:07 PM
Every team needs a kicker. Every team.

I think of situations. Regardless, if your team is a high octane offense, or a great defensive team, there is always going to be that time when your team is going to have to rely on their kicker to win them the game.

I agree, a great kicker is good for ANY team, but riddle me this -- who needs a great kicker more -- the 2000 Ravens or the 1999 Rams?

Hog Farmer
03-03-2006, 12:21 PM
Lawrence Tynes assured Dick and Carl at the beginning of last season that if they were to stick with him he would ultimately be the best kicker in the NFL.

I say stick with LT. He has the desire to be the best.

SNR
03-03-2006, 12:38 PM
Vinatieri has 3 rings.

The "win something" portion of his career is complete. Now if I were him, I'd just go play for the team willing to play the most.

Ultra Peanut
03-03-2006, 12:39 PM
I'm fine with Larry Ty, but Vinatieri is great. I'd be glad to have him.

beavis
03-03-2006, 12:46 PM
(1) Tynes is a restricted FA, not a UFA. That makes it a lot different in terms of just going after a replacement.
I was going to say... there is now way being in the league two years that he can be an UFA.

JBucc
03-03-2006, 12:46 PM
I want a lot of players. A lot of very expensive players that at this point we cannot afford.

RedThat
03-03-2006, 01:05 PM
I agree, a great kicker is good for ANY team, but riddle me this -- who needs a great kicker more -- the 2000 Ravens or the 1999 Rams?

ROFL ROFL

Ok. If your gonna go by those standards, I would have to say the 2000 Ravens.

Amnorix
03-03-2006, 01:13 PM
ROFL ROFL

Ok. If your gonna go by those standards, I would have to say the 2000 Ravens.

:LOL:

Now riddle me THIS -- are the 2006 Chiefs going to be more like the '99 Rams or the '00 Ravens?! :LOL:

That's all I'm saying. Obviously, AV will help ANY team. It's just a question of how much.

alanm
03-03-2006, 01:15 PM
Keep Tynes...he's a good kicker.
Damn right he is. Plus he's cheaper.

Mile High Mania
03-03-2006, 01:17 PM
He's more than just a kicker... but, $2M+ is a hell of a number for any kicker. But, ask teams like Dallas last year and the Chargers and Jets 2 years ago about the importance of kickers.

el borracho
03-03-2006, 01:45 PM
I'm a Tynes fan.

Simply Red
03-03-2006, 01:49 PM

Yes i'd want him. But not in a gay weird way.

bkkcoh
03-03-2006, 01:53 PM
I'm a Tynes fan.

Ditto!!! Afterall, he is a tough guy... Punches a bouncer, that takes balls.... :toast: :clap:

kcfanXIII
03-03-2006, 01:53 PM
well, it would depend on salary. i'd love to have a kicker like vinetieri but i'm not going to spend a metric ass load on a kicker.

Chief Roundup
03-03-2006, 02:46 PM
I would rather resign Tynes.

Hydrae
03-03-2006, 04:00 PM
Papa Gino's

OMG, I hadn't thought of that place in many, many years. Crust from Pap Gino's was the first solid food my little brother ate (he is now 34 :eek: ). Glad to hear it is still around. That and Friendly's ice cream are two of my favorite memories from my time living outside Boston.

Amnorix
03-03-2006, 05:33 PM
OMG, I hadn't thought of that place in many, many years. Crust from Pap Gino's was the first solid food my little brother ate (he is now 34 :eek: ). Glad to hear it is still around. That and Friendly's ice cream are two of my favorite memories from my time living outside Boston.

:D Glad to hear it. Two of my favorite chains as well, although I've noticed some inconsistency among Papa Gino's lately. They need to get that straightened out.

If you havent' been here in a while, you should know that Friendly's decisively crushed Brighams in the ice cream wars. Brighams are few and far between now and there's a Friendly's in every town. :)

bringbackmarty
03-04-2006, 02:32 PM
i want themother****er that beat the hell out of two rednecks in wis.

Nelson Muntz
03-05-2006, 07:41 AM
I agree. But it is a tough decision. Simply put, you have the best kicker in the game on the market.

Just think, we could have taken that Dallas game to overtime last year had Tynes made that kick. What if Vinatieri lined up to make that kick? Coulda made a difference in our season. That doesn't sound HUGE, but it is.

Your an idiot. Take any kicker in the NFL and see what their percentage of made kicks are when the snap is that bad. As easy as it is to blame Tynes for that kick, its not all on him.

milkman
03-05-2006, 08:08 AM
Im just not sold on Tynes. He cost us 2-3 games the last 2 years. He is a GOOD kicker don't get me wrong, but he is just NOT clutch.

You guys would rather take a BIG name FA defenive player over Vinatieri? I think Vinatieri is just as important as improving our defense. And he is cheaper too.

*When Tynes lines up to kick the game winning or tying FG and he misses, cry me a river, and count me in as one of those that will be disappointed the Chiefs passed on Vinatieri.

Would you support the decision to sign him at a cost of 3mil a year?

Douche Baggins
03-05-2006, 08:31 AM
Tynes has only had two opportunities to be clutch.

He converted on one of them.

He's an outstanding kicker.

DaWolf
03-05-2006, 08:56 AM
I'd obviously love to have him over here but his salary is not going to allow for that to happen...

NJ Chief Fan
03-05-2006, 10:49 AM
LT3!!!!!!11

Chieftain58
03-05-2006, 12:56 PM
Cost is a factor