PDA

View Full Version : CB at #20?

phxchief
03-04-2006, 06:36 AM
Depth after Surtain is disturbing, FA market looks overpriced, and some good value may be there.....

I was all about the DL, but now, you gotta wonder.

Thoughts?

JBucc
03-04-2006, 06:38 AM
ONLY if we get a good FA lineman and I don't think we will.

Deberg_1990
03-04-2006, 06:40 AM
Whatever the best cover CB or Pass Rushing DE is left on the board at #20. That will be who we pick. My gut tells me it will be a CB considering we just cut Warfield.

phxchief
03-04-2006, 06:40 AM
I'm all for improving the pass rush, but even that doesn't work miracles.

Actually imagine about who'll be in on a NB/dime package right now.... Surtain, Sapp, Washington, uh... Battle? Put a safety over a WR?

Dang. The QB could have half a second to throw and i'm sure someone would be open.

Herzig
03-04-2006, 06:41 AM
ONLY if we get a good FA lineman and I don't think we will.

Love the Hogs sig JBucc...Next year's football Hogs are going to fun to watch. I think we are probably tourament bound too. Looks like Stan saved his job this year.

phxchief
03-04-2006, 06:41 AM
Whatever the best cover CB or Pass Rushing DE is left on the board at #20.

This was my initial thought. Value.

If the 4th best DL is available and the #2 corner, we have to go CB, regardless.

Same goes if you swap scenarios.

JBucc
03-04-2006, 06:42 AM
Love the Hogs sig JBucc...Next year's football Hogs are going to fun to watch. I think we are probably tourament bound too. Looks like Stan saved his job this year.Thanks. Yeah I thought he was done for after Ole Miss but we've really turned things around.

whoman69
03-04-2006, 06:44 AM
The possibility exists that a deal can be struck and they will rescind the cut of Warfield and Stills. With $10 million left in cap money from the increase, there is no reason to think that we would stay that far under the cap in order to hit this free agent market for the unknown qualities there.

Bwana
03-04-2006, 06:48 AM
Sapp

Herzig
03-04-2006, 06:51 AM
Thanks. Yeah I thought he was done for after Ole Miss but we've really turned things around.

Yep...don't we play Georgia today?

JBucc
03-04-2006, 07:01 AM
Yep...don't we play Georgia today?tommorow

phxchief
03-04-2006, 07:11 AM
The possibility exists that a deal can be struck and they will rescind the cut of Warfield and Stills. With $10 million left in cap money from the increase, there is no reason to think that we would stay that far under the cap in order to hit this free agent market for the unknown qualities there.

True, but I think the possibility is still very high even with Warfield back.

BigVE
03-04-2006, 07:17 AM
I guess this is where we have to hope that Herm and his staff can do better at evaluating potential talent than the last regime. Just remember not ALL of the best players in the NFL came in the first round...your "skill" in drafting players comes into play when you have to find useful players at lower draft positions. Our draft skills will be tested this year for sure.

chief husker
03-04-2006, 07:21 AM
Sapp

Sapp or Alphonso Hodge. Hodge could be the starter.

Bwana
03-04-2006, 07:38 AM

IMHO, so could Sapp.

phxchief
03-04-2006, 07:48 AM
I guess this is where we have to hope that Herm and his staff can do better at evaluating potential talent than the last regime. Just remember not ALL of the best players in the NFL came in the first round...your "skill" in drafting players comes into play when you have to find useful players at lower draft positions. Our draft skills will be tested this year for sure.

Good points, but I think one thing to note is that most of the top corners in football were picked VERY high.

Reason being, probably, is that it's just a position that you require a lot of skill, whereas some positions you can get away with being smart, or high-motor (DE, for pure example). You gotta be fast or athletic or rangy to play corner....

Bailey, Woodson, CMac etc etc.

BTAU
03-04-2006, 08:45 AM
http://www.drafthistory.com/index.php?/weblog/entry/article164/

Here is a list of the league leaders last year in interceptions and passes defended and what round they got drafted in. It seems pretty comprehensive.

Chiefnj
03-04-2006, 08:51 AM

Why would you think Hodge could be a starter when he couldn't even make the roster last year? In itsn't like the Chiefs were deep at corner. I thought he was a decent draft pick, it was just somewhat baffling that he couldn't make the squad when a guy like Svitek did.

milkman
03-04-2006, 08:53 AM
I'm all for improving the pass rush, but even that doesn't work miracles.

Actually imagine about who'll be in on a NB/dime package right now.... Surtain, Sapp, Washington, uh... Battle? Put a safety over a WR?

Dang. The QB could have half a second to throw and i'm sure someone would be open.

You've seen the Pats win a SB with marginal corners, at best, which included a WR.

You've seen the Steelers win a SB with adequate corners at best.

And you haven't learned anything from it.

Fix the front seven, and find a speedy, hard hitting, playmaker at safety, and you can overcome weakness at corner.

If the Chiefs draft a corner in the first round, I will be pissed.

Coach
03-04-2006, 08:55 AM
You've seen the Pats win a SB with marginal corners, at best, which included a WR.

You've seen the Steelers win a SB with adequate corners at best.

