PDA

View Full Version : NFL Talks off: Dead as a Doornail

foxman
03-04-2006, 02:24 PM
NFL | Talks between NFL and NFLPA break off again
Sat, 4 Mar 2006 12:57:04 -0800

ESPNews reports the NFL and NFLPA have broken off talks once again regarding a new CBA. Union rep Gene Upshaw is reportedly headed back to Washington and sources have noted the deal is "dead as a doornail."

:cuss: :banghead: :mad: :deevee: :( Sorry if this is a repost

Coach
03-04-2006, 02:26 PM
Damn, that's not good news.

the Talking Can
03-04-2006, 02:26 PM
idiots

Halfcan
03-04-2006, 02:28 PM
Get ready for a strike.

Dunit35
03-04-2006, 02:29 PM
There goes my happiness. I'm sorry but the people that can't get it done have idea what they are going to do to this league.

Sure-Oz
03-04-2006, 02:37 PM
Not the NFL!!! :(

STupid ****ers

Bugeater
03-04-2006, 02:40 PM
:shake:

Dunit35
03-04-2006, 02:41 PM
I was really thinking something was going to get done. But I guess not. One more day, maybe something magical will happen.

stevieray
03-04-2006, 02:48 PM
I'm embarrassed that Tom Condon wore a Chiefs uniform.

KCFalcon59
03-04-2006, 02:57 PM
Gene Upshaw needs to die.

Coach
03-04-2006, 03:05 PM
Gene Upshaw needs to die.

Not only him, but some of the owners need to get their shit together. Everyone does realize that it doesn't matter what % you get if this stupid a** posturing pisses off the fans enough... right?

I mean, what is an extra 4 percent if the NFL's gross revenue goes down 15%? Fans are pissed and the owners and players need to realize that they get 100% of their revenue from US. They both are trying to bite the hand that feeds those morons.

beavis
03-04-2006, 03:06 PM
I mean, what is an extra 4 percent...
Probably about $300 million, give or take. Pocket change to anyone on this board.

foxman
03-04-2006, 03:09 PM
Probably about $300 million, give or take. Pocket change to anyone on this board.

Yeah, but the other 56% represents over 3.3 billion.

VonneMarie
03-04-2006, 03:09 PM
If they strike I'll go crazy. :banghead: :cuss: :banghead: :cuss:

petegz28
03-04-2006, 03:15 PM
I see nothing about this on the web site.

foxman
03-04-2006, 03:22 PM
I see nothing about this on the web site.

It's been on ESPN news for 2 hours

VonneMarie
03-04-2006, 03:42 PM
One last chance...

NFL News

No progress, but talks to resume March 5

NFL.com wire reports

NEW YORK (March 4, 2006) -- Talks between the NFL and its union broke off with no progress, although the sides agreed to meet again March 5.

The stalemate increased the possibility that many high-priced free agents would come on the market as teams struggled to get under the salary cap by 6 p.m. ET on March 5, the extended deadline for the start of free agency.

"No progress has been made, but we expect more discussions to take place before Sunday night," NFL spokesman Greg Aiello said.

Union officials did not immediately return phone calls from The Associated Press.

Earlier in the week, negotiations broke off and the league set the salary cap for free agency at $94.5 million. Teams with a salary load far higher than that had anticipated an agreement that could have given them extra room to keep veterans, perhaps $10 million more with a new deal.

If not, it's likely a number of teams would have to make wholesale cuts, some involving big-name veterans such as Kansas City's Will Shields, Tampa Bay's Derrick Brooks and the New York Jets' Kevin Mawae and Chad Pennington.

Gene Upshaw, executive director of the NFL Players Association, said after the earlier talks broke off that the NFL was offering 56.2 percent of its total revenues to the players. Upshaw has said he will not go under 60 percent.

But the problem involves more than that, notably a dispute among owners over revenue sharing. Low-revenue teams complain that they would have to contribute a higher percentage of the money they get from advertising, naming rights and other nontelevision and ticket revenue than big-market teams.

Upshaw always has wanted that issue decided first among the owners, but that isn't likely happen in these last-minute talks, which began March 3 after the deadline for free agency was extended three days from 12:01 a.m. ET on March 3 until March 6 at the same time.

The labor agreement, extended several times since it was agreed to in 1992, has another two years to run. But 2006 would be the last year with a salary cap.

There would be no cap next year, but also many changes in the rules, including some the players find unappealing -- six years for a player to get to free agency instead of four, and no minimum amount that teams have to spend.

AP NEWS
The Associated Press News Service

Copyright 2006, The Associated Press, All Rights Reserved

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/9283769

banyon
03-04-2006, 04:11 PM
:cuss: Jerry Jones.

