PDA

View Full Version : Walk the Line

Dunit35
03-03-2006, 07:47 PM
Has anyone seen this movie? I really want to rent it but all 50 copies Hastings had were out and so were all 50 copies at the Movie Gallery. I've heard it's awesome, what do you all think?

Katipan
03-03-2006, 07:49 PM
I think ENDelt is an asshole.

But I hear the movie was fantastic. I think I'll have to buy it.

bogie
03-03-2006, 07:51 PM
It is awesome. An award winning performance by Joaquin Phoenix.

KcMizzou
03-03-2006, 07:51 PM
I saw it last night. Very good. The actors' singing was pretty amazing.

Vegas_Dave
03-03-2006, 07:52 PM
Go down to Walmart and buy it. GREAT movie. Personally I think that it should have been nominated for Best Movie.

I am not a Johnny Cash fan but this movie is wonderful. Plus not to mention that both Joaquin Phoenix and Reese Witherspoon did all their own singing, and you would not be able to tell.

Awesome.

Bob Dole
03-03-2006, 07:52 PM
Bob Dole heard the Texarkana scene was one of the most compelling.

stevieray
03-03-2006, 07:54 PM
I'm watching it later tonight.

Dunit35
03-03-2006, 07:54 PM
I saw it last night. Very good. The actors' singing was pretty amazing.

I heard that on T.V. They said everyones singing in it was amazing. I can't wait to see it.

plbrdude
03-03-2006, 07:55 PM
i'll find out tomorrow, wife brought home a copy today. takin it to friends house tomorrow night to watch. i guess that really doesn't help much though does it?

Dunit35
03-03-2006, 07:55 PM
Go down to Walmart and buy it. GREAT movie. Personally I think that it should have been nominated for Best Movie.

I am not a Johnny Cash fan but this movie is wonderful. Plus not to mention that both Joaquin Phoenix and Reese Witherspoon did all their own singing, and you would not be able to tell.

Awesome.

I'd love to buy it. The thing is I'm a college student and I need beer money tomorrow night.

plbrdude
03-03-2006, 07:57 PM
steal it then

Adept Havelock
03-03-2006, 07:57 PM
Great Flick. Well worth the time and money.

plbrdude
03-03-2006, 07:59 PM
just kidding. don't steal anything

JBucc
03-03-2006, 08:04 PM
just kidding. don't steal anythingYeah just borrow it until the person dies.

banyon
Reese Witherspoon's performance is actually better than Joaquin Phoenix's IMO.

I think she'll win, but Phoenix won't (actor will go to Hoffman b/c of all of his supporting work in the past).

Dunit35
just kidding. don't steal anything

Yeah...go to jail for 20 bucks. Good idea...

DJay23
03-03-2006, 08:11 PM
Plus not to mention that both Joaquin Phoenix and Reese Witherspoon did all their own singing, and you would not be able to tell.

They did an admirable job. Wouldn't be easy to do for anyone. Fans of the music can tell a huge difference though.

I thought the movie was ok. I'm a big Johnny Cash fan, and I have to say I left the theater a little disappointed. Can't quite place my finger on why. I need to see it again to figure it out.

dilligaf
03-03-2006, 10:01 PM
It is a very good movie, but it was better the first time I saw it when it was named Ray.

cdcox
03-03-2006, 10:07 PM
Very good movie. If you think it is amazing that the actors did their own singing, consider that in the movie Nashville, not only did the actors do their own singing, they also composed and wrote their own songs. Nashville is a hugely underated classic, and I'm not a fan of country music by any stretch of the imagination.

HemiEd
03-03-2006, 10:07 PM
I saw it on the Airplane recently, I loved the movie. It was given to me as a Birthday gift so I am going to watch it again this weekend, highly recommend it.

patteeu
03-03-2006, 10:28 PM
I thought it was a really good movie. The only thing that bothered me about it was the way they made the first wife (Vivian Carter) kind of an unsympathetic character. My wife didn't come away thinking that though so maybe it was just me. I guess I would have liked to see more character development for her character. All in all though, it was a good time.

