PDA

View Full Version : David Cornwell on CBA

Mr. Laz
03-04-2006, 11:11 AM
i don't really know who this guy is ... but they had him on the NFL network.

apparently he's worked both sides of the CBA

he's been a player agent and general consultant for NFL(1987-1992)

said some interesting things

1. players are trying to double dip ... want bigger pie and bigger slice of the bigger pie.

2. owner want salary cap formula to include the cost to the owners when spending on profit generating items. ie when an owner spends for luxury boxes etc ... that should subtract for total salary pool that cap is decided by.

3. owners have already agree to bigger pie ... but are resisting the double dip by the players to get bigger % too.

4. thinks that this current situation hurts players more ... but long term it hurts everyone.

5. there will be a work stoppage IF nothing gets done by the end of the 2007 season. won't go on ... strike or lockout.

6. without a successful CBA the NFL will fall apart...The success of the league is built on the financial structure of the CBA

7. thinks the current CBA issues really hurt the big name free agents because they are pretty much prevented from getting a big contract right now.

8. if they agree to a new CBA this weekend the salary cap just jump up about 10-15 million dollars. (94 million now)

Taco John
03-04-2006, 11:29 AM
I love how all the evidence shows the players being greedy, but Mecca is still going to tell us all how we don't understand, and how he's got the most accurate insight into why the players are right.

cdcox
03-04-2006, 11:39 AM
1. players are trying to double dip ... want bigger pie and bigger slice of the bigger pie.

Not true. The players are going for a bigger pie, but are willing to take a smaller cut of it.

Current CBA: mid 60's (don't remember the exact number)
Lastest NFLPA proposal: 60%
Latest Owner's proposal: 56.2%

No doubt the total $ for the players will be better regardless of the agreement. But Cornwell is acting as the owner's mouth piece if he is trying to convince us that the players are going for a bigger slice of a bigger pie.

Mr. Laz
03-04-2006, 11:42 AM
Not true. The players are going for a bigger pie, but are willing to take a smaller cut of it.

Current CBA: mid 60's (don't remember the exact number)
Lastest NFLPA proposal: 60%
Latest Owner's proposal: 56.2%

No doubt the total $ for the players will be better regardless of the agreement. But Cornwell is acting as the owner's mouth piece if he is trying to convince us that the players are going for a bigger slice of a bigger pie.

then i suggest you send an email to mr. cornwell and tell him he's full of chit.

cdcox
03-04-2006, 11:46 AM
then i suggest you send an email to mr. cornwell and tell him he's full of chit.

Eh, it's part of the game. Upshaw has been blowing farts out or his mouth for weeks.

"We will not under any circumstances agree to a delay in the beginning of free agency"

"If the the 2007 season goes uncapped, the cap will be gone forever."

"The percentage of revenues that the cap is based on needs to begin with a 6."

I'm pretty sure none of these statements is an absolute.

Mr. Laz
03-04-2006, 11:49 AM
Eh, it's part of the game.

except for mr. cornwell isn't really part of the game ... that i know of.

doens't work for either side

cdcox
03-04-2006, 11:50 AM
except for mr. cornwell isn't really part of the game ... that i know of.

doens't work for either side

That doesn't mean he's completely impartial.

Brock
03-04-2006, 12:01 PM
That doesn't mean he's completely impartial.

He's appearing on the NFL network. I'd say it's mostly NFL propoganda.