And you haven't learned anything from it.

Fix the front seven, and find a speedy, hard hitting, playmaker at safety, and you can overcome weakness at corner.

If the Chiefs draft a corner in the first round, I will be pissed.

Yep. I agree. The front seven, especially the pass-rush, is in immediate need.

milkman
03-04-2006, 08:56 AM
Why would you think Hodge could be a starter when he couldn't even make the roster last year? In itsn't like the Chiefs were deep at corner. I thought he was a decent draft pick, it was just somewhat baffling that he couldn't make the squad when a guy like Svitek did.

I don't know if he can be the starter, though I did see things I liked from him in preseason last year.

I do know this, he should have been on the roster and McPassOn should have been sent packing.

Chief Roundup
03-04-2006, 09:04 AM
With all the rule changes on Pass Interference it is more important to have a top notch front seven

phxchief
03-04-2006, 09:31 AM
You've seen the Pats win a SB with marginal corners

Marginal corners + Pro Bowl safeties + a Pro Bowl corner in 2 of 3, not practice squad guys.

Get real.

phxchief
03-04-2006, 09:32 AM
With all the rule changes on Pass Interference it is more important to have a top notch front seven

No one is saying corner is more important than DL.

But anyone who thinks you can get by with a pass-rush and practice squad corners starting in your nickel package needs to be raped in their earhole thoroughly until they get a clue.

milkman
03-04-2006, 09:44 AM
Marginal corners + Pro Bowl safeties + a Pro Bowl corner in 2 of 3, not practice squad guys.

Get real.

And in one of those 3, they had a couple of scrubs starting and playing the nickel, with Troy Brown as the dime.

They won with Pop Warner quality corners.

Chief Roundup
03-04-2006, 09:44 AM

But anyone who thinks you can get by with a pass-rush and practice squad corners starting in your nickel package needs to be raped in their earhole thoroughly until they get a clue.
Uh easy there keep your tool in the shed you earholer. :p
I didn't say practice squad guys. Did anyone here me say that??????? :shake: ROFL

milkman
03-04-2006, 09:45 AM

**** you dick breath.

You think Randall Gay and Troy Brown are anything other than practice squad quality.

B_Ambuehl
03-04-2006, 09:46 AM
If it comes down to Ty Hill and any other DE other the NC state kid (who will definitely be gone) and Tamba Hali, I would have to go with Tye Hill. Main reason being the other available options at DL are mainly just 3rd down pass rushers who can't play every down. Ray Edwards might be an option but he's more of a 2nd round type guy with good upside as an every down DL. Hali should be a damn good every down DL who can do it all.

My idea of a great offseason and draft.

free agency - DT kimomeatu from Ravens.
draft- 1st round- CB Tye Hill
2nd round- DE Ray Edwards (purdue)

phxchief
03-04-2006, 10:14 AM
**** you dick breath.

I feel sorry for your parents.

bringbackmarty
03-04-2006, 10:21 AM
kiwanuka, or a safety, cornerback in a later round. We will cut wesley or woods, probably wesley.

bringbackmarty
03-04-2006, 10:24 AM
And in one of those 3, they had a couple of scrubs starting and playing the nickel, with Troy Brown as the dime.

They won with Pop Warner quality corners.
and a linebacker at safety one year.

bringbackmarty
but they had belichek

bringbackmarty
we don't

phxchief
03-04-2006, 10:38 AM
and a linebacker at safety one year.

A lot of teams do these types of things.

Linebackers are just stronger, typically slower safeties, even though the position is becoming more athletic every year it seems.

phxchief
03-04-2006, 10:40 AM
but they had belichek

And that's that.

Anyone who thinks we could use our practice squad corners, even with a pass rush, to miraculously cure the defense is kididng themselves.

It sure would HELP greatly.... we all know that. But it wouldn't cure it. Pass rush is all well and good but if the coverage is garbage, good QBs WILL hit receivers.

NE had a great mind divising schemes and coverages to confuse QBs to go along with the great pressure they got.... we have a bonehead who spends more time cussing than he does creating defenses and would rely solely on a pass rush, which wouldn't work.

SNR
03-04-2006, 02:02 PM
Sapp or Alphonso Hodge. Hodge could be the starter.I'd like to see Sapp stick at NB. Hodge could be a starter, sure, but what are the odds of that happening? He'd have to improve a HEEELLLL of a lot to get a shot at playing even half of the snaps on defense.

SNR
03-04-2006, 02:03 PM
And that's that.

Anyone who thinks we could use our practice squad corners, even with a pass rush, to miraculously cure the defense is kididng themselves.

It sure would HELP greatly.... we all know that. But it wouldn't cure it. Pass rush is all well and good but if the coverage is garbage, good QBs WILL hit receivers.

NE had a great mind divising schemes and coverages to confuse QBs to go along with the great pressure they got.... we have a bonehead who spends more time cussing than he does creating defenses and would rely solely on a pass rush, which wouldn't work.But... but... the playbook... it's so big...

Tribal Warfare
03-04-2006, 04:52 PM
BAA- if Hali, Bunkley, Huff, or Hill are available.

I'd take either Huff or Hali.