BigRedChief
03-03-2006, 10:35 PM
I own the Johhny Cash at San Quentin album. It was the 3rd album that I ever bought. The movie rocks.

Halfcan
03-03-2006, 11:04 PM
I think ENDelt is an asshole.

So is the Honeymoon over?

Katipan
03-03-2006, 11:15 PM
I like Assholes.

ChiefsFanatic
03-03-2006, 11:48 PM
It is a very good movie, but it was better the first time I saw it when it was named Ray.

I think Walk The Line is much better than Ray. Fox was amazing in Ray, and I am not saying that Phoenix or Witherspoon were better, but the overall movie was better.

KcMizzou
03-03-2006, 11:49 PM
I think Walk The Line is much better than Ray. Fox was amazing in Ray, and I am not saying that Phoenix or Witherspoon were better, but the overall movie was better.I agree. Fox did just as good a job, but I liked this story better.

Halfcan
03-03-2006, 11:51 PM
I havn't watched it yet so don't spoil the ending.

ChiefsFanatic
03-03-2006, 11:51 PM
I thought it was a really good movie. The only thing that bothered me about it was the way they made the first wife (Vivian Carter) kind of an unsympathetic character. My wife didn't come away thinking that though so maybe it was just me. I guess I would have liked to see more character development for her character. All in all though, it was a good time.

I thought they portrayed her as a victim. I saw an E! THS about Cash today. His first wife was seriously scary looking. They did her a big favor by casting an attractive woman to play her in the movie. And I don't think her last name was Carter. Later he married June Carter.

KcMizzou
03-03-2006, 11:52 PM
I havn't watched it yet so don't spoil the ending.The boat sinks.. the ape dies, and Vader is Luke's father.

ChiefsFanatic
03-03-2006, 11:55 PM
The boat sinks.. the ape dies, and Vader is Luke's father.

and Bruce Willis is really dead.

Halfcan
03-03-2006, 11:56 PM
The boat sinks.. the ape dies, and Vader is Luke's father.

Dammit KC!!! No point in renting it now. Whats next-Brokeback mountain has gay cowboys in it?

ChiefsFanatic
03-03-2006, 11:56 PM
Dammit KC!!! No point in renting it now. Whats next-Brokeback mountain has gay cowboys in it?

No, just bad acting.

mike_b_284
03-04-2006, 12:45 AM
I thought Walk the Line sucked. My dad told me it was great so I saw it at the movie theaters. It was too long and too much of the same crap. It would have been better had they not drawn out the June Carter thing so much, 70% of the movie is him drooling over her. Not to mention they didn't show any of what happend that made him a great. All they showed was him screwing up. His life turned around at the point the movie ended, this is when he got his "legend" status. Plus I really, really, don't like country music, and the crap reese witherspoon sang got on my nerves. Maybe it is a generational thing?

luv
03-04-2006, 01:00 AM
Everyone I have talked to, that has seen it, love it. I'm looking forward to getting to watch it.

mike_b_284
03-04-2006, 01:01 AM
to each his own.

greg63
03-04-2006, 01:04 AM

ROFLROFLROFL

Brokeback Mountain is about gay cowboys??? :p

Barrymore50
03-04-2006, 02:18 AM
I thought it was good, but probably too long. Too many concert reenactments make it drag in the middle...some.

Deberg_1990
03-04-2006, 03:05 AM
Its a truly great film. It, Cinderalla Man and History of Violence should have been nominted for Best Picture over OVERRATED Crash.

Miles
03-04-2006, 03:11 AM
Its a truly great film. It, Cinderalla Man and History of Violence should have been nominted for Best Picture over OVERRATED Crash.

Im trying to avoid reading this thread since I figue there are some spoilers, but I wouldnt suprise me if it was snubbed in favor of Crash. The only other two I have see that were nominated, Capote and Munich, were far better than Crash.