Mr. Laz
03-04-2006, 05:01 PM
Get ready for a strike.

nah ... not yet

both sides are playing hardball this year because they both have something to gain by not reaching an agreement right now.

Upshaw has been getting heat for being too soft on the owners ... they keep looking at MLB and NBA and the players want more and blame him.

the owners get a lower than normal cap year this year

next year they will be serious

Sure-Oz
03-04-2006, 05:08 PM
nba and mlb both suck pretty much and popularity went down, i loved the nfl for many reasons and not being selfish greedy bastards one reason.

BigRock
03-04-2006, 05:16 PM
This shit is getting OLD. We'll hear nothing but gloom and doom until Sunday night, and then what do you want to bet they'll extend the deadline again?

JBucc
03-04-2006, 05:20 PM
Get it done tommorow or don't get it done at all and let the teams get under the ****ing cap so we can start this offseason. No more pointless extensions.:cuss:

HMc
03-04-2006, 05:24 PM
Someone needs to tell Gene (and the owners) that when everything falls apart thanks to their inability to compromise, that 3.5 % of **** all is still going to be **** all.

Bowser
03-04-2006, 05:40 PM
This is nothing but a negotiating ploy. I'm not worried yet.

Hydrae
03-04-2006, 05:42 PM
Why is it that when these talks break off Upshaw immediately leaves for DC? This is the exact same thing we were told earlier in the week. If he was serious about getting this resolved he would stick around and keep pounding on a solution not leaving town.

BigMeatballDave
03-04-2006, 07:26 PM
Get ready for a strike.Or lock-out. I'm wondering if the owners might do that before the '07 season...

big nasty kcnut
03-04-2006, 07:33 PM
March 2, 2006 NFL Statement: "The NFL and the NFL Players Association have agreed to extend the start of the 2006 league year for 72 hours -- until 12:01 a.m. ET, Monday, March 6 -- in order to provide time to resume negotiations. The league year had been set to begin at 12:01 a.m. ET on Friday, March 3."

BigMeatballDave
03-04-2006, 07:37 PM
March 2, 2006 NFL Statement: "The NFL and the NFL Players Association have agreed to extend the start of the 2006 league year for 72 hours -- until 12:01 a.m. ET, Monday, March 6 -- in order to provide time to resume negotiations. The league year had been set to begin at 12:01 a.m. ET on Friday, March 3."Thanks. In other news, water is wet. Fire may burn you...

Yeah, I'm a dick...

jspchief
03-04-2006, 07:45 PM
Why is it that when these talks break off Upshaw immediately leaves for DC? This is the exact same thing we were told earlier in the week. If he was serious about getting this resolved he would stick around and keep pounding on a solution not leaving town.I think it's posturing. Upshaw is putting on a show. "OK, Ive heard enough, this is going nowhere, I'm going home." As if he can't get on a plane and be back in NY later that same day.

milkman
03-04-2006, 07:48 PM
I think it's posturing. Upshaw is putting on a show. "OK, Ive heard enough, this is going nowhere, I'm going home." As if he can't get on a plane and be back in NY later that same day.

True.

However, someone needs to lock these people in a room until they reach an agreement.

StcChief
03-04-2006, 08:26 PM
I thought with the FA period being extended it would happen.....Maybe 58% split the difference.

Bargaining in bad faith. F Gene Upshaw

Players should lynch Him.

Coach
03-04-2006, 08:28 PM
True.

However, someone needs to lock these people in a room until they reach an agreement.

Agreed! I don't care if any of them needs to go to the bathroom, nobody's going anywhere at all until a agreement is reached. If you gotta go to the bathroom, then good, hopefully that'll make you desperate to have no choice but to agree, or have fun pissing/s**tting your pants.

BigRock
03-04-2006, 08:39 PM
Even if they push back the deadline again, I doubt it'll get done. The owners aren't going to solve the problems amongst themselves in time. And, really, they still have another year to work it out to avoid a cap-less year, and two years to avoid a strike or a lockout.

But the big thing is that some players have already come out against Upshaw and the NFLPA, and we haven't even seen the massive cuts happen yet. The owners have seen that, and they know that if no deal gets done and teams are forced to cut a bunch of guys, the anger from the players will be even stronger. That's going to hurt the NFLPA's bargaining position when they sit down to talk next year, or whenever it happens. They won't be able to say "here's our number and we're not budging from it".

Hell, the owners probably don't even want the deal to get done now. Better to have a year of pissed off players to weaken the NFLPA before they go back to the negotiating table.