PDA

View Full Version : East Coast Pundits Are At It Again

T-post Tom
03-04-2006, 11:22 PM
The Rant
Stephen Cannella

Strike might be best thing for mediocre NFL
Posted: Friday March 3, 2006 12:11PM; Updated: Friday March 3, 2006 1:50PM

(I hate to give this New Yorker any pub, but I've been hearing similar stupidity from some of the east coast talk show blowhards. I guess they want the Jets and Giants to 'move on up' and finally get their piece of the pie with the Yankees, George & Weezy. It's obvious many of these assclowns actually believe that nothing exists between New York & LA. :cuss: )

So this is showdown weekend for the NFL and its union, and if the two sides can't figure out a way to extend their collective bargaining agreement there might be a work stoppage... in 2008. What drama. I haven't figured out all the details of our latest gripping sports labor spat, but I have only one question: If next season will be played under a salary cap no matter what happens this weekend, is there any way NFL players can go on strike, say, tomorrow?

Having the NFL go dark for a year or two might be more entertaining than the dreck the league has foisted upon fans in the salary cap era. Yes, the NFL is the economic model the NHL, NBA and MLB aspire to-it has cost certainty, a passive union, rich owners and financially thriving franchises in every corner of the country. (God forbide that anything thrive outside of the east coast.) That's enough to whip accountants and labor lawyers into a frenzy every Sunday. But football fans -- the ones who wipe off their face paint long enough to take a clear look at what they're watching, anyway -- know that the NFL is excruciatingly dull to watch. (What the f*Ck has he been watching?)

It's not quite the pre-lockout NHL, but it's close. Talent is diluted, and players are little more than interchangeable parts who can shift seamlessly from one team to another. There are too many franchises, and too few of them have a distinct personality, style or edge. The league likes to call that parity. I call it a league where everyone is equally mediocre. (I guess he's never watched Manning completely dominate a defense. Or a hulking Rolf shut out a premeire DE when he's not pulling out to the flat and pancaking every other defensive back and linebacker on the field. Or Dante Hall juke every Donk player on the field in one play. And maybe he forgot about a near-flawless Patriot team walking home with three Superbowl trophies.) The players union has a chance to help fix those problems, and maybe even make some money for itself in the process: It should hold strong and send the NFL salary cap into extinction. (Of course, holding strong on this or any other issue would be a first for the players union.) Losing the cap wouldn't kill competitive balance, especially if the owners continue to share revenue. (Works for baseball. :mad: )Yes, owners like Jerry Jones might spend like madmen, but sophisticated fans know by now that financial resources alone don't guarantee success in any sport. (No but it sure the he!l helps.) Besides, the league is so successful, so awash in cash, that Jones wouldn't be the only owner writing checks. The ones who spend wisely (surely there's a football version of Billy Beane out there) are the ones who will win.

A capless league won't eliminate all the factors that drain the life out of the league -- control-freak coaches, for example -- but it might make things more entertaining. And, as teams concentrate on talent instead of denuding their rosters with salary cap cuts, we might get to see some football worth watching too.

beer bacon
03-05-2006, 12:11 AM
The Yankees suck.

Bowser
03-05-2006, 12:13 AM
Sounds like a bitter Jets fan to me.

chefsos
03-05-2006, 01:07 AM
Sounds like a bitter Jets fan to me.

Baby Lee
03-05-2006, 08:31 AM
You are aware that acids are sour and BASES are bitter?

chefsos
03-05-2006, 08:34 AM
You are aware that acids are sour and BASES are bitter?
Oops. That coin flip didn't work out too well for me. Editin' time. At any rate, Jets fans are pretty sour, too.

This probably isn't funny anymore. Whether it was to begin with is open to debate. Whee!

Pasta Giant Meatball
03-05-2006, 10:07 AM
wow what a moron

milkman
03-05-2006, 10:18 AM
wow what a moron

He's not a moron.

He just wants to usher in an era where the Jets and Giants are always competitive, not realizing that the decision makers for the Jets, at least, will make that all but impossible.

Uhhh.....you're right, he is a moron.

StcChief
03-05-2006, 12:26 PM
OK so if the NFL go their way........Capless.

Bigmarket teams able to spend heavy because of better TV advertising rates. 8-11 teams may fall in this category.

NYG
NYJ
NE Pats
Washington Redskins
Baltimore Ravens????
Dallas Cowboys
Atlanta Falcons ??? (Turner's money)
Chicago Bears
Philadelphia Eagles
San Francisco 49ers ????
Seattle Seahawks ??? (Paul Allen money).

Still think we would be looking at a league split up down the road.

splatbass
03-05-2006, 12:43 PM

Bigmarket teams able to spend heavy because of better TV advertising rates. 8-11 teams may fall in this category.

Ted Turner owns the Braves, not the Falcons. The Falcons are owned by Arthur M. Blank.

gblowfish
03-05-2006, 12:43 PM

NYG
NYJ
NE Pats
Washington Redskins
Baltimore Ravens????
Dallas Cowboys
Chicago Bears
Philadelphia Eagles
San Francisco 49ers ????
Seattle Seahawks ??? (Paul Allen money).

Still think we would be looking at a league split up down the road.
Too bad Lamar Hunt is so poor.

milkman
03-05-2006, 01:33 PM
Ted Turner owns the Braves, not the Falcons. The Falcons are owned by Arthur M. Blank.

I guess he can just write Blank checks to the players.

Sorry.

Mecca
03-05-2006, 03:44 PM

Turner doesn't own the Braves either. When they had the AOL merger the Braves are now property of Time Warner. Which is why they are run as a break even venture now. Notice how they constantly let players leave.