PDA

View Full Version : Ben Davidson, Raiders

jspchief
03-03-2006, 09:59 PM
I had lunch with Ben Davidson today.

I was eating lunch with my buddy at his bar, when the Miller Lite rep sat down at our table with another guy. After some business talk, the Miller reps says "Ben played for the Raiders". I had my Chiefs hat on, and said you're in the company of an enemy right now. He laughed and said that the Chiefs were a big rival for them, so I asked when he played. He went on to tell me that he played during the stretch when the Chiefs were going to the Superbowl. I asked, "were you playing when Otis Taylor got in a fight for the Raiders cheap shot on Dawson?" and he laughed and said, "Yea, I was the guy that made that hit that set it off". I told him he was even less welcome than I had originally hinted, saying he may be the most hated Raider in history in the minds of Chiefs fans.

Anyway, he went on to tell me some good stories about the Raiders, Al Davis, and some of the Chiefs players he knew, like Tyrer, Buchanon, and Podalak. He was a heck of a nice guy, and very willing to talk football (which a lot of players don't want to do). It was an interesting chance encounter.

http://www.raiders.com/images/pics/Davidson_B-4-11.jpg

He still has the mustache, it's just white now.

Nzoner
03-03-2006, 10:07 PM
Married a Bronco fan and now lunch with not only a Raider but Ben Davidson :shake:

Seriously,good story,just please don't tell me you asked for an autograph.

cdcox
03-03-2006, 10:10 PM
I hope I would have been mature enough to resist the overwhelming urge to kick him in the balls for what he did to Lenny. Actually, there is a lot to be said for immaturity.

Mr. Kotter
03-03-2006, 10:10 PM
Did you make him pay for lunch, at least? ;)

Yeah, players and other celebities are people just like the rest of us.

Except for John Elway, of course. He's the spawn of the devil.

jspchief
03-03-2006, 10:25 PM
Married a Bronco fan and now lunch with not only a Raider but Ben Davidson :shake:

Seriously,good story,just please don't tell me you asked for an autograph.Nah, I'm not much of an autograph guy. Besides, we had such a great conversation, it really didn't even occur to me until after he left.

He told me some good stories. Apparently him and Tyrer met at a college all-star game they both played in, and became close freinds. He said when the two teams met they'd line up for the first snap of the game, asking about wives and kids and exchanging general pleasantries, then as soon as the ball was snapped they went at each other like crazed dogs. Then at the end of the game it was "Nice to see ya, tell the wife I said hi, see ya next game" etc. He said Tyrer ended up killing his wife and himself. I didn't know that.

He also talked about an encounter with Taylor at a charity function later in life when Parkinson's had really taken hold of Otis. He approached him and joked "let's finish this thing", referring to the fight from that game. I guess Taylor got a kick out of it.

Said he attended Buck Buchanon's funeral with Gene Upshaw, and one other Raider (can't remember which). Said they were the only three Raiders there, and caught a lot of hell from other Chiefs players.

Also told some stories about Al Davis from the last time Art Shell coached. Said Al wanted to control everything, wouldn't even let Shell discipline certain players. He seemed to think that Shell won't be bothered this time around, because Davis' health is so poor, he doesn't have the physical capability to interfere.

WilliamTheIrish
03-03-2006, 10:28 PM
That's a great story.

That SOB cost us the game after Lenny (would have) won it on the naked bootleg.

Davidson speared Dawson (flag), Otis slams Davidson, (flag) the field turns into a melee.

They replayed the down and we had to punt.

Then Blanda kicked the game tying FG.

I'm still pissed aout it.

jspchief
03-03-2006, 10:33 PM
He said he didn't receive a scratch in the fight. Apparently he was buried at the bottom of the pile and just had to lay there. Said their MLB grabbed Taylor, then someone else ripped the MLB's helmet off, and he got cleated in the head 4 or 5 times. The LB told Ben to feel the four oozing cleat holes in his head and said "this is what I got for helping your ass".

Damn, it was so interesting. I could have talked to him for hours.

WilliamTheIrish
03-03-2006, 10:34 PM
He said Tyrer ended up killing his wife and himself. I didn't know that

That was one sad story. His business (Amway or some company like that) went in the tank and he went into a depression that resulted in a murder/suicide.

stevieray
03-03-2006, 10:37 PM
I remember when WW and I ran into Bobby Bell and Conrad Dobler. dobler bit WW's ear when I was taking their pic.

Those older players are still pretty damn big, I can only imagine how big in stature they were back then.

stevieray
03-03-2006, 10:38 PM
That was one sad story. His business (Amway or some company like that) went in the tank and he went into a depression that resulted in a murder/suicide.

He gave me my first trophy for playing football.

jspchief
03-03-2006, 10:39 PM
I remember when WW and I ran into Bobby Bell and Conrad Dobler. dobler bit WW's ear when I was taking their pic.

Those older players are still pretty damn big, I can only imagine how big in stature they were back then.Yea, my buddy commented on the size of his hands. Said "I felt like a baby shaking hands with an adult".

