PDA

View Full Version : EA's NFL Exclusivity Contract May Be Voided!!

oaklandhater
03-03-2006, 11:57 AM
http://www.gamersreports.com/news/1574/

Read this before we go on:

What are the long-term ramifications for the league?
Barring a new CBA, the players either will be on strike or the owners will lock out the players in 2008. The union likely will decertify, and antitrust rules will apply. Also, the NFL draft will go away in 2008 as part of a clause inserted in the current CBA. Players coming out of college could be free agents, with no salary restrictions. Open negotiations, including those for rookies coming out of college, will leave it to the players to get what they can get.

Now, pay attention, cause this is a bit complicated. The current problems in the NFL between the league and the players association might make the EA/NFL contract void. This is because if the union decertifies, then anti-trust rules will apply. If this happens, then EA is out of luck. Antitrust laws would be in effect and the contract would be voided. (EA signed a deal with both the NFLPA and NFL so at the least, other companies could use the players, but not the actual team names. Not a big deal really, since we know who they would be referring to.)

Just to recap, the NFLPA may decertify itself in order to keep a lockout from occuring. This in essence will make antitrust laws apply. The NFLPA will decertify if no agreement is reached to extend the CBA. Keep an eye on this people, we know it is a lot of "ifs" but stranger things have happened. Keep your fingers crossed.

Update: Since the current CBA runs until 2008, they would not de-certify until then we have been told. This means on the off chance this happens, we still have to put up with 2 more years of EA. If you want to read up a bit on anti-trust law, check it out here.

Mecca
03-03-2006, 11:59 AM
I think there are bigger things to be worried about with the CBA than a VIDEO GAME CONTRACT.

oaklandhater
03-03-2006, 12:00 PM
I think there are bigger things to be worried about with the CBA than a VIDEO GAME CONTRACT.

I posted this for 2 reason

1 no video game contract
2 is the nfl dumping the draft?

cmh6476
03-03-2006, 12:03 PM
still wouldnt be for 2 more years, and likely will not happen.

Ultra Peanut
03-03-2006, 12:21 PM
I want nothing more than for 2K Sports to release a fully customizable Pro Football 2K7 or whatever.

Pants
03-03-2006, 12:23 PM
I want nothing more than for 2K Sports to release a fully customizable Pro Football 2K7 or whatever.

What she said.

Reaper16
03-03-2006, 12:24 PM
This is the only good news to come of this situation. **** EA and thier monopoly.

JBucc
03-03-2006, 12:46 PM
I don't hate EA or anything and I love Madden, but this exclusive liscense stuff is only bad for gamers so it would be great if their contract was voided but that would mean all that other bad stuff would have to happen.

Mecca
03-03-2006, 12:50 PM
I can deal with only having 1 football game to keep the real game of football what it is......

Reaper16
03-03-2006, 01:07 PM
I posted this for 2 reason

1 no video game contract
2 is the nfl dumping the draft?
How is Deadpool a Spiderman rip off?

oaklandhater
03-03-2006, 01:52 PM
How is Deadpool a Spiderman rip off?

Its a joke because of his coustume and wisecracks.

He him Self even says he is a ripoff of spiderman in one of his comics, In fact he is the only MARVEL character who knows he is in a comic book.

Fruit Ninja
03-03-2006, 04:04 PM
I want nothing more than for 2K Sports to release a fully customizable Pro Football 2K7 or whatever.What you said. Madden game is HORRRIBLE! i tried to like it, i just cant, the game is complete crap. I am back to plpaying 2k5.

Hydrae
03-03-2006, 04:16 PM
The real question is, does any of this affect the exclusive for the Sunday Ticket?

Reaper16
03-03-2006, 04:17 PM
Its a joke because of his coustume and wisecracks.

He him Self even says he is a ripoff of spiderman in one of his comics, In fact he is the only MARVEL character who knows he is in a comic book.
That's funny that they break the fourth wall in the Deadpool book. Man, I haven't kept up in the Marvel Universe for years.

htismaqe
03-03-2006, 04:41 PM
EA won't be out of luck.

The NFL will.

I get tired of people bashing EA for buying something that the NFL ACTIVELY SOLICITED.

Fruit Ninja
03-03-2006, 05:04 PM
EA won't be out of luck.

The NFL will.

I get tired of people bashing EA for buying something that the NFL ACTIVELY SOLICITED.I am not bashing EA for wanting the exclusive, its only good buisness to put the other gaming franchise out of buisness. What i bash EA on is putting out a game that is crap, and has been for a LONG time now.

Play madden 06 on xbox. i dont have 360 so i cant say much for that yet, but on the regular xbox try to do a damn draw, or a reverse and tell me how many yards you lose. OR even try to do a play action pass n see how fast your quarterback gets sacked EVERYTIME.