DJay23
03-04-2006, 07:56 AM
I thought Walk the Line sucked. My dad told me it was great so I saw it at the movie theaters. It was too long and too much of the same crap. It would have been better had they not drawn out the June Carter thing so much, 70% of the movie is him drooling over her. Not to mention they didn't show any of what happend that made him a great. All they showed was him screwing up. His life turned around at the point the movie ended, this is when he got his "legend" status. Plus I really, really, don't like country music, and the crap reese witherspoon sang got on my nerves. Maybe it is a generational thing?
I think you were maybe expecting a Johnny Cash biopic when what they were aiming for was to tell the beginning of their love affair. It's a great story, but I just didn't find it to be overly exciting or inspiring.

Dr. Facebook Fever
03-04-2006, 09:02 AM
I shot a man in Reno... just to watch him die...

Cash was a god.

patteeu
03-04-2006, 10:16 AM
I thought they portrayed her as a victim. I saw an E! THS about Cash today. His first wife was seriously scary looking. They did her a big favor by casting an attractive woman to play her in the movie. And I don't think her last name was Carter. Later he married June Carter.

LOL, yes, I meant Vivian Cash.

That's how my wife saw it too. I thought she came across as a spoiled bitch, who may have had good reason to be bitchy but I didn't see enough in the movie to see it as justified. That's why I would have liked to see more development of her character.

CosmicPal
03-04-2006, 10:18 AM
I really want to rent it but all 50 copies Hastings had were out and so were all 50 copies at the Movie Gallery. I've heard it's awesome, what do you all think?

I think that's a major clue: All 100 copies were rented out in a time when video stores are struggling.

BTW- it's a great movie. Reese will is a sure bet to get an Oscar for her role. She was dynamic.

Ari Chi3fs
03-04-2006, 10:25 AM
one of the best movies I saw all year. Of course, I have only seen like 2.

But im a huge cash fan.

DeepPurple
03-04-2006, 10:39 AM
I'm getting ready to go to Blockbuster and return my copy, just rented it yesteday. They had a whole section from top to bottom, probably a 100+ copies, and there was maybe 10 copies on the shelf yesterday morning when I got mine. I found out when renting movies on a Friday don't wait until everyone is off work.

I enjoyed the flick a lot, wish there had been a little more singing since that was obviously the best part. Reminded me of many years ago when Gary Busey played Buddy Holly in his bio movie and he did his own singing. In fact, since there was never a Buddy Holly live album I bought the soundtrack to that movie and still listen to it from time to time. I bought the Johnny Cash Live at San Quentin album when it was new in 1968, it was one of the first albums I ever bought. I graduated from high school that year and started collecting albums since I had a little more money and I remember playing that record to death. They had the actual prison concert footage on CMT channel last weekend, if you want to see it check their listings, they may rerun it.

I can remember regularly watching the Johnny Cash show on TV, that and Sonny & Cher was the young peoples alternative to the Andy Williams and Dean Martin variety shows at the time. Johnny was a big part of our culture back then, and the movie did a good job in showing his rise to fame, I wish they had gone a little further in his life after he had reached national fame.

The special features of the DVD has ten deleted scenes. I know the film runs 2 hrs and 10 minutes but after watching the scenes they seem to help make the story flow better. If anyone is interested in buying it, Walmart had it for $14.98, there was a deluxe 2 disc version which I think was about $22.

Sure-Oz
03-04-2006, 05:33 PM
bought it and watching tonight, heard it was real good

Reaper16
03-04-2006, 05:39 PM
No, just bad acting.
We must have seen different movies.

Back to topic, I really enjoyed Walk the Line. I don't think the film itself was best picture quality. Too bad for Joaquin, any other year almost and he'd win the Oscar. He won't beat Hoffman.
This was the first movie where I've actually liked Reese Witherspoon's performance. It was the best in the film, and deserves the Oscar.

ROYC75
03-04-2006, 05:41 PM
Good flick..........

Wife didn't want to watch it, bought it for her mom,she changed her mine and watched it a 2nd time when I could watch it, she liked it, she didn't like Johnny Cash and was sure she wouldn't like it.