Obviously he's pretty old now, and he's certainly thinner. But he's still tall with a booming voice, and is a commanding figure for someone his age.

stevieray
03-03-2006, 10:41 PM
Yea, my buddy commented on the size of his hands. Said "I felt like a baby shaking hands with an adult".

Obviously he's pretty old now, and he's certainly thinner. But he's still tall with a booming voice, and is a commanding figure for someone his age.

Willie Lanier still looks like he would plow somebody over. Dude has intense eyes.

Frazod
03-03-2006, 10:43 PM
I'm too young to remember him playing for the Raiders. To me, he's Rexor from Conan the Barbarian. It's cool that you met him.

jspchief
03-03-2006, 10:45 PM
To me, he's Rexor from Conan the Barbarian. Holy Shit! I didn't know that.

Damn, that's one of my favorite all time movies. Looking at the picture I posted, it's obvious to me now.

cdcox
03-03-2006, 10:46 PM
I watched the Dawson-Davidson-Taylor incident live on TV. There is one aspect of the story that I remember vividly that is never told. After the fight broke up, the officials initially marked the penalty off against the Raiders. Chiefs had a first down, the lead, and the game pretty much in hand. Madden threw a hissy fit on the sideline and started pulling his players off the field and telling them to go to the locker room. The officials then called it offsetting penalties and made it a no play. This time the Raiders held, the Chiefs punted and Blanda kicked a last second field goal to end the game in a tie. Anyone else remember Madden threatening to pull his players off the field?

Frazod
03-03-2006, 10:48 PM
Holy Shit! I didn't know that.

Damn, that's one of my favorite all time movies. Looking at the picture I posted, it's obvious to me now.

That's one of my favorites, too. I just watched it for the 100th or so time last week. Too bad you didn't make the connection while you were talking to him.

chefsos
03-03-2006, 10:48 PM
These are some cool stories, jsp. I'm reminded that these players we've watched and read about are just guys, too, with stories about people they've known and worked with, the difference being that the stories involve "famous" people. I can see where you'd like to sit down with a guy like that for days and pick his brain.

The first I heard of Davidson was the Lite commercials he did, I guess in the 70's or 80's. I only found out later that he was a Raider and was the guy who speared Dawson, so I was never able to gin up the appropriate fanatical hatred of the guy.

stevieray
03-03-2006, 10:49 PM
These are some cool stories, jsp. I'm reminded that these players we've watched and read about are just guys, too, with stories about people they've known and worked with, the difference being that the stories involve "famous" people. I can see where you'd like to sit down with a guy like that for days and pick his brain.

The first I heard of Davidson was the Lite commercials he did, I guess in the 70's or 80's. I only found out later that he was a Raider and was the guy who speared Dawson, so I was never able to gin up the appropriate fanatical hatred of the guy.

Those commercials are classic.

jspchief
03-03-2006, 10:55 PM

The first I heard of Davidson was the Lite commercials he did, I guess in the 70's or 80's. I only found out later that he was a Raider and was the guy who speared Dawson, so I was never able to gin up the appropriate fanatical hatred of the guy.Yea, his relationship with Miller Lite, doing those commercials is how he got connected with the guy that brought him to my buddy's bar. He said he did like 37 commercials for them one with Madden and Buchanon I think. I don't remember those commercials, must have been before my time.

The thing that struck me was how much he seemed to enjoy talking about that stuff. I've met other Cheifs players and other pro athletes, and the younger guys are all bitter or act like they don't want to talk about that stuff. he clearly enjoyed relaying these stories, and had a gleam in his eye the whole time. I think if he'd had the time, we would have spent the whole afternoon shooting the shit.

Rain Man
03-03-2006, 11:35 PM
If Satan was at the next table, I would've moved and sat next to Satan.

Phobia
03-03-2006, 11:42 PM

What's the other story floating around about that incident?

Bwana
03-03-2006, 11:47 PM
I posted this before, but I met Howie Long this last summer at flathead lake. He is the next door neighbor of the friend of mine where we were staying. I hate to say it, but he was one hell of a nice guy as well. Shot the shit with him for about 20 minutes, mostly about football.

Coach
03-04-2006, 01:27 AM

Hmm... good luck w/ that.

chefsos
03-04-2006, 01:34 AM
You could have a fair bit of confidence in the food being hot, so there's that.

Chiefnj
03-04-2006, 07:01 AM
Great story.

As a Chiefs fan I hate to admit it, but I've heard stories about how some of the older Raiders players are pretty cool guys if you meet them in person. It's a shame that some of the younger active players can't act with same class as guys who've retired.

Skip Towne
03-04-2006, 07:21 AM

Seriously,good story,just please don't tell me you asked for an autograph.
And besides all that, he is an Iowa guy who can't spell Podolak.

Chief Henry
03-04-2006, 07:30 AM
Thats one hell of story. I could sit and listen to guys for hours tell stories. Thanks for sharing that with us.

