PDA

View Full Version : I don't understand...

HMc
03-03-2006, 08:54 PM
Why no CBA would mean a strike/lockout.

If they fail to come to an agreement, and the players association dissolves, sureley this means that players and teams will be able to negotiate on a one to one basis. Market forces would determine what someone was worth, not minimum amounts determined by union action.

Why would there be a lockout?

JBucc
03-03-2006, 09:14 PM
Why would the NFLPA dissolve?

pikesome
03-03-2006, 09:18 PM
Why no CBA would mean a strike/lockout.

If they fail to come to an agreement, and the players association dissolves, sureley this means that players and teams will be able to negotiate on a one to one basis. Market forces would determine what someone was worth, not minimum amounts determined by union action.

Why would there be a lockout?

The thinking is that the owners would not allow an un-capped year even if that means a lock out to force a new CBA.

Mr. Kotter
03-03-2006, 10:38 PM
If the CBA and salary cap are not renewed.....8-10 teams, from large metro areas, or those with "national" fans....would dominate the League. It would become like major league baseball....

Larger market/teams with "national" following.....tend to draw more revenue from TV, marketing, and other deals like high revenue "luxury boxes" with their new stadium deals, give them more money....and that gives them more to spend that is necessary to sign free agents--lots of them. Meanwhile, small market/lower revenue teams would be unable to really compete....

The idea is, while you may have an occasional small market/lower revenue team sneak into the playoff and make some noise....a team like KC or even Pittsburg, or say Seattle....usually the playoffs would look something like this with no CBA and no cap:

NFC Championship: NY Giants vs. Dallas Cowboys, or maybe Philadelphia Eagles vs. Chicago Bears.
AFC Championship: Oakland Raiders vs. New England Patriots, or maybe the New York Jets vs. Cleveland Browns.

Meanwhile, the other teams would rarely sniff the playoffs, let alone the SuperBowl. Just like Major League Baseball.....

Interest would wane; dramatically.

KCChiefsFan88
03-03-2006, 11:02 PM
NFC Championship: NY Giants vs. Dallas Cowboys, or maybe Philadelphia Eagles vs. Chicago Bears.
AFC Championship: Oakland Raiders vs. New England Patriots, or maybe the New York Jets vs. Cleveland Browns.

Meanwhile, the other teams would rarely sniff the playoffs, let alone the SuperBowl. Just like Major League Baseball.....

Interest would wane; dramatically.

I think the Raiders would be one of the teams most affected by no salary cap and a decrease in revenue sharing. Not only are they in a small market but they play in one of the lowest revenue producing stadiums in the NFL.

Mr. Kotter
03-03-2006, 11:08 PM
I think the Raiders would be one of the teams most affected by no salary cap and a decrease in revenue sharing. Not only are they in a small market but they play in one of the lowest revenue producing stadiums in the NFL.

As a rival fan, I'm tempted to think the same thing; the Raiders still have a "national" appeal though....

with druggies, rapists, murders, thugs and other violent offender-miscreant-delinquent types. :)

HemiEd
03-03-2006, 11:13 PM
As a rival fan, I'm tempted to think the same thing; the Raiders still have a "national" appeal though....

with druggies, rapists, murders, thugs and other violent offender-miscreant-delinquent types. :)

Good point but they do not sell out there games now, do you think that would change?

Mr. Kotter
03-03-2006, 11:16 PM
Good point but they do not sell out there games now, do you think that would change?

Maybe "live" games at the Stadium....but they still do very well, ratings-wise, on Nationally televised games, last I heard. Even the last year or two; which makes our total owning of them....and winning the way we have against them, all the sweeter. :D

StcChief
03-03-2006, 11:24 PM
Advertising $$$ in metro areas would need to widen.
Would depend on how market split TV dollars.

Raiders in the SF bay market with 49ers....

This applies to all the lumped east coast teams.

Baltimore Ravens, Redskins ($$$),
N.Carolina Panthers in Charlotte

NJ Jets, NY Giants, NE Pats, Philly Eagles.

N. Fla teams, J'Ville Jags, TB Bucs compete with ATL.

Buffalo, Cleveland, Detroit, Pittsburgh

Chicago, GB, Minn

Indy, Nashville Titans

STL Lambs, KC Chiefs

Dungver Dallas Houston

AZ and SD (LA Vegas in future)

Leaving Seattle Miami alone geographic area

No Cap effects more than players and league owners
ultimately would need to play in to larger market distribution of $$$ and adversting showing more games over bigger area. This to help it compete $$$$ for smaller market teams.

HemiEd
03-03-2006, 11:31 PM
Maybe "live" games at the Stadium....but they still do very well, ratings-wise, on Nationally televised games, last I heard. Even the last year or two; which makes our total owning of them....and winning the way we have against them, all the sweeter. :D

That is still the first goal of each season, beating them bastiches!

I was thinking the Dolphins might be one of the elite with the Jets if things go sour, what do you think?