I enjoyed it, it could have went on longer, I would have watched it.

listopencil
03-04-2006, 07:27 PM
I liked the movie but I thought "Ray" was better, and I'm a huge Cash fan. I agree with you beer me, he was music god.

Miles
03-05-2006, 12:55 AM
Just finishd watching it and really enjoyed it. Most of my thoughts are pretty much the same as Reaper16's.

Joaquin was really good and even better than he usually is. Though as good as his performance was, it was not anywhere close to Hoffman's in Capote.

Along with Pheonex and Joaquin the acting was really solid with the supporting cast. I was pretty suprised with Robert Patrick.

ChiefsFanatic
03-05-2006, 01:03 AM
We must have seen different movies.

Back to topic, I really enjoyed Walk the Line. I don't think the film itself was best picture quality. Too bad for Joaquin, any other year almost and he'd win the Oscar. He won't beat Hoffman.
This was the first movie where I've actually liked Reese Witherspoon's performance. It was the best in the film, and deserves the Oscar.

I just don't This BBM lived up to the hype.

I saw a movie called The Man in the Moon, in about 90 or 91. It was her first movie, and she played a little sister, who was in love with her big sister's boyfriend. I knew when I saw that movie that she would end up being a star.

Rausch
03-05-2006, 01:33 AM
As far as "should have gotten one but didn't" I think Will Smith in Ali was a lock.

He was absolutely amazing. Anyone who knows anything about Ali knows he went above and beyond for that role.

Unfortunately, it was "Just give Denzel Washington a ****ing award already" year...

Slainte
03-05-2006, 01:44 AM
I saw a movie called The Man in the Moon, in about 90 or 91.

I enjoyed the heck out of her nude scenes in that film...

luv
03-05-2006, 01:46 AM
I enjoyed the heck out of her nude scenes in that film...
:eek: She was like 14 in that film!

Dunit35
03-05-2006, 01:46 AM
I am really excited to see this movie after reading most of these comments. I can't wait for this movie to come in at the video store.

Slainte
03-05-2006, 01:49 AM
:eek: She was like 14 in that film!

She was seventeen (IIRC) and had parential consent to film those scenes. That's good enough for government work, as far as I'm concerned.

HemiEd
03-05-2006, 07:03 AM
Watched it again last night, much better the second time. I think the surround sound helped it a lot, better than those cheap Airline head sets.

plbrdude
03-05-2006, 08:07 AM
watched it last night and really enjoyed it. i'm neither a cash fan or a country music fan. but this was a good movie and i'm sure i'll watch it again.

Halfcan
03-05-2006, 10:08 PM
Reece just won-great movie

Dunit35
03-12-2006, 12:23 AM
Finally I get to watch it...Just rented it at Hastings...

greg63
03-12-2006, 12:30 AM
Finally I get to watch it...Just rented it at Hastings...

Be sure to let us know what the verdict is? :D

Dunit35
03-12-2006, 12:37 AM
Be sure to let us know what the verdict is? :D

Plan on it. So far so good.

greg63
03-12-2006, 12:39 AM
Plan on it. So far so good.

:thumb:

luv
03-12-2006, 01:27 AM
I just watched this tonight. Very good.

Watched Hustle & Flow last night, and just got done watching Flightplan. Both of them were good as well.

Sure-Oz
03-12-2006, 01:33 AM
One of my favorite movies ever.

Dunit35
03-12-2006, 02:44 AM
:thumb: :thumb:

Amazing. Simply Amazing. I am buying this later today. It was one of those movies that I was upset because it ended. The music was great and everything about this movie was amazing.

greg63
03-12-2006, 03:07 AM
:thumb: :thumb:

Amazing. Simply Amazing. I am buying this later today. It was one of those movies that I was upset because it ended. The music was great and everything about this movie was amazing.
I think I'll check it out. ;)

Bwana
03-12-2006, 10:58 PM
I jsut got done watching it and really enjoyed it. Well worth the money.