Reaper16
03-03-2006, 05:09 PM
I am not bashing EA for wanting the exclusive, its only good buisness to put the other gaming franchise out of buisness. What i bash EA on is putting out a game that is crap, and has been for a LONG time now.

Play madden 06 on xbox. i dont have 360 so i cant say much for that yet, but on the regular xbox try to do a damn draw, or a reverse and tell me how many yards you lose. OR even try to do a play action pass n see how fast your quarterback gets sacked EVERYTIME.
Adjust your sliders. There isn't anything wrong with Madden 06, outside of the passing cones feature. Madden 360 has issues, but not the PS2/XBox release.

Fruit Ninja
03-03-2006, 05:18 PM
Adjust your sliders. There isn't anything wrong with Madden 06, outside of the passing cones feature. Madden 360 has issues, but not the PS2/XBox release.i have, you still cannot do a damn play action pass successfully, Nor can you do a Reverse, or even a damn draw. I love the passing cone, takes alot more coordination to be able to pass. N i really played the crap out of the game. I tried to force myself to like it. I just finallly came to the conclusion that i will have more fun playing 2k5 with fujita/maz/barber as my linebackers. lol

htismaqe
03-03-2006, 07:40 PM
I am not bashing EA for wanting the exclusive, its only good buisness to put the other gaming franchise out of buisness. What i bash EA on is putting out a game that is crap, and has been for a LONG time now.

If you want to bash somebody, bash the ****ing LEMMINGS out there that continue to buy it EVERY YEAR.

Games are a BUSINESS and developing games costs money. I don't blame EA one bit for never improving the game, because people still wait in line at midnight to buy it.

JBucc
03-03-2006, 07:42 PM
The real question is, does any of this affect the exclusive for the Sunday Ticket?I hope so

Fruit Ninja
03-03-2006, 08:55 PM
If you want to bash somebody, bash the ****ing LEMMINGS out there that continue to buy it EVERY YEAR.

Games are a BUSINESS and developing games costs money. I don't blame EA one bit for never improving the game, because people still wait in line at midnight to buy it.oh i know, but still its a crap ass game. I bought it becuse i hadnt played it since shit 2001 or so. I figured i would give it a try, so i bought it, forced myself to try to like it. After about 150 online games, and alot of hours played messing with it. I came to the conclusion that the game is ass. Only thing i liked was the cone vision thing.

now its on the 360, once i get one, i am ging to definately rent before i think about buying Maddens crap. 2k game was just SOO much better, but they did have thier faults as well.

I am a huge football gamer have been for years, i judge football games very fairly, i waited 6 months before i started bashing the game.

Mecca
03-03-2006, 09:10 PM
Actually, the play action thing isn't true. If you play action in an obvious pass down yes you'll get hammered. But if you mix your plays well, it will work.

I don't run draws or reverses..........

Count Zarth
03-03-2006, 09:14 PM
Draws or reverses work about 10% of the time.

Same for screens if you're playing on All-Madden level. I dumped all the screen plays from my playbook.

BTW, Total Pro Football is going to be TOTALLY CUSTOMIZABLE, so the NFL can take it's license and screw off. Users will recreate all their logos and players.

Guru
03-03-2006, 10:47 PM

I third that motion. :clap:

Guru
03-03-2006, 10:51 PM

Games are a BUSINESS and developing games costs money. I don't blame EA one bit for never improving the game, because people still wait in line at midnight to buy it.

EXACTLY. The SEGA series owned them in 2005 yet all you heard was "Madden still kicks its ass because it is Madden." WTF is that? Just admit that 2K5 was better.

ChiefsFanatic
03-03-2006, 10:54 PM

I also wish that 2K would make a golf game. I am sorry, but Tiger 06 is about as crappy a golf game as I have ever played. The physics are so inconsistent, like they added a random F-You factor to make up for players scoring so low.

Fruit Ninja
03-04-2006, 12:00 AM
I also wish that 2K would make a golf game. I am sorry, but Tiger 06 is about as crappy a golf game as I have ever played. The physics are so inconsistent, like they added a random F-You factor to make up for players scoring so low.
Most EA games that control the market are.There is no reason for them to improve. THey own the rights to everything, so why improve it? when they can jus tmilk the shit out of it.

Also, i am going to try thatgame gochiefs was talking about. Sounds interesting.

And if you dont run reverse or draws thats cool, but if i felt like i wanted too, i should be able to do it knowing there is a chance that it may works. in madden, you now that shit WILL NOT WORK!. No matter how much you try, or what team your playing. Hell at least in 2k5 i ran a few reverses for big gaines a few times.