Chief Henry
03-04-2006, 07:32 AM
I watched the Dawson-Davidson-Taylor incident live on TV. There is one aspect of the story that I remember vividly that is never told. After the fight broke up, the officials initially marked the penalty off against the Raiders. Chiefs had a first down, the lead, and the game pretty much in hand. Madden threw a hissy fit on the sideline and started pulling his players off the field and telling them to go to the locker room. The officials then called it offsetting penalties and made it a no play. This time the Raiders held, the Chiefs punted and Blanda kicked a last second field goal to end the game in a tie. Anyone else remember Madden threatening to pull his players off the field?

That sucks. I knew Davidson was the POS that speered Lenny, but i didn't realize all the ramifications of that play and how the game ended.
John Madden, you SUCK BOALS.

wilas101
03-04-2006, 07:37 AM
on the subject of conan the barbarian, he was also the dude convicted of computer fraud in necessary roughness.

Dinny Blues
03-04-2006, 07:46 AM
He was also in Behind The Green Door.

Dinny

whoman69
03-04-2006, 07:53 AM
By rule the play should have stood with no penalites being marked off. The penalty on Davidson was during live action while the penalty on Taylor was a dead ball foul. Madden always had some sort of whiny manner over the refs, I'm surprised that they didn't overturn the immaculate reception.
Davidson was one of the dirtiest players in history, but as he showed in later Superstar shows, he is very entertaining and amicable off the field. I still wouldn't eat with him.

StcChief
03-04-2006, 09:07 AM
JSP nice chance encounter.

Despite being a Raider player. Good stories with guys that lived 'em are nice to hear.

Put this in the classic

the Talking Can
03-04-2006, 09:16 AM
I'm too young to remember him playing for the Raiders. To me, he's Rexor from Conan the Barbarian. It's cool that you met him.

holy crap

that's one of my favorite movies...good call

milkman
03-04-2006, 10:57 AM

One of the reasons I could never like Madden as an analyst.

I've hated that SOB over 35 years now.

cdcox
03-04-2006, 11:00 AM
One of the reasons I could never like Madden as an analyst.

I've hated that SOB over 35 years now.

So you remember it that way, too? Very convenient how the that bit never gets mentioned in the official media retelling of the story.

milkman
03-04-2006, 11:02 AM
So you remember it that way, too? Very convenient how the that bit never gets mentioned in the official media retelling of the story.

I was young, and it was the first game that I really noticed how much of an impact officiating could impact the outcome of a game.

HemiEd
03-04-2006, 11:10 AM

I would like to think that, but I am not sure. I was at a convention a while back and had a chance to meet John Madden and turned it down. The guy that paid the appearence fee, was a good friend of mine and was shocked at my response.

Extra Point
03-04-2006, 02:50 PM

That's why the F*** I don't drink Miller Lite!

Dirty playin' SOB! Clothes linin' MF!

pikesome
03-04-2006, 03:45 PM
I posted this before, but I met Howie Long this last summer at flathead lake. He is the next door neighbor of the friend of mine where we were staying. I hate to say it, but he was one hell of a nice guy as well. Shot the shit with him for about 20 minutes, mostly about football.

On this same note a friend of a friend (I went to HS with the guy but we weren't close) won a trip to party at the Playboy Mansion for something. He said that almost everyone was kind of stuck-up and aloof but that while he was setting there Bill Maher comes over introduced himself and proceeds to take him around and meet people. He said Maher was cool and down to earth the whole time, treated him like an old schoolmate.

gblowfish
03-04-2006, 04:59 PM
I've met lots of Chiefs players in after football situations. I've done work for Rich Baldinger, Jeff Criswell, Bobby Bell, Jayice Pearson and a bunch of others.
Rich and Jeff are both really nice, good guys. Bobby Bell has always been friendly. A good friend of mine works out at the same gym that Jayice goes to out in Lee's Summit. Most of these guys don't really realize what they've got as NFL players until the career is over. Then they start to get an appreciation for how special it really is to have been an NFL player.

Haven't worked for any former Raiders, thank goodness.

Adept Havelock
03-04-2006, 05:49 PM
Very cool story. Thanks for sharing.

He was also in Behind The Green Door.

Dinny

That combination leads to some truly bizarre and disturbing "crossover" images. ROFL

royr17
03-04-2006, 05:51 PM
What I wanna know is, if Art Shell is such a good coach, then why hasnt he been coachin the last 10 to 15 years ???

munkey
03-04-2006, 06:07 PM
Heh...

I work out with an x-raider that can't stand Marcus Allen. He hasn't gone into real specifics but I get the feeling it was just his attitude...

redhed
03-04-2006, 06:11 PM
Great stories, all!
Wasn't Davidson also in the real "Longest Yard"?

KC Jones
03-04-2006, 06:21 PM
REXOR!!!!

http://www.nonsolomartelli.net/Images3/Film%20Fantasy/ConanMDG/Rexor.gif

Rain Man
03-04-2006, 11:14 PM

I bet Satan would have better stories.

"So then Hitler says to Lyle Alzado..."