PDA

View Full Version : Strange, new [to me] side-effect of flu bug.

Baby Lee
03-05-2006, 12:50 PM
So, this past week has been a drudgery of flu.
Started Monday with almost the start of cold sores, followed by swelling lips and complete numbness in the lips, mouth and tongue.
Swelling and numbness down Tues. Good!! Nipped it in the bud. Then the cough starts that afternoon.
Tues night and all day Weds, like having your lungs filled with fiberglass insulation. Bad day, stayed home.
Thurs, still coughing, but feeling somewhat better. Plus I had a lot to do. Out and about from 7 am to 10 pm.
Friday, nearly out of the woods.

Then Saturday morning, continuing to present, the most disgusting side-effect. I have a bit of the cough still, and some expiratory rales, and from time to time I get a sense of the 'loopy' spaceheaded feeling the flu gives you, but overshadowing it all, my 'mucus,' the sinus drainage, everything in my sinuses, my productive cough, etc. has an overpowering taste. The best I can describe it is if someone had puked in an ashtray and left it in the sun.

Drowning it in soda only gives a couple minutes relief. I haven't eaten since Friday afternoon because the idea nauseates me. I pondered brushing my teeth to get rid of it, but the smell/taste coupled with the toothbrush had me leaning for the toilet bowl for a little dry heave.

Absent that smell/taste, I feel better than I have in a while. But I'd never experienced this effect before. Anyone with insight. Am I near the end of the cycle? Is this a new '2nd round?' Bird Flu? Death's Door?

Skip Towne
03-05-2006, 12:54 PM
I was getting ready to eat dinner but now I'm not hungry. Thanks.

StcChief
03-05-2006, 12:56 PM
Too late for a flu shot....My yearly answer to this is prevention

Just have to ride it out now. Dr may have an answer.

Every new strain of flu is a mutant from before.

Did that 18 years ago, never again, flu shot every year. Last year flu-mist.

DanT
03-05-2006, 01:19 PM
Here's something that might help. You should be able to get one at Walgreen's. It helps you wash your sinuses with a solution of salt and baking soda. It's simple, effective and cheap:

http://www.sinucleanse.com/

Rain Man
03-05-2006, 01:39 PM
Holy cow. Someone needs to shoot Baby Lee and burn his body. We don't want this thing spreading.

KcMizzou
03-05-2006, 01:41 PM
Ack, the Super Flu. Captain Trips.

4th and Long
03-05-2006, 01:46 PM
Hydrate, Hydrate, Hydrate. Water, Water, Water.

NO SODA POP!

alanm
03-05-2006, 01:55 PM
Holy cow. Someone needs to shoot Baby Lee and burn his body. We don't want this thing spreading.
Yep, doesn't hurt to be too careful. :)

Baby Lee
03-05-2006, 02:04 PM
I have that disgusting taste of vomit/puke in the back of my throat once every now and then right before I go to bed... i thought it was reflux getting the best of me,
It's not so much in my throat [unless I cough, a little]. It's front and center in my sinuses. Spread by sinus drainage.

patteeu
03-05-2006, 02:22 PM
I don't know what it is, but I hope you get over it soon. I'd go ahead and try to brush my teeth if I were you though. Or gargle with some pungent antiseptic concoction like listerine. Good luck.

Mr. Kotter
03-05-2006, 02:45 PM
My intitial thought is, it sounds like the drainage I have after a really bad sinus infection has finally been over-come....with a lengthy treatment with anti-biotics.

I use to have nasty and chronic sinus infections, but had to go to a year-round dosing of Allegra to prevent them from.....developing from allergies. Colds and flu makes the situation even worse....

I have mild dust-mold allergies, that over-time will cause very nasty and stubborn sinus infections of my upper/frontal sinuses. They sneak up on me, because there's no real congestion of drainage of the lower sinuses....so the only real symptom, until they become full-blown, is a little post nasal drip (at the back of my throat.)

Once full-blown though, the breath became absolutely awful...and at night, I became a total mouth breather....which means dry, nasty, foul mouth. It's so bad, it wakes me up; drove my wife crazy.

I still get them on occasion, but not nearly as often since the Allegra....

Adept Havelock
03-05-2006, 03:15 PM

Randall Flagg? Is that you? Say hello to Nadine for me... ;)

Hang in there BL. If all else fails, try the sinus irrigation bit. Unpleasant as hell, but effective.

Baby Lee
03-05-2006, 03:36 PM
My intitial thought is, it sounds like the drainage I have after a really bad sinus infection has finally been over-come....with a lengthy treatment with anti-biotics.

I use to have nasty and chronic sinus infections, but had to go to a year-round dosing of Allegra to prevent them from.....developing from allergies. Colds and flu makes the situation even worse....

I have mild dust-mold allergies, that over-time will cause very nasty and stubborn sinus infections of my upper/frontal sinuses. They sneak up on me, because there's no real congestion of drainage of the lower sinuses....so the only real symptom, until they become full-blown, is a little post nasal drip (at the back of my throat.)

Once full-blown though, the breath became absolutely awful...and at night, I became a total mouth breather....which means dry, nasty, foul mouth. It's so bad, it wakes me up; drove my wife crazy.

I still get them on occasion, but not nearly as often since the Allegra....
I've considered, but kind of ruled out, a sinus infection. I've had those in the past, and recall them being a lot more 'productive.' I only have the tiniest of post-nasal drips, leading to my cough. Like I say, I have a lingering bit of cough, and occasional dopey-ness, this taste/smell thing is the predominant symptom at present.
And I cannot stress enough the persistent assault on the senses that it is. It's not like other tastes and smells that you eventually accomodate. They say that, even with decaying flesh, if you're around it enough, the receptors shut off and you adapt. This, . . . is a fresh assault with every breath.
And for those still concerned about my brushing habits, I managed to brush. It was just that initially, the smell and the sight of the tootbrush brought up 'afterschool special on bulimia' images that turned the ol' tummy.

morphius
03-05-2006, 03:41 PM
LOL! My first thought was Captain Trips as well.

big nasty kcnut
03-05-2006, 04:56 PM
don't take the flu shot it will give you the flu cause of the weak flu strain in it.

milkman
03-05-2006, 05:18 PM
don't take the flu shot it will give you the flu cause of the weak flu strain in it.

The only flu shot I've ever received was in the Navy, and I've never had the flu, not even after receiving that shot.