PDA

View Full Version : Junebug

Baby Lee
03-05-2006, 01:40 PM
Finished Junebug last night and am still thinking about it, so I thought I'd write to express my thoughts. Won't get into specifics just yet, so if people haven't seen it yet, they won't be spoiled.
But if you like movies that can cut you to the quick with just the right moment, or glance, or little detail, but keeps you wondering and calculating to yourself what the undertones and backstories are without blabbing them out in exposition or overwrought confrontation. If like movies that can be looked at a million different ways, each of them equally plausible, each interesting in different ways. I'd recommend this highly.

Broad strokes of the story, Chicago small art-gallery owner meets cute boy at art show and is instantly smitten. They marry. He's from Norf Cackalackey. One day she's called by her field 'art scouts' to go meet a local artist in the same area as his family, so they make a 'two birds with one stone' venture out of it. When they get there, the little brother and his [9 months pregnant] wife have moved back in with mom and dad.

The rest is best left to the viewer. But I'd like some around here to see it, and a discussion start on some of the ambiguities and shadings in the story.

Highly recommended. Especially if you've been involved with, or married into families from a different geography than you grew up in.

Baby Lee
03-05-2006, 02:02 PM
I thing I will say, that I won't think will spoil anything, is that this puts a whole new spin on;

A George, divided against himself, CANNOT STAND!!!

;)

Baby Lee
03-05-2006, 03:37 PM
Guess nobody saw it?
Rough-tough FB folks think it's a chick flick?
I wouldn't characterize it as a chick flick.
Plus, there's bewbies.

NewChief
03-05-2006, 04:09 PM
I'm definitely planning on watching it, but I've had other fish to fry so far (Walk the Line, North Country, Fearless Freaks, and DiG)

stevieray
03-05-2006, 04:21 PM
We watched it Friday.

Great movie.

Sully
03-05-2006, 05:31 PM
I have really been wanting to see it since it was at teh Tivoli. Oddly, since I see every damn movie there is, I haven't seen it yet.
Is that girl who's up for the award as good as advertised?

Reaper16
03-05-2006, 05:38 PM
I actually hated it. Mainly because I hated the people. It's like the South won the war or something. Madeline was the only decent (in terms of likeable) character in the movie. Maybe it was the mood I must have been in when I watched it, but I wanted every backwards-a** character in there to die. They annoyed me.

Reaper16
03-05-2006, 05:42 PM
It was along similar lines that I felt little sympathy for Charlize Theron's character in North Country. (A film riddled with cliches) Both Josey and Ashley are white trash incarnate. Ugh. For some reason, my mind wanders far into disgusted liberal mode when I'm watching movies I don't like.

Baby Lee
03-05-2006, 08:13 PM
I actually hated it. Mainly because I hated the people. It's like the South won the war or something. Madeline was the only decent (in terms of likeable) character in the movie. Maybe it was the mood I must have been in when I watched it, but I wanted every backwards-a** character in there to die. They annoyed me.
Well, that's honest. Ugly, but honest.
Note to self, Reaper is a simpleton.

Reaper16
03-05-2006, 08:19 PM
Well, that's honest. Ugly, but honest.
Note to self, Reaper is a simpleton.
The movie praised and seemingly exalted being simple. ;) That's why it didn't speak to me.

Baby Lee
03-05-2006, 08:25 PM
The movie praised and seemingly exalted being simple. ;) That's why it didn't speak to me.
I'm not sure you can say for certain what any of them 'was.' The strength of the storytelling in this one was the ambiguity.

Johnny - sullen or just shy?
Madeline - polite or condescending? Considerate or selfish?
Peg - judgemental or just scared

Watch it close and you'll see glimpses of beauty and possibilities of ugliness in each character.

Reaper16
03-05-2006, 08:29 PM
I'm not sure you can say for certain what any of them 'was.' The strength of the storytelling in this one was the ambiguity.

Johnny - sullen or just shy?
Madeline - polite or condescending? Considerate or selfish?
Peg - judgemental or just scared

Watch it close and you'll see glimpses of beauty and possibilities of ugliness in each character.
It's lile Crash for the Red States :)

Reaper16
03-05-2006, 08:30 PM
I'll probably watch it again and be able to look at everything without getting pissed like I did the first time.

Baby Lee
03-05-2006, 08:45 PM
It's lile Crash for the Red States :)
It was the anti-Crash. But not in a redstate/bluestate way.

Crash is about broad strokes and exposition. Everything is laid out for you like an after school special.

Junebug is about ambiguity and little details. 90 percent of the story is the one you form from your own reaction to events.

I'd posit that, if anything and limited to your heuristic, Junebug is a 'blue state' look at 'red state' material, while Crash is a 'red state' look at 'blue state' material.

Baby Lee
03-05-2006, 08:46 PM
I'll probably watch it again and be able to look at everything without getting pissed like I did the first time.
Seriously, why would you get pissed? You hate the very concept of flyover people that much?

Reaper16
03-05-2006, 08:58 PM
Seriously, why would you get pissed? You hate the very concept of flyover people that much?
No, not at all, and that's the odd thing about it. I mean, I interact with these people everyday and think nothing of it. But the way, and it's probably just this specific film, everything is portrayed just ticked me off for some reason.
Like, Madelaine is painted the villian when you've got the worst candidate for motherhood since Josey in North Country in Ashley. And it seems like anything to do with intellectualism is frowned upon. I couldn't get to the analysis I usually like to do to a film because it seemed as if I was being attacked by charicatures.

I agree with your assessment of styles in Junebug/Crash. That makes alot of sense. And I think I will watch it again just to look at subtelties.

Baby Lee
03-05-2006, 09:00 PM
No, not at all, and that's the odd thing about it. I mean, I interact with these people everyday and think nothing of it. But the way, and it's probably just this specific film, everything is portrayed just ticked me off for some reason.
Like, Madelaine is painted the villian when you've got the worst candidate for motherhood since Josey in North Country in Ashley. And it seems like anything to do with intellectualism is frowned upon. I couldn't get to the analysis I usually like to do to a film because it seemed as if I was being attacked by charicatures.

I agree with your assessment of styles in Junebug/Crash. That makes alot of sense. And I think I will watch it again just to look at subtelties.
I guess if you thought she was portrayed as a villian.

Reaper16
03-05-2006, 09:05 PM
I guess if you thought she was portrayed as a villian.
And that's just my point of view talking.

stevieray
03-05-2006, 09:09 PM
Like, Madelaine is painted the villian when you've got the worst candidate for motherhood since Josey in North Country in Ashley.

totally disagree, I think madeline was exposed to a culture he'd never experienced before, and ashley's attitude was the bright spot in a semi dysfunctional family. Her vulnerabilty was real, and in turn brought out the goodness in each of the characters.

T-post Tom
03-05-2006, 10:31 PM
Junebug is a 'blue state' look at 'red state' material, while Crash is a 'red state' look at 'blue state' material.

Stop! You pulling the board's collective I.Q. dangerously high. Keep this up & we'll have to abandon football for chess. Thank the dear Lord that I showed up to drag us back down where we belong.
:drool: