PDA

View Full Version : Expensive speeding tickets......

Skip Towne
03-03-2006, 05:16 PM
I worked for a lady today that told me she just got a ticket for going 75 in a 55 zone. She said it cost her $203. That sounds awfully high to me. But I haven't had a ticket in forever. Is this fine normal?

Fruit Ninja
03-03-2006, 05:20 PM
dont speed, she wouldnt have had to pay shit.

Bob Dole
03-03-2006, 05:23 PM
I worked for a lady today that told me she just got a ticket for going 75 in a 55 zone. She said it cost her $203. That sounds awfully high to me. But I haven't had a ticket in forever. Is this fine normal?

A quick Google shows:

$205.50 in Orange County, CA
$205.50 in Charlotte County, FL
$188.00 in Belton, TX

Bwana
03-03-2006, 05:27 PM
dont speed, she wouldnt have had to pay shit.

Or get a decent radar jammer.

Bob Dole
03-03-2006, 05:29 PM
Or get a decent radar jammer.

Or a fast enough car, a hinge and a throttle cable and the skill to get away... :)

bogie
03-03-2006, 05:30 PM
A quick Google shows:

$205.50 in Orange County, CA
$205.50 in Charlotte County, FL
$188.00 in Belton, TX

:cuss: California prices suck!

Phobia
03-03-2006, 05:30 PM
Yeah, I built most the roads in Oklahoma.

Skip Towne
03-03-2006, 05:45 PM
My niece got a ticket for failure to come to a complete stop and it cost her $90. The cops are really cleaning up nowdays.

Bob Dole
03-03-2006, 05:46 PM
My niece got a ticket for failure to come to a complete stop and it cost her $90. The cops are really cleaning up nowdays.

That same ticket in Nevada, MO cost $20 in 1979.

banyon
03-03-2006, 05:50 PM

State and municipal governments are financially drained. They try to make up for it with these artificially high fines and plenty of them.

Reaper16
03-03-2006, 05:51 PM
There are certain places where the cops are especialy active and will ticket for anything. These places include 71 Highway going to Maryville, MO and 69 Highway in Mosby, MO (in between Liberty and Excelsior Springs)

Bwana
03-03-2006, 05:53 PM
Or a fast enough car, a hinge and a throttle cable and the skill to get away... :)

Hell yeah, that too! :thumb:

kcfanintitanhell
03-03-2006, 05:53 PM
I wonder how proportionate the enforcement of some of the more ticky-tack laws are to the municipalities' dwindling coffers.

Bwana
03-03-2006, 05:58 PM
I wonder how proportionate the enforcement of some of the more ticky-tack laws are to the municipalities' dwindling coffers.

I would say there is a definite direct correlation.

trndobrd
03-03-2006, 06:38 PM

It's all for the safety of the motoring public. Don't believe me, just ask the Chief of Police.

Skip Towne
03-04-2006, 08:01 AM
It's all for the safety of the motoring public. Don't believe me, just ask the Chief of Police.
The Police are your friends. They "Protect and Serve".

jspchief
03-04-2006, 08:42 AM
It's not like lower fines were scaring anyone into going the speed limit. You can hardly blame them for raising the penalty. It's no different than any other criminal penalty that been made harsher to discourage offenders.

It's funny that people sit here and bitch about "filling coffers", when all you have to do is obey the law to avoid their tyranny.

Skip Towne
03-04-2006, 10:14 AM
It's not like lower fines were scaring anyone into going the speed limit. You can hardly blame them for raising the penalty. It's no different than any other criminal penalty that been made harsher to discourage offenders.

It's funny that people sit here and bitch about "filling coffers", when all you have to do is obey the law to avoid their tyranny.
No shit?

Valiant
03-04-2006, 11:07 AM

So its okay to do that for speeding, but child murders/mass murders/serial killers and other people of that sick nature cannot be put to death quickly to discourage offenders...

I had to go there...

jspchief
03-04-2006, 07:56 PM
So its okay to do that for speeding, but child murders/mass murders/serial killers and other people of that sick nature cannot be put to death quickly to discourage offenders...

I had to go there...Penalties are being increased for a lot of crimes.

They are getting tougher on child abuse and sex offenders
They are getting tougher on murderers and rapists
They are getting tougher on drug dealers
They are getting tougher on drunk drivers

It's happening across the board. Is it okay? That depends on your opinion of punishment as a deterrent. Personally, I think most people don't feel they'll get caught, so the the threat of punishment doesn't work very well until the punishment becomes so imbalanced in comparison to the crime. A good example is DUI. They are so hard on people now, it's finally setting in for some.

As far as I'm concerned, they can start putting a lot more people to death. Anyone convicted of a second felony can hang.

I was simply commenting on all the people crying about municipalities using traffic fines to generate money. The reality is, the punishments for traffic violations getting harsher is in line with the increased punishment for all crimes. There's just some people that have decided that they want to break the laws that serve them, but then want to bitch about lying in the bed they made for themselves.

Skip Towne
03-04-2006, 08:06 PM
Penalties are being increased for a lot of crimes.

They are getting tougher on child abuse and sex offenders
They are getting tougher on murderers and rapists
They are getting tougher on drug dealers
They are getting tougher on drunk drivers

It's happening across the board. Is it okay? That depends on your opinion of punishment as a deterrent. Personally, I think most people don't feel they'll get caught, so the the threat of punishment doesn't work very well until the punishment becomes so imbalanced in comparison to the crime. A good example is DUI. They are so hard on people now, it's finally setting in for some.

As far as I'm concerned, they can start putting a lot more people to death. Anyone convicted of a second felony can hang.

I was simply commenting on all the people crying about municipalities using traffic fines to generate money. The reality is, the punishments for traffic violations getting harsher is in line with the increased punishment for all crimes. There's just some people that have decided that they want to break the laws that serve them, but then want to bitch about lying in the bed they made for themselves.
Amen Brother! I'm trying to be as clean living and law abiding as you. But you're so saintly it's hard to measure up.

jspchief
03-04-2006, 08:47 PM
Amen Brother! I'm trying to be as clean living and law abiding as you. But you're so saintly it's hard to measure up.I'm not anywhere near saintly. I do my share of law breaking, and don't have any intention of stopping soon.

The difference is, I don't whine like a bitch when I have to face the consequences of my actions

Skip Towne
03-04-2006, 08:48 PM
I'm not anywhere near saintly. I do my share of law breaking, and don't have any intention of stopping soon.

The difference is, I don't whine like a bitch when I have to face the consequences of my actions
I do so aspire to be like you.

Chiefs Express
03-04-2006, 08:58 PM

My son got one for the same and goes to court this month. The fine is $108.50.

Chiefs Express
03-04-2006, 08:59 PM
State and municipal governments are financially drained. They try to make up for it with these artificially high fines and plenty of them.

Isn't that where the donut money comes from?

mcan
03-05-2006, 06:34 AM
I had a dream last night that my friend was going to go to prison for 2 months for going 11 mph over the speed limit on I-70...

The dream took place first, in the courtroom, where the judge handed down a sentace of 2 days in prison to this long haired guy who was brought in for a DUI, speeding, reckless endangerment, and for totaling his car into a light pole.

Then my friend went before the judge and the judge looked all pissed off and sentanced him to 2 months for just a speeding ticket.

Chiefs Express
03-05-2006, 06:48 AM
I had a dream last night that my friend was going to go to prison for 2 months for going 11 mph over the speed limit on I-70...

The dream took place first, in the courtroom, where the judge handed down a sentace of 2 days in prison to this long haired guy who was brought in for a DUI, speeding, reckless endangerment, and for totaling his car into a light pole.

Then my friend went before the judge and the judge looked all pissed off and sentanced him to 2 months for just a speeding ticket.

Pizza dream?:)

ZepSinger
03-05-2006, 08:56 AM
I got busted for 55 in a 45 a couple months ago (outer Kansas City). As always, I paid double plus court costs to keep it off my record. Goodbye, $265. The night I went in to pay, there were 50 others waiting to do the same. Figuring my ticket as average, that's $12,800 in 2 hours, in one city courthouse.
I don't for a second believe the "it's for your safety" line. It's all about the $$$.

Skip Towne
03-05-2006, 08:59 AM
I got busted for 55 in a 45 a couple months ago (outer Kansas City). As always, I paid double plus court costs to keep it off my record. Goodbye, $265. The night I went in to pay, there were 50 others waiting to do the same. Figuring my ticket as average, that's $12,800 in 2 hours, in one city courthouse.
I don't for a second believe the "it's for your safety" line. It's all about the $$$.
The Tulsa County Courthouse has a never ending line of people waiting to give them their money. I need a deal like that.

andoman
03-05-2006, 06:14 PM
I would have no problem paying the stated fine for something like speeding so long as the cops

Don't speed around town themselves.
Don't look the other way for one of their own.

If cops don't follow traffic laws, why should I be expected to?

Over-Head
03-05-2006, 06:32 PM
First one here on the island is $25, second one is $400.
**But bear in mind that there's only one stretch on the whole Island that the limit is higher than 50KM (aprox 30MPH) and it's only 60KM

Skip Towne
03-05-2006, 06:36 PM
First one here on the island is $25, second one is $400.
**But bear in mind that there's only one stretch on the whole Island that the limit is higher than 50KM (aprox 30MPH) and it's only 60KM
How did you find that island? How big is it? How many people?

Over-Head
03-05-2006, 06:54 PM
How did you find that island? How big is it? How many people?
www.bellisland.net (http://www.bellisland.net) should answer most of your questions

Mile High Mania
03-05-2006, 07:11 PM
I often go up to 10 miles over the posted speed limit... but, 20 over is a bit excessive.

Skip Towne
03-05-2006, 07:13 PM
I often go up to 10 miles over the posted speed limit... but, 20 over is a bit excessive.
Even 10 over will get you a $100 fine.

DenverChief
03-05-2006, 07:28 PM

The legislature sets the fine amounts not the cops

Mile High Mania
03-05-2006, 07:30 PM
There are a lot of people that have simply forgotten how to drive... I just think it's funny to read people hammering on police.

"Sure, I was going 65 in a 55, but damn... there wasn't something better they could have been doing?"

Geez.

Skip Towne
03-05-2006, 07:36 PM
The legislature sets the fine amounts not the cops
Not in this case. It is a city ordinance. This city passes it's own laws so it can up the fine. A no seatbelt ticket by the highway patrol is $20. It is $35 in this city even though the state law says no more $20 including court costs.

KCChiefsMan
03-05-2006, 09:33 PM
the tickets/fines are a mutli BILLION dollar industry. I truly believe that cops are not here to serve or protect, that saying needs to go! They are basically just out to get ya!